Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Supreme Court does something it should have done 40 years ago

Comments

• HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,486
    hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Thomas got into Holy Cross and Yale as a result of affirmative action. He has a lot of psychological baggage connected with that. He doesn't owe it to anyone to keep an unconstitutional practice in place even if he benefitted from it.

But as the Harlan Crowe episode shows, he is also dishonest and eager to curry favor. His dishonesty is long-standing: https://greensboro.com/thomas-sister-is-no-welfare-queen/article_b0ec5042-0ac7-583b-94df-4771404be433.html

Is this actually true?

I'm going to need Oregon bros to confirm myself.
    This is what the President of Holy Cross wrote recently:

During the height of the civil rights movement, at a time when racial integration was sparking controversy on many campuses, College of the Holy Cross President the Rev. John Brooks drove around the country to personally recruit Black high school students to the college’s all-male, primarily white campus in Worcester. The 20 young men he recruited have become an illustrious group, including business leaders, a Pulitzer Prize winner, a Super Bowl champion, and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, class of 1971.

Thomas, once the beneficiary of the most overt example of race-based admissions I can imagine, will probably be among the Supreme Court’s majority in the next few weeks when it is expected to strike down the use of affirmative action in college admissions.

That sounds pretty sinister. Please keep crying and projecting more about this.
    CT is pretty scarred by getting opportunities in part because of his race. Every professional job he's had and both his higher educational opportunities all came in part because of it. He knows it and resents it. He wants to have deserved his breaks. I find it interesting; if you don't, please remember that your participation here is voluntary.
    Lol. This is exactly the kind of unhinged screed that I was talking about earlier. If only he had followed along with whatever his white saviors had told him, you'd be writing a hagiography instead.
    unhinged

sure
    Just like all your takes. As for 'participation' here, you can fuck off right now and no one will miss you.
    Stalin and I both know this place is ded without me.
  • WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 15,120 Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Thomas got into Holy Cross and Yale as a result of affirmative action. He has a lot of psychological baggage connected with that. He doesn't owe it to anyone to keep an unconstitutional practice in place even if he benefitted from it.

But as the Harlan Crowe episode shows, he is also dishonest and eager to curry favor. His dishonesty is long-standing: https://greensboro.com/thomas-sister-is-no-welfare-queen/article_b0ec5042-0ac7-583b-94df-4771404be433.html

Is this actually true?

During the height of the civil rights movement, at a time when racial integration was sparking controversy on many campuses, College of the Holy Cross President the Rev. John Brooks drove around the country to personally recruit Black high school students to the college’s all-male, primarily white campus in Worcester. The 20 young men he recruited have become an illustrious group, including business leaders, a Pulitzer Prize winner, a Super Bowl champion, and Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, class of 1971.

Thomas, once the beneficiary of the most overt example of race-based admissions I can imagine, will probably be among the Supreme Court’s majority in the next few weeks when it is expected to strike down the use of affirmative action in college admissions.

CT is pretty scarred by getting opportunities in part because of his race. Every professional job he's had and both his higher educational opportunities all came in part because of it. He knows it and resents it. He wants to have deserved his breaks. I find it interesting; if you don't, please remember that your participation here is voluntary.
    Lol. This is exactly the kind of unhinged screed that I was talking about earlier. If only he had followed along with whatever his white saviors had told him, you'd be writing a hagiography instead.
    unhinged

sure
    Just like all your takes. As for 'participation' here, you can fuck off right now and no one will miss you.
    Every village needs an idiot. Congrats. Keep out performing expectations and keep Stalin laughing, not with you, however.
  • HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,486

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

Sledog said:

The insanity is over? I'm sure the lefty loons running the colleges are going to ignore this ruling like a Dazzler post.
    Imagine the Babylon Bee getting the position of most Democrats wrong.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2019/02/25/most-americans-say-colleges-should-not-consider-race-or-ethnicity-in-admissions/

So you're saying that the people they elected don't give a fuck what they think?
    I read part of Jackson's dissent. It was third grade logic. It was stupefying.
    It's not really a legal argument, in my opinion. Accepting everything she said at face value, the question remains: how can what these schools are doing be squared with Equal Protection? I don't see her grappling with that at all.
  • hardhathardhat Member Posts: 8,343
    HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Is this actually true?

unhinged

sure
    Your dumbest take might be your last take! Leave for a month. You think @DerekJohnson sends you an email begging you to come back?
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,070

hardhat said:

hardhat said:
    Why are we running cover for this guy? Can't we have a good decision and also not have to twist ourselves into a pretzel about someone in the majority. Two things:

Lots of white people grew up in abject poverty outside of Savannah with no running water; and

The odds of AA not having played a role in CT's ascension are pretty low.

