Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Creepy's Thoughts on Crystal

Comments

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    This is a good poast.

Norvell isn't a west coast guy, is already east of the Rockies and is one more season away from landing an SEC job. His new Memphis salary is just under $2M and Oregon wouldn't have paid him more than $2.5 being that he has coached under 30 games in his career.

Sumlin isn't signing a contract until Jan 1st because aTm's AD is FS. That would have nuked the recruiting class so that means he isn't an option.

Mario is basically a sharper version of Willie with a much better resume in every aspect. No one was excited about Willie until Leavitt signed on. The second Mario was announced the question was; Is Leavitt staying? It doesn't seem like Leavitt is going to stay. Mario has connections and I'm guessing with his modest salary Mullens will allow him to spend $1.5M on a DC. He is friends with Randy Shannon and Greg Schiano and that amount would be a massive upgrade in salary for both or them, just as an example.

If the recruiting is good and the coaching staff is good then he can be a very good coach. If he hires Brady Hoke and won't even answer his phone when it rings he will be Sling. Either way it will be interesting.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    ntxduck said:

Mosster47 said:

This is a good poast.

Norvell isn't a west coast guy, is already east of the Rockies and is one more season away from landing an SEC job. His new Memphis salary is just under $2M and Oregon wouldn't have paid him more than $2.5 being that he has coached under 30 games in his career.

Sumlin isn't signing a contract until Jan 1st because aTm's AD is FS. That would have nuked the recruiting class so that means he isn't an option.

Mario is basically a sharper version of Willie with a much better resume in every aspect. No one was excited about Willie until Leavitt signed on. The second Mario was announced the question was; Is Leavitt staying? It doesn't seem like Leavitt is going to stay. Mario has connections and I'm guessing with his modest salary Mullens will allow him to spend $1.5M on a DC. He is friends with Randy Shannon and Greg Schiano and that amount would be a massive upgrade in salary for both or them, just as an example.

If the recruiting is good and the coaching staff is good then he can be a very good coach. If he hires Brady Hoke and won't even answer his phone when it rings he will be Sling. Either way it will be interesting.

I said no racist crap
    You know I once started a Mexican kid over a black kid at QB (I'm extremely white) and the black kid's parents called me racist, even though their older son rushed for like 1,500 yards for me the year before as he played over a white and Mexican kid. I shockingly wasn't racist then.

I'm not sure saying a Cuban guy who is clearly much sharper than said black guy as a white man is racist. I believe it's just an observation.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mosster47 said:

This is a good poast.

Please hire Greg Schiano.

PLEASE
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,698
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2017

Nobody really ever does. I'm not in a position to dispute Norvell. We'll see what happens. I'm sure the Ducks could have pulled him in; all I can say is that if they guy doesn't have a record as a recruiter then I don't really blame them for rolling the dice on a guy who does.

Also, you're not at all saying that Oregon doesn't really care about winning are you? You know as well as anyone that they're committed to the fb program.

just when i think you have made the poty you go an one up yourself!

a++++++++++ would read again!
    Just when I think I'm clear on exactly how fs you are, you remind me that your elevator hasn't yet reached the bottom floor.

To review, you are laffing like an idiot because you think:

A) USF and FIU are essentially the same job; and

B ) the Memphis job is better, or equal to, the Oregon job.

I, on the other hand, am laffing because:

A) you try so hard; and

B ) you actually still don't know what "literally" means.
    LawDawg1 said:

A couple things, since we all know Creepy is a closet Quook:

If he's successful and leaves, it means he was successful. If not, you have to fire him

So Taggart was successful?
    The Taggart facts are a little unusual. I think you'd agree. Typically if a guy leaves for a bigger job it's because he's winning. That's the point.
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Norvell.

The Autzen Peapatch is going to be top dollar though.

