Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

People need to pay their fair share of taxes

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,031 Founders Club
    edited January 2018

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Right. To help pay for large corporate tax cuts. They capped the state tax deduction at $10k. Meaning people who pay significantly more than that, will pay more in taxes on the plan. And most of those people are small business owners. Nice work!!

Why should someone who lives in the People's Republic of California have any greater ability to deduct state taxes than someone who lives in, like, Wyoming or Washington where there isn't any state income tax?

The $10K cap is more than a fair compromise.

To the uneducated. There was a standard amount based on your income to add if you lived in Washington to deduct for income tax. Plus they allowed you to deduct sales tax on large purchases. To "level the playing field" as you suggest.
    So, what you're saying is Washington residents were capped by whatever the standard deduct for their taxable income but Cali residents weren't.

The sales tax deduction was a fraction of what state income tax payers were allowed to take as a deduction.

For someone at the $200K income range, 1 Exemption, the 'standard' sales tax deduction for 2017 was $1,886

And that's comparable to a Cali resident who could take the full boat deduction on their, let's say, 5% state income tax (actually way higher but we'll keep it simple) of around $10,000 plus?!?!

Maff sucks, I know. For the uneducated.

Nega, please.

Plus sales tax on large purchases. I think your $1,886 is low because mine was higher than that in 16. But I don't give enough shits to look it up.
    So you're in favor of regressive sales taxes that also encourage the poor to go into debt buying things they don't need.

Yes. Someone's gotta buy the shit, and I pay enough in taxes. I don't need to help my brother kewg live out his golden years in comfort down in Salem any more than I already have.

Let me be clear: I want to keep what I earn in the FREE market place (real or pretend), and I want to share it with NOBODY. I don't care about other people's problems.

I'm a REAL conservative. Most of these bananas are union-loving protectionist brown shirt commies who want my stuff w/o having to work for it.
    Selfish POYD IMO!!

The critique I will always make of your Creepy logic - as much as I agree with some of the sentiment - is that there's always going to be a high social cost (i.e., crime, drug abuse, etc.) associated with too many of your brothers in Aberdeen, Salem, etc. sitting around on their asses with nothing to do. We have to DO SOMETHING to figure out how we are going to get working age males (blacks and whites) back into the labor market.
    No!!!!!!!!!! "WE" don't have to do anything. If you're losing sleep over it, it sounds like you and your row boat friends need to DO SOMETHING.

I'll take care of me; you take care of you and whatever else you care about.

That, my freng, is the American way. I didn't write the rules. My immigrant family and I just read them, played by them, and won ... BIGLY.
    I don't like to see you come out to this clean country with your oily hair, dressed up in those silk suits, rooting for the Miami Hurricanes, passing yourselves off as decent Americans.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,000

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Right. To help pay for large corporate tax cuts. They capped the state tax deduction at $10k. Meaning people who pay significantly more than that, will pay more in taxes on the plan. And most of those people are small business owners. Nice work!!

Why should someone who lives in the People's Republic of California have any greater ability to deduct state taxes than someone who lives in, like, Wyoming or Washington where there isn't any state income tax?

To the uneducated. There was a standard amount based on your income to add if you lived in Washington to deduct for income tax. Plus they allowed you to deduct sales tax on large purchases. To "level the playing field" as you suggest.
    So, what you're saying is Washington residents were capped by whatever the standard deduct for their taxable income but Cali residents weren't.

The sales tax deduction was a fraction of what state income tax payers were allowed to take as a deduction.

For someone at the $200K income range, 1 Exemption, the 'standard' sales tax deduction for 2017 was $1,886

And that's comparable to a Cali resident who could take the full boat deduction on their, let's say, 5% state income tax (actually way higher but we'll keep it simple) of around $10,000 plus?!?!

Maff sucks, I know. For the uneducated.

Nega, please.

Plus sales tax on large purchases. I think your $1,886 is low because mine was higher than that in 16. But I don't give enough shits to look it up.
    So you're in favor of regressive sales taxes that also encourage the poor to go into debt buying things they don't need.

Yes. Someone's gotta buy the shit, and I pay enough in taxes. I don't need to help my brother kewg live out his golden years in comfort down in Salem any more than I already have.

