Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Trey Lowe, 4* 2018 RB/DB, Portland (Jesuit), OR (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2017

Another point about this... there is a pile of shit on the west coast this year at RB, and a plethora of WRs on the west coast. We won't get a RB this good on the west coast this year.

I'm a bit worried that our entire RB group will be sub-200, even if I do think we have depth in general. If we somehow have a chance with Demetrious Flowers, I'd be down to get 2.
    There we go again with a big back bullshit.
    It's nice to have at least one on your team. Obviously I don't want us to prioritize the size over talent, but there were some defenses this year that were better against a Gaskin type runner than a Coleman type runner. I realize this year is a bad year for it, so I'm not really thinking about it too much.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a 220+ pounder either. Not many colleges have a peak RB weight of 195.
  • Options

Another point about this... there is a pile of shit on the west coast this year at RB, and a plethora of WRs on the west coast. We won't get a RB this good on the west coast this year.

I'm a bit worried that our entire RB group will be sub-200, even if I do think we have depth in general. If we somehow have a chance with Demetrious Flowers, I'd be down to get 2.
    Who gives a fuck about Flowers? He's okay. Salvon will be close to 200 soon. Do you think 'big backs' have some fucking magical power or something?
    If you read my next post, you'll see I don't necessarily need them to be big backs that are 220+ pounds. Flowers was just an example that fit that kind of player.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

If not WR maybe he can play Defensive End?

Careful with the DE label. The TCU MBA has hard time understanding what is a joke and what is not.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Really like this kid. Great 'deceptive' speed changing and initial burst.

Here's the thing about tailbacks - what you're looking for is ability to not get hit while running and weaving through people. That's what this kid has, it's vision and the ability to set up tacklers so they can't get a clean shot and they underestimate how fast he can stop/start. That's what being a RB is about.

40 times for running backs are only interesting if they can do all of the above. The reason why I loved Sankey was he was superior at those things in HS. A lot of people on doogman fought me because they thought he was too slow 40-wise. Fuck that. That shit doesn't really matter so much.

This kid really sets up tacklers and they can never quite get to him.

That said, I hate him as a slot. Just would be a waste.

Reminds me a lot of Myles... as Pepsi said.

DDY 2, but the good kind.

I'm predicting he will flip to Stanford on Dec 3.

There are quicker ways to kill a kid than to make him a 180 pound tailback in the PAC-12.

Gaskin and Sankey were both bigger than Lowe in high school. My Quookish comp from watching his HUDL was Bralon Addison. Smart, quick and dangerous if you give him enough space.

• Options

Really like this kid. Great 'deceptive' speed changing and initial burst.

Here's the thing about tailbacks - what you're looking for is ability to not get hit while running and weaving through people. That's what this kid has, it's vision and the ability to set up tacklers so they can't get a clean shot and they underestimate how fast he can stop/start. That's what being a RB is about.

40 times for running backs are only interesting if they can do all of the above. The reason why I loved Sankey was he was superior at those things in HS. A lot of people on doogman fought me because they thought he was too slow 40-wise. Fuck that. That shit doesn't really matter so much.

This kid really sets up tacklers and they can never quite get to him.

That said, I hate him as a slot. Just would be a waste.

Reminds me a lot of Myles... as Pepsi said.

DDY 2, but the good kind.

I'm predicting he will flip to Stanford on Dec 3.

There are quicker ways to kill a kid than to make him a 180 pound tailback in the PAC-12.

Gaskin and Sankey were both bigger than Lowe in high school. My Quookish comp from watching his HUDL was Bralon Addison. Smart, quick and dangerous if you give him enough space.

Gaskin is only 190-195 right now. That is a very feasible number for Lowe.
  • Options
    KevininTacomaKevininTacoma Member Posts: 122
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    he told scout they're recruiting him to fill the Chico Role just like DDY said. Hopefully he plays RB
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

NEsnake12 said:

HUDL: hudl.com/video/3/6362281/5855ee49ff0d1a12409b472a

I actually like him as a RB. He is about as similar to Myles Gaskin as you can get. He has that weird speed where guys are going to tackle him and they end up not even touching him. Really, really good lateral quickness and explosion.

