Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Obamacare premiums up 116%

Comments

• Options
    HanseeHall78HanseeHall78 Member Posts: 156
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    The inability of insurance companies to properly underwrite and charge appropriate premiums for those with pre-existing conditions and without current insurance is the fundamental flaw of Obamacare.

For example, if a person with untreated Hepatitis C applies for Obamacare (who by law cannot get rejected) and it is known that the preferred treatment is a six month Harvoni pill regimen costing $90,000, what should be the fair insurance premium for that person? If the mandated premium is less than $90,000 plus an appropriate insurance company profit, who should pay the difference?

I would love to not carry insurance on my house but then be able to buy insurance after it catches on fire without a paying a premium surcharge.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The inability of insurance companies to properly underwrite and charge appropriate premiums for those with pre-existing conditions and without current insurance is the fundamental flaw of Obamacare.

For example, if a person with untreated Hepatitis C applies for Obamacare (who by law cannot get rejected) and it is known that the preferred treatment is a six month Harvoni pill regimen costing $90,000, what should be the fair insurance premium for that person? If the mandated premium is less than $90,000 plus an appropriate insurance company profit, who should pay the difference?

I would love to not carry insurance on my house but then be able to buy insurance after it catches on fire without a paying a premium surcharge.

I don't think that's how the pre existing conditions clause works.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,623
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dflea said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

I only read the headline.

However, in Arizona, unsubsidized premiums for a hypothetical 27-year-old buying a benchmark “second-lowest cost silver plan” will jump by 116 percent, from $196 to $422, according to the administration report.

But it seems to me, average plans of employer provided health care are over $1,000 a month. Not to mention, that with the exchange, you can switch to a different provider if you don't like the cost.

Someone at work was saying that in many states (not sure how many) so many insurers have pulled out that there are places with only one choice now. Take it or leave it. Again, work convo so no idea if true, but a fact check might be in order.
    To me it sounds like a good time for politicians to step up and make some changes to the bill to fix it then.
    I would prefer just repeal it, but that isn't going to happen so this thing clearly needs some serious fixes. No idea what those should be, but this seems to be a shit sandwich as it stands.
    There are many great things about the bill. No preexisting conditions, regulation so insurance companies can't drop you if you get cancer, exchanges for more transparent and "easier" medical shopping, subsidies so people can afford insurance.

The fine if you don't have insurance is the central issue that sucks. And many things need to be tweaked. Legislators need to come to the realization the bill is here and it's better to fix it than repeal it.
    The points you make are valid - the pre-existing condition thing is bullshit. Obamacare fixed that for the most part. Portability of health care is important.

The elephant in the room is the last-year-of-life costs (actually the last month). The cost to keep granny on a ventilator for another 30 days is ridonkulous. There needs to be an objective formula for continuing to pour billions of dollars into a black hole.

Most cultures let their elderly die with respect in their own homes. For whatever reason, Americans think its so much better for granny to die in a sterile hospital environment, wearing a gown and no underwear.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelbell/2013/01/10/why-5-of-patients-create-50-of-health-care-costs/#4cecb6624781
    I'm on bored with death panels.
    I'm heading your death panel up right now!
    That means boobs is perfectly safe because you're a huge pussy.
    It's also hard to measure his quality of life index when it's obvious he has no life.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2016
    Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

However, in Arizona, unsubsidized premiums for a hypothetical 27-year-old buying a benchmark “second-lowest cost silver plan” will jump by 116 percent, from $196 to $422, according to the administration report.

But it seems to me, average plans of employer provided health care are over $1,000 a month. Not to mention, that with the exchange, you can switch to a different provider if you don't like the cost.

Someone at work was saying that in many states (not sure how many) so many insurers have pulled out that there are places with only one choice now. Take it or leave it. Again, work convo so no idea if true, but a fact check might be in order.
    To me it sounds like a good time for politicians to step up and make some changes to the bill to fix it then.
    I would prefer just repeal it, but that isn't going to happen so this thing clearly needs some serious fixes. No idea what those should be, but this seems to be a shit sandwich as it stands.
    There are many great things about the bill. No preexisting conditions, regulation so insurance companies can't drop you if you get cancer, exchanges for more transparent and "easier" medical shopping, subsidies so people can afford insurance.

The fine if you don't have insurance is the central issue that sucks. And many things need to be tweaked. Legislators need to come to the realization the bill is here and it's better to fix it than repeal it.
    The points you make are valid - the pre-existing condition thing is bullshit. Obamacare fixed that for the most part. Portability of health care is important.

The elephant in the room is the last-year-of-life costs (actually the last month). The cost to keep granny on a ventilator for another 30 days is ridonkulous. There needs to be an objective formula for continuing to pour billions of dollars into a black hole.

