Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The truth about Pete: He wants to be a team with inferior athletes that outsmarts everyone

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    pete is gone... so fuck him. PJ Lake show now. Hopefully he is not all hot and sizzle.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,584
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    FireCohen said:

pete is gone... so fuck him. PJ Lake show now. Hopefully he is not all hot and sizzle.

He is no sizzle at all. Just lame.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I have no concern about Pete coaching again. He can go to Oregon

He's going to suck. Just like the rest of the Boise coaches

Small time guys dont work at big time jobs

Urban Meyer was a small time guy. Until he wasn’t. I know we got sky high expectations, but Pete was successful at UW to everyone outside of our fan base.

The rest of the country isn’t nostalgic about 91. They don’t even remember 2000. They knew Ty and Sark. We were way better under Pete. 2 conference titles and a playoff appearance in 6 years at UW is considered doing a great job by everyone that doesn’t religiously follow UW.
    He wasn't successful here

He's not Urban

He won't do shit if he coaches again

I dont give a fuck about perception
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Urban Meyer was a small time guy. Until he wasn’t. I know we got sky high expectations, but Pete was successful at UW to everyone outside of our fan base.

The rest of the country isn’t nostalgic about 91. They don’t even remember 2000. They knew Ty and Sark. We were way better under Pete. 2 conference titles and a playoff appearance in 6 years at UW is considered doing a great job by everyone that doesn’t religiously follow UW.
    Why do you continually fluff Pete like this, Roady? Who fucking cares what people outside the fanbase think?

2 Conference Titles during shit Pac12 years happened in context and at a time the rest of the country was deservedly laughing at the Pac12.

2016 was Pete's best team because of it's playmakers. 2019 was one of Pete's worst teams because of shitty coaching decisions, which prevented it from being an average to decent team, and cemented the ceiling of Pete's coaching ability: Good, but not Great.
  • Options

Why do you continually fluff Pete like this, Roady? Who fucking cares what people outside the fanbase think?

2 Conference Titles during shit Pac12 years happened in context and at a time the rest of the country was deservedly laughing at the Pac12.

2016 was Pete's best team because of it's playmakers. 2019 was one of Pete's worst teams because of shitty coaching decisions, which prevented it from being an average to decent team, and cemented the ceiling of Pete's coaching ability: Good, but not Great.
    I had my frustrations with Pete, but he is a good coach that has won games. The yeah, but stuff (hehe butt stuff) is annoying because he won at UW. Making the playoff was big. Conference titles are big.

He wasn’t adverse to talent. A lot of talented guys played. Baccallia and Manu don’t disprove that. Playing them was a mistake but these grand assumptions about it have become a reality to some here and have skewed the truth. Young guys and freshman frequently played, including this year.

He didn’t win the big game and 2019 sucked. He made a lot of coaching errors and they hurt us. I don’t think it cemented anything and we never found out if it was a sign of things to come or just a bad year.

Pete is not the first coach to struggle in big games. Some break thru and some don’t. Typically the coaches that continually get there will win some of those games eventually.
    I'm judging him on his performance, not his potential. Maybe he gets there in 2020, maybe not. It's all academic now, but I was betting not because of his "they're great in practice" BS rationalizations for WRs who were lazy or couldn't catch the fucking ball when they tried while having guys like Bynum, Osborn and Spiker available. In year six, Pete was still searching for answers, and that's just too long to wait.

You used to call him "stubborn" for a reason, Roady, and you were right. I recall the "Just give the Fucking Ball to Gaskin" 2015 mantra that had most of our fanbase trying to figure out what the fuck Pete was thinking that year when all Myles was doing was carrying most of the offense by himself - when given the chance. Too many bizarre judgment calls, perhaps that helped maintain integrity and loyalty in the program, but that hurt the team's performance on the field. I like Pete, I think he's a decent coach, an honest guy and certainly trying his best to help his players on and off the field, but, at the end of the day, he was not a great coach or one that I believe would get UW up over the hump and back into the NC conversation again. Not after what I saw in 2019.
  • Options
    I'll say this, Pete was twice the fucking coach Sark was. Pete's teams competed in every game except the NY6 Bowls. Sark's teams routinely got embarrassed and blown out on the road. They were a fucking embarrassment on the road against anyone with even average levels of talent. So, in that sense, Pete at least instilled pride and guts into a lot of players and raised the expectations bar when it was sorely needed.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019

It's not what he wants. It's what he knows how to do.