Maybe. But I've heard nothing about him as a recruiter, which I think is crucial at Oregon and which the Ducks are doubling down for ... not just this class but overall. You could hear it from Mullens n that presser that the local area blah blah blah would be nice but they want that recruiter, and I don't blame them because to me that's the name of the game. Leave the whole "stability, wants to be here" bs for fs Canzano and Washington fans who are smugging it up because they tripped into a coach who's done moving around. I think Mullens is smart af to not be reactive and knee-jerk into someone like Wilcox because "he's an Oregon guy and will be here for life ... " That's just so fs and so hokie dokie anyway. Who cares? Harbaugh is a Michigan guy and wants to be there for life too. (btw, I'll admit I thought he was going to kill it there too. See my prior post on rolling the dice).

Ask yourself, would you, or would the Ducks, trade the Kelly era for a less successful but more "stable" guy who stuck around? Of course not. You take the winning while it's there and if the guy leaves you move on and hire someone else.

I don't know what Autzen Peapatch means.

If I really cared about winning I’d take a chance on Norvell.

He was the reason ASU got to the conf championship. He could beat much more talented teams with Memphis. Went toe to toe with a superior team in the championship. A real offensive mind; not the sark kind. With even an average d coordinator Oregon could be a really dangerous team.

Oregon is not doing anything without stellar coaching, even with a good recruiting class.
    Nobody really ever does. I'm not in a position to dispute Norvell. We'll see what happens. I'm sure the Ducks could have pulled him in; all I can say is that if they guy doesn't have a record as a recruiter then I don't really blame them for rolling the dice on a guy who does.

Also, you're not at all saying that Oregon doesn't really care about winning are you? You know as well as anyone that they're committed to the fb program.
    My perception is they care about being respectable and not going into a UW type vortex of embarrassment.

But controlling the conference? With this hire?
    Eh, I think hats pretty much dead wrong. I'm surprised because you're generally all over the Ducks. A program in the NW doesn't make it to two title games without wanting to be more than respectable. I think it's pretty clear that the Ducks want to win. Doesnt follow from that that they're going to do everything or even most things right.

1. Creepy thinks every coaching hire is, at best, more or less an informed roll of the dice. The statistical evidence for this is in. Creepy will admit one fairly embarrassing anecdote to make the point: Creepy recalls in his younger years being pretty vocally opposed to Miami hiring the mere Jimmy Johnson ('who is this guy?'), coach of one of the non-teams in a two-team conference, to replace a championship coach. The first year, 1984, and its epic defensive meltdowns did little to assuage Creepy's ire at the hire.

2. I don't fault Oregon's thought process here: the program's number one weakness is that it's in the PNW, a place relatively lacking (and sometimes devoid of) D1 talent. Gotta get someone who can recroot at the right places or it's all moot anyway. And why wouldn't you want to mitigate the damage to the class? Seems rational to me. If he works out as a coach, great; if he doesn't, do it again. Look at Washington. You keep trying until you get it right. There's upside here. This leads me to point 3.

3. Were the options that compelling? Please, do tell. I'm all ears. Is there some guy out there who isn't weird and ugly who can "flat out coach" that I'm forgetting? Sumlin would have been an interesting hire. Also a great recruiter, and HC in the SEC with some success. That might have made sense too. Color me "eh" on Harsin. I just don't think lightning is striking twice on a successful Boise State guy. Oregon is in the Pac 12 and needs someone who can recruit for playing in this conference. Is that Harsin? Is he that good a technical coach? He hasn't done there was Peterman did, so spare me that comparison.

4. What's the upside in the "stability guy from the area?" That he won't leave? Who cares? If he's successful and leaves, it means he was successful. If not, you have to fire him. See point #1. Looking for an 18-year Don James marriage is fs. That just happens when it happens. Completely convinced of that; too many people who made too much sense on paper burned up too many times.

5. HC experience? Well, Crystal has it from coaching in cfb hell. Or just call it the coordinator promotion. Doesn't really matter. A lot of people around the game thought FIU was fs for firing him. The word on Mario, aside from being strikingly handsome, is that he's very bright. We shall see.

