Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Fan Podcast: A Major Debate then 2 minutes on Arizona

Comments

• Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    HFNY said:

Though if I recall correctly, people were mostly wary of Jonathan Smith because he wasn't Petersen's OC at BSU (QB coach for 2 years) and only had called plays at Montana for just two seasons.

OTOH, Chow did at least have a great resume from his time at USC and BYU.

Speaking of UCLA though, I wish we had Noel Mazzone...tons of experience and he's done a good job with bringing Rosen along.

I don't get it.

I simply can't believe that Pete could have forgotten so much about coaching to have an offense this bad. Yet week after week we see this shit on the field.

He didn't forget. He just had success doing something, but now he's not, and he hasn't shown any sign of adapting and changing. He's going to live or die by his system. I don't think he believes the system is the problem.
    The UW offense under Peterson reminds me when my Broons hired Norm Chow. We all broon'd out over an OC with a killer resume and name. Then when the offense sucked we blamed talent, then it just became apparent west coast offense in 2009-2010, with spreads being all the rage and chip kelly getting going, was just not going to work like it used to.

Rick responded after 2 years and tried to make Norm learn the Chris Ault pistol...didn't work.
    I side with the roaddoog that it's the system more than the play caller.

I think there's a chance Mazzone and UCLA could part ways this offseason. His offense is simple and it allows the team to play pretty competently almost immediately. Though its almost so simple that at times it can stall out badly and he's not a great play-caller to get it out of ruts. IMO that's the reason why I lost to ASU this year.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Haven't listened yet. I'm just amazed
    Houhusky said:

@HeretoBeatmyChest I really appreciate the optimism/posidawg attitude but there are three huge things that I just cant get over and are the main reasons why I think Petey is on the track of mediocre failure.

1) You have said that you have faith because they are young and will get better. How can you possibly say that when there isnt a single skill player on offense who has improved since last year. If they havent shown they can develop the talent they currently have, what are they going to do this season off season that is going to change that trend.

2) Clock management and play calling does matter, play calling is punting on 4th and 1 from the opponents 39 yard line, play calling is putting the game in your true freshman QB's hands, play calling has lead to UW having a Run/Pass ratio less than stanford, Oregon, Oregon st., Utah, Colorado, and Arizona in the pac12. Poor clock management is blaming the chart for your terrible time management, punting the ball away when down 2 scores with 3 minutes left in the game. I recall a game or two last year that we (WE?!) lost due to not using the timeouts at the end of the game to stop the clock too. How is Pete going to improve these aspects of his poor coaching when he refuses to even acknowledge they are even problems?

3) Petersen doesnt have a single win against a quality opponent. In 2014 his best win was against a 5-7 Cal team. So far his best win this year is against a barely .500 drunk coached Sark USC team. Petersen hasn't had a single performance in 18 games where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

Its three simple satements/questions but they are the main reason why Pete has lost my support.

I wish @HeretoBeatmyChest or @HuskyInAZ or @HFNY or @Tequilla could convince me of otherwise, but deep down we all know that @RoadDawg55 @ThomasFremont @RaceBannon and I are correct with our pessimism and lack of faith in the Peanismun way.

TLDR;
    no development of current offensive players, play calling and clock management is equal to @IrishDawg22 playing madden, no quality win, whole is less than sum of the parts. Convince me these are NBD, IRYK

EDIT: I only threw in a bunch of shout outs in the hopes someone would read my @Tequilla FS long post, great poodcast, one of the best one you guys have done

Couldn't agree more with bullet point 2.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Definitely some good points and by no means is it all peaches and cream. I have some doubt too...I'm probably 70/30 right now.

Speaking to #1, there at least has been development everywhere except the skill guys.

#3 is the most concerning because there's no debate about the facts...no gray area when it comes to the numbers. The USC was a good win though, they are loaded with talent and were 3-1 after crushing ASU at their place and playing the best team in the conference (Stanford) tighter than Pac-12 team has so far. More than anything though, Petersen simply needs to win more against everyone.
    Houhusky said:

@HeretoBeatmyChest I really appreciate the optimism/posidawg attitude but there are three huge things that I just cant get over and are the main reasons why I think Petey is on the track of mediocre failure.

