Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

People living in poverty in America

SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
Since the unwed mother angle of the thread below got started when someone cited Social Programs as a great way to eliminate poverty I thought I would toss out the question. What impact of allowing millions of illiterate, and low skilled into this country, many of them illegally, do you think has on the poverty rate of this country and what impact do you think these low skilled immigrants have on the existing wage base for low skilled American workers?

Do you think these existing workers are helped in their quest to get themselves out of poverty with this influx of immigrants or are they hurt by it?

Comments

• oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Would like to hear @creepycoug 's views on this subject.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

Since the unwed mother angle of the thread below got started when someone cited Social Programs as a great way to eliminate poverty I thought I would toss out the question. What impact of allowing millions of illiterate, and low skilled into this country, many of them illegally, do you think has on the poverty rate of this country and what impact do you think these low skilled immigrants have on the existing wage base for low skilled American workers?

Do you think these existing workers are helped in their quest to get themselves out of poverty with this influx of immigrants or are they hurt by it?

Let's start with facts then we can answer your question.

1) there's been a net zero migration the last 10 years.

2) most illegals enter the country legally first then overstay their Visa.

3) the number of legal immigrants we allow each year is about 60,000.

Ok?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Someone's got to do America's cooking and cleaning.

Someone's got to do America's cooking and cleaning.

Don't forget bean picking.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,483
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Ok?
    FOS!
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Ok?
    I think you mean Let’s start with raft of bullshit that doesn’t address a fucking word I said
    It completely addresses what you said. But ok!
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,919
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Ok?
    And of course, you couldn't have a Hondo post without him talking straight of of his ass.

Since 2000, legal immigrants to the United States number approximately 1,000,000 per year, of whom about 600,000 are Change of Status who already are in the U.S. Legal immigrants to the United States now are at their highest level ever, at just over 37,000,000 legal immigrants.
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2018
    Here's a graph showing the total annual number of US legal immigrants has averaged over a million a year since 2000.

https://migrationpolicy.org/programs/data-hub/charts/Annual-Number-of-US-Legal-Permanent-Residents

Hondo is full of shit.
    SFGbob said:

Here's a graph showing the total annual number of US legal immigrants has averaged over a million a year since 2000.

https://migrationpolicy.org/programs/data-hub/charts/Annual-Number-of-US-Legal-Permanent-Residents

Hondo is full of shit.

So I was wrong but so are you. I was talking permanent visas. Your number includes temporary and tourist visas. Here are the actual stats I was referring to. (Below is copy pasta). The number I was referring to are the work visas at 70k. I didn't include the families and low skilled workers. Either way, we were both wrong but it's not millions a year that your original contention was.

The vast majority (about 80 percent) are tourist visas that are good for people to come and go up to six months at a time over a five-to-10-year period. People with tourist visas are almost always not allowed to the work in the U.S.

There are also temporary visas for students, diplomats, members of the media, fiancés, religious workers, victims of crime and more.

Another large group in the nonimmigrant category are employment visas. These can be transfers to the U.S. within international companies (70,000) and their families (86,000) and low-skilled seasonal workers (220,000).

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/04/19/gq-visas/
    Standard Supporter
    Hondo doubles down on dumbfuck.

This chart tracks the number of people who annually are granted legal permanent residence (also known as getting a green card). Green-card holders are permitted to live and work in the country indefinitely, to join the armed forces, and to apply for U.S. citizenship after five years (three if married to a U.S. citizen).

Foreign students and diplomats aren't granted permanent legal residence. You're either a liar or a fucking moron. Take your pick Hondo.

• dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Would like to hear @creepycoug 's views on this subject.

Here you go:

Fuck off.
    SFGbob said:

Hondo doubles down on dumbfuck.

This chart tracks the number of people who annually are granted legal permanent residence (also known as getting a green card). Green-card holders are permitted to live and work in the country indefinitely, to join the armed forces, and to apply for U.S. citizenship after five years (three if married to a U.S. citizen).

Foreign students and diplomats aren't granted permanent legal residence. You're either a liar or a fucking moron. Take your pick Hondo.

Ok so it's about million a year.
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2018
    So you're both a liar and a dumbfuck.

Don't feel bad Hondo, you were only off by 940,000. Hell and I didn't even bother to check any of the other bullshit numbers you tossed out there I just knew immediately that you 60K number was complete bullshit. You net zero migration claim is also a fucking lie.

Btw, Nice touch with that lie about my number including tourist and temporary visa numbers. You've got a couple of other fellow liberal dipshits here that probably swayed.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    SFGbob said:

Your first mistake was using the term "workers" to describe the considerable population of able-bodied Americans who would rather work the system than work their way out of poverty. But you and your friends probably don't care about that so much. Way more fun to focus on the much smaller problem of undocumented brownies.

Nobody wants uncontrolled immigration; but I find it terrible interesting that the people so obsessed with that issue are relatively quiet about the much bigger problem of the welfare state. The toothless hillbilly in Arkansas is a toothless hillbilly because he and his family suck; it has nothing to do with Pablo.

You also assume that immigration is zero/sum for domestic workers. It's not.

This country's system is based on competition; it is not meant to function on irrational guarantees of work and wages. If you want to pay people $55k a year + benies to pick fruit then you put up your capital and do it and quit whining.

Finally, if you're going to ask rhetorical questions, try and make them less obvious.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Is it Friday yet?
    Standard Supporter

I'm quiet about the problems with the welfare state? You know me so fucking well its spooky
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    SFGbob said:

I'm quiet about the problems with the welfare state? You know me so fucking well its spooky

Ok!!!

As it relates to protecting American workers and wages from competitive labor, put up your own capital to the 'problem' and then get back to me. Until then, I'm not interested in the question.
  • SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

SFGbob said:

Ok!!!

As it relates to protecting American workers and wages from competitive labor, put up your own capital to the 'problem' and then get back to me. Until then, I'm not interested in the question.
    pay your own cotton pickers more if youre such a humanitarian
    yes i own 500 slaves so what