Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It appears the tax cuts aren't paying for themselves

Comments

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Taxes aren’t revenue

Taxes are necessary for common things like roads, police, fire fighters, schools, emergency services, disaster fund, SSI, and reasonable defense. Everything else is legalized theft.

Taxes should be used as an investment in growing the tax base. Everything you listed offers the stability needed to do that. You also need social programs that help eliminate poverty and offer a massive ROI that makes our economy stronger.

We should make every effort to eliminate poverty, not because it makes you feel good, but because it's the easiest way to grow our economy.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

A government program has to be the absolute worst way to try and eliminate poverty.

If you really want to do something that will keep people from living in poverty in America today, you'd encourage people to get married before they have kids and then after they are married stay married.

Poverty in America today is almost solely a function of personal behavior and most social programs act as vehicles that keep people in poverty.

Free education is a government program to help eliminate poverty. You want to start charging for high school?
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

A government program has to be the absolute worst way to try and eliminate poverty.

If you really want to do something that will keep people from living in poverty in America today, you'd encourage people to get married before they have kids and then after they are married stay married.

Poverty in America today is almost solely a function of personal behavior and most social programs act as vehicles that keep people in poverty.

Free education is a government program to help eliminate poverty. You want to start charging for high school?
    42% of my property tax goes to the school district. I’m already paying for high school.
  • Options
    USMChawk said:

SFGbob said:

42% of my property tax goes to the school district. I’m already paying for high school.
    Really?

Free [Tax-funded] education is a government program used to help eliminate poverty. You want to start charging [individual students] for high school?
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Do you consider spending on Education to be welfare? When you were talking about spending on "social programs" in order to eliminate poverty I didn't get the sense that you were talking about public school spending.

• Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    SFGbob said:

Assuming this is a valid solution to poverty (it's not) how do you implement your freedom loving strategy?
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    SFGbob said:

Instead of government intervention in welfare. You want government intervention in marriage and family values. To have all of America align their values with yours. Makes sense.

El oh El.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Do you consider spending on Education to be welfare? When you were talking about spending on "social programs" in order to eliminate poverty I didn't get the sense that you were talking about public school spending.

What's the difference? Both are tax-funded efforts in increasing the socioeconomic mobility of the US.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2018

SFGbob said:

Assuming this is a valid solution to poverty (it's not) how do you implement your freedom loving strategy?
    First of all tell me why it's not a valid solution to deal with poverty? Take a look at the numbers.

If want to ensure that people in America today don't end up living in poverty you would encourage them to do 4 simple things.

1) Don't drop out of high school.

2) Don't have kids until you're married and once you get married stay married.

3) Get a job, any fucking job and keep it and do not quit that job until you've lined up a better or equal job.

4) Don't abuse drugs and don't abuse alcohol.

Do all of these things and the odds that either you or your kids will be living in poverty are extremely fucking low.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,274
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Instead of government intervention in welfare. You want government intervention in marriage and family values. To have all of America align their values with yours. Makes sense.

El oh El.
    Why do you assume it takes the government to teach people that if they are responsible they won't be living in poverty? It doesn't
  • Options
    SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Gonna need @Swaye to weigh in on @SFGbob's make-everyone-get-married platform.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2018
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

El oh El.
    Who do you pretend the strawman is when you fuck it in the ass Hondo?

I would like society as a whole to place as much stigma on having children out of wedlock as they do on say smoking or using the the phrase "that's so gay." I didn't say anything about government intervention my strawman ass fucking Kunt of friend.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Squirt said:

If you wear your seatbelt you have a better chance of surviving a wreck. Doesn't mean the government has to force you to wear it even though they do. It used to be done with public service announcements and the AD Council

You want to knock some chick up at 17 and marry her and life in a trailer park the government will let you.

The other side of the coin is why should the government pay for your shitty choice?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,893
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

You will never "balance the budget" your way out of national debt, both because it's super hard and because politicians are greedy pos who don't pay for the bills they incur.

We do however, have the ability to grow GDP to the point where the debt is back to "acceptable" levels.

This was, and always has been the argument. Even Clinton knew this.

I agree that we'll never "balance the budget". Hell, we've only been in the black for a few a couple of years in the entire post WWII era. BUT the I am skeptical of the view that we can grow our way back to debt being at a manageable percentage of GDP w/o dealing with the long term entitlement monster.

Sven is right. #oldpeopletogitmo
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Squirt said:

Not what I said either. I just said that you were really serious about reducing poverty you'd strongly encourage people to get married before having kids. There was a very valid reason why that social stigma existed and it wasn't all about people being puritanical prudes.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Squirt said:

Not what I said either. I just said that you were really serious about reducing poverty you'd strongly encourage people to get married before having kids. There was a very valid reason why that social stigma existed and it wasn't all about people being puritanical prudes.
    Ok I'll bite. How do you encourage marriage without government intervention.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

El oh El.
    Who do you pretend the strawman is when you fuck it in the ass Hondo?

I would like society as a whole to place as much stigma on having children out of wedlock as they do on say smoking or using the the phrase "that's so gay." I didn't say anything about government intervention my strawman ass fucking Kunt of friend.
    More homoerotic talk. You need a good pegging and a cigarette to calm down.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

SFGbob said:

Squirt said:

Ok I'll bite. How do you encourage marriage without government intervention.
    Behold the modern democrat

Can't even conceive of something being possible with out the Gubmint forcing you
  • Options
    SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    SFGbob said:

Squirt said:

I know. I was just trying to have a laugh.