Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Petersen's comments...presented without comment

Comments

• FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223

I only have one question/concern with Petersen. His offense went to shit without Kellen Moore his last two years at Boise. After Moore graduated, Petersen changed his system and went hurry up/no huddle like everyone else. The Boise State fans complained about Prince (the OC) the past two years. UW fans were glad Petersen didn't bring him along to UW. Then he brings along his QB coach of those bad offenses to be the OC at UW. It's too early to make any bold conclusions, but I suspect that something isn't right. And I think it goes beyond the talent. Finding a Kellen Moore isn't easy.

If Petersen is who we think he is, it will get fixed. Great coaches make those changes, Don James in the late 80's being a great example. Or maybe, the players improve with time in the same system. I think it's logical to have some concern about it though. 3 years in a row of mediocre to bad offense is a fair sample size.

Agree totally on the Boise direction. It was a combo of too much of the same thing after years, being spoiled by Moore and winning, and the inept offense which included a shitty QB. I want to say UW's offense would be light years different with a competent QB who can make decisions and sling the ball, but that argument could be stated both ways without much confidence on a winner.

CP wasn't recruiting big time QB's at Boise b/c it's hard to find very good qb's to play at that level. Kellen fell in their lap thanks to WSU(which is mind boggling) and UW not being interested. At least UW had a decent QB.

I'd say boise and UW have been plagued by the same thing the last 3 years. Poor QB play which makes everything else magnified. It isn't all Miles fault, not even close. But he makes the offense churn to some point and that's where the heap of the blame goes. "IF" Troy, KS or Browning can develop into something I would imagine people would sing a different tune. But until we have a QB who threatens a defense and makes them scared to blitz, we're not going to have any offense look good.
  • CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    edited October 2014
    Are you saying Price sucked? He had his limits, but he's no Southwick or Miles.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    Canard said:

Are you saying Price sucked? He had his limits, but he's no Southwick or Miles.

The last 2 years CP was at boise, and the one this year at UW. No, I'm not saying Teeth was a bad qb.
    Sorry, misread BSU and UW as a continuum.
  • PDXDuckFanPDXDuckFan Member Posts: 450
    edited October 2014
    Passion said:

If you don't think UW has inherent & exceptional recruiting advantages, then you're dumber than most of the trash that fills autzen stadium every week.

First of all, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. People love Seattle. It's reached a point where people hear the word "Seattle," and they immediately think "great place to live." End of story.

The UW has an elite academic reputation and the rankings to prove it, unlike the three glorified community colleges that make up the rest of the northwest's pac-12 schools.

UW is a stone throw from some of the hottest tech companies in the world, so there is opportunity here outside of football. Not so in pullman, pewgene or corvalis.

Fan support - Awesome & well-known.

Are we getting all the OKGs we want right now? No, but we have advantages that are simply unmatched by most other schools.

Doogs gonna doog.

Yep, kids from Texas, FL, Alabama, and CA grow up their entire lives hoping for the chance to play college football in Seattle. All it is going to take is a coaching staff that literally has never consistently recruited 4-5* athletes, and has no idea how to do so.

Seattle's a draw for unemployed liberal arts majors who think that $15/hr pouring coffee is beneath them, until they're still in that job a year later with massive student debt that they can't pay back to Uncle Sucker. For an 18 year-old elite athlete? It's much easier to just stick with the UCLAs/USCs/OUs/Bamas of the world. It took Oregon years of winning and hundreds of millions dollars in facility upgrades to start attracting those type of players to the point of getting in the door, and the Ducks still rarely get the truly elite difference-makers.

Losing Sark/Tosh/Wilcox, and their recruiting connections, is going to hurt UW much more than any coaching upgrade CoachPeeth gives the Dawgs over having Sark.

HFNY said:

Wasn't Petersen's record vs. BCS teams something like 10-3 in his time at BSU? He also had a winning record against top 25 teams. I'm just not sure how C'Tard can explain that away

First of all, 13 games against BCS competition in 8 years as a coach is embarrassing, and show how small-time Boise really is.

Secondly, now that he's in with the Big Boys, CoachPeeth is 2-2 against BCS schools, with a few more losses to come this season. If they can't beat Arizona State, their season is basically another disappointment.

Comparatively, Oregon's "shitty" coach Slingblade is 14-3 against BCS teams in just a season and a half. Peterman has a lot of experience in beating up teams that didn't have BSU's talent. I'm interested to see how Coach "CoachEmUp" survives in the Pac12 without any experience recruiting Pac12-level players.

• LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,298

Passion said:

If you don't think UW has inherent & exceptional recruiting advantages, then you're dumber than most of the trash that fills autzen stadium every week.

First of all, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. People love Seattle. It's reached a point where people hear the word "Seattle," and they immediately think "great place to live." End of story.

The UW has an elite academic reputation and the rankings to prove it, unlike the three glorified community colleges that make up the rest of the northwest's pac-12 schools.

UW is a stone throw from some of the hottest tech companies in the world, so there is opportunity here outside of football. Not so in pullman, pewgene or corvalis.

Are we getting all the OKGs we want right now? No, but we have advantages that are simply unmatched by most other schools.

Doogs gonna doog.

Yep, kids from Texas, FL, Alabama, and CA grow up their entire lives hoping for the chance to play college football in Seattle. All it is going to take is a coaching staff that literally has never consistently recruited 4-5* athletes, and has no idea how to do so.