1) You have said that you have faith because they are young and will get better. How can you possibly say that when there isnt a single skill player on offense who has improved since last year. If they havent shown they can develop the talent they currently have, what are they going to do this season off season that is going to change that trend.

2) Clock management and play calling does matter, play calling is punting on 4th and 1 from the opponents 39 yard line, play calling is putting the game in your true freshman QB's hands, play calling has lead to UW having a Run/Pass ratio less than stanford, Oregon, Oregon st., Utah, Colorado, and Arizona in the pac12. Poor clock management is blaming the chart for your terrible time management, punting the ball away when down 2 scores with 3 minutes left in the game. I recall a game or two last year that we (WE?!) lost due to not using the timeouts at the end of the game to stop the clock too. How is Pete going to improve these aspects of his poor coaching when he refuses to even acknowledge they are even problems?

3) Petersen doesnt have a single win against a quality opponent. In 2014 his best win was against a 5-7 Cal team. So far his best win this year is against a barely .500 drunk coached Sark USC team. Petersen hasn't had a single performance in 18 games where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.

Its three simple satements/questions but they are the main reason why Pete has lost my support.

I wish @HeretoBeatmyChest or @HuskyInAZ or @HFNY or @Tequilla could convince me of otherwise, but deep down we all know that @RoadDawg55 @ThomasFremont @RaceBannon and I are correct with our pessimism and lack of faith in the Peanismun way.

TLDR;
    no development during of current players, play calling and clock management is equal to @IrishDawg22 playing madden, no quality win, whole is less than sum of the parts. Convince me these are NBD, IRYK

EDIT: I only through in a bunch of shout outs in the hopes someone would read my @Tequilla FS long post

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    Standard Supporter
    That could very well be true.

Let's say you're Petersen and in the next few weeks decide you need to fire JS, who would you hire as OC? I'm trying to think of proven coordinators that Petersen might know but not thinking of any beyond Teford and maybe Koetter.

HFNY said:

Though if I recall correctly, people were mostly wary of Jonathan Smith because he wasn't Petersen's OC at BSU (QB coach for 2 years) and only had called plays at Montana for just two seasons.

OTOH, Chow did at least have a great resume from his time at USC and BYU.

Speaking of UCLA though, I wish we had Noel Mazzone...tons of experience and he's done a good job with bringing Rosen along.

I don't get it.

I simply can't believe that Pete could have forgotten so much about coaching to have an offense this bad. Yet week after week we see this shit on the field.

He didn't forget. He just had success doing something, but now he's not, and he hasn't shown any sign of adapting and changing. He's going to live or die by his system. I don't think he believes the system is the problem.
    The UW offense under Peterson reminds me when my Broons hired Norm Chow. We all broon'd out over an OC with a killer resume and name. Then when the offense sucked we blamed talent, then it just became apparent west coast offense in 2009-2010, with spreads being all the rage and chip kelly getting going, was just not going to work like it used to.

Rick responded after 2 years and tried to make Norm learn the Chris Ault pistol...didn't work.
    I side with the roaddoog that it's the system more than the play caller.

I think there's a chance Mazzone and UCLA could part ways this offseason. His offense is simple and it allows the team to play pretty competently almost immediately. Though its almost so simple that at times it can stall out badly and he's not a great play-caller to get it out of ruts. IMO that's the reason why I lost to ASU this year.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    edited October 2015

I didn't say I had faith in the offense. I said that there is a good chance they could improve given more continuity and experience on the OL which should help the passing game. They already have some consistency in the run game. More improvement in the OL could translate to a better passing game which could in turn aid the overall offense. This relates to the last half of the year, not the big picture.

In regards to player specific improvement on the offense, none of us here really has a fucking clue. You'd have to watch every play during the season and look at multiple things for every player. With problems and youth on the OL affecting the entire offense, its hard to judge everything. We will have a better look in the games to come as well as early next year. By then the OL will have had nearly a full season of experience and then improvement in certain players would be more noticeable.

I think Josh Perkins has improved. Dwayne Washington as a receiver has improved A LOT. Gaskin has obviously grown quickly. Renfro got a lot more time last game and could show more at the end of the year. With more reps and experience the OL will improve and so will Browning and the skill guys will look better. Where I am skeptical is if the offense can improve enough to the point where it can win a conference title next year.

