Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The results are in on paradise

Comments

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,451 Swaye's Wigwam
    Being upper middle class in California is like being mid to lower-middle class most other places. I can afford to rent a decent place but I can't afford to buy one. The truly shitty part is that the state still tax me as though I was in that 95th percentile of income earners. The upside is that it's 70 degrees year round and I'm a half-mile from the beach.

I'd move back to Seattle but it sounds like they are doing their best to transform that into an extension of the bay area.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club

Being upper middle class in California is like being mid to lower-middle class most other places. I can afford to rent a decent place but I can't afford to buy one. The truly shitty part is that the state still tax me as though I was in that 95th percentile of income earners. The upside is that it's 70 degrees year round and I'm a half-mile from the beach.

I'd move back to Seattle but it sounds like they are doing their best to transform that into an extension of the bay area.

This is precisely why I will never move back to Seattle. It's like all the bad parts of CA, but without any of the good weather or hot chicks.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028

Calling BS on this one. 95th percentile income earner in CA makes $230K. 95th percentile nationally is $195K. You can't find a decent place with a $195K salary?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

Calling BS on this one. 95th percentile income earner in CA makes $230K. 95th percentile nationally is $195K. You can't find a decent place with a $195K salary?
    He probably has an issue with the hard 20% down payment.

We bought our first house with a 5% we borrowed from Mom. Course that was a homestead but still

The housing market is not that unreasonable depending where you are at
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028

BearsWiin said:

We bought our first house with a 5% we borrowed from Mom. Course that was a homestead but still

Except that you don't need 20% down. It helps get preferential rates and gets you out of having to pay PMI, but it's not necessary.

I live in an extremely unreasonable area, and I can go on MLSListings.com right now and find many "decent" places that somebody with a $200K salary can afford.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Except that you don't need 20% down. It helps get preferential rates and gets you out of having to pay PMI, but it's not necessary.

I live in an extremely unreasonable area, and I can go on MLSListings.com right now and find many "decent" places that somebody with a $200K salary can afford.
    You should DM him

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,033 Founders Club
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

We talking what 200K will buy you with or without kids in daycare? Yuge difference there between what the Dinks can afford and those of that paying through the nose for childcare.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,488 Standard Supporter

I forgot Iowa was actually a thing until this thread

Black eye for @FerentzHWAKEye imo
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000

BearsWiin said:

Clever.
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

You both sound pour.

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

We talking what 200K will buy you with or without kids in daycare? Yuge difference there between what the Dinks can afford and those of that paying through the nose for childcare.
    If your kids are in daycare it means your wife works to keep you from being pour.

She'll likely have an affair when she meats someone better than you.

I avoided this risk by keeping Mrs. Creepy at home with the kiddos. I was not pour.

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

If your kids are in daycare it means your wife works to keep you from being pour.

I avoided this risk by keeping Mrs. Creepy at home with the kiddos. I was not pour.
    Well us "real folks" are pour and both parents work with every couple I know in Seattle under 40. Even the pretend lawyers and doctors. Times is tough I tell ya. On the bright side my wife's too tall for most potential adulterers so I'm safe.
    dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

No better place for a housewife to get banged by some other dude than at home.
    Rule #1, no fucking the other guy's wife.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

so your poor now?

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

so your poor now?
    To clarify: I was not and am not pour. Sledog is pour.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,241 Standard Supporter

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

so your poor now?
    To clarify: I was not and am not pour. Sledog is pour.
    Says the guy with $1.87 in his pocket.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861
    sort of delivering.

California gets both a good and bad rap because it's basically the entire west coast.

Some places are total shitholes and others are very nice.

I'm down for whatever. Moving to FL next year so looking forward to running into FL man.