Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners offseason prediction is in.

chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
They're going to sign Blake Snell and use two of their young SP as trade bait to address the offense. I wouldn't even be shocked to see Gilbert was one of the trades if they signed Snell. Don't want that's but it wouldn't shock me.

That is all. France won't go anywhere nor will Suarez. Teoscar is gone. Whatever they can add via trade plus Snell is what we'll get.

Comments

• Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    gilbert and kirby would be off limits to me. everyone else can fuck off. but this is why im not a GM
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Any odds regarding Ohtani?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Any odds regarding Ohtani?

I don't know but I don't think they're very good. They'll try to low-ball him for $40ish per year when he's going to get $50+. Then they can say they tried.

Snell gives them a chance to sign a SP, possibly for less than market value, and use the excess that creates to address position players via trade. It isn't what I want but given what we know about the Ms, and what Dipoto queefed out of his twat if his, I think it's what they're setting up for
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Well you were correct about the M's letting Teo walk. 1 for 1 so far!

Snell walks a few too many batters for my taste and he turns 31 in less than a month. Would he be willing to accept a 3 or 4 year deal?

But as you mentioned, that would give them clearance to trade Woo or Miller and one of their top OF prospects for a young / controllable bat. I don't know what they think about Canzone internally so they could upgrade corner OF or 1B with a controllable bat.

Personally, I really like Canzone and think he showed enough to start in RF (with Kelenic in LF) and use Dylan Moore to spell him against LHs (Moore hammers LHP). If Canzone struggles, they can always add a bat before the trade deadline.

But getting so little from power positions like 1B and DH can't happen again so trading Woo or Miller and someone like Gabriel Gonzalez or Michael Arroyo would make a lot of sense. Could they go after Pete Alonso?

Adding Snell and Pete Alonso (and maybe Eloy Jimenez at DH) would make the team much better.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I figured it all out as far as position players last night.

Sign Rhys Hoskins FA 1b/DH
    Trade Bryce Miller in some manner to Tampa for Arozarena and Taylor Walls.

Profit
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited November 2023
    OHTANI or bust…
    1. Deep staff, no pressure for quick return to mound
    2. Young core, on the cusp
    3. Star in place…Julio
    4. He lives in Seattle in the off season, which I just found out (Driveline)
    5. Ichiro

*Prayingdooggif
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

OHTANI or bust…
    3. He lives in Seattle in the off season, which I just found out (Driveline)
    4. Ichiro

*Prayingdooggif

All signs would point to them being a lead candidate. The only indicator against it is history.

I don't think I'd do the 12 years, with opt outs every other year, route that I saw suggested. 10 years seems unavoidable but I'd also want that front weighted with incentives at the back end. No opt out for five years.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

OHTANI or bust…
    4. Ichiro

*Prayingdooggif

All signs would point to them being a lead candidate. The only indicator against it is history.

I don't think I'd do the 12 years, with opt outs every other year, route that I saw suggested. 10 years seems unavoidable but I'd also want that front weighted with incentives at the back end. No opt out for five years.
    You plagiarized my shit…no opt-out for 5, and he will get it, somewhere. Why not here? In five years I may be dead…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

OHTANI or bust…
    4. Ichiro

*Prayingdooggif

You plagiarized my shit…no opt-out for 5, and he will get it, somewhere. Why not here? In five years I may be dead…
    Lol did you post similar contract terms? I don't remember but that's probably how it got in my head.

Couldn't agree more. I'm in the range now where five years could literally be a lifetime. Fuck what happens after that.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

OHTANI or bust…
    4. Ichiro

*Prayingdooggif

Lol did you post similar contract terms? I don't remember but that's probably how it got in my head.

Couldn't agree more. I'm in the range now where five years could literally be a lifetime. Fuck what happens after that.
    I didn’t post that, but that was my thinking…well played
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I just don't see this ownership group concentrating their spending power on 1 player, especially when they likely think they are two bats away.

They would trade for a controllable bat (at corner OF or 1B), sign Hopkins at DH for about $12-$14 million to entice him to Seattle, and then sign Snell for $24 million per. Heck, they could even go after Josh Hader for $15 or $16 million and not be much more than what just Ohtani would cost by himself.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,580
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited November 2023
    NY is trying to dump salary and I've read that Alonzo is available... so part with a reasonable package and Sign Pete Alonzo longer term... and then go to Ohtani, offer to pay him 50 mil and say we are serious about winning.. keep your pitching and add one more secondary bat and you are there.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

NY is trying to dump salary and I've read that Alonzo is available... so part with a reasonable package and Sign Pete Alonzo longer term... and then go to Ohtani, offer to pay him 50 mil and say we are serious about winning.. keep your pitching and add one more secondary bat and you are there.

Or they trade for Alonso and sign Lourdes Gurriel. Then they trade for Eloy Jimenez or sign Rhys Hopkins for DH.

Would Hancock and Gabby Gonzalez plus a lottery ticket work for Alonso though?
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,580
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The Mariners need guys that hit the ball out no matter what the dimensions of the stadium, Alonzo is a generational long ball hitter, a rare opportunity.
  • Options
    Whether intentional or not (the jury is out for me), 54% raised the bar. They have an opportunity to change the perception of the organization, with players and fans, right NOW. It will take a massive statement to accomplish it. They've been raking cash for years, it is time to spend it. Ohtani / Alonso checks the boxes...

The Rangers had the bats, bought the pitching and won the Series...M's have the arms, time to buy some bats. Period.

Breaking News: Steve Phillips just said on MLB Network that the race for Ohtani: Astros, Rangers, M's...If that doesn't turn the heat up, nothing will.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I have to think that the Dodgers are still in it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Whether intentional or not (the jury is out for me), 54% raised the bar. They have an opportunity to change the perception of the organization, with players and fans, right NOW. It will take a massive statement to accomplish it. They've been raking cash for years, it is time to spend it. Ohtani / Alonso checks the boxes...

The Rangers had the bats, bought the pitching and won the Series...M's have the arms, time to buy some bats. Period.

Breaking News: Steve Phillips just said on MLB Network that the race for Ohtani: Astros, Rangers, M's...If that doesn't turn the heat up, nothing will.

When I heard that Dipoto refuses to comment on Ohtani now I took it as a good sign.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

If they sign him, it better be for 70MM+, and could very well be that. God knows they can afford it, because they want to win…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

HFNY said:

If they sign him, it better be for 70MM+, and could very well be that. God knows they can afford it, because they want to win…
    I guess it's kind of a loser attitude. Maybe not, but my thought was that if he goes to a division rival then Seattle had better make it hurt, a lot. Bid that fucker up. If you accidentally get him to sign then oh well. Things could be worse.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

OHTANI or bust…
    3. Star in place…Julio
    4. He lives in Seattle in the off season, which I just found out (Driveline)
    5. Ichiro

*Prayingdooggif

Ohtani lives in seattle in the offseason?