Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Creepy's Thoughts on Crystal

Comments

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Smart bidness men like Uncle Phil don't get rich by throwing money around where there's no probable ROI. Willie was nowhere nearing playing with house money yet.

Might be a smart business man but he's a retard about the football program. You want a title, you pay for it -- big money -- to bring in a proven coach like Urban Meyer and make it happen. You don't roll the dice with assistants, pay chump change and expect results.
    Those types of home run from the get go hires are pretty fucking rare no matter how much money the boosters can pony up. Think about the PAC in say the last 20 years. There have been two: Petersen to UW and Chip Kelly to UCLA. It's not about the money, rather the scarcity of those types of opportunities where all the stars align.
    Leave him alone. OBK is winning. He doesn't think coordinator and "assistant types" make good HCs; gotta go with the splash hire. Like the 4th of JueLie!

Knight dropped a half a billion on a science complex just the other day, has thrown hundreds of millions at them on other stuff for the school, cares about sports a lot, but just can't see his way to being on board with the difference between what a Norvell, Tedford, Sumlin or similar guy would cost and Mario Brothers. Just won't do it.

Look genius. People say 'no' to USC all the time, and they have money too. Pete Carroll was, what, their 4th choice? The amount of $$ that it would take to get a guy like Meyer to drop OSU would be beyond staggering, and if it didn't work out, and it doesn't at least as often as it does, you're back to square one.

Arguing Norvell, Sumlin, Tedford, Harsin, etc. is one thing. Whatever that would have cost is a detail to PK. Arguing Saban, Meyer, or some other all-timer is something quite different. I don't think this game is as easy as it must seem to you from your recliner in Eagles Landing Phase IV.
    Look at Texas A&M - what's the likelihood Jimbo is going to deliver the results they are looking for at $7.5 million x 10 years? There's no lock that that guy is going to win a SEC title. Georgia went the coordinator route and is in the fucking playoff. Miami went the retread route and got damn near the playoff.
    Jimbo has a recent title going for him. There's that. And the fact that he wasn't run out of town as a head coach like Cristobal was. I'd be happy if I were Texas A&M. Obviously they want to win titles and are willing to pay the money necessary to give themselves a shot, unlike Oregon.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I trust the Oregon AD.
  • Options
    haie said:

I trust the Oregon AD.

Trust him to be a retard. So do I.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

haie said:

I trust the Oregon AD.

Trust him to be a retard. So do I.
    I trust him.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Smart bidness men like Uncle Phil don't get rich by throwing money around where there's no probable ROI. Willie was nowhere nearing playing with house money yet.

Might be a smart business man but he's a retard about the football program. You want a title, you pay for it -- big money -- to bring in a proven coach like Urban Meyer and make it happen. You don't roll the dice with assistants, pay chump change and expect results.
    Those types of home run from the get go hires are pretty fucking rare no matter how much money the boosters can pony up. Think about the PAC in say the last 20 years. There have been two: Petersen to UW and Chip Kelly to UCLA. It's not about the money, rather the scarcity of those types of opportunities where all the stars align.
    Leave him alone. OBK is winning. He doesn't think coordinator and "assistant types" make good HCs; gotta go with the splash hire. Like the 4th of JueLie!

Knight dropped a half a billion on a science complex just the other day, has thrown hundreds of millions at them on other stuff for the school, cares about sports a lot, but just can't see his way to being on board with the difference between what a Norvell, Tedford, Sumlin or similar guy would cost and Mario Brothers. Just won't do it.

Look genius. People say 'no' to USC all the time, and they have money too. Pete Carroll was, what, their 4th choice? The amount of $$ that it would take to get a guy like Meyer to drop OSU would be beyond staggering, and if it didn't work out, and it doesn't at least as often as it does, you're back to square one.

Arguing Norvell, Sumlin, Tedford, Harsin, etc. is one thing. Whatever that would have cost is a detail to PK. Arguing Saban, Meyer, or some other all-timer is something quite different. I don't think this game is as easy as it must seem to you from your recliner in Eagles Landing Phase IV.
    Look at Texas A&M - what's the likelihood Jimbo is going to deliver the results they are looking for at $7.5 million x 10 years? There's no lock that that guy is going to win a SEC title. Georgia went the coordinator route and is in the fucking playoff. Miami went the retread route and got damn near the playoff.
    Jimbo has a recent title going for him. There's that. And the fact that he wasn't run out of town as a head coach like Cristobal was. I'd be happy if I were Texas A&M. Obviously they want to win titles and are willing to pay the money necessary to give themselves a shot, unlike Oregon.
    Jumbo was a career coordinator and position coach before FSU hired him. Then he won a title. That's how that played out. He'll likely never win another one.