Let me be clear: I want to keep what I earn in the FREE market place (real or pretend), and I want to share it with NOBODY. I don't care about other people's problems.

I'm a REAL conservative. Most of these bananas are union-loving protectionist brown shirt commies who want my stuff w/o having to work for it.
    Selfish POYD IMO!!

The critique I will always make of your Creepy logic - as much as I agree with some of the sentiment - is that there's always going to be a high social cost (i.e., crime, drug abuse, etc.) associated with too many of your brothers in Aberdeen, Salem, etc. sitting around on their asses with nothing to do. We have to DO SOMETHING to figure out how we are going to get working age males (blacks and whites) back into the labor market.
    No!!!!!!!!!! "WE" don't have to do anything. If you're losing sleep over it, it sounds like you and your row boat friends need to DO SOMETHING.

I'll take care of me; you take care of you and whatever else you care about.

That, my freng, is the American way. I didn't write the rules. My immigrant family and I just read them, played by them, and won ... BIGLY.
    I don't like to see you come out to this clean country with your oily hair, dressed up in those silk suits, rooting for the Miami Hurricanes, passing yourselves off as decent Americans.
    Now that's a quote! Was there a more despicable character than Senator Geary? When he turns that toy cannon around on the desk and points it at Michael? Fuck. I always say out loud at that part, "nice move dumbshit. you just signed your papers." Then, the whorehouse thing ... and he's in his pocket.

What a fucking movie.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849

2001400ex said:

Fuck off. State's rights buddy boy. Just like Scalia argued for years in his abortion case dissents. He never said once that it should be federally banned. He always positioned his argument on state's rights. Whether he was being disingenuous or not, I'll leave to you.

If the ability to use a hoover and a spoon relative to "sanctity of life" matters is merely a function of hitting the right state line, then surely the far less aggressive extension of governmental in personam jurisdiction to tax must be left to the states.

Why do you hate the federal republic man? Why? Why?

Let us build our loop holes and mind your own business. Please.
    I'm sorry you hate maff too.

One word: states' rights.
    So the federal government has more right California has less rights to one's income than a person in Montana.

Speak Engrish, man. Or use Excel.

Math isn't a state's rights issue. If you want to tax the fuck out of your state, go for it. But you shouldn't get credit for it at a higher tax benefit than a non-tax-the-fuck-out-state at the federal level.

Federal taxes are confiscatory, by definition.

Other than for defense, what if anything worthwhile does it pay for? Californians already pay a disproportionate share of the money to pay for the boondoggles you apparently support.

My state and local taxes pay for public, health, safety, roads, water and power.

Shut the wasteful, useless federal government down.
    About half of the money to fix your roads and pay for your healthcare comes from the Feds.
    And when your state starts burning again, other states will have to bail your ass out...again.

But other than that... Spot on as always.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Fuck off. State's rights buddy boy. Just like Scalia argued for years in his abortion case dissents. He never said once that it should be federally banned. He always positioned his argument on state's rights. Whether he was being disingenuous or not, I'll leave to you.

If the ability to use a hoover and a spoon relative to "sanctity of life" matters is merely a function of hitting the right state line, then surely the far less aggressive extension of governmental in personam jurisdiction to tax must be left to the states.

So the federal government has more right California has less rights to one's income than a person in Montana.

Math isn't a state's rights issue. If you want to tax the fuck out of your state, go for it. But you shouldn't get credit for it at a higher tax benefit than a non-tax-the-fuck-out-state at the federal level.

Other than for defense, what if anything worthwhile does it pay for? Californians already pay a disproportionate share of the money to pay for the boondoggles you apparently support.

My state and local taxes pay for public, health, safety, roads, water and power.

About half of the money to fix your roads and pay for your healthcare comes from the Feds.
    And when your state starts burning again, other states will have to bail your ass out...again.

Where does the federal government get that money? Who pays most of it? CA doesn’t need federal charity. Why can’t you pay your own way?

edited January 2018

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Where does the federal government get that money? Who pays most of it? CA doesn’t need federal charity. Why can’t you pay your own way?

Quit taking Federal Highway and Medicare/aid funds and then pop off.

Or just crackle.

