Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TequillaFS Prediction Time - Mariners

If they don't lose their last 3 series, they'll be at worst in a position to play a 1 game playoff for the opportunity to play in a 1 game playoff for the opportunity to play 5 games against the Angels.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    In other words, the season is over.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UW will win 10 in 2013, Clippers will beat Thunder, Clippers will beat Warriors in 5, UW will go 12-1 this season (they won't). You make a lot of dumb predictions too, but kudos on the Mariners winning 85-90 games.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

UW will win 10 in 2013, Clippers will beat Thunder, Clippers will beat Warriors in 5, UW will go 12-1 this season (they won't). You make a lot of dumb predictions too, but kudos on the Mariners winning 85-90 games.

You like to talk about all the times that I'm wrong but you don't talk about all the times I'm right
    You deserve props for this one. I'm just salty about picking the Mariners to win 70.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

You like to talk about all the times that I'm wrong but you don't talk about all the times I'm right
    You deserve props for this one. I'm just salty about picking the Mariners to win 70.
    Long live RoadDawg123!!
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Downplaying the pitching staff entering the season. Calling for 70 wins. Calling for a collapse in a month they went 18-10.
    Congrats roaddawg. I don't think Arizona123 could've been as wrong as you this season
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

Downplaying the pitching staff entering the season. Calling for 70 wins. Calling for a collapse in a month they went 18-10.
    Congrats roaddawg. I don't think Arizona123 could've been as wrong as you this season

1) Baseball is for fags. 2) The Mariners still suck. 3) The rotation doesn't look that great anymore.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    They lost the first series ...

I'm smelling a Saturday elimination ...

At least I'll get to celebrate a Husky win before heading to Safeco to verbally abuse heckle every single Mariner hitter that doesn't deserve to be in the Major Leagues.
  • Options

dhdawg said:

1) Baseball is for fags. 2) The Mariners still suck. 3) The rotation doesn't look that great anymore.
    1. FO, RD 2. Agree 3. Yes, but they were great for most of the year
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

They lost the first series ...

I'm smelling a Saturday elimination ...

At least I'll get to celebrate a Husky win before heading to Safeco to verbally abuse heckle every single Mariner hitter that doesn't deserve to be in the Major Leagues.

They'll be done before saturday
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Gotta admit, 87-75 or whatever beat my expectations by 10 wins. I don't really follow them closely enough to know if they'll sustain it or fall on their faces again next year
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,485
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    They should be able to sustain/improve. Their pitching should be excellent again, and the offense can't be worse, and should improve. If they can add a bat or two, they could be pretty good.
  • Options
    They absolutely have set themselves up for a good season net year. If they make a good move or 2 this offseason, perhaps adding some depth in the OF and the pitching staff. Finding an actual dh. And if Lloyd McClendon figures out Saunders is good and stops benching him next season, they could be pretty good and perhaps push 90 wins.
    I just have no faith that those moves will actually be made
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dhdawg said:

They absolutely have set themselves up for a good season net year. If they make a good move or 2 this offseason, perhaps adding some depth in the OF and the pitching staff. Finding an actual dh. And if Lloyd McClendon figures out Saunders is good and stops benching him next season, they could be pretty good and perhaps push 90 wins.

The last few times they were "good", they crashed and burned the following season. I agree that they are setup more for success than they have been in a long time, but the Mariners are gonna Mariner and I would guess < 80 wins next year.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    dhdawg said:

They'll sign a few more arms even though they don't need to, and they will either sign a .220's power only hitter or nothing offensively at all. This will set up for a perfect 78-84 follow up season. Why do I root for the Mariners?
  • Options
    edited September 2014

dhdawg said:

They'll sign a few more arms even though they don't need to, and they will either sign a .220's power only hitter or nothing offensively at all. This will set up for a perfect 78-84 follow up season. Why do I root for the Mariners?
    Sounds about right. You forgot to mention the power only hitter will spend a lot of time playing the OF even though his only legitimate position is DH, and will probably spend half the year on the DL.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This feels a little different because of how much youth there was in the roster and some of the steps forward that they took in the second half of the season. Of course, the Mariner management has never shown an ability to actually take an aggressive stance towards trying to win a title - which in the AL, they actually are in a great position to do so going forward if you look around the league (Detroit has a ton of arms, terrible pen, aging roster, terrible minor league system (trust me, I know this one firsthand) and probably no more than this year or next before their run ends; Yankees are a hot mess; Boston seems like they are in a bit of a transition right now as their next generation of players gets to the majors; KC/Cleveland are solid but don't inspire as world beaters; Texas also seems a bit of a hot mess; Oakland SHOULD take a massive step backwards next year as they went all in this year; and the Angels IMO aren't as good as their record showed).

