Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners offseason prediction is in.

Comments

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    phineas said:

Fishpo31 said:

OHTANI or bust…
    1. Deep staff, no pressure for quick return to mound
    2. Young core, on the cusp
    3. Star in place…Julio
    4. He lives in Seattle in the off season, which I just found out (Driveline)
    5. Ichiro

*Prayingdooggif

Ohtani lives in seattle in the offseason?
    It was mentioned on MLB network, IIRC. Proximity to Driveline…
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Snell should be avoided. He’s very good, but he doesn’t throw many innings, doesn’t pitch deep into games, and led the league in walks.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,442
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's magical season night on MLB Network

10:30 pm Pacific is the 95 season doc

11:30 is the 90 minute Junior doc

I recommend
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    They could always go after the 25 year old Japanese pitcher and then trade Miller, Woo, or Hancock and a good OF prospect for a controllable bat.

Eloy Jimenez would be a great fit as a pure DH.

I'd vote for trading for Juan Soto and Eloy Jimenez. Would SD accept Miller, Kelenic, Gabby Gonzalez, and a lottery ticket INF?

I saw someone on MLB.com float the M's trading Suarez and signing Matt Chapman. That seems farther fetched.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

They could always go after the 25 year old Japanese pitcher and then trade Miller, Woo, or Hancock and a good OF prospect for a controllable bat.

I'd vote for trading for Juan Soto and Eloy Jimenez. Would SD accept Miller, Kelenic, Gabby Gonzalez, and a lottery ticket INF?

I saw someone on MLB.com float the M's trading Suarez and signing Matt Chapman. That seems farther fetched.

No thanks on Chapman for Suarez. I like Suarez better.

No thanks on Soto. I'm not trading a solid starter tied up for 6 years, most of which gets paid for in peanuts, for a one year rental.

I scanned through many of the headlines and a few articles re: the Ms not pursuing Ohtani. I can't find anything substantive. It's a bunch of headlines followed by articles that rephrase the headlines without anything else to back it up. It will probably be true in the end but right now it all looks like click bait from typical click bait sources.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

HFNY said:

No thanks on Soto. I'm not trading a solid starter tied up for 6 years, most of which gets paid for in peanuts, for a one year rental.

I scanned through many of the headlines and a few articles re: the Ms not pursuing Ohtani. I can't find anything substantive. It's a bunch of headlines followed by articles that rephrase the headlines without anything else to back it up. It will probably be true in the end but right now it all looks like click bait from typical click bait sources.
    Ok so Eloy Jimenez at DH would be good and what else would you do (assuming no Ohtani)?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

HFNY said:

Ok so Eloy Jimenez at DH would be good and what else would you do (assuming no Ohtani)?
    Ms needed upgrades on offense and in the bullpen. The easily upgradeable positions offensively are corner OF, 1b, 2b, and DH. It's possible to kill two of those birds with one stone, and they already nabbed a guy who will help upgrade 2b in a platoon or maybe even as a full time player. It's quite possible to accomplish with a couple of mid FA signings (a starter, a reliever, and maybe one of those positions) and a good trade of one of the two rookie starters. Naming names seems futile to me. There are plenty of options and I think the odds of me picking names that Dipoto will end up dealing for are extremely low so I won't bother.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Yeah I like Urias' splits against LHP and maybe he'll bounce back to be above average against RHP.

I'd love to know what they think internally about Tyler Locklear and if they think he can play 3B in 2025.

Besides Eloy Jimenez, another fit could be Anthony Santander. He could play RF and then Canzone and Kelenic could battle for LF (or they have Canzone play some 1B in case Ty doesn't hit very well again).

Jimenez would make more sense since he is controllable and the White Sox are sellers.

What would be really crazy is if the M's signed Yamamoto and then dealt one of their other younger arms for a great hitter.
  • Options
    Gino to the Dbacks for an arm and backup catcher…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Gino to the Dbacks for an arm and backup catcher…

Seems like a bit of a light return unless they can unlock that reliever's potential.