The whole point of this decision is, or should be, that physiological fact of your race/ethnicity is not the defining characteristic of who you are. Evidence of overcoming struggle and burden is relevant, and it turns out that white people experience those things as well. GMAFB. Yale LS is a single-digit admit and from an odds standpoint the least likely place you'll get into among all American law schools. Holy Cross isn't exactly WSU either. And they're both private schools and thus pretty expensive. Nobody knows for sure, but the odds are heavy that Clarence Thomas had a helping hand along the way due at least in part to his race. And this demonstrates another negative about AA: the loss of the benefit of the doubt.
    Zaid isn't the type of guy who runs cover for Clarence Thomas. The hatred that Thomas and guys like Thomas Sowell get from some on the left is what he's calling out. It's as if they're 'ungrateful' for the white saviors those same lefties think themselves to be. How dare they?
    At some point, a person can overcome the stigma of doubt. Thomas clearly has. Kentanji Brown Jackson never will. Neither did Sandra Day O'Connor. In fact, today any degree, regardless of race, from an Ivy League university would leave me with a huge stigma of doubt. In the Transhauser Bush fiasco, the new marketing director has a Wharton MBA and the CEO has a Harvard MBA. Apparently understanding your product and your market was not in the curriculum, like internal controls was missing from the dazzler's mythical MBA program.
    It's fun and appealing to presume that someone can overcome the stigma of doubt if they act, speak and behave as we wish. However, that's not how it works. You either got a break getting into and financing school, or you didn't. Most clear-thinking people assume that POC got the break and thus are AA babies. Nobody ever said they'll all prove to be fuck-ups later on. Just that they were gift-wrapped a chance denied others solely because of the accident of their race/ethnicity.

Charles Murray's work adds about a million tons of burden to the issue as well. Ask Bob.
    Not sure what you are saying. I don't respect Thomas as a justice because he does what I want, I respect him because he is a Constitutional scholar and despite the personal blowback for his unpopular decisions with the so-called US elite, as a man of character he has remained steadfast as a supporter of the Constitution. Now compare that with Sandra Day O'Connor or John Roberts, a spineless sack of a man and possibly being blackmailed. When you read a Thomas opinion you don't get a recital of how the Euros feel about things, or the use of emanations and penumbras to create super rights out of pure cloth.
    Yes, you are. IDC if you respect him, or why. I"ve already covered all that anyway. This is an AA discussion, not a deviation into all the things you care about and like. The "stigma of doubt" has nothing to do with what happens later or can be overcome by doing things that turn out to make you happy. The stigma is that you got there through means other than merit and stole a more deserving person's spot, which is dishonorable on its face, and casts a shadow over all that follows from it because of the taint on how you got your start.

In hindsight, he was the more deserving person and he stole no ones spot. You seem to denigrate a lifetime of character and intellectual achievement. You can have John Roberts.
    JFC, it's like you can't or don't want to get through the most basic levels of reasoning. I'm not denigrating anybody, so put your delicate feelings away and grab your intellectual balls duck! And for Fuck's sake, read. the. post. Or just bow out with some shred of dignity. @haie is right about you guys.

In highsight? What are you magic or something? You have no idea of that at all and are now talking straight out of your butt hole. You don't know he was the most deserving, and you don't know that he didn't steal someone's spot. In fact, you even said the opposite (I'm obviously opposed to race based admissions and don't doubt that Thomas was an AA admit. )

Are you keeping track of where we are here? This isn't revisionist history day Puddles. I'm sure quite a number of recipients of AA have done quite well with their chance; I know several of them personally. If you understand the issue, however, which you don't seem to very well, the ends don't justify the means here. The issue here is the practice of AA in the first instance. THAT is what the case is about. The majority didn't say, "but if it turns out the AA baby is a good guy, then retroactively it's ok." I get it: you want to save your favorite black jurist from the scorn. Sorry ese; it don't work that way in this barrio. You either have a consistent philosophy or you just cherry pick your way through everything.

