Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Treshaun Harrison Update

Comments

• Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Looks like a former Husky Legend made a post on KJV's site today about the Harrison situation ... essentially to paraphrase the whole thing was basically that Harrison sees himself as a WR, we viewed him as a DB, that we agreed to disagree, and that it wasn't because Harrison wasn't OKG.

Here's the thing from my perspective and to further clarify my earlier comments ...

As Vita was so eloquent in explaining during the media days for the Fiesta Bowl things go in order from Team --> Unit --> Me

From the first time I saw Harrison's video, I thought if he embraced it he'd have the potential to have a lengthy career as a DB ... when I saw the video I saw Lawyer Milloy.

As I watched some of his senior video, combined with some comments from @Dennis_DeYoung that were consistent with what I was seeing, you could definitely see a very good option at RB if he was interested in doing that.

However, at WR, I definitely don't see a player better than Spiker/Osborne, better than what we brought in last class, or what we'll bring in in next year's class. In other words, he'd be likely buried in the depth at UW at WR.

Let's be honest for a second here ... if you are going to be a high caliber S, you need to have a certain mindset and toughness to play that position well. If you're going to be a RB, while you get a lot of attention, you have to be prepared to get hit in the process. And with the way teams are utillizing multiple RBs now, the glory gets spread and the hits still keep coming. In contrast, at WR, you have the potential to get all the glory that you get at RB without having to take the same kind of pounding.

He'll end up at Florida St and follow Taggart. Taggart is the ultimate snake oil salesman and him and Oregon were a perfect match for each other. Playing WR in Taggart's offense is like playing a glorified RB. He'll get the ball on WR screens, jet sweeps, etc. without having to take the pounding between the tackles. Whether he has a strong college career or not (and particularly going to FSU, I suspect his potential to be buried in the depth will only increase), playing WR IMO is his worst shot to potentially play in the NFL. But that's fine.

The reason that I compared Harrison to guys like Wroten, etc. to recently come out of Seattle is because the common trait that I see is a lot of the guys have looked to take the easiest path possible in the short-term while ultimately penalizing themselves in the long-term.

This isn't an example of where I really blame Petersen for not landing Harrison. Bringing him in at WR will not make us a better football team comparatively to what we can and will get going forward. At RB, there was probably room for a discussion but Harrison wasn't interested. At S he would have been best served long-term but again wasn't interested. To be an elite team you need guys on the roster that are willing to live by the mantra of Team --> Unit --> Me ... and given how Harrison has gone about his recruitment (which he is more than entitled to do), we're not a good fit for him.

Best of luck to him going forward ... but I personally don't think we'll miss him.

I don't watch their film till they are signed.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Looks like a former Husky Legend made a post on KJV's site today about the Harrison situation ... essentially to paraphrase the whole thing was basically that Harrison sees himself as a WR, we viewed him as a DB, that we agreed to disagree, and that it wasn't because Harrison wasn't OKG.

Here's the thing from my perspective and to further clarify my earlier comments ...

As Vita was so eloquent in explaining during the media days for the Fiesta Bowl things go in order from Team --> Unit --> Me

From the first time I saw Harrison's video, I thought if he embraced it he'd have the potential to have a lengthy career as a DB ... when I saw the video I saw Lawyer Milloy.

As I watched some of his senior video, combined with some comments from @Dennis_DeYoung that were consistent with what I was seeing, you could definitely see a very good option at RB if he was interested in doing that.

However, at WR, I definitely don't see a player better than Spiker/Osborne, better than what we brought in last class, or what we'll bring in in next year's class. In other words, he'd be likely buried in the depth at UW at WR.

Let's be honest for a second here ... if you are going to be a high caliber S, you need to have a certain mindset and toughness to play that position well. If you're going to be a RB, while you get a lot of attention, you have to be prepared to get hit in the process. And with the way teams are utillizing multiple RBs now, the glory gets spread and the hits still keep coming. In contrast, at WR, you have the potential to get all the glory that you get at RB without having to take the same kind of pounding.