Play calling is overrated. Execution is underrated. The coaches have to get the players to execute or prepare them to execute better. You honestly think Pete is not reviewing all these things and calls? Christ, what coaches say publicly doesn't reflect every thought or action. How you feel about a 4th and 1 and not using a timeout is really meaningless for evaluative purposes.

Regarding your last point, so far 1.5 seasons have gone by. Thats not a lot of data to complain about lack of quality wins. Sark had some "quality wins" in year 1 and 2. How did that work out? And USC was a quality win. Don't diminish it. And ratings like SRS do a good job of balancing out quality wins, etc. If UW had beat Oregon but lost to USC people would feel slightly better because the Oregon game means more and the streak, etc.

This team was #41 last season. Heading into this season it returned what, 7 starters? Lost 4 guys on defense to the NFL. Then loses John Ross, its best offensive player. Has to play a true freshman QB, and LT, has a mess on the OL, has basically no senior class and has a fair amount of attrition over the past two years. And yet some people here think we have to win 8 or 9 games for Pete to be on track.

Go look at championship coaches not at Alabama, Florida, USC, Oklahoma and see how their record in years 3-5 compares to 1-2. There is a huge difference.

This season is a rebuilding year. Expectations should be much higher in 2016 and 2017.

Thanks for posting your thoughts, I'll try to address your points;

OL improvement:
    There simply is no evidence that because they will be one year older the OL will be any better
    Iron law: the longer a player stays here the more hated they become.

The cycle of a shitty OL:

OL is shitty -> Start young OL because upperclassman suck -> young OL gets injured because playing to young -> OL is now older but shitty because their development has been limited due to injuries -> Repeat

Improved players:
    Josh Perkins = WHO?? seriously, still underutilized but really no different of a player from last year and is mostly irrelevant when it comes to other teams planning on stopping UW.

Washington hasn't improved his vision, change of direction, balance, ability to break tackles, or how to read blocks. I will give you that he does seem to catch the ball better this year, so I guess one player has improved from last year one aspect of their game.... yay?

Gaskin and Renfro are freshman and aren't signs of year to year development, UW has always had promising young underclassmen, throughout the Willingham and Sark years.

but thats it, one half blind runningback has improved his pass catching from last year, and thats all the development we have on the offensive side of the ball for the 10+ QB/RB/TE/WR guys we have on the team.

Play calling:
    If the players can't execute the play and you keep going back to it then its a horrible combination of really shitty play calling and coaching, being "stubborn" with something that isn't working is a horrible coaching trait. Pete shouldnt be learning on the job or using the games as practice, and if he is, he is far worse than anyone has claimed he is. Last year, forcing a noodle arm QB or a QB that is a better runner than thrower into a game managing pocket passer is the perfect example of this.

Play calling and scheme (or lack thereof) is the reason why UW asks its true freshman QB to throw the ball 30 times a game behind a young OL when everyone knows that it is typically easier for a young OL to run block for its best player(s) on the field, Gaskin (and sometimes Washington (shaking and vomiting))

Quality Win:
    The fact that even Sark and Willingham (trip over the fucking low bar you fucktard peter) had better quality wins in their first 18 games is precisely why its so concerning, Pete is behind schedule when it comes to even keeping up with fucking midly SoberSark. To put it more simply, having a quality win doesnt mean you are a great coach, NOT having a quality win probably means you aren't a very good coach, but you knew that.

SRS and other things that no one cares about:
    We all know you really like SRS, but @jecornel and @RoadDawg55 are completely right, NOGAF about SRS. No one has complained about the defense but we all know that isn't Petes wheelhouse. Pete had our best offensive weapon playing CB last year. Pete is choosing to play a true freshman at QB after wasting a year playing a guy who clearly was never going to be able to play QB at a Pac12 level. We have already covered the OL.

I appreciate your thoughts, but now answer the fucking question!
    @HeretoBeatmyChest you pressed @jecornel and @RoadDawg55 to say definitively or not if Pete would win a Pac12 championship and Pac12 North Championship during his tenure here but you failed to ever give your own answer.

