Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Race Bannon's OFFICIAL Golf Talk 2023-2024 Thread

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,903
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Had a good chat on Friday with my lesbo, ex D 1 golfer neighbor about PGA vs Liv. I conceded the point that maybe some positives will result from another format challenging PGA monopoly. But I remained unyielding in my loathing of @PurpleBaze paying the bills.

@Tequilla my neighbor shot 78 at Tetherow on a bad day the round I played with her.

I hate how they're trying to appeal to the new age golfers .. the douche bags who blare music from their carts and generally make noise and bring the NASCAR element to public golf courses.

I said NASCAR but there's a whole other crowd out there now too...kind of a hipster/woke douchebag element that's opposite yet effectively identical to the NASCAR crowd when it comes to their effect on the golf course atmosphere. They also blare their music and say things like "how about if you do you and I do me?" A little hipster fag said that to my vary large, very aggressive brother last summer on our home course and it was two of his steps away from getting really ugly. He would have pummeled all three of these dudes without breaking a sweat, but fortunately the two buddies of the guy who said that intervened and lowered the tension by agreeing to stop.

Stop what, you ask? They were sitting 50' away from the first tee, on the edge of the parking lot, playing guitars and singing. Loudly. Weird as fuck, but I bet they don't do it again.

Anyways, I partially blame the LIV tour for some of this even though it started before them. They're perpetuating and even encouraging it.
    Golf, for better or worse, appeals to a lot of douche canoe bros.

I definitely don't like music on the course so @Tequilla if we play this summer, I don't wanna hear no @chuck Mangione coming from your cart.

I don't even like cigars when I'm golfing. Too distracting. It's beer or BM's and that's it.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,322
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When I used to golf on the regular we just liked to smoke weed. Other than that the course is a cathedral. No music or riff raff
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

When I used to golf on the regular we just liked to smoke weed. Other than that the course is a cathedral. No music or riff raff

I've gone back and forth on the weed smoking. I want to but I don't play well when I do. Most days it's not worth the aggravation, but it's great on the right day.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Had a good chat on Friday with my lesbo, ex D 1 golfer neighbor about PGA vs Liv. I conceded the point that maybe some positives will result from another format challenging PGA monopoly. But I remained unyielding in my loathing of @PurpleBaze paying the bills.

@Tequilla my neighbor shot 78 at Tetherow on a bad day the round I played with her.

I'm thinking that I may be trying to head down to the Bend area in early May ... perhaps we need to get a 4-some together
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I'm thinking that I may be trying to head down to the Bend area in early May ... perhaps we need to get a 4-some together
    May is busy, but if there is any way on earth that I can escape and drive down for that then I will.
  • Options
    chuck said:

I kinda like having some music playing at the tee box. Beats everyone talking in their fake Jim Nantz whisper voices.

My stance is that everyone should have a choice on the music. Either keep it quiet enough that other groups can't hear it, or wear headphones. People who don't like it shouldn't have to hear it when there are other ways. Most of these people either think they're being cool by sharing their tunes with everyone else (the hipsters) or are doing it defiantly because they know it's irritating to most of the other golfers out there (NASCAR crowd).
    I get the idea of trying to pick someone that everybody in your group wants to listen to ...

I don't get the stance of music on the course being a negative (unless we're talking about competitive rounds) ... 98% of rounds out there are designed for fun, relaxation, and enjoyment

Personally, I really enjoy listening to yacht rock on the course because it mellows me out ... but to each their own
  • Options

chuck said:

I hate how they're trying to appeal to the new age golfers .. the douche bags who blare music from their carts and generally make noise and bring the NASCAR element to public golf courses.

I said NASCAR but there's a whole other crowd out there now too...kind of a hipster/woke douchebag element that's opposite yet effectively identical to the NASCAR crowd when it comes to their effect on the golf course atmosphere. They also blare their music and say things like "how about if you do you and I do me?" A little hipster fag said that to my vary large, very aggressive brother last summer on our home course and it was two of his steps away from getting really ugly. He would have pummeled all three of these dudes without breaking a sweat, but fortunately the two buddies of the guy who said that intervened and lowered the tension by agreeing to stop.

