Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Class of 2019 Projections

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

First off, Helton is getting unfairly criticized. How can you expect to win with a QB that should be a Sr in high school? If he is winning less than 6 games when JT is a Jr then might, maybe, but people are being completely unfair to that guy. Completely unfair.

But if they do to something stupid and fire him, how many of the Duck's commits become fair game? With a good coach (or at least a good recruiter) I can picture them poaching at least 4 or 5 of those guys to cobble together a last-minute recruiting class.

Usc would have to fire him pretty damn quick then, right? Early signing period and all.

Tsio addressed this concept a few pods back iirc. .
  • Options
    guntloveguntlove Member Posts: 784
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited October 2018
    UW will finish with:

Daniel Heimuli: UW lean

Faatui Tuitele: UW lean

Stephon Wright: UW lean IMO

Isaiah Foskey: UW vs Notre Dame, Notre Dame has yet to beat us for a guy so why should I think this time will be different?

Sean Rhyan: USC's O-line is trash. They're one of the worst rushing teams in the country. If Helton isn't fired, their O-line coach definitely will be. Where else is he going to go if O-line player development at USC sucks? Huff is probably the coolest O-line coach recruiting him and probably has the best relationship with him.

Bru McCoy: USC coaching sucks, he and his dad love UW and Coach Pete.

Kyle Ford: USC coaching sucks. He has a bunch of homies on the team at UW already. Would fit right in and knows he'll get developed here.

and maybe Drew Fowler or the 3* BTE who hasn't been offered yet if they have room.

Doog it Up!
  • Options

UW will finish with:

Isaiah Foskey: UW vs Notre Dame, Notre Dame has yet to beat us for a guy so why should I think this time will be different?

Sean Rhyan: USC's O-line is trash. They're one of the worst rushing teams in the country. If Helton isn't fired, their O-line coach definitely will be. Where else is he going to go if O-line player development at USC sucks? Huff is probably the coolest O-line coach recruiting him and probably has the best relationship with him.

Kyle Ford: USC coaching sucks. He has a bunch of homies on the team at UW already. Would fit right in and knows he'll get developed here.

and maybe Drew Fowler or the 3* BTE who hasn't been offered yet if they have room.

Doog it Up!

Obk level delusional, but if happens I will donate $129 to have obk banned for a week
    Not delusional this time around. If you were one of these elite recruits would you go to USC over UW right now? You'd have to be stupid as fuck right? Their current coaching staff is trash so if you're going to USC you're either going to have a shit coaching staff that can't develop players and can't game plan or a new coaching staff that you didn't sign up for that might also turn out to be shit. UW is in prime position to be a safety net for these elite recruits that would traditionally go to SC but won't because of the instability there.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

UW will finish with:

Doog it Up!

We currently have 18 commits (excluding Ford) and your list gets us to 26 if we pull everybody ... also need to keep in mind Jordon Lolohea returning from his mission as well which adds 1 more

That big of a class is doable provided we have roster space as we took 20 in last year’s class and with some of these guys being early enrollees they can be counted backwards.

Then the question is the counting math of of how do you get to 85 ...
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    I think Jordan is going to be for 2021
  • Options
    UDubHusky23UDubHusky23 Member Posts: 889
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

UW will finish with:

Doog it Up!

Screenshotted to make fun of you after signing day!

I feel good about Tuitele and Heimuli maybe a third in Wright or Foskey.

Other guys would be massive pulls for this staff.

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Continued from prior post ...

If I give you all of the guys on the list except for Foskey, that puts the number up to 92 PRIOR to any early entrants, couch sales, or retirements

At the early entry level, there are a few candidates:

Taylor Rapp
    Byron Murphy

Then you have couch sellers and/or medical retirement possibilities:

Quinten Pounds
    Devin Burleson
    Jason Scrempos
    Jordan Chin
    Myles Rice
    Isaiah Gilchrist
    Van Soderberg

If all go you’re looking at room for 2 more ...

However, when you look at the depth, particularly on D, there are also some massive holes that need to be addressed:

1) DL will almost exclusively be comprised of this class and those RS’ing this year + Levi ... finding a grad transfer would be huge here

2) All of the LB depth is going to sit in this class plus those RS’ing this year. You have some upper class guys in Wellington and Beavers (not mentioning Manu) but they struggle to stay healthy. Another area where a grad transfer would be good.

3) Barring a position switch plus Rapp/Murphy leaving early there’s the potential for a massive depth issue in 2020 depending on what Molden/Taylor/McKinney do (do any of them leave early???) ... currently there isn’t anybody on the DB depth chart for 2019 as a sophomore ... so it wouldn’t be the worst thing to add another number here unless we plan on having a MASSIVE 2020 class

BTW, speaking of 2020 class, offense will desperately need numbers at RB and TE ... particularly if we create a void in the 2019 class at TE

There’s also the who makes a potential position switch argument as well ... but given our LB/DB depth chart I think it’s reasonable to expect continued special teams challenges in 2019.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye said:

This is cool. But, why don't we all just agree to scrap this composite bullshit? ESPN is terrible and distorts the rankings too much. Just list the 247 scores, and while not perfect, it is better than including the faggots at ESPN who fuck it all up completely.

I would, it's just that the composite is the basis for Bud Elliott's foundational research on the whole "need blue chips on at least half your roster to win the title".

