Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Some 2nd Hand Info

Comments

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131
    I'll wait til fall to pass judgement on Pau's, Bonnell, and DuRocher
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter

I think most positions are in okay shape and will improve consistently. But I agree that QB play is going to be the deciding factor and might limit the appearance of progress that is made at most other positions. The reports that KJ is throwing picks and couldn't beat out Lindquist right away are definitely troubling.

I just can't believe Lindquist is that bad if he is. If he is the guy they should have him be a running QB and mix in high percentage throws and then deep bombs, which he actually is good at throwing.

Can you name a time last year where Lindy ran like a 6-4 240 running QB?
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,594 Founders Club
    I'm not that worried about QB. The media said nobody stood out after Tuitama left U of A. Nick Foles is at worst an average NFL starter now.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

I think most positions are in okay shape and will improve consistently. But I agree that QB play is going to be the deciding factor and might limit the appearance of progress that is made at most other positions. The reports that KJ is throwing picks and couldn't beat out Lindquist right away are definitely troubling.

I just can't believe Lindquist is that bad if he is. If he is the guy they should have him be a running QB and mix in high percentage throws and then deep bombs, which he actually is good at throwing.

I'm not 100% convinced that Lindy can't be a serviceable QB this year ... it's very possible that he wasn't ready last year and was a bit in over his head. Unlike Miles where we struggled to find any area where he could perform at a high level, I think that there are at least a few areas where we have a sense that Lindy could perform successfully in (throwing the deep ball, running the football). If you go back to last year, you could say that one of the more impressive drives that Washington had was salting away the Hawaii game where the Swede wasn't great, but he did the things that they needed to do to get the win on those drives.

Magna Carta is still a RS Frosh and it's not crazy to think that he has some upside to him but is still raw. Big difference going from the scout team to starting right away. And barring Browning clearly distancing himself between now and August (which is still very possible), it's in the best interest of both him and the program to redshirt.

The bottom line is that the job is there to be had by any one of three guys if they can make the needed leap to take the job and run with it.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter

I talked to someone at same clinic. He said similar stuff about the QBs, Jeff's probably the starter just because. Didn't mention the accuracy part but similar tone: We know Lindy doesn't have it but he's best we got right now.

RBs: Not much to see during my guy's time there. One remark, "Dotson's tiny but really, really fast."

OL: Wasn't sure what to make of those guys. Said Brostek looked good, bigger. Seemed to be an understanding the group during spring probably wouldn't be the starting group at BSU.

Most impressed with the DL, said what some of us here had been speculating that the overall talent isn't going to fall off much from 2014. Vita Virga is really big and moves well. Disly looks good.

As for the clinic, he said it was the best in a decade, and several times more coaches in 2015 than 2014. He said Petersen had a great presentation on overall type stuff and then tackling in specific. The other standout presenter was Jake Browning's HS coach.

The same guy who killed Browning's arm and competitive drive in one fell swoop?
    One in the same. Just what I'm hearing.
  • PenacePenace Member Posts: 494
    Not a surprise really. The way the offense is constructed we should be a power run team with alot of 2 TE sets and Lindquist running (designed) 5-10 times a game. Below average at QB, WR, and OL. Average at RB...Average to above average at DL, way way below average at LB and Average at DB....fuck :-&
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,612
    I'll wait until fall ball to get my panties in a bunch.

Besides don't most teams with newish coaches improve the most from their 1st season to the 2nd season? Or am I talking out of my ass again?
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160

I'm not that worried about QB. The media said nobody stood out after Tuitama left U of A. Nick Foles is at worst an average NFL starter now.

Foles is way better than anybody on the UW roster. Way better.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    edited April 2015
    Tequilla said:

I'm not 100% convinced that Lindy can't be a serviceable QB this year ... it's very possible that he wasn't ready last year and was a bit in over his head. Unlike Miles where we struggled to find any area where he could perform at a high level, I think that there are at least a few areas where we have a sense that Lindy could perform successfully in (throwing the deep ball, running the football). If you go back to last year, you could say that one of the more impressive drives that Washington had was salting away the Hawaii game where the Swede wasn't great gave Dennis DeYoung the middle finger, told him to fill his gas can, and wait for him at the Aurora Bridge, but he did the things that they needed to do to get the win on those drives.

Magna Carta is still a RS Frosh and it's not crazy to think that he has some upside to him but is still raw. Big difference going from the scout team to starting right away. And barring Browning clearly distancing himself between now and August (which is still very possible), it's in the best interest of both him and the program to redshirt.

The bottom line is that the job is there to be had by any one of three guys if they can make the needed leap to take the job and run with it.
    What Dennis DeYoung read in my post:

• ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    it would be better if either Williams or Miles was still around, or even both. I know neither one was great, but at least there would be more experience and competition to go around.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I'm not 100% convinced that Lindy can't be a serviceable QB this year ... it's very possible that he wasn't ready last year and was a bit in over his head. Unlike Miles where we struggled to find any area where he could perform at a high level, I think that there are at least a few areas where we have a sense that Lindy could perform successfully in (throwing the deep ball, running the football). If you go back to last year, you could say that one of the more impressive drives that Washington had was salting away the Hawaii game where the Swede wasn't great gave Dennis DeYoung the middle finger, told him to fill his gas can, and wait for him at the Aurora Bridge, but he did the things that they needed to do to get the win on those drives.

What Dennis DeYoung read in my post:

Totally agree.
  • BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279

DickRod also ran a gimmicky option offense with Vanilla Vick and Solomon.

They also had great all-conference caliber running backs the past two years to lean on.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744

DickRod also ran a gimmicky option offense with Vanilla Vick and Solomon.

They also had great all-conference caliber running backs the past two years to lean on.
    The Marshall's post was a flaming turd....and then you went and sprayed it with gasoline.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    If coke's thread is sticky worthy than so is this one.
  • OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    1 in 4 odds that Cyler is back as your starting QB in the fall.

Didn't he miss out spring last year too... and was till the best you guys had?
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    OZONE said:

1 in 4 odds that Cyler is back as your starting QB in the fall.

Didn't he miss out spring last year too... and was till the best you guys had?

In Columbus more guys hold hands than male females, and this is no exaggeration