That's why he never won a game at UW as big as the win at Boise.

He's not a power house coach. He's Boise State coach.

They're different.

The truly great trams have talent. Watch the 30 4 30 about the U. First one. Everyone says it, just in a different way. Jimmy was blunt about it: "we were just so much better than a everyone else."

We had better talent with Pete than we have had since James. I don’t think it’s so black and white. You put Pete at a powerhouse and he’s going to do really well. He can be really picky at Texas or USC and he would build very good programs there.

We are unfortunately a second tier program. He did well for awhile and fizzled out. I think he would be back on top of the conference, but we will never know.
    We never had the kind of TE involvement in the offense, Pete's Toilet-Bowl worthy offense, or anything near what James had at LB or WR.

I never heard James say "It's Hard," either. How anyone can compare any of Pete's NY6 Bowl teams to James's is laughable.

As others have said, Pete was good with over-achievers, and getting the best from what he had, but you can't build a team with over-achievers. You need studs at the key positions, and 2016 was the only year the team was stacked with bona-fide Pac12 players on both sides of the ball.

Pete deserves a Belotti award for putting the program on a solid footing and for two great recruiting classes in a row, but the in-game coaching comparisons with James are ridiculous. He wasn't even close to James.
    I didn’t compare him to James. This is stupid tho.

How the fuck could you downplay 2016. We had sucked for 15 years and made the playoff. The reason the team was loaded was because of Pete recruiting and developing.
    Downplaying 2016 is stupid *if you don't remember/weren't there for 2000/91/84*

I remember tearing it up with Tui in NCAA 2001 more than the actual game/season itself. Otherwise yeah, there were actual wins there. Not appearances as trophies.

Pete was a disappointment. There were a lot of diminishing returns to his system and his zealousness towards it. We've squandered quite a bit of talent, especially defensive talent, over the last couple of seasons.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2019

I had my frustrations with Pete, but he is a good coach that has won games. The yeah, but stuff (hehe butt stuff) is annoying because he won at UW. Making the playoff was big. Conference titles are big.

He wasn’t adverse to talent. A lot of talented guys played. Baccallia and Manu don’t disprove that. Playing them was a mistake but these grand assumptions about it have become a reality to some here and have skewed the truth. Young guys and freshman frequently played, including this year.

He didn’t win the big game and 2019 sucked. He made a lot of coaching errors and they hurt us. I don’t think it cemented anything and we never found out if it was a sign of things to come or just a bad year.

Pete is not the first coach to struggle in big games. Some break thru and some don’t. Typically the coaches that continually get there will win some of those games eventually.
    I'm judging him on his performance, not his potential. Maybe he gets there in 2020, maybe not. It's all academic now, but I was betting not because of his "they're great in practice" BS rationalizations for WRs who were lazy or couldn't catch the fucking ball when they tried while having guys like Bynum, Osborn and Spiker available. In year six, Pete was still searching for answers, and that's just too long to wait.

You used to call him "stubborn" for a reason, Roady, and you were right. I recall the "Just give the Fucking Ball to Gaskin" 2015 mantra that had most of our fanbase trying to figure out what the fuck Pete was thinking that year when all Myles was doing was carrying most of the offense by himself - when given the chance. Too many bizarre judgment calls, perhaps that helped maintain integrity and loyalty in the program, but that hurt the team's performance on the field. I like Pete, I think he's a decent coach, an honest guy and certainly trying his best to help his players on and off the field, but, at the end of the day, he was not a great coach or one that I believe would get UW up over the hump and back into the NC conversation again. Not after what I saw in 2019.
    I hated his offenses. Hated that Manu and Baccallia kept getting put out there. I do think he should have done stuff differently. I think at UW, he was picky when it came to recruiting and at a school like UW you don’t have that luxury.

