Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Fan Podcast: A Major Debate then 2 minutes on Arizona

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,890
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Puppy knows more about football than people give him credit for. For example: he called out the bullshit SEC vast superiority in 2013 (along with FM Bill - it's fun to do the third person thing).
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,890
    Founders Club
    You guys should do a Seahawk podcast. I know you talk about them sometimes. Maybe dumb it down a little for all the 12s from Everett and Spanaway. Don't use too many four syllable words.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Did anyone else get wood from 25:00 on when Chest went crazy?

I'm not ashamed to admit I could have pole vaulted a Dixie cup.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    This podcast is a turd. It's three guys that all kind of know what they are talking about.

The Husky Halfbrain podcast has Race who kind of knew what he was talking about and RIP @iDawg who was a complete fucktard. That was funny.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just want to point out one thing. You don't call a fucking bubble screen, it's put in as one read on a play depending on how the secondary is playing. Because the offense sucks so much dick opposing defenses can play straight up, don't have to respect the deep ball or the run. So when the qb sees that it's "open" he throws it out there to Mickens, the other receivers fuck up their blocks, and it's the usual 2 yard gain.

It's the modern Gilby pass to the fullback

Always open!!!!!
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    Standard Supporter
    Great stuff guys, thanks for putting in the time.

As some may already know, I'm more with Chest.

At least we can be happy that the weather will probably force JS' hand in staying with the running game this Saturday night. Regardless, I have no doubt that Petersen will make a change at OC if JS doesn't step it up.

Swaye said:

Road said something that really fucking depressed me. If Peterfuck wins 7-8 games a year, most years, he is here as long as he wants to be. My money is right there with Road. How fucking sad is that? This motherfucker will just keep us in the shit tier 5th or 6th Pac-12 seeded bowel every year (except this year) and basically stay for a decade. Maybe throw one 9 game win year and a Holiday bowl in there with a second place finish in the North.

Fuck. It's over.

UW has finished in the top half of the Pac-12 once in the past 14 years according to SRS. UW is currently 6th in the conference. If it finishes there then it will have done something its only done once in the past 14 years during a major rebuilding year and what most observers felt would be Pete's worst or most difficult year. While the Pac-12 is much worse than it was just a few years ago, this is still an important development.

If you don't understand the importance of the metrics then you are selling yourself short as a knowledgeable observer/fan. (Kind way of saying you are a fucking clown). People here were happy to use the metrics argument when it proved that Sark's teams were worse than their record indicated. Now its the opposite and people want to dismiss it. The power programs (USC, Ohio St, Oklahoma, Florida) almost never fall below #40. Its another reason why they can be fully rebuilt within two years as opposed to everywhere else where it takes 3-4 years.

Bottom line, as a rebuilding year this will be deemed successful. It's reasonable to say you have concerns about year 3/4 but when properly evaluated in the proper context, this year will be successful.

Most people here completely misunderstand the effect of coaches. Its not game to game or week to week. Their biggest impact does not come in a linear fashion or game to game. For most coaches it is not fully realized until after a few years. So far with Pete, the positives far outweigh the negatives or the one giant negative. The offense will naturally improve as it gets more experience, but the real debate should be will it be good enough to lead UW to win the conference. That is truly uncertain. If they can fix the offense they will be really successful the next few years. If not they will likely win 8/9 games and not be as good as they could be. (Yes fuckos, if they can win 6-7 with a super young team, they will win a few more with experience).

We are in very good shape right now with Pete relative to the rest of the conference. He will be here a long time and that is a good thing. Most Pac12 schools are going to have major coaching turnover over the next few years when the fruits of Pete's early work will be seen. He came here to challenge himself and win championships, not coast to a big salary and quasi retirement.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

I just want to point out one thing. You don't call a fucking bubble screen, it's put in as one read on a play depending on how the secondary is playing. Because the offense sucks so much dick opposing defenses can play straight up, don't have to respect the deep ball or the run. So when the qb sees that it's "open" he throws it out there to Mickens, the other receivers fuck up their blocks, and it's the usual 2 yard gain.