6. Finally, and most importantly, HE'S A CANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys can spin this as "Oregon isn't that important", but the truth is, Washington lucked into Peterman who is just weird enough to want to be up here in the PNW and not leave. Most other coaches would have left Washington for Florida State too. Hey, you guys know that feels anyway, right? There is one program (maybe) in this conference that can go in and perhaps get an established guy in an established situation to leave and come coach them, and Washington isn't that program either.

Mario may work out.

Tequilla?
    Fair.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Norvell.

Maybe. But I've heard nothing about him as a recruiter, which I think is crucial at Oregon and which the Ducks are doubling down for ... not just this class but overall. You could hear it from Mullens n that presser that the local area blah blah blah would be nice but they want that recruiter, and I don't blame them because to me that's the name of the game. Leave the whole "stability, wants to be here" bs for fs Canzano and Washington fans who are smugging it up because they tripped into a coach who's done moving around. I think Mullens is smart af to not be reactive and knee-jerk into someone like Wilcox because "he's an Oregon guy and will be here for life ... " That's just so fs and so hokie dokie anyway. Who cares? Harbaugh is a Michigan guy and wants to be there for life too. (btw, I'll admit I thought he was going to kill it there too. See my prior post on rolling the dice).

Ask yourself, would you, or would the Ducks, trade the Kelly era for a less successful but more "stable" guy who stuck around? Of course not. You take the winning while it's there and if the guy leaves you move on and hire someone else.

He was the reason ASU got to the conf championship. He could beat much more talented teams with Memphis. Went toe to toe with a superior team in the championship. A real offensive mind; not the sark kind. With even an average d coordinator Oregon could be a really dangerous team.

Oregon is not doing anything without stellar coaching, even with a good recruiting class.

My perception is they care about being respectable and not going into a UW type vortex of embarrassment.

Eh, I think hats pretty much dead wrong. I'm surprised because you're generally all over the Ducks. A program in the NW doesn't make it to two title games without wanting to be more than respectable. I think it's pretty clear that the Ducks want to win. Doesnt follow from that that they're going to do everything or even most things right.

1. Creepy thinks every coaching hire is, at best, more or less an informed roll of the dice. The statistical evidence for this is in. Creepy will admit one fairly embarrassing anecdote to make the point: Creepy recalls in his younger years being pretty vocally opposed to Miami hiring the mere Jimmy Johnson ('who is this guy?'), coach of one of the non-teams in a two-team conference, to replace a championship coach. The first year, 1984, and its epic defensive meltdowns did little to assuage Creepy's ire at the hire.

2. I don't fault Oregon's thought process here: the program's number one weakness is that it's in the PNW, a place relatively lacking (and sometimes devoid of) D1 talent. Gotta get someone who can recroot at the right places or it's all moot anyway. And why wouldn't you want to mitigate the damage to the class? Seems rational to me. If he works out as a coach, great; if he doesn't, do it again. Look at Washington. You keep trying until you get it right. There's upside here. This leads me to point 3.

3. Were the options that compelling? Please, do tell. I'm all ears. Is there some guy out there who isn't weird and ugly who can "flat out coach" that I'm forgetting? Sumlin would have been an interesting hire. Also a great recruiter, and HC in the SEC with some success. That might have made sense too. Color me "eh" on Harsin. I just don't think lightning is striking twice on a successful Boise State guy. Oregon is in the Pac 12 and needs someone who can recruit for playing in this conference. Is that Harsin? Is he that good a technical coach? He hasn't done there was Peterman did, so spare me that comparison.

4. What's the upside in the "stability guy from the area?" That he won't leave? Who cares? If he's successful and leaves, it means he was successful. If not, you have to fire him. See point #1. Looking for an 18-year Don James marriage is fs. That just happens when it happens. Completely convinced of that; too many people who made too much sense on paper burned up too many times.

