Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Obamacare premiums up 116%

Comments

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Praise be to Allah for early voting.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I only read the headline.

However, in Arizona, unsubsidized premiums for a hypothetical 27-year-old buying a benchmark “second-lowest cost silver plan” will jump by 116 percent, from $196 to $422, according to the administration report.

But it seems to me, average plans of employer provided health care are over $1,000 a month. Not to mention, that with the exchange, you can switch to a different provider if you don't like the cost.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,127
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

However, in Arizona, unsubsidized premiums for a hypothetical 27-year-old buying a benchmark “second-lowest cost silver plan” will jump by 116 percent, from $196 to $422, according to the administration report.

But it seems to me, average plans of employer provided health care are over $1,000 a month. Not to mention, that with the exchange, you can switch to a different provider if you don't like the cost.

Someone at work was saying that in many states (not sure how many) so many insurers have pulled out that there are places with only one choice now. Take it or leave it. Again, work convo so no idea if true, but a fact check might be in order.
  • Options
    Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Someone at work was saying that in many states (not sure how many) so many insurers have pulled out that there are places with only one choice now. Take it or leave it. Again, work convo so no idea if true, but a fact check might be in order.
    To me it sounds like a good time for politicians to step up and make some changes to the bill to fix it then.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    You got EVERYTHING you wanted. A positive vote on a bill unwritten. You had the chance to tweak healthcare getting more people insured and instead you destroyed it.

Your open border policy and free healthcare for immigrants is directly reflected in these obscene mandatory tax increases.

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,127
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

To me it sounds like a good time for politicians to step up and make some changes to the bill to fix it then.
    I would prefer just repeal it, but that isn't going to happen so this thing clearly needs some serious fixes. No idea what those should be, but this seems to be a shit sandwich as it stands.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    doogie said:

Yeah, but you're retarded.

YBE
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

But that would be racist.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,623
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited October 2016
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Time to step up and get rid of this communist bullshit and let insurance companies cross state lines and the free market will fix this shit!
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,299
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

But if I like my doctor can I still keep him?
  • Options
    Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

I would prefer just repeal it, but that isn't going to happen so this thing clearly needs some serious fixes. No idea what those should be, but this seems to be a shit sandwich as it stands.
    There are many great things about the bill. No preexisting conditions, regulation so insurance companies can't drop you if you get cancer, exchanges for more transparent and "easier" medical shopping, subsidies so people can afford insurance.

The fine if you don't have insurance is the central issue that sucks. And many things need to be tweaked. Legislators need to come to the realization the bill is here and it's better to fix it than repeal it.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,299
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

There are many great things about the bill. No preexisting conditions, regulation so insurance companies can't drop you if you get cancer, exchanges for more transparent and "easier" medical shopping, subsidies so people can afford insurance.

The fine if you don't have insurance is the central issue that sucks. And many things need to be tweaked. Legislators need to come to the realization the bill is here and it's better to fix it than repeal it.
    The biggest problem is families making between 75k-100k year. There is little subsidy available, yet their premiums are skyrocketing. 75k-100k households don't have the disposable income to offset these hikes.
  • Options

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

The biggest problem is families making between 75k-100k year. There is little subsidy available, yet their premiums are skyrocketing. 75k-100k households don't have the disposable income to offset these hikes.
    Kind of. Yes I get that piece and they are in the middle area that can get squeezed. But they also mostly have employer provided health care which aren't seeing these premium increases. Our firm has 3 plans, the expensive one is going up 6%, the middle one is unchanged, the HSA plan is going up 2%.

That's the issue, people see 116% and project that to all of America, even tho only 7% buys health care in the exchange and this particular increase probably only effects 1,000 people.

So it's an issue that needs to be fixed, but let's get real on the true effect this has.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,347
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

The points you make are valid - the pre-existing condition thing is bullshit. Obamacare fixed that for the most part. Portability of health care is important.

The elephant in the room is the last-year-of-life costs (actually the last month). The cost to keep granny on a ventilator for another 30 days is ridonkulous. There needs to be an objective formula for continuing to pour billions of dollars into a black hole.

Most cultures let their elderly die with respect in their own homes. For whatever reason, Americans think its so much better for granny to die in a sterile hospital environment, wearing a gown and no underwear.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelbell/2013/01/10/why-5-of-patients-create-50-of-health-care-costs/#4cecb6624781
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,957
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

To me it sounds like a good time for politicians to polish a turd in hopes it somehow changes from being a turd.
    Fixed.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

The points you make are valid - the pre-existing condition thing is bullshit. Obamacare fixed that for the most part. Portability of health care is important.

The elephant in the room is the last-year-of-life costs (actually the last month). The cost to keep granny on a ventilator for another 30 days is ridonkulous. There needs to be an objective formula for continuing to pour billions of dollars into a black hole.

Most cultures let their elderly die with respect in their own homes. For whatever reason, Americans think its so much better for granny to die in a sterile hospital environment, wearing a gown and no underwear.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelbell/2013/01/10/why-5-of-patients-create-50-of-health-care-costs/#4cecb6624781
    I'm on bored with death panels.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,198
    edited October 2016
    Bummer.

Get a better job with paid health insurance.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,623
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

Swaye said:

2001400ex said:

I'm on bored with death panels.
    I'm heading your death panel up right now!