Always open!!!!!
    That's what them quotation marks are for. Note to the Doogs, I'm not excusing the bubble, I'm asking why they don't put in a different constraint play if it's obviously not going to work. Go read the smart football dude about the power run game, it's a good review of what Smiff isn't fucking doing.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Good poadcast. Great sexual tension. My favorite part was Jimmy's "I want to go to bed" just before the 46' minute mark.

I agree partly with Chest that there may be some future improvement, and we've seen some positives, but the bottom line is they've played like a bunch of fucking losers, and there is no sign that they will start playing like winners.

So even if there is some small improvement, it won't be enough to actually win anything. There just isn't any evidence that this program going anywhere. Roadee and Jimee are on point.
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    dear allah......THAT was a fucking podcast

worth my 10.95 a month.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Always open!!!!!
    That's what them quotation marks are for. Note to the Doogs, I'm not excusing the bubble, I'm asking why they don't put in a different constraint play if it's obviously not going to work. Go read the smart football dude about the power run game, it's a good review of what Smiff isn't fucking doing.
    I got it. No worries
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,609
    Founders Club

As always a win this week would help maters immensely.

Talk is cheap, let's see it on the field. They need to win out. Next year starts Saturday. The future is now. Patience is for losers. Play like a champion today. Fight the fuck on

The future was actually yesterday, brah
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Talk is cheap, let's see it on the field. They need to win out. Next year starts Saturday. The future is now. Patience is for losers. Play like a champion today. Fight the fuck on

The future was actually yesterday, brah
    QUACK!
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,235
    Founders Club

Talk is cheap, let's see it on the field. They need to win out. Next year starts Saturday. The future is now. Patience is for losers. Play like a champion today. Fight the fuck on. Alcohol is prohibited beyond this point.

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited October 2015

Always open!!!!!
    I got it. No worries
    Gotcha. My mistake.
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2015
    Listened to the new podcast today. I half expected Chest to say, "RoadDawg you ignorant slut" at one point.

I really enjoyed the podcast. I'm kinda of in the middle on the state of the program right now. Like Chest, I see lots of positives that could pay off but *only* (to echo Roadie and Jimmy's points) if huge changes are made on offense. How does the old saying go? "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." If Sark can get rid of Holt, then Petersen can fire Smith.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2015

I don't get it.

I simply can't believe that Pete could have forgotten so much about coaching to have an offense this bad. Yet week after week we see this shit on the field.

He didn't forget. He just had success doing something, but now he's not, and he hasn't shown any sign of adapting and changing. He's going to live or die by his system. I don't think he believes the system is the problem.
    The UW offense under Peterson reminds me when my Broons hired Norm Chow. We all broon'd out over an OC with a killer resume and name. Then when the offense sucked we blamed talent, then it just became apparent west coast offense in 2009-2010, with spreads being all the rage and chip kelly getting going, was just not going to work like it used to.

Rick responded after 2 years and tried to make Norm learn the Chris Ault pistol...didn't work.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2015
    Though if I recall correctly, people were mostly wary of Jonathan Smith because he wasn't Petersen's OC at BSU (QB coach for 2 years) and only had called plays at Montana for just two seasons.

OTOH, Chow did at least have a great resume from his time at USC and BYU.

Speaking of UCLA though, I wish we had Noel Mazzone...tons of experience and he's done a good job with bringing Rosen along.

I don't get it.

I simply can't believe that Pete could have forgotten so much about coaching to have an offense this bad. Yet week after week we see this shit on the field.

He didn't forget. He just had success doing something, but now he's not, and he hasn't shown any sign of adapting and changing. He's going to live or die by his system. I don't think he believes the system is the problem.
    The UW offense under Peterson reminds me when my Broons hired Norm Chow. We all broon'd out over an OC with a killer resume and name. Then when the offense sucked we blamed talent, then it just became apparent west coast offense in 2009-2010, with spreads being all the rage and chip kelly getting going, was just not going to work like it used to.

Rick responded after 2 years and tried to make Norm learn the Chris Ault pistol...didn't work.