Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2019 Depth Chart

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Chincredibled for everything before the depth chart
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    hilberts might get a look at the next level
    animate said:

Saw the dawgman lazy ass depth chart yesterday and noticed that all they did was take the current depth chart and delete the seniors and guys expected to leave.

Really hoping that some of the rs freshmen and sophomores step up. Those were the classes where the talent really started to level up.

Another year of Benning at buck makes me want to chop my dick off, but then again, maybe he has a Mathis-like jump his senior year.

People disappointed with Benning are missing the point of what he's supposed to do. He has basically four responsibilities:

1. Collapse the pocket without allowing the QB to escape
    2. Set the edge on runs

3. Get sacks
    4. Cover in flats

Our entire defense is predicated on 1-2
    . 3 and 4 would be great, but they are above and beyond what's fundamental.

Right now Benning goes in the category of: solid, unspectacular.

He is doing what he's supposed to do, but doesn't make any plays in the pass game (although he's made a couple in the run game). We will level up when we get guys who can do all 3, but again - the key is - our defense is designed to be containment oriented and as such, Benning is doing a good—not great—job.

I hope he can figure out how to get off blocks like the rest of all of us, but I also recognize that he's constantly trying to make sure he doesn't Ryan Bowman-it and get past his guy on the way to the QB only to completely distort the purpose of the defense and give the QB an easy running/passing lane where they have the advantage.

In the pass game I would give Benning a C and in the run game an A-. It would be nice to have Kikaha back, but for that we'd have to actually figure out how to a) identify talent and b) recruit it.

I suspect Tryon will be a beast next year.
    I think this is the message in recruiting and is why we have trouble closing some top level DE talent. (In addition to our coach recruiting acumen at that position). A lot of top level DE's don't want to hear they are going to be playing contain football as a priority first.
    Agree, I've been saying this from the beginning. Even had some doogs dismiss this concept.

Buck-type recruits will investigate their role, investigate how they will be potentially used in Petersen's defense.

Once they hear "seal the edge ... containment ... prevent the qb from getting outside and funnel the action through the middle and collapse the field so an opportunistic backer and secondary can take advantage ... Discipline!"

That shit doesn't appeal to croots as much as "coach pete says he'll green light me to just go out there and destroy the quarterback!"

Elite croots typically run the show on the field in high school.

Hearing the message from Washington that says "if you come to Washington you have to buy into the program and if you do what we tell you to do the overall defense will be successful and thus you will be successful."

Takes a mature, slow strategy kid to appreciate that right away.
    Couldn't agree with this more ... it's something I've been saying for a while.

I also agree with Dennis in that it is sales and part of the deal is selling them on that message.

But it's hard ... I know why our defense is the way it is. Spend a weekend watching college football not tied to UW and realize how terrible teams are at playing defense and how we get pissed when UW gives up 24 or whatever and you understand that what we do largely works. We're not perfect ... but there's a lot of what we do that is right.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Looking at this another way, here's how the projected position groups stack up with this years. Development of young players assumed:

But ultimately, everything rests on Skinny. Safest bet is a 2 or 3 loss season but anything between 0 and 5 is on the table IMO.

Our OOC next year is turrible Eastern, Hawaii, and BYU again. If we lose 5 games burn it all down. Otherwise, agree. I'd expect 3 conference losses next year unless Skinny takes the offense to another level.
    Offensively we're in great shape ... I suspect that the WR position will work itself out a bit and that the most talented players will get to the top of the depth chart. I don't think it was a mistake to not redshirt Ty as it gave him the groundwork for what he's doing this season. He's talented enough that with his current path he's a 4 year player anyway so it's not a huge issue in my mind. The OL will be in some form between solid and very good next year. Some of the inconsistency issues this year will likely be covered up next year with more experience. I'm not convinced that Salvon isn't a running back ... but he needs to get reps in during the offseason and does have a fair amount of growth to make to be the next great UW RB. At this point, he's a tremendous athlete that you need to find ways to get the ball to in special situations. That being said, even if we have some RB issues next year, the options at hand throwing the ball will at least give the opportunity to spread everybody out and go from there. Dennis is right that we should aspire that Sirmon passes Haener in the next 12 months.

Defensively, this is going to be the challenge where we have a lot of youth in areas and a lack of depth in others. The LB and DB depth is potentially brutally bad. If we lose both Murphy and Rapp and aren't able to get Jordan back for another year, then we're in big trouble should we get some injuries. Young, but very talented, players will need to make massive jumps to get to where we've seen. The talent is there to do it though.