5. HC experience? Well, Crystal has it from coaching in cfb hell. Or just call it the coordinator promotion. Doesn't really matter. A lot of people around the game thought FIU was fs for firing him. The word on Mario, aside from being strikingly handsome, is that he's very bright. We shall see.

6. Finally, and most importantly, HE'S A CANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys can spin this as "Oregon isn't that important", but the truth is, Washington lucked into Peterman who is just weird enough to want to be up here in the PNW and not leave. Most other coaches would have left Washington for Florida State too. Hey, you guys know that feels anyway, right? There is one program (maybe) in this conference that can go in and perhaps get an established guy in an established situation to leave and come coach them, and Washington isn't that program either.

Mario may work out.

Tequilla?
    Fair.
    Let me clarify.

After Helfrich, after realizing Chip was the fucking man, I think UO is in the game of taking chances on coordinators they feel won’t turn it into a shitshow. Christobal can recruit, worst comes to worst they’re probably 500 with the talent he can bring in.

Where we disagree lies in the fact that Norvell has much, much more upside. He just does for me, because I think he’s a stellar coach. Even doogs admit Oregon is somewhat of a national brand; if you can get talent off of that alone and you have a stellar coach, that is where you want to be.

Christobal won’t be an embrassment due to recruiting prowess, but he’s still underwhelming compared to what you could have tried for. Same goes for Taggart last year.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Norvell.

Mario may work out.

Tequilla?
    Fair.
    Let me clarify.

After Helfrich, after realizing Chip was the fucking man, I think UO is in the game of taking chances on coordinators they feel won’t turn it into a shitshow. Christobal can recruit, worst comes to worst they’re probably 500 with the talent he can bring in.

Where we disagree lies in the fact that Norvell has much, much more upside. He just does for me, because I think he’s a stellar coach. Even doogs admit Oregon is somewhat of a national brand; if you can get talent off of that alone and you have a stellar coach, that is where you want to be.

Christobal won’t be an embrassment due to recruiting prowess, but he’s still underwhelming compared to what you could have tried for. Same goes for Taggart last year.
    The problem Taggart is going to have at FSU is that every time he's going against Dabo or Saban for a recruit, those two are smart enough to break out the Troy Dye "He lied to me and my brother" tweet. The same would've happened to Norvell if he left Memphis for Oregon before the ink on his extension dried. Once a coach cracks the veneer in their "I'm an honest upright citizen" act, they're toast.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Norvell.

Mario may work out.

Tequilla?
    Fair.
    Let me clarify.

A good recruiter can sell the future. Eventually you have to win.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

haie said:

Norvell.

Mario may work out.

Tequilla?
    Fair.
    Let me clarify.

The problem Taggart is going to have at FSU is that every time he's going against Dabo or Saban for a recruit, those two are smart enough to break out the Troy Dye "He lied to me and my brother" tweet. The same would've happened to Norvell if he left Memphis for Oregon before the ink on his extension dried. Once a coach cracks the veneer in their "I'm an honest upright citizen" act, they're toast.
    Agree about Taggart and Wilcox, but I don't think anyone really would have faulted Norvell. You're going from Memphis to Oregon, to compete at the highest level, back to the conference you first had success at.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    You have a higher opinion of Norvell than I do. He has proved nothing so far. He's still in Year 2 post-Fuente, who is the one who built up that program and took them to the top of that shitheap conference. For all we know, Norvell is Helfrich with hair.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    This whole thread seems to be about how Taggart fucked Oregon not if
    doogie said:

This whole thread seems to be about how Taggart fucked Oregon not if

Sure, it seems that way for people who can't read.

Don't you have some Roy Moore 'winning' to do?
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Mario may work out.

Shit. Make it shorter next time.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    One point that Wilner has been hammering home is that if you are a PAC school and you hire a coach that grew up in the West they are a lot less likely to be tempted by every better job in the SEC, BIG, etc. Ironic that our best coach was a Midwest guy that played for the shitty Canes.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If only creepy possessed a single original thought