The backup catcher is the part that bugs me. Now they've acquired two of them. I wanted Murphy re-signed and I don't see this as a positive sign that's happening.
  • Options
    They are apparently attempting to reduce strikeouts, and they have…everybody is running with “Dip is going after Chapman”, but he is a mild upgrade, if they can even sign him. They now have to replace 48 jacks and 190 RBI…tick, tick…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

They are apparently attempting to reduce strikeouts, and they have…everybody is running with “Dip is going after Chapman”, but he is a mild upgrade, if they can even sign him. They now have to replace 48 jacks and 190 RBI…tick, tick…

48 is about how many Shohei should hit, right?

They cleared some payroll and some strikeouts. Now go get someone who can hit for fucks sake.

No thanks on Chapman. He's overrated and is about to get overpayed. Not even an upgrade.

If they trade for Parades from Tampa I'll cheer up. I know a dead pull, RH hitter doesn't fit the narrative around T Mobile Park, but I don't think it's much of an issue. The power alleys and center are where it's tough to clear the wall, not straight away left field.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Paredes would be great and probably a long-term fit.

How do people feel about Ty France and was he hurt more often than anyone let on? Fangraphs has his bouncing back but his AVG, OBP, and SLG have declined for 3 straight seasons.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

How do people feel about Ty France and was he hurt more often than anyone let on? Fangraphs has his bouncing back but his AVG, OBP, and SLG have declined for 3 straight seasons.

I want them to hang on to France but aquire a solid DH who can play 1b as well in case France sucks again. It could be that he just needs more days off though.
  • Options
    chuck said:

HFNY said:

I want them to hang on to France but aquire a solid DH who can play 1b as well in case France sucks again. It could be that he just needs more days off though.
    France is a grinder, and while you need grinders, they get banged up and won’t tap out, which is what France did, IMO. He fits a role, and that role for me is a 6-7 hole bat, .270-.280 with some pop. When healthy, he can do it. His swing got really fucked up, post injuries. He had to start cheating to catch up to the FB, and the pitchers wore him out.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

HFNY said:

France is a grinder, and while you need grinders, they get banged up and won’t tap out, which is what France did, IMO. He fits a role, and that role for me is a 6-7 hole bat, .270-.280 with some pop. When healthy, he can do it. His swing got really fucked up, post injuries. He had to start cheating to catch up to the FB, and the pitchers wore him out.
    I thought it was something way more complicated than a loss of bat speed. I felt like that was a symptom of a larger issue.

If that started the tailspin it would make sense though. He did seem to hit a lot of warning track balls.

He's young and there's no reason he shouldn't get it back. He just can't be counted on as a top third of the order bat like I thought he'd be. If they can rest and maybe give him some DH days WHILE adding significant power to the lineup I completely agree. He can carry the offense at times when hot and he's cheap.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

HFNY said:

I thought it was something way more complicated than a loss of bat speed. I felt like that was a symptom of a larger issue.

If that started the tailspin it would make sense though. He did seem to hit a lot of warning track balls.

He's young and there's no reason he shouldn't get it back. He just can't be counted on as a top third of the order bat like I thought he'd be. If they can rest and maybe give him some DH days WHILE adding significant power to the lineup I completely agree. He can carry the offense at times when hot and he's cheap.
    Good call on the 6 or 7 spot in the lineup and I'm thinking the wrist injury he had in late May messed him up more and longer than he let on.

Here's a crazy idea: the Mariners dealt Suarez away to dump salary because they are going to trade for Manny Machado. Dipoto and the SD GM have done multiple deals and San Diego is looking to shed payroll in a big way. They would obviously start with Soto but maybe they think they need to do a rebuild.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Or the M's sign Candelario and Gurriel and then trade for a DH who can also play a little 1B.

Then they have Kelenic and Canzone battle it out for RF. I would be nice if Canzone could play a little 1B.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,527
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Does anyone actually expect the Mariners to land a big fish bat?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Does anyone actually expect the Mariners to land a big fish bat?

Expect them to? Yes.

Believe it when I see it? Yes.