Seattle's a draw for unemployed liberal arts majors who think that $15/hr pouring coffee is beneath them, until they're still in that job a year later with massive student debt that they can't pay back to Uncle Sucker. For an 18 year-old elite athlete? It's much easier to just stick with the UCLAs/USCs/OUs/Bamas of the world. It took Oregon years of winning and hundreds of millions dollars in facility upgrades to start attracting those type of players to the point of getting in the door, and the Ducks rarely get the truly elite difference-makers.

Losing Sark/Tosh/Wilcox, and their recruiting connections, is going to hurt UW much more than any coaching upgrade CoachPeeth gives the Dawgs over having Sark.

yup, Pete will never learn to recruit like a twink from New Hampshire did
    edited October 2014
    brchco12 said:

He's never had to before. Do you think he's magically going to start landing multiple 4-5* players? Take a look at UW's verbals this year compared to the Sark/Tosh years.

You can bash Chip Kelly all you want, and yes, Peterman did beat Chip on the field, but you'll be creaming your pants if Peterman has even half the success Kelly had at UO. Hell, I think you'll be creaming if you can even reach Slingblade levels of success.

Kelly also didn't have an entire new coaching staff. The long-time Oregon assistants have spent years getting recruiting pipelines in CA and TX. Going from Bellotti to Kelly didn't make much difference, since the staff was the same.

brchco12 said:

Passion said:

Doogs gonna doog.

Seattle's a draw for unemployed liberal arts majors who think that $15/hr pouring coffee is beneath them, until they're still in that job a year later with massive student debt that they can't pay back to Uncle Sucker. For an 18 year-old elite athlete? It's much easier to just stick with the UCLAs/USCs/OUs/Bamas of the world. It took Oregon years of winning and hundreds of millions dollars in facility upgrades to start attracting those type of players to the point of getting in the door, and the Ducks rarely get the truly elite difference-makers.

Come on now, forking cash for players is in the institutional memory of UW.
    Canard said:

Come on now, forking cash for players is in the institutional memory of UW.

Petermen helped get Boise State slapped with LOIC 2011. Even Chip didn't cheat that obviously.

brchco12 said:

He's never had to before. Do you think he's magically going to start landing multiple 4-5* players? Take a look at UW's verbals this year compared to the Sark/Tosh years.

You can bash Chip Kelly all you want, and yes, Peterman did beat Chip on the field, but you'll be creaming your pants if Peterman has even half the success Kelly had at UO. Hell, I think you'll be creaming if you can even reach Slingblade levels of success.

Pete pulled in 4 4* as well as 90% of the class in the 2 months he had after getting hired. those 4* guys weren't interested in UW.

5 4* so far this year, including a QB who fits his system and chose us over alabama.

I'm not saying he's going to have the onfield success of chip, but to say he's somehow never going to be able to recruit at a high level, or even a mediocre level like his predecessor is duckFS.

I'm honestly confused why people think recruiting wont be good under Pete, every bit of data we have proves the opposite.
    brchco12 said:

5 4* so far this year, including a QB who fits his system and chose us over alabama.

Five 4* players according to which site? Every site I've seen has the Dawgs with two 4* players.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Pac-12

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings?action=login

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2015/PAC12/all

Is Cody Bruns being counted as a 4* again?

• topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

brchco12 said:

Kelly also didn't have an entire new coaching staff. The long-time Oregon assistants have spent years getting recruiting pipelines in CA and TX. Going from Bellotti to Kelly didn't make much difference, since the staff was the same.

Fuck ...

You are one stupid mother fucker.

Chip Kelly was a bumpkin from New Hampshire who drove a broke down Volvo when he showed up in Eugene. Nobody but Bellotti knew who he was.

Any team would love to have Chip as their coach, he is a great coach.

Slingblade ... let's reserve judgement on him in 2 more years when he isn't surfing in Chip's wake.

All of Peterman's staff has been working the west coast ... you dumb fuck.

Jesus ...

And from an earlier post ...

Kids in Texas don't dream of moving to Eugene ...

Oregon has done well ... great program ... I wish dipshits like you knew how to use a fork.
    holy shit we're not arguing about star ratings, you are a fucking moron
    edited October 2014
    topdawgnc said:

All of Peterman's staff has been working the west coast ... you dumb fuck.

They haven't been recruiting Pac12 players ... you dumb fuck. Boise gets the dumbshits who couldn't get into a Pac12 school, or the lesser players while Sark and Kelly were recruiting their better teammates. Peteman had better win this year, because losing those NFL guys on defense is going to make for a tough 2015, along with losing 4/5 of the OL.

brchco12 said:

holy shit we're not arguing about star ratings, you are a fucking moron

Well of course you're not going to argue it. I just made you out to be a complete dipshit about your own team's recruiting this year.

Five 4* guys in this glass. Just shoot yourself.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

brchco12 said:

Five 4* players according to which site? Every site I've seen has the Dawgs with two 4* players.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Pac-12

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings?action=login

http://sports.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/teamrank/2015/PAC12/all

Fuck me for poasting this link

• topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

brchco12 said:

topdawgnc said:

And from an earlier post ...

Kids in Texas don't dream of moving to Eugene ...

I never claimed they did, and I said that even though UO tries recruiting the big-time players, more often than not they lose out to a UCLA, USC, or a Notre Dame. I was responding to the Doog who was claiming that Seattle is some big draw for players. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. It's not. It may as well be Eugene, except that in Eugene players throw snowballs, while at UW the starting QB beats up Seahawk fans for fun.