What the Mariners need to prioritize this offseason if I was the GM:

1) Target bolstering the Starting Rotation

For as much as the Mariners had a great pitching staff this year, they also smoked and mirrored it a bit in places and barring attention will expect to see a bit of a regression here next year. Moreover, you have the most valuable assets in a potential trade for a bat in your rotation - so if you move one of them you'll need to backfill. Unlike with the bats, the potential free agents available in SP is relatively deep and allows you to target without feeling like you're going to have to get into a massive bidding war.

Tequilla's Plan of Action: Exercise Iwakuma's $7M club option and plan on him being your #3 starter; Target Jon Lester to be your #2 option and prepare to offer a 5 year contract in the $85M to $100M range. Monitor the health of Elias (who you most likely won't be able to trade as a result) and determine if you need to find a stop gap for the #5 spot in your rotation as the odds are that you'll be trading at least one of Paxton/Walker (which I'm ok with because I'm not sold on having more than 2 guys in my rotation that have still yet to complete a full major league season which I would be if I ran w/ a rotation of Felix + Kuma + Paxton + Walker + Elias). Moreover, you have ZERO organizational depth right now in the way of SPs ready to come up to help via injury, etc. with the only one even remotely close being Hultzen and that's not one I'd count on at all at this point. Look for a bounce back candidate comparable to Chris Young in 2015 - my call would be Justin Masterson. He's shown a tendency to pitch very well in odd numbered years and blows up on even numbered years. Given his performance this year, he's a guy I could see taking a one year contract in the hopes of having a solid year and then going back out on the market.

2) Find 2 bats offensively

With the number of young players on the roster, you have to expect a number of them to continue growing next year. Zunino in particular I expect better than the .199 he hit this year. Taylor/Miller will play it out at SS. I've seen enough at this point from LoMo to see that he's a competitor and someone you want on the team. He also showed that with regular playing time he can hit at a level that you will be more than satisfied with as a #7 hitter. Cano/Seager clearly are fine. I wouldn't be against flipping Jackson for a better leadoff hitter if you can pull it off. But he's not the problem per se. Saunders can't seem to stay healthy enough but I'm more than comfortable with him being your #3/#4 OF along with Ackley. Your most likely 2 positions where you are going to find the upgrade though will be in the OF and at DH - which means you might be able to use one of these 2 as a potential trade bait if needed. At least 1 of your bats needs to be an impact caliber RH hitting bat to balance out your lineup.

Tequilla's Plan of Action:

You probably will have to pay too much for Nelson Cruz and if you couldn't get him to Seattle last year, you aren't getting him this year. While he had some injury issues this year, I'd target Michael Cuddyer given that he can give you versatility in the OF, 1B, and DH. It's a great complement to LoMo. I'd look to see if he'll go for something in the 2 years for $25M range or 3 for $35M if he wants term. The #1 target though should be offering a godfather trade offer for an about to enter his prime Paul Goldschmidt. The DBacks are terrible and he's the one singular chip that they have that can turn into some ready major league talent with some potential impact along the way. Their rotation is crappy. Their pen is crappy. I'd offer them Walker + Ackley/Saunders + DJ Petersen (who you can move if you get Goldschmidt) + a relief arm that can help them (I'd try to push Medina on them).

Execute this plan and you should be looking at getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 92-95 wins next season and in a good spot to compete at a high level in a very mediocre AL for at minimum the next few seasons.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

This feels a little different because of how much youth there was in the roster and some of the steps forward that they took in the second half of the season. Of course, the Mariner management has never shown an ability to actually take an aggressive stance towards trying to win a title - which in the AL, they actually are in a great position to do so going forward if you look around the league (Detroit has a ton of arms, terrible pen, aging roster, terrible minor league system (trust me, I know this one firsthand) and probably no more than this year or next before their run ends; Yankees are a hot mess; Boston seems like they are in a bit of a transition right now as their next generation of players gets to the majors; KC/Cleveland are solid but don't inspire as world beaters; Texas also seems a bit of a hot mess; Oakland SHOULD take a massive step backwards next year as they went all in this year; and the Angels IMO aren't as good as their record showed).