I suspect that we'll play a lot more high scoring games next year. The early portion of the season could be interesting but it looks like the schedule may cooperate a bit in that regard. A strong year as Dennis mentioned isn't beyond belief. In a lot of ways, there's no compelling reason to expect the program to go backwards next year and even to take a step forward.
  • insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If we're hoping Miller gets a 5th year via medical hardship, is it safe to assume that he's done for this season?
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Bread said:

I'm expecting atleast 1 more DB to stay next year. Also strong suspicion Shane Bowman will be getting another year.

Based on number of snaps so far this year Bynum seems to be a few steps ahead of Cook.

I have heard Byron is staying. I have heard they are trying to get Jordan and Shane Bowman back. Obviously one of those things is not like the others.

I just don't believe Byron is coming back because I think he's a first-rounder.

Also - lol at the guy on dawgman who said Byron hasn't played well this year.

These guys are so fucking stupid it hurts.
    We will know soon enough with the game Saturday if the names you mentioned do or do not make their final walks. Somebody on Doogpound mentioned UW is advertising 21 or 22 SR's that will walk in pre game ceremonies. We have 16 current Seniors on scholarships. If you count Pulu, Joyner and the 4 walk ons ( Gardner, Richmond, Biddle and Williams) then you get to that 21-22 number. Bowman and Miller might come back if this holds up.
  • KrunkJuiceKrunkJuice Member Posts: 2,046
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

If we're hoping Miller gets a 5th year via medical hardship, is it safe to assume that he's done for this season?

He's not getting a 5th year
    I don't see how he does either. We will know about Bowman if he walks in the pre game ceremony.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    animate said:

animate said:

Saw the dawgman lazy ass depth chart yesterday and noticed that all they did was take the current depth chart and delete the seniors and guys expected to leave.

Really hoping that some of the rs freshmen and sophomores step up. Those were the classes where the talent really started to level up.

Another year of Benning at buck makes me want to chop my dick off, but then again, maybe he has a Mathis-like jump his senior year.

People disappointed with Benning are missing the point of what he's supposed to do. He has basically four responsibilities:

2. Set the edge on runs

3. Get sacks
    4. Cover in flats

He is doing what he's supposed to do, but doesn't make any plays in the pass game (although he's made a couple in the run game). We will level up when we get guys who can do all 3, but again - the key is - our defense is designed to be containment oriented and as such, Benning is doing a good—not great—job.

I hope he can figure out how to get off blocks like the rest of all of us, but I also recognize that he's constantly trying to make sure he doesn't Ryan Bowman-it and get past his guy on the way to the QB only to completely distort the purpose of the defense and give the QB an easy running/passing lane where they have the advantage.

In the pass game I would give Benning a C and in the run game an A-. It would be nice to have Kikaha back, but for that we'd have to actually figure out how to a) identify talent and b) recruit it.

I think this is the message in recruiting and is why we have trouble closing some top level DE talent. (In addition to our coach recruiting acumen at that position). A lot of top level DE's don't want to hear they are going to be playing contain football as a priority first.
    Agree, I've been saying this from the beginning. Even had some doogs dismiss this concept.

Buck-type recruits will investigate their role, investigate how they will be potentially used in Petersen's defense.

Once they hear "seal the edge ... containment ... prevent the qb from getting outside and funnel the action through the middle and collapse the field so an opportunistic backer and secondary can take advantage ... Discipline!"

That shit doesn't appeal to croots as much as "coach pete says he'll green light me to just go out there and destroy the quarterback!"

Hearing the message from Washington that says "if you come to Washington you have to buy into the program and if you do what we tell you to do the overall defense will be successful and thus you will be successful."

It's sales. Close or fuck off.
    Sales is always important. I agree with that.

Problem is in the details!

Petersen is selling quality vanilla ice cream. Croots want fucking rocky road with sprinkles and shit.

Petersen is selling honda accords but croots want an Acura nsx.

Petersen is selling Rei but croots want fucking the north face or arcteryx.

That's why Petersen appeals more to slow strategy kids who's culture can appreciate what Petersen is selling.

fast strategy kids are like "why the fuck would i drive an accord?"

You have to salespeople of the year +10 just to even the playing field and currently we're levelling up due to general Petersen success but we're not all there yet.

Why the fuck would anyone drive an Accord?

animate said:

animate said:

2. Set the edge on runs

3. Get sacks
    4. Cover in flats

It's sales. Close or fuck off.
    Sales is always important. I agree with that.

Problem is in the details!

Petersen is selling quality vanilla ice cream. Croots want fucking rocky road with sprinkles and shit.