At a Michigan, USC, Texas, or Notre Dame he could. He could fill a roster full of 4 and 5 star guys that were still OKG’s there. UW isn’t as easy to recruit to as those places, so his stubborn ways probably did hurt us a little bit.

My point earlier was that he could win big at a blue blood. He’s not a Johnny try hard. He’s a good coach that didn’t reach the pinnacle at UW. He’s one of the better coaches in the country. Top 10. Top 15 at minimum, but personally, I think he’s better.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2019

When was the last time the Pac 12 wasn’t a complete dumpster fire or SC and the 9/11 dwarfs? PAC 12 has sucked or been a 1 team conference for a long time now. Pay attention. SC. Then Oregon with a smattering of Stanford. Then UW. Back to Oregon?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,987
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Pete lost the game at Oregon in 2018, btw. Blaming Henry is FS given how shitty that clock management and play-calling was. And I never recall seeing such huge boners from James. Not once.

The biggest criticism of James that I can think of would be he was too slow to open up the offense. He might have been much more dominating in the 80s had he adjusted sooner.
  • Options

Pete lost the game at Oregon in 2018, btw. Blaming Henry is FS given how shitty that clock management and play-calling was. And I never recall seeing such huge boners from James. Not once.

The biggest criticism of James that I can think of would be he was too slow to open up the offense. He might have been much more dominating in the 80s had he adjusted sooner.
    As far back as I can remember, UW defenses always led the offenses, which took a quarter or two to get going. But the D was usually stout from the opening series and got stronger throughout the game and usually dominated late in the game. Kind of ironic from a coach who'd been a Florida QB, but quick starts from the offense weren't normal until the 1990 revamp under James.

I thought things were shaping up that way in 2019, until Cal road-graded UW's LBs all the way downfield for the winning TD, followed by Stanford and Oregon because our LBs fucking sucked this year. And I mean FUCKING SUCKED, like did not belong on the field SUCKED! That reality, in year 6, exposed major, unforgivable flaws in the LB recruiting, which is unforgivable.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    imma just going to say a few things and some observations that sum up this year for me. damn, what a shame ... could have been much better ... at least we could have been a new years six pretender lol.

- the frustration of running a program like Washington led to pete's resignation to "recharge" - which is probably a blessing in disguise given the fucktarded shit that went on this year and allowed the changing of the guard and letting go some deadweight like paopao and comically ineffective playcalling from Bushy.

- i mean, how many times can you keep on calling stupid horizontal plays with stupidly incompetent players? Every time I saw a horizontal play to fuller or opera singer for 3 yards when you need 8 made me want to reach into the tv and grab Bush and slap him one and shout "figure this shit out you moron!" Especially when it's extremely abundantly clear that these guys cannot get separation and cannot create yards after catch. So, why fucking put them in situations with a high chance of failure!? Jesus fucking christ.

- the mismanagement of the linebacking situation was so bad that they actually had to scheme out linebackers to limit them being exploited by the other team ... but the reality that there's no free lunch. Do something to minimize the bleeding and you get taken advantage in other areas. Then ... they finally play a fucking walk on with some fast twitch and he gets like more tackles in 4 game than the other two fucking guys combined in the previous majority of games ... or something like that. That shit should not happen ... but it did. At fucking Washington.

- everytime I saw peterman get mad at our own player for showing some emotion and fire trying to "teach" the young man to be a "real man". Fuck off with that shit. The level of disdain from peterman to cultivate energy and edge drove me nuts ... he got "irritated" at nick harris for showing some juice and emotion and leadership and gave him 500 pushups as punishment ... fuck off peterman. How about giving harris a slap on the ass and pull him aside and say "i'm proud of you ... keep dominating ... just don't get penalties ..." players see this shit and incorporate these neuroses into their play ... effectively turn alpha into beta ...

- finally ... ah fuck it. I'm glad jimmy is here. he can't fuck it up that bad, can he?