For as much as the Mariners had a great pitching staff this year, they also smoked and mirrored it a bit in places and barring attention will expect to see a bit of a regression here next year. Moreover, you have the most valuable assets in a potential trade for a bat in your rotation - so if you move one of them you'll need to backfill. Unlike with the bats, the potential free agents available in SP is relatively deep and allows you to target without feeling like you're going to have to get into a massive bidding war.

Tequilla's Plan of Action: Exercise Iwakuma's $7M club option and plan on him being your #3 starter; Target Jon Lester to be your #2 option and prepare to offer a 5 year contract in the $85M to $100M range. Monitor the health of Elias (who you most likely won't be able to trade as a result) and determine if you need to find a stop gap for the #5 spot in your rotation as the odds are that you'll be trading at least one of Paxton/Walker (which I'm ok with because I'm not sold on having more than 2 guys in my rotation that have still yet to complete a full major league season which I would be if I ran w/ a rotation of Felix + Kuma + Paxton + Walker + Elias). Moreover, you have ZERO organizational depth right now in the way of SPs ready to come up to help via injury, etc. with the only one even remotely close being Hultzen and that's not one I'd count on at all at this point. Look for a bounce back candidate comparable to Chris Young in 2015 - my call would be Justin Masterson. He's shown a tendency to pitch very well in odd numbered years and blows up on even numbered years. Given his performance this year, he's a guy I could see taking a one year contract in the hopes of having a solid year and then going back out on the market.

With the number of young players on the roster, you have to expect a number of them to continue growing next year. Zunino in particular I expect better than the .199 he hit this year. Taylor/Miller will play it out at SS. I've seen enough at this point from LoMo to see that he's a competitor and someone you want on the team. He also showed that with regular playing time he can hit at a level that you will be more than satisfied with as a #7 hitter. Cano/Seager clearly are fine. I wouldn't be against flipping Jackson for a better leadoff hitter if you can pull it off. But he's not the problem per se. Saunders can't seem to stay healthy enough but I'm more than comfortable with him being your #3/#4 OF along with Ackley. Your most likely 2 positions where you are going to find the upgrade though will be in the OF and at DH - which means you might be able to use one of these 2 as a potential trade bait if needed. At least 1 of your bats needs to be an impact caliber RH hitting bat to balance out your lineup.

You probably will have to pay too much for Nelson Cruz and if you couldn't get him to Seattle last year, you aren't getting him this year. While he had some injury issues this year, I'd target Michael Cuddyer given that he can give you versatility in the OF, 1B, and DH. It's a great complement to LoMo. I'd look to see if he'll go for something in the 2 years for $25M range or 3 for $35M if he wants term. The #1 target though should be offering a godfather trade offer for an about to enter his prime Paul Goldschmidt. The DBacks are terrible and he's the one singular chip that they have that can turn into some ready major league talent with some potential impact along the way. Their rotation is crappy. Their pen is crappy. I'd offer them Walker + Ackley/Saunders + DJ Petersen (who you can move if you get Goldschmidt) + a relief arm that can help them (I'd try to push Medina on them).

Execute this plan and you should be looking at getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 92-95 wins next season and in a good spot to compete at a high level in a very mediocre AL for at minimum the next few seasons.

I stopped reading after you giving priority #1 to bolstering the starting pitcher. Didn't the Mariners already try that a few years back when they signed Cliff Lee? Same stupid shit. The only time this franchise was ever relevant was when we had two strong starters with a strong bullpen with a steroid laden lineup. The first two are fine. Since steroids are now discouraged the Mariners will just have to pay more money.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

I stopped reading after you giving priority #1 to bolstering the starting pitcher. Didn't the Mariners already try that a few years back when they signed Cliff Lee? Same stupid shit. The only time this franchise was ever relevant was when we had two strong starters with a strong bullpen with a steroid laden lineup. The first two are fine. Since steroids are now discouraged the Mariners will just have to pay more money.
    Agree completely. If Lester wants to give us a discount to come home, sure I'd take him. Otherwise starting pitching is not priority #1, 2 or 3.
  • Options
    Finding a high obp guy with speed needs to be the #1 priority imo. I heard on the radio that mariner leadoff hitter combined for a .287 obp. I liked the Jackson trade at the time but he clearly isn't the answer and neither is moog fan favorites James Jones or endy Chávez.
    Aoki seems like a great fit on paper. Probably my #2 target to victor Martinez when you take into account cost.
    In terms of SP I am not interested in going big, save the money for the offense and sign McCarthy or liriano for depth purposes.
    Also need a DH, if they want to go cheap Billy butler will give you league average offense which is still a step up from what they had this year. Martinez and Cuddyer both seem like good fits though.
    They can also explore the trade market