Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What are your big storm football stories?

124»

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    phineas said:

salemcoog said:

phineas said:

Went to the seahawks packers Sunday night game during the ice storm of 08 (I don't remember what year it was) all the freeways were frozen over after the game and cars slid off the road and were abandoned up and down the freeways. We luckily slid off the road right at a hotel otherwise wed have been sleeping in the car that night

It was "06. I was there. It was right after Thanksgiving. And it was Monday Night Football. And I remember a bunch of snow not ice??? Maybe a different game??? Pack looked good the 1st half and then tanked it in the 2nd half.
    Yes, this, to you and grundle. The game was awesome, afterward was not.

405 was an ice skating rink
    We just did the tour after the game. Cowgirls and a couple other bars downtown afterwards and by then there was enough snow on the road to get traction but yeah it was about 2 AM when we headed east towards Woodinville and it was apocalyptical with all the cars abandoned all over the road. The dude who we stayed with had a Chrysler Pacifica and it cruised right through.

Cool story

Fuck off
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,430
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

One of my first Husky Football memories is when UW tied USC in 95. I was seven and said it was a great game. My dad gave me a death stare and started teaching me that Lambo was a shit coach.

As I recall, that day was sunny and warm. But your dad sounds smart at least.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    phineas said:

Went to the seahawks packers Sunday night game during the ice storm of 08 (I don't remember what year it was) all the freeways were frozen over after the game and cars slid off the road and were abandoned up and down the freeways. We luckily slid off the road right at a hotel otherwise wed have been sleeping in the car that night

Wasn't at the game, but listened to it in its entirety on the radio while sitting on I5. It literally took 5 hours to drive 15 miles north. People were pissing in the middle of the freeway since you were otherwise trapped. Traffic cleared just after Northgate once you weaved in and out of a dozen jackknifed semis, and the rest of the freeway was pure ice. Finally made it home only to find the power was out.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,502
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

phineas said:

Wasn't at the game, but listened to it in its entirety on the radio while sitting on I5. It literally took 5 hours to drive 15 miles north. People were pissing in the middle of the freeway since you were otherwise trapped. Traffic cleared just after Northgate once you weaved in and out of a dozen jackknifed semis, and the rest of the freeway was pure ice. Finally made it home only to find the power was out.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,481
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nobody went to the 2000 Stanford game?

I was there with my Dad and grandpa. One of the craziest experiences of my life. Randy Fasani went to Del Oro in Nor-Cal and everyone remembered he was the top recruit in the country 5 years earlier. He actually played like it for once and a handful of onside kick recoveries later we were losing.

Tui just stone cold won that game with three passes.

There were about 2000 people in the entire stadium. After Curtis Williams went down the whole team changed, you knew something was serious because it just wasn't the same. It was like watching a pick up game in a cemetery. Just a really eerie feeling witnessing a moment that eventually cost a young man his life.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,658
    Founders Club
    edited October 2016
    One of the worst feelings of my life was after I had interviewed David Williams for my book The Dawgs of War. David was the brother of Curtis and became his caretaker. We had a two hour phone interview. Toward the end I thought the conversation was getting a bit more lighthearted after all the talk of the tragedy. I said something and heard David chuckle and I started laughing, and then we said good bye and hung up.

The backstory on this was that at that point of my life I was losing hearing in my right ear, and in those days was still using my right ear on phone calls. (I can hear noise but speech sounds muffled and garbled). When I went back to transcribe the interview, I could clearly hear him crying at the end and I'm sitting there joking and laughing. I'm assuming I came across like an insensitive jackass.

I left him a couple of subsequent messages and he never responded. For all I know he didn't feel any ill will toward me, but maybe he did.

• Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,993
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Nobody went to the 2000 Stanford game?

I did. Amazing.

Also, the same day as Vanilla Vick, the coogs got murdered by Stanford in the clink. I went as a favor to a coog friend. Brutal game. Brutal weather. Perfect day to pour chip crumbs on yourself.
    Ha! I left at halftime of Vanilla Vick to go to that Cougs game to smoke weed and talk shit after getting soaked in the north side upper deck (the uncovered part. FYFMFE) . Clink was half empty and Stanford went up like 28-7 by 2nd quarter I think. It was absolutely pathetic, and even more so that I even attended.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,993
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

One of the worst feelings of my life was after I had interviewed David Williams for my book The Dawgs of War. David was the brother of Curtis and became his caretaker. We had a two hour phone interview. Toward the end I thought the conversation was getting a bit more lighthearted after all the talk of the tragedy. I said something and heard David chuckle and I started laughing, and then we said good bye and hung up.

The backstory on this was that I was that at that point of my life I was starting to lose hearing in my right ear, and in those days was still using my right ear on phone calls. (I can hear noise but speech sounds muffled and garbled). When I went back to transcribe the interview, I could clearly hear him crying at the end and I'm sitting there joking and laughing. I'm assuming I came across like an insensitive jackass.

I left him a couple of subsequent messages and he never responded. For all I know he didn't feel any ill will toward me, but maybe he did.

So the hearing loss won?