Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nicholas Bolton, 3* 2018 ILB, Frisco (Lone Star), TX (HE GONE)

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Doesn't this trip simply tie into what we've been discussing re: recruiting strategy this year? They're telling kids to get all of the visits out of the way before you commit, which is exactly what Bolt is doing. I still think UW is in good shape with him.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Re: babysitting recruits. Does it really matter if they're in Utah, San Diego or Dallas? The difference is literally sitting on an airplane for an extra hour to get to DFW instead of SLC. It's obviously easier to keep tabs on in state kids but it's not like the coaches are having to fly to Australia to convince a kid to not visit another school. This is also why Hawaii can be a resource trap, min 6 hour flight to get there.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    BallzDeep said:

Damn. Hopefully that is just a last minute visit he needs to get out of the way before he commits to UW. But my gut tells me he's going there hoping for an offer which he will get and then he will postpone his commitment. Need to get these Texas kids in the boat and then the season will help keep them in the boat.

pat_hm said:

Re: babysitting recruits. Does it really matter if they're in Utah, San Diego or Dallas? The difference is literally sitting on an airplane for an extra hour to get to DFW instead of SLC. It's obviously easier to keep tabs on in state kids but it's not like the coaches are having to fly to Australia to convince a kid to not visit another school. This is also why Hawaii can be a resource trap, min 6 hour flight to get there.

I generally agree...

The thing that is different - strategy-wise - is he's going to A&M and they haven't offered. Clearly he's hoping to get an offer. That says something... if they offer it almost certainly will change things.

And second, in terms of baby-stting... it's not just that a flight to DFW is a 70 minute difference from LA; it's that we are looking at 1-2 kids in the vicinity realistically. So, it's not like we can visit a bunch of guys like we can with a day or two in So or Nor Cal.

It's a fair point, but our roots are so easily washed away in TX, whereas on the WC, unless a kid gets offered by USC there's really not much to worry about.

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

It's a camp at Texas A&M today with over 600 kids attending. That seems like an overwhelming amount of participants to do any sort of meaningful evaluation or recruiting.

That makes more sense - also, though, it isn't hard. If they like him, they'll use it as an excuse to offer him. It's not like they don't know who the good players who come to their camps are.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

It's a camp at Texas A&M today with over 600 kids attending. That seems like an overwhelming amount of participants to do any sort of meaningful evaluation or recruiting.

That makes more sense - also, though, it isn't hard. If they like him, they'll use it as an excuse to offer him. It's not like they don't know who the good players who come to their camps are.
    We are talking about Sumlin though
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,504
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:
    Last I saw he was listed at 5 tomahawks, 11 arrowheads.
    he shorter than that 5'10 on good day
    Disagree
    Dude he looks only about an inch taller than Peterman. He also wearing higher sole shoes.
    I just don't think he looks anywhere near the 6' 2" plus guys we seem to be wanting to go for at LB. Looks like no way he's even at 6', but it can be hard to tell in pics so I figured I'd ask.
    At best, I think he is wellington size. Which is fine, for middle LB. The kid can fucking play
    The main gripe with MLB who are short is if they can put on weight, but that's not even a question with Nick Bolton. Being 6'2" is nice, but not a requirement.
    This isn't a size doesn't matter post, but sometimes undersized guys are actually good. Adam Archuleta was a great player at ASU. Same for Pat Tillman.

Petersen is good at finding "football" players. My worry about Bolton isn't his size, but his speed. You have to cover in the PAC 12 and the no huddle offenses make it hard to sub. I couldn't tell in his film, but the two down MLB doesn't work in college football.

Bolton is a football player though. I read he's been defensive MVP of his league two years in a row.

Having a high motor is a skill. Loving to hit is a skill. That's a reason these 7 on 7's and no pads camps are stupid.

Sometimes there is too much hoopla around size and athleticism.
    Bobby Wagner is 6'. Height doesn't mean shit for a MLB.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2017

This thread is beyond gay.

This is HH after all. A place for homosexual pedophiles. @DerekJohnson you should add this to the welcome message for the newcomers.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:
    Last I saw he was listed at 5 tomahawks, 11 arrowheads.
    he shorter than that 5'10 on good day
    Disagree
    Dude he looks only about an inch taller than Peterman. He also wearing higher sole shoes.
    I just don't think he looks anywhere near the 6' 2" plus guys we seem to be wanting to go for at LB. Looks like no way he's even at 6', but it can be hard to tell in pics so I figured I'd ask.
    At best, I think he is wellington size. Which is fine, for middle LB. The kid can fucking play
    The main gripe with MLB who are short is if they can put on weight, but that's not even a question with Nick Bolton. Being 6'2" is nice, but not a requirement.
    This isn't a size doesn't matter post, but sometimes undersized guys are actually good. Adam Archuleta was a great player at ASU. Same for Pat Tillman.

Petersen is good at finding "football" players. My worry about Bolton isn't his size, but his speed. You have to cover in the PAC 12 and the no huddle offenses make it hard to sub. I couldn't tell in his film, but the two down MLB doesn't work in college football.

Bolton is a football player though. I read he's been defensive MVP of his league two years in a row.

Having a high motor is a skill. Loving to hit is a skill. That's a reason these 7 on 7's and no pads camps are stupid.

Sometimes there is too much hoopla around size and athleticism.
    Bobby Wagner is 6'. Height doesn't mean shit for a MLB.
    Why does everyone have such a hard time processing averages?

Sure, there are players that are not prototypical sizes. That is not a binary with "size doesn't mean shit".

Holy fuck. Back to dawgman with this crap.
    You know, butta baker reminds me of earl Thomas
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Bolton's the exact kind of MLB that TCU has been so successful with

Yet TCU didn't offer him even though he's in state. They came up here and took Ben WIlson instead.
    Tequilla said:

But the point is that you would always take a longer player like Azeem or Keishawn all things being equal

Keishawn is only 6"1'.