Does this mean we'll start looking at Tre'Shaun Harrison at DB?
    Tre'Shaun can play almost anywhere he wants. I love him at RB, I like him at WR, and I love him at S.
    Prototypical S build ... put him back there, have him spend some time with Lawyer Milloy ... enjoy the carnage for opposing offensive players
    Kind of curious if he could have a role similar to Jabrill Peppers at Michigan. Safety who gets some reps on offense and in the return game.
    I don't see Pete having players do double duty on offense/defense really going forward ... as long as we build the depth that we aspire to build ... there's honestly no real need to press our luck like that.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

If not WR maybe he can play Defensive End?

Careful with the DE label. The TCU MBA has hard time understanding what is a joke and what is not.
    It'd be a joke if there were less than 81% of UW fans that actually think we have DEs
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

NEsnake12 said:

I actually like him as a RB. He is about as similar to Myles Gaskin as you can get. He has that weird speed where guys are going to tackle him and they end up not even touching him. Really, really good lateral quickness and explosion.

Does this mean we'll start looking at Tre'Shaun Harrison at DB?
    Tre'Shaun can play almost anywhere he wants. I love him at RB, I like him at WR, and I love him at S.
    Prototypical S build ... put him back there, have him spend some time with Lawyer Milloy ... enjoy the carnage for opposing offensive players
    Kind of curious if he could have a role similar to Jabrill Peppers at Michigan. Safety who gets some reps on offense and in the return game.
    I don't see Pete having players do double duty on offense/defense really going forward ... as long as we build the depth that we aspire to build ... there's honestly no real need to press our luck like that.
    You're probably right. I doubt Peppers would have had that chance at Michigan anyway if he wasn't a top-5 recruit. If not offense, either punt or kick return would probably be the most he'd do if he was good enough at it.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,355
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Okay watched his tape, my initial reactions:

Looks much more like a RB than a WR. I see the Gaskin comparisons stylistically, though he looks a bit shorter/more compact than Gaskin to me. Looks much more natural as a runner than Chico - either better vision or better hips, probably both. Probably not as much top end speed though, which is fine, especially if he plays RB.

My two favorite plays on his film are a) the second play shown - insane that he was able to score as much traffic as there was on that, he juked half the team b) a play maybe half or 2/3 of the way through where a safety hits him right as he crosses the goal line and he lowers his shoulder into the safety and plows over him.

He's not going to be confused for a physical runner but he knows how to bounce off people and can inflict some pain if needed. Very Gaskin like.

For all the hype about the terrible RB class on the west this year if we keep Lowe and get Harrison that's a fantastic RB class for us.

I assume Lubick was Keanon's position coach for a couple years and that's the big reason he's coming here?
  • Options

dnc said:

Okay watched his tape, my initial reactions:

Looks much more like a RB than a WR. I see the Gaskin comparisons stylistically, though he looks a bit shorter/more compact than Gaskin to me. Looks much more natural as a runner than Chico - either better vision or better hips, probably both. Probably not as much top end speed though, which is fine, especially if he plays RB.

My two favorite plays on his film are a) the second play shown - insane that he was able to score as much traffic as there was on that, he juked half the team b) a play maybe half or 2/3 of the way through where a safety hits him right as he crosses the goal line and he lowers his shoulder into the safety and plows over him.

He's not going to be confused for a physical runner but he knows how to bounce off people and can inflict some pain if needed. Very Gaskin like.

For all the hype about the terrible RB class on the west this year if we keep Lowe and get Harrison that's a fantastic RB class for us.

I assume Lubick was Keanon's position coach for a couple years and that's the big reason he's coming here?

Yep. But, it also shows you that recruits in Oregon think UO is bullshit. He didn't even fucking wait. He was just like, 'okay, UW'.
    Hopefully. It could just mean the family is pissed Oregon let Lubick go and Trey jumped at the chance to play for his brother's position corch.

If Oregon doesn't clean up in a huge year in state I'll agree with you, and that would be fanfuckingtastic news.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I dig the no-bullshit offense he's playing in.

How many TDs he have last year? There's gotta be 15 on that tape.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I dig the no-bullshit offense he's playing in.

How many TDs he have last year? There's gotta be 15 on that tape.
    MaxPreps had him with 18 TD's in 3 games which I immediately dismissed as bullshit, but I found an article which says he had 19 TD's in his first three games, and we know his season ended early to injury, so maybe the 18 in 3 is legit (with the 19th being the pick six).