Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why does Jordan get a pass for '95?

DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,477
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
I'm hungover as shit at the cliffhouse chugging bloody Mary's when it occurs to me, why does MJ get a pass for losing to the magic in 95?

The legend goes he won 3, retired, came back and won 3 more thus making him invincible in his prime. Reality is he came back for the final 17 games of the 95 season, averaged 30 in the eastern conference finals but lost to baby Shaq and penny.

LeBron gets shit for his finals record vs. MJ 6-0, but MJ failed to get there in his prime.

Same thing for Montana 4-0> Brady 4-2 fs.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Okay so call it 6-1

6-1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2-4.

I agree that getting there and losing >>>>>>> not getting there. But Jordan got there 6 times out of 7, and he always Finish!(ed) when he did.

And while LeBron making it five times straight is impressive, winning the modern Eastern conference is not exactly winning the East when Jordan was there. Those Piston teams >>>>>>>> any team LeBron has faced in his career, and that Magic team was better than any of the dreck LeBron's beaten out the last few years.

The pro LeBron argument is that the two Cavs team he took to the Finals were far worse than any team Jordan or Kobe ever took there. The 95 Magic don't do anything to help LeBron's case, IMO.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Okay so call it 6-1

I agree that getting there and losing >>>>>>> not getting there. But Jordan got there 6 times out of 7, and he always Finish!(ed) when he did.

And while LeBron making it five times straight is impressive, winning the modern Eastern conference is not exactly winning the East when Jordan was there. Those Piston teams >>>>>>>> any team LeBron has faced in his career, and that Magic team was better than any of the dreck LeBron's beaten out the last few years.

The pro LeBron argument is that the two Cavs team he took to the Finals were far worse than any team Jordan or Kobe ever took there. The 95 Magic don't do anything to help LeBron's case, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm taking MJ over Lebron, but the worship of Jordan being unbeatable is a little misled and nobody mentions it.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

dnc said:

Okay so call it 6-1

Don't get me wrong, I'm taking MJ over Lebron, but the worship of Jordan being unbeatable is a little misled and nobody mentions it.
    Agree, though I don't agree with using 95 so much. Dude had been gone a year and a half, it wasn't just a matter of him getting back in the flow, it was the team who had played without him all year having to re-gel that late in the season.

The Pistons plungering da Bulls all those years is greater evidence of MJ not being unbeatable, IMO.

All that said, once he broke through, he was a fucking assassin.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He played 17 games. No training camp, no extended practice before showing up, etc. He had some moments like the 55 point game against the Knicks at MSG, but he was understandably rusty. He shot 41%.

From a roster standpoint the team might have been one player away. For the first 3 championships, the Bulls had Horace Grant. For the last 3 they had Dennis Rodman. Jordan's legend would have been that much greater if he won that year, but there really isn't anything to criticize about it. He won 6 fucking championships and was the best player in the league for all 6.

LeBron is great, but he waltzes through a dreckfest conference every year until the finals. Race will argue that Jordan's teams were so much better, but they also played better competition. They had to get through Detroit and the early 90's Knicks were damn good. The 2nd run was easier. The 2011-12 Celtics were the only team from the East worth a damn the past five years LBJ has made the finals.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,825
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I will argue that claiming the East has been so bad all 5 years is dooging at its finest. Winners win and Lebron owns the East.

Same folks claim the pac 12 doesn't suck even though oregon wins it rather easily

Jordan beat a shitty West every year other than Phoenix

Why not just let the results stand? Jordan doesn't get blamed for 95 because he was playing baseball.

Pippen claiming he was a good as Lebron is what deserves shit
  • Options

He played 17 games. No training camp, no extended practice before showing up, etc. He had some moments like the 55 point game against the Knicks at MSG, but he was understandably rusty. He shot 41%.

From a roster standpoint the team might have been one player away. For the first 3 championships, the Bulls had Horace Grant. For the last 3 they had Dennis Rodman. Jordan's legend would have been that much greater if he won that year, but there really isn't anything to criticize about it. He won 6 fucking championships and was the best player in the league for all 6.

LeBron is great, but he waltzes through a dreckfest conference every year until the finals. Race will argue that Jordan's teams were so much better, but they also played better competition. They had to get through Detroit and the early 90's Knicks were damn good. The 2nd run was easier. The 2011-12 Celtics were the only team from the East worth a damn the past five years LBJ has made the finals.

The only thing I'd add to this is that if MJ had played all year in 95 and they didn't win the title that would have hurt his legacy a lot IMO. If he needed Pippen (easily top 5 player in the league) AND a stud power forward AND a legendary coach to win titles he's not the GOAT imo.

Of course, I think he could have won it had he played all of 95. Wish we could have seen it though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I will argue that claiming the East has been so bad all 5 years is dooging at its finest. Winners win and Lebron owns the East.

Same folks claim the pac 12 doesn't suck even though oregon wins it rather easily

Why not just let the results stand? Jordan doesn't get blamed for 95 because he was playing baseball.

Being as big of fan boy of a player is kind of weird for a 60 year old man. Do you have a poster of LeBron in your bedroom too?
  • Options

@GrandpaSankey can see that the east has been dreck for the last ten years minus the two or three seasons where the Celtics mattered.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'd argue 17 games (plus 2 playoff series) to warm up with a team you are familiar with is enough to get back in the swing of things, especially if you're the greatest ever.
  • Options

Being as big of fan boy of a player is kind of weird for a 60 year old man. Do you have a poster of LeBron's cock in your bedroom too?
  • Options
    GrandpaSankeyGrandpaSankey Member Posts: 956
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

@GrandpaSankey can see that the east has been dreck for the last ten years minus the two or three seasons where the Celtics mattered.
    Keep my name out of your mouf boy. I've got Race's back on this. Us blind grandpa's gotta stick together.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Being as big of fan boy of a player is kind of weird for a 60 year old man. Do you have a poster of LeBron in your bedroom too?
    That's not a counter argument, that's an admission of defeat
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Pistons broke up once they lost to the Bulls. The Knicks were the Knicks. The rest of the east was non existent. The NBA has always been top heavy. It's like none of you actually watch basketball.

A 4 year old in 1991 is telling me about Jordan
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2015

That's not a counter argument, that's an admission of defeat
    Right. What are you even arguing? LeBron is as good as Jordan? The East hasn't been a dreckfest? I've said LeBron is great many times. It's undeniable, but you get butthurt over any comment that doesn't gush over him.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Pistons broke up once they lost to the Bulls. The Knicks were the Knicks. The rest of the east was non existent. The NBA has always been top heavy. It's like none of you actually watch basketball.

Your basketball analysis consists of, "LeBron's gonna win because I really want him to."
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

GOT
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

I might be a homer to some degree, but the 1992 Blazers with Drexler, Porter, Kersey, and Robinson has been long considered one of the best NBA teams in history NOT to win a championship.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I might be a homer to some degree, but the 1992 Blazers with Drexler, Porter, Kersey, and Robinson has been long considered one of the best NBA teams in history NOT to win a championship.
    I'm going to definitely home it up and say the 95-96 sonics with payton-kemp-shrempf in their prime was a legit team as well.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

The Jazz had two hall of famers and won 64 and 62 games the two years they made the finals.
    Doogles said:

I'm going to definitely home it up and say the 95-96 sonics with payton-kemp-shrempf in their prime was a legit team as well.
    Points being, Jordan didn't have gimmies in the finals.