Most cultures let their elderly die with respect in their own homes. For whatever reason, Americans think its so much better for granny to die in a sterile hospital environment, wearing a gown and no underwear.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelbell/2013/01/10/why-5-of-patients-create-50-of-health-care-costs/#4cecb6624781
    It's also hard to measure his quality of life index when it's obvious he has no life.
    His quality of life would go way up if you drowned yourself.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

I'm white I can swim!
    Well played sir.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Obamacare needed and still does need a public option to keep costs down.
    Unfortunately Obama caved quickly to just Obamacare (which was actually a right wing plan to begin with) and now it's a mess that gets blamed on left wing policies.
    Well done Barack
  • Options
    He had a democratic supermajority. Had he been a great politician who was willing to twist arms to get what he wanted he could have even gotten single payer. But instead he didn't even try for that, and caved quickly off of the public option.
    But he's a far left Marxist apparently
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

He had a democratic supermajority. Had he been a great politician who was willing to twist arms to get what he wanted he could have even gotten single payer. But instead he didn't even try for that, and caved quickly off of the public option.

Maybe you should research him a little and read some of what he has written about himself and said about himself. A quick look into what little is known about him would tell you he's a FUCKING COMMUNIST! So was his father, mother, mentor, and grandparents.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dflea said:

Sledog said:

dflea said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

*Gurgle*
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,247
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Anyone paying attention knows that Obamacare was never intended to work. It was meant to fail spectacularly so the political left would have the leverage they need to push the masses to 100% government run "single payer" healthcare. Having control of that much of the economy, particularly in a sector that has such inelastic demand results in complete and perpetual political power, which is exactly what the end game is. Throw in "free college education" and open borders over flowing with guaranteed votes and it's game over. This is the culmination of over a century of "progressive" politics. #draintheswamp is too late.
  • Options

Anyone paying attention knows that Obamacare was never intended to work. It was meant to fail spectacularly so the political left would have the leverage they need to push the masses to 100% government run "single payer" healthcare. Having control of that much of the economy, particularly in a sector that has such inelastic demand results in complete and perpetual political power, which is exactly what the end game is. Throw in "free college education" and open borders over flowing with guaranteed votes and it's game over. This is the culmination of over a century of "progressive" politics. #draintheswamp is too late.

if the liberals wanted in to fail, why is it the republicans who don't give a shit about fixing it in congress?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sledog said:

dhdawg said:

Maybe you should research him a little and read some of what he has written about himself and said about himself. A quick look into what little is known about him would tell you he's a FUCKING COMMUNIST! So was his father, mother, mentor, and grandparents.
    he might have had those opinions, but how he's governed is no farther to the left than a centrist.
    His immigration order deported all of those with criminal records.
    He made a bunch of the bush tax cuts that were sunsetting permanent.
    He implemented Obamacare, a heritage foundation proposal.
    He's intervened in 7 different countries, and ramped up the drone program.
    Expanded the NSA's spying programs
    But I get it, facts don't matter with you idiots

• Options
    dhdawg said:

Sledog said:

dhdawg said:

he might have had those opinions, but how he's governed is no farther to the left than a centrist.

He hasn't deported anyone and refuses to do so.
    He's raised taxes immensely one of the biggest being ObaMao care.
    Obama care is one of the tenets of communist control, seize health care.
    Spying on US citizens has reached unprecedented levels. Every phone call, email etc.
    He's intervened in the middle east to assist the radical muslims in taking over.
    But I get it communists downplay all of their objectives and blame others.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,899
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Obamacare premium...cost 116% more....still better deal than Dawgman premium.

• Options
    Sledog said:

dhdawg said:

Sledog said:

dhdawg said:

Spying on US citizens has reached unprecedented levels. Every phone call, email etc.
    He's intervened in the middle east to assist the radical muslims in taking over.
    You are the stupidest motherfucker here. Yes, giving private insurance companies 20 million new customers is the definition of communism. For fuck's sakes.
  • Options

Great analysis as always. Do you really think adding 20 million people to private insurance companies is a path to single payer health care? With the huge insurance lobby that bought off Democrats?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,299
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

dhdawg said:

Sledog said:

dhdawg said:

You are the stupidest motherfucker here. Yes, giving private insurance companies 20 million new customers is the definition of communism. For fuck's sakes.
    Giving?

More like forcing insurance companies to take 20 million unprofitable new customers. Considering you have a business degree, I'm surprised you can't see how this was a bad idea from the beginning.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,299
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited October 2016
    dhdawg said:

if the liberals wanted in to fail, why is it the republicans who don't give a shit about fixing it in congress?
    Republicans want a free market heath care system. They won't get it buy fixing the existing one. I think the real solution is to have both.

Have a government system that provides basic health insurance needs that's paid for by tax payer dollars. Then have a private free market system that people can pay for that provides better coverage if they want it. Also, the premium's paid in the private system should be fully tax deductible since these people will be paying taxes on a federal system they will be opting out of.