Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners offseason prediction is in.

Comments

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,264
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Does anyone actually expect the Mariners to land a big fish bat?

I don’t trust that they will, and be pleasantly surprised if they do…
  • Options
    I really hope Dipoto has a grand master plan, smoke and mirrors, 4d chess, sandbagging,..ANYTHING other than letting good players walk to dump strikeouts/salary, while trading a good young player starting to figure it out, for “prospects”…

I will not be surprised to see Kelenic in the World Series next year, and in the future.

I will now yield the floor to the great philosopher Joaquin “The Dog” Andujar…

“There is one word in America that says it all…You never know”…
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,644
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I really hope Dipoto has a grand master plan, smoke and mirrors, 4d chess, sandbagging,..ANYTHING other than letting good players walk to dump strikeouts/salary, while trading a good young player starting to figure it out, for “prospects”…

I will not be surprised to see Kelenic in the World Series next year, and in the future.

I will now yield the floor to the great philosopher Joaquin “The Dog” Andujar…

“There is one word in America that says it all…You never know”…

If they make some aggressive moves and tack on salary now I'll be fine. I liked Kelenic's potential and fully expect him to go be an all star in Atlanta. I am happy to see them out from under those contracts though. If it took Kelenic to make that happen, and they use the extra cushion to get aggressive, then I'm fine with it.

I don't know what I'll do if they proceed to mimic last offseason. I know I'll at least drop root sports. That's about all the leverage I have.
  • Options
    OreDawgOreDawg Member Posts: 589
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    edited December 2023
    “If they make some aggressive moves and tack on salary now I'll be fine.”

They won’t
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,527
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I'm really losing faith in the front office because Dipoto / Hollander signed Marco the pricey extension and also gave Evan White $24 million before he did anything so now they trade Kelenic away for almost nothing to get salary relief from their mistakes?

I guess Phillips helps add to a relative dearth of promising arms in the lower minors and fangraphs has a surprisingly decent projection for Kowar in 2024 but still.

If I had to speculate, I don't see the M's rolling out Canzano and Marlowe in the corner spots so they'll add a veteran OF like Gurriel or trade for a very good controllable bat. I still think Eloy Jimenez of the White Sox would be a good fit at DH.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    It's the Mariners. Those losers aren't doing shit in free agency.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

It's the Mariners. Those losers aren't doing shit in free agency.

Yes, until they do and prove that Stanton isn't a cheap ass, they won't.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    The word is that ownership sees tv revenue plummeting due to Root (which they have a 70% stake in) being moved by Comcast to their premier subscription tier. They will likely lose a lot of viewers.

ATBS, I heard that the M's turned the biggest profit of all MLB teams last year while having the 18th highest payroll. Cheap fucks. One would think that the loser owner would take half as much profit for a World Series.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Guysms, c'mon. Stanton is about to shock the world, cough up for Shohei, Yamamoto, and Bellinger then take on a $30 mil rental in Juan Soto. Then won't you all feel foolish?
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    Underwhelmed about trading Kelenic and Marco.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

The word is that ownership sees tv revenue plummeting due to Root (which they have a 70% stake in) being moved by Comcast to their premier subscription tier. They will likely lose a lot of viewers.

ATBS, I heard that the M's turned the biggest profit of all MLB teams last year while having the 18th highest payroll. Cheap fucks. One would think that the loser owner would take half as much profit for a World Series.

Agreed. They are worried about making $30 million less profit but if they don't invest in the team and / or they suck to start the season, a ton of people won't buy the $18.50 subscription or will cancel it after April.

They are being penny wise but pound foolish and hoping Dipto / Hollander can pull rabbits out of their hat by plugging holes in the lineup without trading pitching. Maybe a Rule 5 guy will help at 3B / DH / OF but those usually don't pan out.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Agreed. They are worried about making $30 million less profit but if they don't invest in the team and / or they suck to start the season, a ton of people won't buy the $18.50 subscription or will cancel it after April.

They are being penny wise but pound foolish and hoping Dipto / Hollander can pull rabbits out of their hat by plugging holes in the lineup without trading pitching. Maybe a Rule 5 guy will help at 3B / DH / OF but those usually don't pan out.
    This^^^
    I watch baseball every day that I can. I didn't watch the M's for 5 years, because of cable packages / streaming services, and because they sucked. When they started to get better, I went with Fubo specifically to watch the M's, and PAC 12 Networks (who?)...

IF they don't sign some fucking guys, I'm done with 'em. I get MLB TV, and I will just watch good baseball...

If they sign Ohtani, Soto or Bellinger, they can get away with the "fill in" guys, maybe. Without a big signing, rolling out a bunch young, unproven, "controllable" stiffs (Haggerty / Ford DH, anyone?) will be the final nail in the coffin for me...Get some combination of a fucking LEGIT DH, a 3B that is not a "utility" guy, and a proven corner outfield bat, or GTFO...

