Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy Lake to Cal

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Thread is worthless without @BearsWiin
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Wouldn't lake be more inclined to stay with a top upcoming program and take a better offer(NFL or college) than going to work for a D.C. Oriented coach?

Wilcox has never been a hc and could easily turn into massive micro manager. Unless the offer was a substantial raise it doesn't sound like a good career move.

Lake could pick a lot of jobs in the country if he's really dropped his dick in the FA waters. Why the fuck would he go to kal?
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited January 2017
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited January 2017

Wouldn't lake be more inclined to stay with a top upcoming program and take a better offer(NFL or college) than going to work for a D.C. Oriented coach?

Wilcox has never been a hc and could easily turn into massive micro manager. Unless the offer was a substantial raise it doesn't sound like a good career move.

Lake could pick a lot of jobs in the country if he's really dropped his dick in the FA waters. Why the fuck would he go to kal?

Agreed. He was one I was really hoping would come to Eugene. But I'm also okay with Heyward, Clark, and Leavitt.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,969

If he stays at UW he's in the shadow of Peterman and Kawasaki, and if he goes to Cal he's just in the shadow of the Liplicker. He can seriously burnish his credentials by turning around the Cal defense. Liplicker is young and inexperienced as HC; he'll be too busy figuring out all the aspects of the job to be micromanaging his DC.

That said, I don't think he moves to Cal for a DC job if he's already got the co-HC or asst.-HC title at UW - and the salary that goes with it. Just sayin' that you can make an argument for him doing so. Love to see him do it, but don't think he will.
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    edited January 2017
    AZDuck said:

Agreed. He was one I was really hoping would come to Eugene. But I'm also okay with Heyward, Clark, and Leavitt.
    Heyward did land Brandon Beavers.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,141
    Founders Club
    DawgFader said:

Can't have it both ways. You have to pay the reserve striker on the women's volleyball team the same amount as Watson

And every football player gets paid the same at every school

Maurice wants to chime in.
    Whatever prison he's in must serve a lot of nachos.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    BearsWiin said:

If he stays at UW he's in the shadow of Peterman and Kawasaki, and if he goes to Cal he's just in the shadow of the Liplicker. He can seriously burnish his credentials by turning around the Cal defense. Liplicker is young and inexperienced as HC; he'll be too busy figuring out all the aspects of the job to be micromanaging his DC.

That said, I don't think he moves to Cal for a DC job if he's already got the co-HC or asst.-HC title at UW - and the salary that goes with it. Just sayin' that you can make an argument for him doing so. Love to see him do it, but don't think he will.
    You're getting him and you'll still be ranked too high
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,926
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    The only thing I could see is that Wilcox offered to make Lake the defensive play caller at Cal. You would think that Wilcox would still call the defense but it could be a selling point for a guy who wants to be a HC. Lake will not gave that opportunity at UW with Kawasaki around
  • Options

The only thing I could see is that Wilcox offered to make Lake the defensive play caller at Cal. You would think that Wilcox would still call the defense but it could be a selling point for a guy who wants to be a HC. Lake will not gave that opportunity at UW with Kawasaki around

Why?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

I doubt he leaves but if he does, this is the reason why.

He's probably not getting elite DC jobs or an NFL DC job when he doesn't even Cal plays at UW. And he's never going to unless Kwiatkowski leaves. At some point in the near future, Lake is going to leave.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

BearsWiin said:

He's probably not getting elite DC jobs or an NFL DC job when he doesn't even Cal plays at UW. And he's never going to unless Kwiatkowski leaves. At some point in the near future, Lake is going to leave.
    I always thought it would be the other way, Kwat leaving for an HC job and Lake moving up, but if Kwat doesn't leave soon, yr, yk.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    dnc said:

BearsWiin said:

I always thought it would be the other way, Kwat leaving for an HC job and Lake moving up, but if Kwat doesn't leave soon, yr, yk.
    I get the impression that Kawasaki isn't that interested in being HC anywhere. I think he really likes what he's doing (I get the same impression from Bob Gregory). Some guys you just know are on the HC track, like Wilcox and, from What I'm Hearing, Lake. That doesn't mean that he can't be lured by the absolute right offer, but he doesn't seem to be itching for it like these other guys are.
  • Options

BearsWiin said:

You're probably giving media and fan types too much credit. If the Cal defense improves everyone will be talking about the difference between Wilcox and Dikes

I didn't know who our defensive coordinator was for two years under Petersen. I knew he was the guy that brought defense back to Montlake, even though UW is not in Montlake.

Really the same goes for Lake. I nod my head as his fan club worries about him, but other than Smiff, Petermen seems like he can put a staff together. Great coaches expect to lose their assistants.
    But the media and fan types aren't the ones who make coaching hires. The people who do are always paying attention to these things, even if you're not.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,231
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2017
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

You're probably giving media and fan types too much credit. If the Cal defense improves everyone will be talking about the difference between Wilcox and Dikes

I didn't know who our defensive coordinator was for two years under Petersen. I knew he was the guy that brought defense back to Montlake, even though UW is not in Montlake.

Really the same goes for Lake. I nod my head as his fan club worries about him, but other than Smiff, Petermen seems like he can put a staff together. Great coaches expect to lose their assistants.
    But the media and fan types aren't the ones who make coaching hires. The people who do are always paying attention to these things, even if you're not.
    I see all

edit to add that ADs are often pretty fucking stupid as well. As we all know