The only person in football who didn't think FIU was fs for firing Cristobal was the guy who did it, and even he probably figured it out eventually.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I like to spend other people's money for them. I like to do that. - OBK/doogie

Part of the deal is that Knight doesn't want to put the UO program into a deficit hole they can't climb out of. It's part of the reason the north side of the stadium hasn't been done yet. The new basketball arena was on life support before Altman got the program hopping again.

You can't pay 105,000 seat salaries with a 60,000 seat stadium. The athletics endowment gives UO more cushion and margin for error than most but you don't spend money just because you have it.

Between ridiculous stadium expansion and crazy salary for Jimbo, AnM could actually be looking at #stadiumdefault even if Fisher does reasonably well. Their AD was subsidized by the academic side as recently as 2014. Fortunately for AnM, they don't really care all that much about the academic side of the university so they will probably just shovel cash from their oil endowment into the AD like OBK wants Oregon to do.

Other than Mike Norvell, there were no good, realistic candidates out there this year. And who knows, maybe Norvell hates Oregon.

Krystal Gayle either succeeds or he doesn't. If not, we fire up the machine in a couple of years with enough time to line up a good set of candidates in a year when Oregon has more than 50 or so kids on scholarship (thanks Mark!).
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

Part of the deal is that Knight doesn't want to put the UO program into a deficit hole they can't climb out of. It's part of the reason the north side of the stadium hasn't been done yet. The new basketball arena was on life support before Altman got the program hopping again.

You can't pay 105,000 seat salaries with a 60,000 seat stadium. The athletics endowment gives UO more cushion and margin for error than most but you don't spend money just because you have it.

Yes, you do. You do spend money just because you have it. It's an advantage Knight and Oregon aren't putting to good enough use. Why drop half a billion (allegedly) on some stupid science center when you can drop half a billion on the football program and buy your way to a national championship...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

AZDuck said:

Yes, you do. You do spend money just because you have it. It's an advantage Knight and Oregon aren't putting to good enough use. Why drop half a billion (allegedly) on some stupid science center when you can drop half a billion on the football program and buy your way to a national championship...
    There’s so much jack retard in this post it’s amazing.
  • Options

AZDuck said:

That's why you and your kids aren't leaving the trailer park any time soon. Say hi to doogie for us.

#maga
  • Options

AZDuck said:

Lol

So you have figured out how to use the Internet to get here and post word vomit, but you still don't know about the Google. I could have a field day with this one, but it's starting to feel a lot like smacking krisvashon around for sport. It just didn't feel good at some point.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,336
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183

AZDuck said:

That's why you and your kids aren't leaving the trailer park any time soon. Say hi to doogie for us.

#maga
    If we're going to bash trailer porks, meth and pumping gas, I'm out.
  • Options
    RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    haie said:

AZDuck said:

@swaye true???!??!??!
  • Options
    RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye said:

Coachella actually means "Greatest Collection of Losers in America at Worst Music Festival Ever where a Nuclear Bomb Detonation Would Improve All Humanity." Loose translation of course.

Disagree, Corvallis would be a better choice.

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited December 2017

Swaye said:

Coachella actually means "Greatest Collection of Losers in America at Worst Music Festival Ever where a Nuclear Bomb Detonation Would Improve All Humanity." Loose translation of course.

Disagree, Corvallis would be a better choice.

• Options
    haie said:

AZDuck said:

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    put another way, If Phil Knight cared as much as Oregon fans wished he did, he could park five tenths of one percent of his wealth into about one third of the new Portland School District muni Bond issue and pay $10 million/ year for Real Coach’s salary with the Tax Free Income he’ll be earning Guaranteed by the Full Faith and Credit of the Portland taxpayer.

Wouldn’t cost Knight a fucking dime.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Or he could just do nothing like he's doing now, be cheap and hire unproven assistants (Helfrich) or assistants with bad head coaching records (Cristobal). It's enough to satisfy low expectation Ducks like ArizonaDuck, NTXDuck, PDXDuck and most of the rest of Quook Nation. Making a bowel game this year was a huge fucking win for these guys.