I think this is ALL on Stanton / ownership. Dipoto and Servais know what's up, and have made some not-so-thinly-veiled comments, paired with Cal's blast, intending to put pressure on ownership, IMO...If they continue to nickel-and-dime, they won't be getting mine...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How could Stanton fail to see what this is costing them? Is he really naive enough to think fans will support an 85 win team that sneaks into the playoffs once during the 6 year run of the amazing core Dipoto put together?

Bandwagon fans have already lost interest. Core fans, the ones who act like us here, follow podcasts, follow minors players, buy merchandise, and go to games while they're rebuilding, have one foot out the door. They will see sub 10k butts in the seats this year. They will have a lot more grumbling and eventually some disinterest from the core guys. Cal, Gilbert and Kirby will start looking toward the exits. Don't be surprised if Julio does too and asks for a trade within a couple of years. He isn't sticking around to play for third place.

That's all worst case scenario. They could stem this right fucking now by committing a measly $180 million. Hell it could be done for $160 with some good moves.

I've been trying to resist ranting but you bastards keep refreshing this thread and I get notifications.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Stanton should just sell the team. If he stretched to buy the M's and can't handle making $10 million in profit instead of $40 to $80 million, he will start destroying the value of the franchise as ticket sales and ad revenue plummet.

Gurriel makes the most sense to me as a RH bat in the OF and he only just turned 30 so maybe a 3 year deal could get it done. Bellinger would cost more and he'd want a 5 or 6 year deal. https://mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/jerry-dipoto-discusses-mariners-offseason-plans-2.html
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    its time to fold the franchise and leave seattle. its over
  • Options
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

How could Stanton fail to see what this is costing them? Is he really naive enough to think fans will support an 85 win team that sneaks into the playoffs once during the 6 year run of the amazing core Dipoto put together?

Bandwagon fans have already lost interest. Core fans, the ones who act like us here, follow podcasts, follow minors players, buy merchandise, and go to games while they're rebuilding, have one foot out the door. They will see sub 10k butts in the seats this year. They will have a lot more grumbling and eventually some disinterest from the core guys. Cal, Gilbert and Kirby will start looking toward the exits. Don't be surprised if Julio does too and asks for a trade within a couple of years. He isn't sticking around to play for third place.

That's all worst case scenario. They could stem this right fucking now by committing a measly $180 million. Hell it could be done for $160 with some good moves.

I've been trying to resist ranting but you bastards keep refreshing this thread and I get notifications.

To echo Chuck here, the dirty laundry is starting to be aired publicly with some of the quotes from Servais the other day. Players are going to view Seattle as a dumpster fire org if they aren't careful. Agents are already steering clients away, per some of the national mlb media guys like Morosi (sp?).
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You can't get worse ownership than the Mariners have ...

I can't wait to see the remainder of the offseason because I think it will tell you a couple of things ...

Option 1:

They half-ass their way around some moves and try to sell the poo poo platter as a sign that they are competing, the team underperforms for obvious reasons, and next offseason will be an absolute shit show

Option 2:

They largely don't make any material moves this year as Stanton goes out of his way to prioritize profits and this season becomes a full referendum on him selling the team ... with a payroll that doesn't have a number of material long-term commitments he likely could fast track a sale if he's willing to cash out

This offseason in so many ways has been a tipping point in actually drawing the ire of the casual Mariner fan ...

Many of us have seen this from the organization for decades and invest the bare minimum of time, energy, and money ... others are getting on board.

I'm rooting like hell for Kelenic to reach his potential because that move should have NEVER happened ... even the contracts that they moved out were effectively sunk costs and not bad numbers to the point that real ownership wouldn't have figured it out. Everything they've done this offseason has been about profits when nobody from a hitting standpoint wants to come to Seattle.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    i feel bad for julio. where were his people at to warn him about signing a long term deal with seattle? does no one love him?

get ready to be the only star on your team for the next decade dude.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

You can't get worse ownership than the Mariners have ...

I can't wait to see the remainder of the offseason because I think it will tell you a couple of things ...

Option 1:

They half-ass their way around some moves and try to sell the poo poo platter as a sign that they are competing, the team underperforms for obvious reasons, and next offseason will be an absolute shit show

Option 2:

They largely don't make any material moves this year as Stanton goes out of his way to prioritize profits and this season becomes a full referendum on him selling the team ... with a payroll that doesn't have a number of material long-term commitments he likely could fast track a sale if he's willing to cash out

This offseason in so many ways has been a tipping point in actually drawing the ire of the casual Mariner fan ...

Many of us have seen this from the organization for decades and invest the bare minimum of time, energy, and money ... others are getting on board.

I'm rooting like hell for Kelenic to reach his potential because that move should have NEVER happened ... even the contracts that they moved out were effectively sunk costs and not bad numbers to the point that real ownership wouldn't have figured it out. Everything they've done this offseason has been about profits when nobody from a hitting standpoint wants to come to Seattle.

Yes, it would have been nice to have Marco as a 5th starter in case someone else gets hurt or to deal him, cash, and a mid level prospect to the White Sox for Eloy Jimenez.