If we're tracking how we rate on his metric then we have to use the composite. If we're using the metric of our choosing then we're basically acknowledging the ratio is BS because it's based on a flawed premise anyway and we can stop worrying about it.

I'm good either way. Personally I much prefer the 247 ratings but obviously they like our? guys better so duh.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    guntlove said:

@HillsboroDuck, Ecklund, Section14A, a Q???????

Who the fuck is @DNC?

Is Tuputala definitely playing OLB? For some reason I thought he was being recruited at ILB.

You think we're done at OLB? I was really hoping we could pull either Latu or Foskey.

Heimuli is a super important recruit for this class. Maybe the most important given how shitty our depth & talent is at that position. Really hope we can nail down that kid.

gunt.

Not that I'm aware of. He seems to project best as a SAM IMO but who knows. FWIW 247 has him as an ILB and Ah You as an OLB.

As far as OLB is concerned I don't think we want to be done necessarily, but unless one of those two you mentioned jumps on bored I don't think we spend another scholly there given the quality we have the potential of pulling at other positions. I don't see us getting Foskey but Latu seems to be a legitimate chance. He would be huge.

Agree completely on Heimuli, especially given the To'oto'o ship seeming to sail. Calvert was a massive get though too. Heimuli is definitely bigger.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2018
    Woof said:

My guesses for what is left after Bandes:

Buelow
    Vimahi
    Heimuli
    Wright
    Latu
    Chase

I'm feeling good about the top 3. I wanted to put Tuitele, but I am trying not to doog. Last two are my wildcards. Ruth is being coy about someone, he is visiting on 12/15, and we always pull a wild card out late. Also considered Foskey, but we don't really need a TE. I think we take Chase late when we miss on McDuffie and Wright.

Sleepers would be Quentin Moore or a RB not on our radar who has a great senior year and blows up.

This guess wasn't wildly off. I got one correct and nothing wrong (so far). I'm more convinced we're going to take a 2nd RB late to fill up the extra scholarships, so I'll call that a win too.

I think we're done at OL. Bad feeling about Rhyan and the Vimahi ship appears to have sailed. I also feel way less confident on McDuffie than most - he liked a random fan tweet the other day saying he's going to Stanford if he gets admitted, and I think we are a fallback at best. I still think Chase's offer becomes commitable again late. I also think everyone is underplaying our chances with Latu. He's visiting on 12/15, and is deciding at the Poly bowl. We couldn't ask for a better close. If we pull one of the 5 stars, my guess is it is Ford, but I give it no more than a 25% chance.

My guess at a close:
    Tuitele (if you don't count him already)
    Heimuli
    Latu
    Chase
    2nd RB (McMillan?)
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

UW will finish with:

Doog it Up!

We currently have 18 commits (excluding Ford) and your list gets us to 26 if we pull everybody ... also need to keep in mind Jordon Lolohea returning from his mission as well which adds 1 more

That big of a class is doable provided we have roster space as we took 20 in last year’s class and with some of these guys being early enrollees they can be counted backwards.

Then the question is the counting math of of how do you get to 85 ...
    I listed seven guys which would be a full class of 25. Fowler, McMillan, etc, could be grey shirt candidates or simply passed on if this best case scenario plays out. I don't really care about the numbers. Big boy programs take 25 guys every cycle and figure it out later.
  • Options

UW will finish with:

Doog it Up!

Obk level delusional, but if happens I will donate $129 to have obk banned for a week
    Not delusional this time around. If you were one of these elite recruits would you go to USC over UW right now? You'd have to be stupid as fuck right? Their current coaching staff is trash so if you're going to USC you're either going to have a shit coaching staff that can't develop players and can't game plan or a new coaching staff that you didn't sign up for that might also turn out to be shit. UW is in prime position to be a safety net for these elite recruits that would traditionally go to SC but won't because of the instability there.
    U r making big assumptions that these 18/19 years going to make a smart decisions. I am sorry, I am ~30 still make dumb fucking decision, I don’t expect these overglorified and pampered jocks to make good decision
    A bunch of guys already on our commit list chose UW over a struggling USC. Why is it impossible that this trend continues?

UW recruits OKG's which for the most part are pretty smart and mature kids who see the big picture and are capable of making good decisions.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

This is cool. But, why don't we all just agree to scrap this composite bullshit? ESPN is terrible and distorts the rankings too much. Just list the 247 scores, and while not perfect, it is better than including the faggots at ESPN who fuck it all up completely.

I would, it's just that the composite is the basis for Bud Elliott's foundational research on the whole "need blue chips on at least half your roster to win the title".

If we're tracking how we rate on his metric then we have to use the composite. If we're using the metric of our choosing then we're basically acknowledging the ratio is BS because it's based on a flawed premise anyway and we can stop worrying about it.

I'm good either way. Personally I much prefer the 247 ratings but obviously they like our? guys better so duh.
    I can justify why you can use 247 rankings while still using Bud Elliott's metric that was founded on using composite by writing a huge @Tequilla special of "I was told there would be no maff." or you can just believe me.

TLDR version is that there's "noise" in a specific subset of the data which applies to certain regions/teams(us?) which are themselves outliers and therefore don't have much impact on the correlation value of the overall population/metric. This is not an unusual adjustment for a subset of data that has a measurement error for a population with an established correlation.

TTLDR Statisticians dump outliers and adjust measurements all the tim. It's cul.