Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Some 2nd Hand Info

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
edited April 2015 in Hardcore Husky Board
A buddy of mine is a high school coach. He was able to practice on Saturday for the coaches clinic. He said he went to one of the first practices too. He didn't say anything very exciting, but it's the offseason so fuck it. He's a DB coach and followed them around so most of his comments were about the DB's, WR's and QB's.

QB - We are fucked. All three made multiple bone headed decisions. He said Lindquist looked the best. We know he sucks though. Lately, we have been seeing a bunch of "well, maybe he's gotten better, he played well the first half in Hawaii, blah blah. And he probably has gotten better. But a guy that can't beat out Miles and doesn't have the coach's confidence to get a shot, even when Miles was really struggling.... It's common sense here. We know he's not any good.

He said KJ looks the part, but has terrible accuracy. Browning struggled, which is expected but I wish he came in and killed it right away. My hope is Browning develops quickly. I have only watched film, but he seems like the only QB of the 3 that has the skill set for Petersen's offense. Otherwise Petersen needs to be flexible with his offense because neither Lindquist or KJ will be consistently accurate. I don't know how to work around that without overhauling the offense, but it's what will need to be done.

I don't like already being down to plan C this year in recruiting considering we almost certainly don't have an even average Pac 12 QB at this point. Is there another Pac 12 school with a QB situation as bad as ours? I had a little doog hope that Miles was leaving because it was obvious KJ and/or Browning were going to start.

DB's were okay. Said the safeties except Budda are terrible. Corners were better. Lake told my buddy and a couple other coaches there that things would look a lot different in the fall. He was a big fan of Lake.

He thought the WR's were good. Said they would be often open but the QB would either throw to another covered guy or couldn't get the ball there accurately.

TL, DR - Our QB play is still really bad.

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    QB play will be what completely dictates our season ... bottom line.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    sounds like quite a nationally relevant program we've seen built over the last 15 years.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

It's a shame that Petersen has ruined the great quarterback legacy that Sark built here

*Peterman
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,362 Swaye's Wigwam
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    I'm just reading this as a continuation of the @RoadDawg55, "I love Cyler" narrative.

If I don't do that, I'm going to be a suicide risk.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    Does not bode well for this season. Huskies don't have the overall team talent to get by with a "game manager" type of QB, they need a guy who can actually make plays. Sigh...

I'm just reading this as a continuation of the @RoadDawg55, "I love Cyler" narrative.

If I don't do that, I'm going to be a suicide risk.

Could always go find a LB to insert into the QB race ...

I might help you out and buy the gasoline for your trip to the Aurora Bridge if that happens.
    You guys aren't giving me reason to up my season ticket total.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter
    HuskyJW said:

You guys aren't giving me reason to up my season ticket total.

You're welcome

I talked to someone at same clinic. He said similar stuff about the QBs, Jeff's probably the starter just because. Didn't mention the accuracy part but similar tone: We know Lindy doesn't have it but he's best we got right now.

RBs: Not much to see during my guy's time there. One remark, "Dotson's tiny but really, really fast."

OL: Wasn't sure what to make of those guys. Said Brostek looked good, bigger. Seemed to be an understanding the group during spring probably wouldn't be the starting group at BSU.

Most impressed with the DL, said what some of us here had been speculating that the overall talent isn't going to fall off much from 2014. Vita Virga is really big and moves well. Disly looks good.

As for the clinic, he said it was the best in a decade, and several times more coaches in 2015 than 2014. He said Petersen had a great presentation on overall type stuff and then tackling in specific. The other standout presenter was Jake Browning's HS coach.

I talked to someone at same clinic. He said similar stuff about the QBs, Jeff's probably the starter just because. Didn't mention the accuracy part but similar tone: We know Lindy doesn't have it but he's best we got right now.

RBs: Not much to see during my guy's time there. One remark, "Dotson's tiny but really, really fast."

OL: Wasn't sure what to make of those guys. Said Brostek looked good, bigger. Seemed to be an understanding the group during spring probably wouldn't be the starting group at BSU.

Most impressed with the DL, said what some of us here had been speculating that the overall talent isn't going to fall off much from 2014. Vita Virga is really big and moves well. Disly looks good.

As for the clinic, he said it was the best in a decade, and several times more coaches in 2015 than 2014. He said Petersen had a great presentation on overall type stuff and then tackling in specific. The other standout presenter was Jake Browning's HS coach.

Thanks for the post but voted down because it depresses me.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    I knew we were fucked at QB the minute we lost Cyler to the NFL.

It is concerning to hear so many second and third hand rumors from high school coaches who don't think Peterman is getting it done at this level.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,718 Swaye's Wigwam
    What I'm curious about is how much the QBs are struggling compared to last year, specifically Lindquist 2014 and 2015. Is there measurable progress between last spring and now? Is this progress sufficient or acceptable given his ceiling and given the difference in instruction between the 'basics' of year 1 and whatever they're doing now? And how do KCJS and Browning compare to Williams?

I guess these coaches might be able to provide some insight on the difference between Day 1 and Day 15 if they're back for the Spring Preview.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I was at the clinic and practice and disagree with what your friends had to say about the QBs. I will get a post up about what I saw and my thoughts soon.

I was at the clinic and practice and disagree with what your friends had to say about the QBs. I will get a post up about what I saw and my thoughts soon.

Pepsi is dialed in

What I'm curious about is how much the QBs are struggling compared to last year, specifically Lindquist 2014 and 2015. Is there measurable progress between last spring and now? Is this progress sufficient or acceptable given his ceiling and given the difference in instruction between the 'basics' of year 1 and whatever they're doing now? And how do KCJS and Browning compare to Williams?

I guess these coaches might be able to provide some insight on the difference between Day 1 and Day 15 if they're back for the Spring Preview.

What is his ceiling?

How did you determine that?
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,623 Swaye's Wigwam

It's a shame that Petersen has ruined the great quarterback legacy that Sark built here

It's a shame this HS coach hasn't won a BCS bowl with all his expert knowledge

It's a shame this HS coach hasn't won a BCS bowl with all his expert knowledge
    The statistical reality is that every one of those coaches would love the chance to coach just one player with the athletic gifts as any UW player they saw at practice.