So, let me get this straight: AA ok for me, but not for thee. That about sum up your philosophy?
    Uh, no. I pointed out that your view of Thomas's AA admit is the original sin that can't be redeemed. Redemption plays a big part in historical Western and Christian thought. When the people wanted to stone the prostitute, the Pharisees and any wannabe Muslim's would have said go for it and by the way do you have spare rocks. Jesus said something else and Christianity is based on redemption. I like my view of Thomas a lot more than yours coug.

Honestly, I don't know what the fuck you are talking about now, and candidly neither do you. And I will take a lesson on the application of biblical teachings to modern day facts from a great many people, but not from you Duck. You are a supporter of murder of innocent persons "if the state says so", so I'm basically reading the posts of a man who is going to burn. in. hell for eternity. You have forfeited the moral high ground on practically everything.

And your attempt to rescue Thomas from the guilt of having partaken in AA was a miserable failure. Not your best work.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,335 Founders Club
    HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Is this actually true?

unhinged

sure
    You should prove your theory.

We must know.

Right away.

hardhat said:

hardhat said:
    Why are we running cover for this guy? Can't we have a good decision and also not have to twist ourselves into a pretzel about someone in the majority. Two things:

Lots of white people grew up in abject poverty outside of Savannah with no running water; and

The odds of AA not having played a role in CT's ascension are pretty low.

The whole point of this decision is, or should be, that physiological fact of your race/ethnicity is not the defining characteristic of who you are. Evidence of overcoming struggle and burden is relevant, and it turns out that white people experience those things as well. GMAFB. Yale LS is a single-digit admit and from an odds standpoint the least likely place you'll get into among all American law schools. Holy Cross isn't exactly WSU either. And they're both private schools and thus pretty expensive. Nobody knows for sure, but the odds are heavy that Clarence Thomas had a helping hand along the way due at least in part to his race. And this demonstrates another negative about AA: the loss of the benefit of the doubt.
    Zaid isn't the type of guy who runs cover for Clarence Thomas. The hatred that Thomas and guys like Thomas Sowell get from some on the left is what he's calling out. It's as if they're 'ungrateful' for the white saviors those same lefties think themselves to be. How dare they?
    At some point, a person can overcome the stigma of doubt. Thomas clearly has. Kentanji Brown Jackson never will. Neither did Sandra Day O'Connor. In fact, today any degree, regardless of race, from an Ivy League university would leave me with a huge stigma of doubt. In the Transhauser Bush fiasco, the new marketing director has a Wharton MBA and the CEO has a Harvard MBA. Apparently understanding your product and your market was not in the curriculum, like internal controls was missing from the dazzler's mythical MBA program.
    It's fun and appealing to presume that someone can overcome the stigma of doubt if they act, speak and behave as we wish. However, that's not how it works. You either got a break getting into and financing school, or you didn't. Most clear-thinking people assume that POC got the break and thus are AA babies. Nobody ever said they'll all prove to be fuck-ups later on. Just that they were gift-wrapped a chance denied others solely because of the accident of their race/ethnicity.

Charles Murray's work adds about a million tons of burden to the issue as well. Ask Bob.
    Not sure what you are saying. I don't respect Thomas as a justice because he does what I want, I respect him because he is a Constitutional scholar and despite the personal blowback for his unpopular decisions with the so-called US elite, as a man of character he has remained steadfast as a supporter of the Constitution. Now compare that with Sandra Day O'Connor or John Roberts, a spineless sack of a man and possibly being blackmailed. When you read a Thomas opinion you don't get a recital of how the Euros feel about things, or the use of emanations and penumbras to create super rights out of pure cloth.
    Yes, you are. IDC if you respect him, or why. I"ve already covered all that anyway. This is an AA discussion, not a deviation into all the things you care about and like. The "stigma of doubt" has nothing to do with what happens later or can be overcome by doing things that turn out to make you happy. The stigma is that you got there through means other than merit and stole a more deserving person's spot, which is dishonorable on its face, and casts a shadow over all that follows from it because of the taint on how you got your start.

In hindsight, he was the more deserving person and he stole no ones spot. You seem to denigrate a lifetime of character and intellectual achievement. You can have John Roberts.
    JFC, it's like you can't or don't want to get through the most basic levels of reasoning. I'm not denigrating anybody, so put your delicate feelings away and grab your intellectual balls duck! And for Fuck's sake, read. the. post. Or just bow out with some shred of dignity. @haie is right about you guys.