Petersen is selling honda accords but croots want an Acura nsx.

Petersen is selling Rei but croots want fucking the north face or arcteryx.

That's why Petersen appeals more to slow strategy kids who's culture can appreciate what Petersen is selling.

fast strategy kids are like "why the fuck would i drive an accord?"

You have to salespeople of the year +10 just to even the playing field and currently we're levelling up due to general Petersen success but we're not all there yet.

Why the fuck would anyone drive an Accord?
    Exactly ... it's why I drive a Turbo-engined Civic
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

He's not getting a 5th year
    Yeah there is no basis for him to get a fifth year. This shit isn't hard. Read the rules.
  • BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    2019 has me juiced! Lets go baby!

Offense:

QB: Jacob Eason
    Jacob Sirmon
    Jake Haener
    Colson Yankoff
    Dylan Morris

RB: Salvon Ahmed
    Trey Lowe: Barry Sanders 2.0, just give him a chance and get his ass on the field! His vision is insane. He'll eat up yards.
    Kamari Pleasant: Big Back! Runs hard and breaks tackles! Gotta have it!
    Sean McGrew: He's okay. Hopefully he transforms himself in the weight room.
    Richard Newton
    Cameron Davis

LT: Trey Adams
    Henry Roberts
    Matteo Mele
    Julius Buelow

LG: Henry Bainivalu: He doesn't have tackle feet. Won't be in the RT competition. He's been pushing Wattenberg for playing time all season at LG and is a better run blocker. He's powerful, moves people, and has a mean streak. He just needs to get his reads down. Once he does I think he'll win the starting job.
    Luke Wattenberg
    Troy Fautanu

C: Nick Harris
    Cole Norgaard

RG: Jaxson Kirkland
    Victor Curne
    MJ Ale

RT: Jared Hilbers: What a nice surprise! He doesn't suck!
    Corey Luciano: This dude is fucking nasty. Don't sleep on him
    Nathaniel Kalepo

WR (X): Austin Osborne: I'm still bullish on him. Best route runner on the team. The heady, reliable target this offense needs who's 6'3 instead of a 5'10 midget like Fuller.
    Ty Jones: Love him but he's a bit stiff as a route runner and not a great speed or separation guy. Great 50-50 ball guy though. Eason won't be scared to throw it up to him and give him chances to make those highlight catches he always makes.
    Marquees Spiker

WR (Z): Terrell Bynum: He's been getting more reps in games but Browning never throws him the ball cuz he's a bitch and only throws to guys he's comfortable throwing to but I think he's gonna be really good and a breakout guy. He's built like a RB. One of the best blockers at WR. Adds an element of physicality and toughness to the group.
    Alex Cook: He's starting to fill out and look the part. Another guy I hope takes a big jump forward.
    Andre Baccellia: Fuck off JAG!

Slot (R): Aaron Fuller: Old faithful.
    Chico McClatcher: Is he coming back? Hope so.
    Andre Baccellia: I said fuck off!

TE: Black Beast
    Cade Otton
    Jacob Kizer
    Jusstis Warren
    Devin Culp

Defense:

BUCK: Joe Tryon
    Benning Potoa'e: Hope he leans out and loses 20 pounds.
    Ryan Bowman
    Zion Tupuola-Fetui
    Laiatu Latu: Please!
    Bralen Trice

NT: Tuli Letuligasenoa
    Taki Taimani OR Josiah Bronson
    Jacob Bandes OR Sama Paama OR Faatui Tuitele (Please)

DT: Levi Onwuzurike
    Shane Bowman OR Josiah Bronson
    John Clark OR Mosiah Nasili-Liu
    Faatui Tuitele

SDE (certain packages): Shane Bowman
    Mosiah Nasili-Liu
    Draco Bynum
    Stephon Wright (Hopefully)

MIK: Brandon Wellington
    DJ Beavers: Can't stay healthy. Possible medical retire guy.
    MJ Tafisi OR Daniel Heimuli (hopefully)

WIL: Jackson Sirmon
    Edefuan Ulofoshio
    Josh Calvert
    Miki Ah You

SAM: Ariel Ngata: Hope he's 230+ next season.
    Ryan Bowman
    Zion Tupuola-Fetui

CB1: Keith Taylor
    Dominique Hampton

CB2: Elijah Molden OR
    Kyler Gordon

Nickel: Myles Bryant OR
    Elijah Molden OR
    Kyler Gordon

SS: Julius Irvin
    Asa Turner

FS: Brandon McKinney
    Kamren Fabiculanan

Offense:

