Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Study Suggests Oregon is Doomed for a Downturn with Helfrich

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    The 2nd biggest doog on this bored is a Broon
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    AZDuck said:

topdawgnc said:

What Slingblade has going for him is the system.

It was designed to be easy and it is incredibly hard to stop.

Until someone, besides Holt, comes up with a defense that is a scalable blueprint ... Oregon will run the PAC.

The odds also say they will win a NC in the next 3-5 years.

It literally is next man up ... because of the system.

If it was all just a system, everyone would be doing it. Look, no reasonable duck expects you assholes to be falling over yourselves to exclaim how awesome Oregon is. But don't give in to bouts of willful self-delusion and wishful thinking just so you can go back to how it used to be, because that's even less likely than Helfrich being the next Knute Rockne.
    Dude,

Sorry to pour sand in your panties.

Facts, are facts.

It is a system, which requires execution. Oregon does that well.

Time will tell if Slingblade can manage the system as well as Chip did. But even Chip himself has said he can put any QB in his system and it will be successful.

Kelly has said several times that he can make his system fit any quarterback.

It's a system ... and it is all about execution of said system in a fast way that gives the offense a very decided advantage.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I think we're talking past each other. Yeah, there's a system. It's a spread. Like any spread, it tries to put skill players in space. Kelly was able to make Masoli successful because of the running threat both from Masoli but also LaMike and Droughns. This in turn opens up the passing lanes. I get all that. Leach's Air Raid is based on a similar principle, only it relies on 5 wideouts to ensure that one will be open on every play. Clearly one is executed better than the other. Also, I think that run-n-shoot offenses are kind of FS because defenses can blanket the field with quarters or zone coverages. But I digress.

Execution is coaching. I think Slingblade really answered the bell after the Arizona game, and the team's execution has been *really* good. He'd have to lose 6-7 games next year to warm the seat, anyway.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    AZDuck said:

I think we're talking past each other. Yeah, there's a system. It's a spread. Like any spread, it tries to put skill players in space. Kelly was able to make Masoli successful because of the running threat both from Masoli but also LaMike and Droughns. This in turn opens up the passing lanes. I get all that. Leach's Air Raid is based on a similar principle, only it relies on 5 wideouts to ensure that one will be open on every play. Clearly one is executed better than the other. Also, I think that run-n-shoot offenses are kind of FS because defenses can blanket the field with quarters or zone coverages. But I digress.

Execution is coaching. I think Slingblade really answered the bell after the Arizona game, and the team's execution has been *really* good. He'd have to lose 6-7 games next year to warm the seat, anyway.

Yes, he made it to the Larry Culpepper National Championship.

The further the players get from Chip, the closer we get to finding out how good Slingblade is at managing the system.

I don't know if he is a good coach. I do know Urban Meyer is better ... and Jim Harbaugh is better ... but other than that ... we shall see.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    My buddy has the data and runs it for various time periods. Cumulatively, Oregon has the #1 SRS for the last 8 years, 6 years etc.

Chip may have been questioned the first few games in 2009 but Oregon's ascension began when he was hired the OC. Its similar to how Osborne played a huge rule in Nebraska winning 2 NC's in the years after he became OC. In Boise's case, when Hawkins was coach many people were saying Petersen was the genius behind everything.

The point of the study was to show the pattern of regression in internal hires following an elite coach. The NC game outcome actually doesn't prove or disprove anything in all honesty. The real test will be years 4-5. The study shows that these coaches often don't regress until years 4-5 in many cases.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,794
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Quuooooooksssss
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    topdawgnc said:

Until someone, besides Holt, comes up with a defense that is a scalable blueprint ... Oregon will run the PAC.

Running the PAC with their system won't get them a natty.

They can get away with being soft because the rest of the conference sucks. When they face a REAL team like Ohio State or Alabama, they're fucked.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,233
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

This is a whole lot of words to say "Odds are good Slingblade can't be as good as the Fag because statistically, how many elite Coaches follow one after another."

That said, there is a shitload of doogery in this thread. Those fucking meth pumping assholes just played in the NC, a couple years after playing for an NC. Holy fuckall. I would give my right nut to have a "system team," even if I got my shit pushed in the NC. Christ.