In highsight? What are you magic or something? You have no idea of that at all and are now talking straight out of your butt hole. You don't know he was the most deserving, and you don't know that he didn't steal someone's spot. In fact, you even said the opposite (I'm obviously opposed to race based admissions and don't doubt that Thomas was an AA admit. )

Are you keeping track of where we are here? This isn't revisionist history day Puddles. I'm sure quite a number of recipients of AA have done quite well with their chance; I know several of them personally. If you understand the issue, however, which you don't seem to very well, the ends don't justify the means here. The issue here is the practice of AA in the first instance. THAT is what the case is about. The majority didn't say, "but if it turns out the AA baby is a good guy, then retroactively it's ok." I get it: you want to save your favorite black jurist from the scorn. Sorry ese; it don't work that way in this barrio. You either have a consistent philosophy or you just cherry pick your way through everything.

So, let me get this straight: AA ok for me, but not for thee. That about sum up your philosophy?
    Uh, no. I pointed out that your view of Thomas's AA admit is the original sin that can't be redeemed. Redemption plays a big part in historical Western and Christian thought. When the people wanted to stone the prostitute, the Pharisees and any wannabe Muslim's would have said go for it and by the way do you have spare rocks. Jesus said something else and Christianity is based on redemption. I like my view of Thomas a lot more than yours coug.

Honestly, I don't know what the fuck you are talking about now, and candidly neither do you. And I will take a lesson on the application of biblical teachings to modern day facts from a great many people, but not from you Duck. You are a supporter of murder of innocent persons "if the state says so", so I'm basically reading the posts of a man who is going to burn. in. hell for eternity. You have forfeited the moral high ground on practically everything.

And your attempt to rescue Thomas from the guilt of having partaken in AA was a miserable failure. Not your best work.
    I'm clearly saying that you think Thomas is guilty of the original sin of being an AA admit and that this sin can not be redeemed. As I said, I like my view of redemption and you don't. Seems pretty clear to me.
    edited July 2023
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,794 Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

hardhat said:

HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Is this actually true?

unhinged

sure
    M'eh. 46 and PGOS have stepped up quite nicely.

Nobody is irreplaceable.

Hi Soledad! Did you know that this will result in MOAR Asian Americans getting admitted?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,493 Standard Supporter
    hardhat said:

Hi Soledad! Did you know that this will result in MOAR Asian Americans getting admitted?
    I think she's keenly aware, and that was the poont.
    hardhat said:

Someone should tell Soledad about the Chinese Exclusion Act and how Chinese Americans fought to overturn it 60 years before MLK came on the scene.

Civil rights history. The more you know.

hardhat said:

Someone should tell Soledad about the Chinese Exclusion Act and how Chinese Americans fought to overturn it 60 years before MLK came on the scene.

The Japanese Americans also had issues. They were fixed when FDR locked them up during World War II.
    edited July 2023

hardhat said:

Jemele Hill running her racist, historically inaccurate grift too.

• 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    edited July 2023
    Swaye said:

hardhat said:
    Nothing beats the quiet part out loud. Racist Dems ALWAYS deliver. Mello, who I don't believe is racist, is sure quick to point out perceived racism, which is weird for a guy who voted for a racist. All of this is deeply confusing for an avowed centrist.
    E. Marsh is apparently a bot account created to foment outrage, according to radio host Greg Boulden.

It is located in Belgium, he’s working on providing info on who is paying for it.

Prepared to be shocked when it’s determined the DIMS are behind it.

Twitter has suspended the account. Elon strikes again.
    Common thread I saw this July 4th weekend from the MSM, discriminating based on race is "good" and ignoring the Constitution and overturning precedent is bad. So, we had racial discrimination based on race from our nation's founding in 1789 until the Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954 which said that the you couldn't discriminate base on race and in 1963 we got MLK's "I have a dream" speech. But now it's not the content of your character that is important but the color of your skin. If you want equal opportunity rather than racial quotas, you ain't black, your a white supremacist.

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,467 Standard Supporter
    Every race had issues! Every single one! Including half of my family.

Sledog said:

Every race had issues! Every single one! Including half of my family.

Yeah, the assumption seems to be that white Americans are all living on Rockefeller money and that hard work and discipline had nothing to do with their life style. My father was the first in his family line to go to college and back then, college was affordable if you wanted to work hard, which he did. College was pretty much English, History, Economics, Business and the STEM classes. My wife was the first in her family line to go to college and back in the 1970's my first quarter tuition was a $169. Today, for every tenured college professor in the core classes there are multiple administrators who don't teach a damn thing and tuition is now $5,300 per quarter. And white European Americans are near the bottom for per capita income if you start dicing up the racial composition.