He'll end up at Florida St and follow Taggart. Taggart is the ultimate snake oil salesman and him and Oregon were a perfect match for each other. Playing WR in Taggart's offense is like playing a glorified RB. He'll get the ball on WR screens, jet sweeps, etc. without having to take the pounding between the tackles. Whether he has a strong college career or not (and particularly going to FSU, I suspect his potential to be buried in the depth will only increase), playing WR IMO is his worst shot to potentially play in the NFL. But that's fine.

The reason that I compared Harrison to guys like Wroten, etc. to recently come out of Seattle is because the common trait that I see is a lot of the guys have looked to take the easiest path possible in the short-term while ultimately penalizing themselves in the long-term.

This isn't an example of where I really blame Petersen for not landing Harrison. Bringing him in at WR will not make us a better football team comparatively to what we can and will get going forward. At RB, there was probably room for a discussion but Harrison wasn't interested. At S he would have been best served long-term but again wasn't interested. To be an elite team you need guys on the roster that are willing to live by the mantra of Team --> Unit --> Me ... and given how Harrison has gone about his recruitment (which he is more than entitled to do), we're not a good fit for him.

Best of luck to him going forward ... but I personally don't think we'll miss him.

What a load of Stephen A. Bullshit. Who the hell knows what the mindset of Harrison is, what his "toughness" is, or what he truly values out of playing football. You sure as fuck don't. Maybe he wants to play WR because he's a pansy. Or maybe he actually thinks he has the skillset to succeed at that position. But your 5000 words of nonsense don't add anything to the conversation besides adding yet another chapter of your vintage shooting from the hip bullshit.
    *doesn't
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Things doogs say for 500 Alex, "We don't want this uber talented in-state athlete bc of [Fill in the blank]."

He's talented. We want him on the roster. Even as out of position depth.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,259
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This year should be a great example of why we want talented athletes on the roster even if they are riding the bench. Sometimes injuries happen and you have to play the bench.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    "hmmmn ... Florida is really far away ... Willie is kinda slimeish ... I don't wanna go to Oregon anymore ... Hi, Coach Pete? ..."
  • Options
    RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Tequilla said:

Even at RB ... I don't like Harrison better than Ahmed and we'll likely be taking 2 very high end guys in the 2019 class ... so yeah, he could get buried even if we brought him in as a RB

Ahmed could be the best RB in the country. I think Coleman has a shot at the NFL, but by mid season I wished his carries went to Ahmed.
    Ahmed at 205-210 next year is a gorgeous thought.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

I don't watch their film till they are signed.
    I generally don’t ... when I do it’s very passive. Harrison was on TV a few times - specifically against Gordon and I watched parts of that.
  • Options
    If Harrison had an epiphany and decided he was ok with getting a shot initially at WR at UW and if that wasn’t going to work out that he was open to playing either RB or S I’m 100% on board.
  • Options
    I’d love every talented kid to decide to go to UW and fight through competition ... I’m also realistic to know that kids have all kinds of reasons for choosing a school ...

5-10 years ago you took all the talented kids and worried about things later because too many spots were JAGs ...

Now, we can usually get enough talented players where we can say ok good luck to a talented kid in our backyard that has a different vision ...

Again, and I can’t reiterate this enough, I’d be ecstatic if Harrison chose UW and was open to what worked best down the road.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

I’d love every talented kid to decide to go to UW and fight through competition ... I’m also realistic to know that kids have all kinds of reasons for choosing a school ...

5-10 years ago you took all the talented kids and worried about things later because too many spots were JAGs ...

Now, we can usually get enough talented players where we can say ok good luck to a talented kid in our backyard that has a different vision ...

Again, and I can’t reiterate this enough, I’d be ecstatic if Harrison chose UW and was open to what worked best down the road.

You know, in 3-4 years (or less) we're going to be in a position where we'll be able to say "oh well, he'd be a great local recruit ... but we don't have any room ... and i'd rather have that 5* from Mater Dei anyways ..."

yeah, doogin' like that.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Well I just found out this thread is important to me. Something about this weekend, rhymes with drippy cunt.