Voted up except for having a system team. I respect what they've done, it's impressive, but I'm not a fan of that approach. I like my Huskeyes and Husktides approaches much better.

The rest is HH classic material, and I'm guessing some of those tatted up road warrior sloots you post pictures of would have no problem strapping it on and helping you out in exchange for a jewel deposit rather than actually taking the jewel. By the way, you're slipping. Those posts were the highlight of the week in here. I'm sure I'm not alone in missing them. Bring em back!
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

This is a whole lot of words to say "Odds are good Slingblade can't be as good as the Fag because statistically, how many elite Coaches follow one after another."

That said, there is a shitload of doogery in this thread. Those fucking meth pumping assholes just played in the NC, a couple years after playing for an NC. Holy fuckall. I would give my right nut to have a "system team," even if I got my shit pushed in the NC. Christ.

Voted up except for having a system team. I respect what they've done, it's impressive, but I'm not a fan of that approach. I like my Huskeyes and Husktides approaches much better.

The rest is HH classic material, and I'm guessing some of those tatted up road warrior sloots you post pictures of would have no problem strapping it on and helping you out in exchange for a jewel deposit rather than actually taking the jewel. By the way, you're slipping. Those posts were the highlight of the week in here. I'm sure I'm not alone in missing them. Bring em back!
    FREE PUB! The Road Sluts are still around...just percolating...
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,794
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Oregon has had a great run and I'd be pretty satisfied if Pete goes.750 over his first five years. Including '07, they have to be around .850. Chip was a great coach. Usually the asst promotions don't work out that well. I'm confident they will slip at some point. It's hard not to. Carroll slipped his last yr.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I remember reading here that posters were actually disparaging what Oregon has done. I said the same thing as you. If Petersen ever goes 70-11 over 6 seasons (Kelly & Helfrich years) with a couple conference championships and a couple Rose Bowls, I will be the first in line to blow him.
    Exactly, I hate the fucking shit ass Ducks, some of our kick ass poasters notwithstanding....but come the fuck on...I like ragging on that re-re looking imbecile Slingblade too....but come the fuck on...Oregon has been, for the last 6-8 years, my Husky wet dream. And even if Slingblade shits the bed over the next couple of years (likely yes, but who the fuck knows at this point), fucker still popped off and won a Rose Bowl.
  • Options
    Cuogar_GoldCuogar_Gold Member Posts: 360
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I remember reading here that posters were actually disparaging what Oregon has done. I said the same thing as you. If Petersen ever goes 70-11 over 6 seasons (Kelly & Helfrich years) with a couple conference championships and a couple Rose Bowls, I will be the first in line to blow him.
    Exactly, I hate the fucking shit ass Ducks, some of our kick ass poasters notwithstanding....but come the fuck on...I like ragging on that re-re looking imbecile Slingblade too....but come the fuck on...Oregon has been, for the last 6-8 years, my Husky wet dream. And even if Slingblade shits the bed over the next couple of years (likely yes, but who the fuck knows at this point), fucker still popped off and won a Rose Bowl.
    Spread uptempo system with good skill players, not enough beef, and a shit defense? Take away the Heisman and NC appearance and that is the Coog's wet dream, not UW's. HTH
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye said:

Good perspective poast. In short, it's far better to be a quook than a doog.
  • Options

topdawgnc said:

Running the PAC with their system won't get them a natty.

They can get away with being soft because the rest of the conference sucks. When they face a REAL team like Ohio State or Alabama, they're fucked.
    Or a real team like Auburn, which resulted in a field goal loss?
  • Options

Your program was shown to the entire country for what it was. The epic quook pressing on this board has been unreal. LSU, Ohio State, Auburn, they all laughed at your meth'd out excuses and bullshit exclamations of "We'll be back!" Christ. The Committee has seen enough out of you marshmallows. Oregon is fucked. Helfrich is a fucking loser (he's from Oregon, of course he is). Oregon was arrogant in promoting clueless morons like Pellum, who wouldn't understand defense if it cut a hole in the back of his pimp suit and fucked him in the ass.

The butthurt in this post proves the point that 1.) It's best to be a quook. 2.) It's worse to be a doog. 3.) It can't get any worse than being a cuog.