Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What are your big storm football stories?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,334 Founders Club
Mine was in 1981 when I was 10. USC was in town. 60 MPH winds and tons of rain. Dad woke me up at 6:30am to leave at 8am for a 1pm kickoff. Looked outside and saw that our basketball hoop had broke and blown over during the night.

520 Bridge was closed down. Took us 1 hour just to cross I 90 bridge.

Husky Stadium, I remember garbage bags by the dozens swirling throughout the stadium. USC sideline was in misery. Game tied 3-3 late fourth quarter. Chuck Nelson booted a 47 yard field goal. Huskies led 6-3.

Ensuing kickoff got caught up in the wind. Bounced around, pile of bodies in the end zone. Uw's Fred Small recovered in end zone for a touchdown. Huskies won 13-3. Went to Rose Bowl that year. Magical time to be a fan.

What are your storm related stories?

Comments

• AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,090 Swaye's Wigwam
    I believe that was also the game that the flag broke free from the flag pole and ended up in the lake. There was no kneeling at the time, because 80s people weren't whiny fucks.

And DJ (the real one, not the degenerate here) was said to have given Fred Small a big kiss after that play in a Seattle Times article. NTTAWWT
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,442 Founders Club
    We were ready to go watch our Olympia Bears play at Stevens Field when the power went out as the Columbus Day storm hit late Friday afternoon.

I was convinced that they would play anyway and we were going to miss it.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter
    Do shitstorms count?
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Pack your patience!
  • DoogstoneDoogstone Member Posts: 202

We attended a shit game, played by a shit Ty team, in shit weather in 2007. Can't remember the opponent. We left at halftime. It was one of the last Husky games I attended.

USC?
  • AEBAEB Member Posts: 2,971

We attended a shit game, played by a shit Ty team, in shit weather in 2007. Can't remember the opponent. We left at halftime. It was one of the last Husky games I attended.

This was Cal. Last game UW won before Owen arrived. I was there. Good times.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    Should probably be in the Doog Confession thread, but I was one of like 10 people to stay for the entire 2006 OSU game. Rainy, windy, shitty loss that was highlighted by Stanback losing his leg.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,685 Founders Club

Should probably be in the Doog Confession thread, but I was one of like 10 people to stay for the entire 2006 OSU game. Rainy, windy, shitty loss that was highlighted by Stanback losing his leg.

Maybe this is the shit game I'm thinking about. Or, it could have been the Cal game that @AEB mentioned above.

Anyway, that was a long fucking time ago and it's a distant bad memory.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,442 Founders Club

"I watched the 2014 home game vs ASU in a monsoon and fell deeply in love with Troy Williams."

- Race Bannon

Ridiculous

I haven't been in Husky Stadium since 2007
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110

Maybe this is the shit game I'm thinking about. Or, it could have been the Cal game that @AEB mentioned above.

Anyway, that was a long fucking time ago and it's a distant bad memory.
    Pretty sure UW dominated Cal in 2007, so probably this game. I was still Doogin' it up as we were 4-2 and just coming off a close loss @SC. This loss was demoralizing and a gentle reminder that Ty was still the head coach.