Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners offseason prediction is in.

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Ideally the M's sign Soler to a 3 year, 45 million deal. As the writer mentions, back-loaded would be ideal (such as $11 mil first year, $16 mil in 2025, and $18 mil in 2026). Still can play a little RF / LF but probably don't want him out there for more than 20 games).

https://mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/mariners-rumors-jorge-soler-diamondbacks-free-agent.html

Then they trade for Arozarena in LF and Paredes at 3B and most would be forgiven. Otherwise, it would be sad if they went and got Tommy Pham for LF. 1 year at $5 million would allow them to keep prospects but actually be short-sighted.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I hope dipshit owner sells his soul and somehow the M's pull Ohtani out of their ass.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's still possible for Dipoto to salvage this mess as long as he can go into the $140s. It would take some smart moves.
  • Options
    Fyfmfe, ohtani to Dodgers for 700 mil
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fyfmfe, ohtani to Dodgers for 700 mil

For real? JFC that's retarded.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I don't understand the idea of paying Ohtani as a 2-way player when the guy has blown his elbow out twice. $70 mil a year is full retard for a DH and 3rd guy in the rotation (when he can actually throw a year from now).
  • Options
    Might be BS, but my sources are telling me M's offered 1 year for $65 mil.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Might be BS, but my sources are telling me M's offered 1 year for $65 mil.

I actually don't doubt it that much. One year at that price would've been weird, but who knows? I believed all along that Stanton would authorize Dipoto to pursue Ohtani but with limits. Had no idea what the limits would be.

I'd like to think that it was Seattle that bid the price up just to try and make it hurt.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I just remembered that this gives me some relief from a big mistake I made with my fantasy team. I had Ohtani (hitter only) for $28. He would've been worth freezing at that price had he stayed eligible for our league (American League teams).

For some reason, when he shut it down and sold his couch before the season ended, I impulsively dumped him. I should've just put him on the DL or even sacrificed a bench spot just to keep that option open for next season. Dumb move that I can stop kicking myself for now.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

It's still possible for Dipoto to salvage this mess as long as he can go into the $140s. It would take some smart moves.

What moves would you make if you were Dipoto?
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,264
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

He may have to sign Snell to ship Woo/Miller for bats. I’m not a fan of this because of Snell’s command, but I’m on board if it can get a corner thumper.

$70,000,000 per year…I guess money did matter. Belli and Chapman just got a lot richer, and probably some other guys too…the negotiations just got a lot tougher.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,264
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    EDIT: Snell is really fucking good, don’t get me wrong. The game has changed sooooooo much, with count-leverage and sequencing. Snell’s shit is so good that he cuts against the trend, but five is five. He is a bullpen shredder…

I would peg Bellinger to the Giants, and maybe Chapman as well. They whiffed on Correia, Judge, and now Shohei. Chapman has played for BoMel, they have money to burn, and a fan base/media that is not as forgiving as Seattle. The clubs that were in on Shohei will be wheeling and dealing now…I don’t include the M’s in that grouping
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

Soler for 3-4 years would be the big $ move in FA

Figure out a package that brings both Arozarena AND Parades. If this means you have to give up a top 3 prospect along with Miller and Hancock then do it. If thawork then Gilbert is in play.

Swap a couple of lower tier prospects for outfield depth.

Find a reclamation project starter or two and make them functional #5s.

Find a high leverage bullpen arm or two.

Hope like hell for health, further improvement by Julio and a rebirth for France.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

Soler for 3-4 years would be the big $ move in FA

Figure out a package that brings both Arozarena AND Parades. If this means you have to give up a top 3 prospect along with Miller and Hancock then do it. If thawork then Gilbert is in play.

Swap a couple of lower tier prospects for outfield depth.

Find a reclamation project starter or two and make them functional #5s.

Find a high leverage bullpen arm or two.

Hope like hell for health, further improvement by Julio and a rebirth for France.
    Soler will run about $15 million and Arozarena will probably be $9 million in arb so $24 million may take up most (if not all) of the FA budget if the M's are being as tight with money as I think they are.

If they aren't as tight, maybe they really go for Bellinger to play LF (he can always move to 1B if Ty France stinks) and Tommy Pham as DH for $5 million (plus spelling Bellinger and Canzone in the OF). That would run about $31 million.

I personally favor Soler and Arozarena & Paredes. That would solve LF, 3B, and DH while also increasing INF depth in moving Urias to a utility guy (he hits LHP well). But Arozarena & Paredes would cost at least Gilbert and a top position prospect while I'm not sure the M's FO is willing to trade a top pitcher.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2023
    Mariners the most profitable team in baseball despite being ~18th in payroll last year 😂
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    M's trade for Naylor and then move Ty France and a lottery ticket to the White Sox for Eloy Jimenez? That would upgrade 1B and fill DH for about $24 million but I like Arozarena in LF and Paredes at 3B more.

https://mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/cubs-mariners-pirates-interested-in-josh-naylor.html
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,598
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited December 2023
    given their ballpark and the chronic need for power, there is one guy out their that is a difference maker, and I create a deal pitching deal to get him and then sign him long term. Build the power around Pete Alonzo. Everything else they would do doesn't really matter without a long term power guy to build around. Get it done. Sign a 3rd baseman while you are at it.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

given their ballpark and the chronic need for power, there is one guy out their that is a difference maker, and I create a deal pitching deal to get him and then sign him long term. Build the power around Pete Alonzo. Everything else they would do doesn't really matter without a long term power guy to build around. Get it done. Sign a 3rd baseman while you are at it.

Alonzo would be a one year rental though as I doubt he'd sign an extension before hitting FA.