Or abundance.
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Quit taking Federal Highway funds and then pop off.
    Quit confiscating our tax dollars and you’ve got a deal.

2001400ex said:

Lighten up Francis. You're giving me more credit than is due for actually reading and thinking about this shit. Don't go all Salemkewg on me with a rant.

Think more along Pavlovian lines: Creepy sees the words "state's helping residents cheat on federal taxes" and begins to salivate with joy and approval.

Axiom: States can do pretty much whatever the fuck they want, with a few explicitly laid-out and technical constitutional limitations. Axe Antonin. He'll tell you.

If the feds need to catch up and fix the IRC to negate whatever advantage that a clever tax lawyer helps said state cook up, then so be it. The state can then re-engage said tax lawyer and start over.

It's the American way. Try it.

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

I've never seen one of your tax dollars, so fuck off.
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Welfare cash is fungible my brother. Of all people, a Cuog living in Salem fucking Oregon should know that.

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Why? I don't know why you give him the question. Isn't it obvious? Why else would a Cuog! live in Salem?

He works for the Oregon State Guvment.

All this time I've been matching wits with a Washington State University political science graduate who couldn't cut it in Olympia fucking Washington. Jeebus.

Fuck me. Wrist cutting imminent.
    edited January 2018

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Welfare cash is fungible my brother. Of all people, a Cuog living in Salem fucking Oregon should know that.
    You mean the welfare that some skank single mom collects because your greasy wop ass wasn't smart enough to suit up with a jimmy hat.

Just when you thought you got off for free, those herps just keep comin back, huh?

Stick that one in your rotation ya fuckin guinea.
    Must have been nice to live in an era where the state-federal relationship was investment-focused and collaborative. All the photos you posted from that long-ago bygone era attest to the fact the current federal model is broken.

If you moved back, I’d vote you emperor of the inland empire.

salemcoog said:

2001400ex said:

Why? I don't know why you give him the question. Isn't it obvious? Why else would a Cuog! live in Salem?

He works for the Oregon State Guvment.

All this time I've been matching wits with a Washington State University political science graduate who couldn't cut it in Olympia fucking Washington. Jeebus.

Fuck me. Wrist cutting imminent.
    You must be an ACLU lawyer huh? As it appears that you couldn't investigate your way out of a corn maze.

My thievery's bounty is not composed of Public funds, It consists of funds given by consumers by their own free will.

Must have been nice to live in an era where the state-federal relationship was investment-focused and collaborative. All the photos you posted from that long-ago bygone era attest to the fact the current federal model is broken.

If you moved back, I’d vote you emperor of the inland empire.
    I just busting your balls and I want a little fucking gratitude out of you for the federales when you go full secessionist. California wouldn't be shit if it weren't for the massive federal investments made there starting with the choo choos, then the dams and canals, and finally a massively disproportionate share of Cold War DOD spending. W/o the latter, then no fucking Silicon Valley. You'd be like 1917 California which was Oil, Orange Groves and Hollywood.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

2001400ex said:

Confiscatory in an economic sense is about taxes stifling economic development. When tax rates were 90% or even 70% for the top rate, taxes were confiscatory and you could generate economic growth by lowering taxes. No one will change their mind on an investment by taxes going from 39.6% to 37%. So that part of the tax change being promoted to encourage investment is just lies.

That being said, yes everyone wants lower taxes, including me, but no one wants less services from the government. Every politician is afraid to cut from their pet project even if it makes complete sense purely on public perception. Defense is the biggest expenditure, don't you think there's huge waste in defense that can be found? Right now the job market is good, cut from defense and cut wasteful jobs that do nothing in the federal government and they can find jobs elsewhere. Balance the budget then talk about tax cuts.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,668 Standard Supporter

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

You are not arguing the same thing I am. I could give ZERO fucks about how California spends your fucking tax dollars.

What I do give fucks about is California being treated favorably because they rape and pillage their citizens with respect to high tax rates. It's simply not a 1 to 1 tax benefit to those people who live in other states.

Mortgage interest deduction - dollar for dollar. Property taxes - dollar for dollar.

Not state income vs. state sales tax. Not even close.

So, yes, the feds are assholes. You just happen to be the beneficiary of their assholeness in this case because you live in a shithole that takes a bunch of your money.