Jacob Sirmon
    Jake Haener
    Colson Yankoff
    Dylan Morris

Trey Lowe: Barry Sanders 2.0, just give him a chance and get his ass on the field! His vision is insane. He'll eat up yards.
    Richard Newton
    Cameron Davis

Henry Roberts
    Matteo Mele
    Julius Buelow

LG: Henry Bainivalu: He doesn't have tackle feet. Won't be in the RT competition. He's been pushing Wattenberg for playing time all season at LG and is a better run blocker. He's powerful, moves people, and has a mean streak. He just needs to get his reads down. Once he does I think he'll win the starting job.
    Luke Wattenberg
    Troy Fautanu

Cole Norgaard

Victor Curne
    MJ Ale

Nathaniel Kalepo

WR (X): Austin Osborne: I'm still bullish on him. Best route runner on the team. The heady, reliable target this offense needs who's 6'3 instead of a 5'10 midget like Fuller.
    Ty Jones: Love him but he's a bit stiff as a route runner and not a great speed or separation guy. Great 50-50 ball guy though. Eason won't be scared to throw it up to him and give him chances to make those highlight catches he always makes.
    Marquees Spiker

WR (Z): Terrell Bynum: He's been getting more reps in games but Browning never throws him the ball cuz he's a bitch and only throws to guys he's comfortable throwing to but I think he's gonna be really good and a breakout guy. He's built like a RB. One of the best blockers at WR. Adds an element of physicality and toughness to the group.
    Alex Cook: He's starting to fill out and look the part. Another guy I hope takes a big jump forward.

Cade Otton
    Jacob Kizer
    Jusstis Warren
    Devin Culp

Defense:

Ryan Bowman
    Zion Tupuola-Fetui
    Bralen Trice

Faatui Tuitele

Mosiah Nasili-Liu
    Draco Bynum

Edefuan Ulofoshio
    Josh Calvert
    Miki Ah You

Ryan Bowman
    Zion Tupuola-Fetui

Dominique Hampton

Kyler Gordon

Elijah Molden OR
    Kyler Gordon

Asa Turner

Kamren Fabiculanan

You called Trey Lowe Barry Sanders 2.0 you megadoog fuck.

Stopped reading after that.
    I'm not comparing him to NFL Hall of Fame Barry Sanders you dumb fuck. But high school film to high school film, yeah, pretty fucking similar.

Offense:

Jacob Sirmon
    Jake Haener
    Colson Yankoff
    Dylan Morris

Richard Newton
    Cameron Davis

Henry Roberts
    Matteo Mele
    Julius Buelow

Luke Wattenberg
    Troy Fautanu

Cole Norgaard

Victor Curne
    MJ Ale

Nathaniel Kalepo

Marquees Spiker

Cade Otton
    Jacob Kizer
    Jusstis Warren
    Devin Culp

Defense:

Ryan Bowman
    Zion Tupuola-Fetui
    Bralen Trice

Faatui Tuitele

Mosiah Nasili-Liu
    Draco Bynum

Edefuan Ulofoshio
    Josh Calvert
    Miki Ah You

Ryan Bowman
    Zion Tupuola-Fetui

Dominique Hampton

Kyler Gordon

Elijah Molden OR
    Kyler Gordon

Asa Turner

Kamren Fabiculanan

You called Trey Lowe Barry Sanders 2.0 you megadoog fuck.

Stopped reading after that.
    I'm not comparing him to NFL Hall of Fame Barry Sanders you dumb fuck. But high school film to high school film, yeah, pretty fucking similar.
    Yes, you watched tons of Barry Sanders high school film I'm sure.

Barry Sanders had the best RB season in the history of college football. Considering this is a college football bored your comparison should be taken as a CFB comparison. And it's doog as fuck.
    https://youtu.be/KPf62_5rNbA

https://youtu.be/R5E6fhUdcw8

Lowe actually looks better than Sanders in high school. But Sanders had to play on grass and in mud to it's close. How the fuck do you know Trey Lowe won't be as good as Barry Sanders in college? Oh that's right, you don't so shut the fuck up bitch. It's a projection by a fan on a message board. It means nothing. The fucking point wasn't that I think he's going to put up the most yards in college football and win the fucking Heisman. I can use hyperbole when making the point that I think he's similar to Barry Sanders (same size, vision, amazing ability to make people miss in tight spaces) and is going to be really good for UW especially if he gets the chance to play RB. That is all bitch. Just because I say a player is similar to Barry Sanders (which he absolutely is) doesn't mean I'm saying he's going to have the same college or pro career as Barry fucking Sanders.