Will Petersen win a Pac12 Championship or win the Pac12 North during his tenure here?

What is the minimum number of wins (including bowl game) for Petersen to have this year for you to keep believing in him, I assume you wouldnt defend him if he lost out?

What is the minimum number of wins (including bowl game) for Petersen to have next year for you to keep believing in him?
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    TSWO when Vegas said UW would win 4 games this year. UW can beat OSU for that 5th win.

I expect UW to have a strong home game against Arizona, after 2 straight losses. Hungry.

UW line is -4.5 UW. I think UW wins by 6-10.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,415
    Founders Club
    I wish I had the passion for Husky Football that Chest has. That ship sailed for me in December 2007.
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,410
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Love the passion and podcast from you guys. Thanks for putting in the time on the show. I believe this this team will compete for the Pac-12 North next year provided the offense can take the next step and be just average, and the defense can generate more turnovers and learn to get off the field on 3rd and long.

At the start of the year, everyone thought this was a 6 win team (+/- a win) and unless it goes in the shitter they will be right there.

I'm still in the Chest camp, but if we are having any discussions NEXT year about this offense being still putrid then "houston we have a major problem" with CP as our head coach and I will be giving kudos to Roadie and JC.

Chester, do you think CP should remove Jonathan Smith as oc/playcaller at the end of the year, and will he if the season plays out like it has so far offensively?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,415
    Founders Club
    edited October 2015

I wish I had the passion for Husky Football that Chest has. That ship sailed for me in December 2007.

Which is why you have a web site dedicated to the Huskies in the year 2015?

That ship hasn't sailed, it's just lost its rudder after taking on copious amounts of Patron and slamming into a coral reef.
    I sat with my dad for the Oregon game. When we would give up a long touchdown pass, I would shout "damn it!" and then shake my head in disappointment.

Simultaneously, my 76-year old, mild-mannered dad would be so upset I wondered if he was about to pitch himself over the ledge. He took losing to Oregon very personally. I realized for the 100th time that the extreme level of passion I used to have is not there anymore. Maybe it will come back one day, but it's not there now.

• Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,495
    Founders Club

Which is why you have a web site dedicated to the Huskies in the year 2015?

That ship hasn't sailed, it's just lost its rudder after taking on copious amounts of Patron and slamming into a coral reef.
    I sat with my dad for the Oregon game. When we would give up a long touchdown pass, I would shout "damn it!" and then shake my head in disappointment.

Simultaneously, my 76-year old, mind-mannered dad would be so upset I wondered if he was about to pitch himself over the ledge. He took losing to Oregon very personally. I realized for the 100th time that the extreme level of passion I used to have is not there anymore. Maybe it will come back one day, but it's not there now.

Which dad?

*mild-mannered
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When looking at UW's future chances, you also have to look at the rest of the conference. Stanford will likely regress a little bit next year, but they will still be good. Their downfall has been predicted for 3 or 4 years now and it hasn't happened. I don't think anyone can definitively say UW will be better than Stanford next year.

Helfrich is kind of a dumbass, but if Oregon can find anyone to play QB, they will probably have the best offense in the conference. A new DC could obviously pay dividends too. They have the best RB's and skill guys in the conference. USC is close.

Cal is Cal and the Coogs are the Coogs, but those are the teams that are currently UW's peers. Nobody outside of UW fans will be picking UW to win the North next year. They will be picked third, which is basically where we have been the past 5 years.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,077
    Swaye's Wigwam

When looking at UW's future chances, you also have to look at the rest of the conference. Stanford will likely regress a little bit next year, but they will still be good. Their downfall has been predicted for 3 or 4 years now and it hasn't happened. I don't think anyone can definitively say UW will be better than Stanford next year.

Helfrich is kind of a dumbass, but if Oregon can find anyone to play QB, they will probably have the best offense in the conference. A new DC could obviously pay dividends too. They have the best RB's and skill guys in the conference. USC is close.

Cal is Cal and the Coogs are the Coogs, but those are the teams that are currently UW's peers. Nobody outside of UW fans will be picking UW to win the North next year. They will be picked third, which is basically where we have been the past 5 years.

We're in the middle of a monumental rebuilding task

Again

Forever
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    @HeretoBeatmyChest that was your very best effort