Stop what, you ask? They were sitting 50' away from the first tee, on the edge of the parking lot, playing guitars and singing. Loudly. Weird as fuck, but I bet they don't do it again.

Anyways, I partially blame the LIV tour for some of this even though it started before them. They're perpetuating and even encouraging it.
    Golf, for better or worse, appeals to a lot of douche canoe bros.

I definitely don't like music on the course so @Tequilla if we play this summer, I don't wanna hear no @chuck Mangione coming from your cart.

I don't even like cigars when I'm golfing. Too distracting. It's beer or BM's and that's it.
    You cut at my soul by 86'ing Chuck Mangione ... that's epic shit right there

I agree on the cigars though ... lots of maintenance
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

chuck said:

I kinda like having some music playing at the tee box. Beats everyone talking in their fake Jim Nantz whisper voices.

My stance is that everyone should have a choice on the music. Either keep it quiet enough that other groups can't hear it, or wear headphones. People who don't like it shouldn't have to hear it when there are other ways. Most of these people either think they're being cool by sharing their tunes with everyone else (the hipsters) or are doing it defiantly because they know it's irritating to most of the other golfers out there (NASCAR crowd).
    I get the idea of trying to pick someone that everybody in your group wants to listen to ...

I don't get the stance of music on the course being a negative (unless we're talking about competitive rounds) ... 98% of rounds out there are designed for fun, relaxation, and enjoyment

Personally, I really enjoy listening to yacht rock on the course because it mellows me out ... but to each their own
    My concentration is fragile and always has been. Ive always played with people who kept quiet when people were hitting, and that's what I'm used to, so any unnatural noise when I'm over the ball and ready will invariably ruin a shot for me. I have a swing thought sequence that, if I don't go through it, I won't hit the ball well. It's a sure thing.

I'm working on it. I get a fair amount of shit for being so sensitive and probably deserve it.

The idea of music during golf is a new thing though as far as I'm concerned and it shouldn't be pushed on folks who don't like it. I'm going to teach myself to deal with it, but I still don't think I should have to.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,250
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

I've gone back and forth on the weed smoking. I want to but I don't play well when I do. Most days it's not worth the aggravation, but it's great on the right day.
    ^^^This…I don’t drink more than a couple of beers (if that), because my game goes to hell in a hurry when I do. I’m not a super-competitive douche (externally), but many years ago I determined that the greens fees were a pretty stiff cover charge to get drunk. Some of my boys will pound and/or bake when playing, and that’s fine…I will fire up a nice stogie when the mood fits…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

^^^This…I don’t drink more than a couple of beers (if that), because my game goes to hell in a hurry when I do. I’m not a super-competitive douche (externally), but many years ago I determined that the greens fees were a pretty stiff cover charge to get drunk. Some of my boys will pound and/or bake when playing, and that’s fine…I will fire up a nice stogie when the mood fits…
    I'm the same with beer. I'll drink one or even two on the right day, but I'm usually better off with none unless I'm in a cart. I prefer to walk and I'm a thirsty guy who chews tobacco. It's not uncommon for me to drink two liters of water while walking on a hot day. Adding beer to that, especially if the course works you at all as a walker, just makes me feel like shit.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

My concentration is fragile and always has been. Ive always played with people who kept quiet when people were hitting, and that's what I'm used to, so any unnatural noise when I'm over the ball and ready will invariably ruin a shot for me. I have a swing thought sequence that, if I don't go through it, I won't hit the ball well. It's a sure thing.

I'm working on it. I get a fair amount of shit for being so sensitive and probably deserve it.

The idea of music during golf is a new thing though as far as I'm concerned and it shouldn't be pushed on folks who don't like it. I'm going to teach myself to deal with it, but I still don't think I should have to.
    I understand that ...

I'm not great when there are sudden noises when I play ... but if the noise is constant than I'm not in a bad spot
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

chuck said:

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

I understand that ...

I'm not great when there are sudden noises when I play ... but if the noise is constant than I'm not in a bad spot
    There were some dudes a hole in front of us blasting the whole Exodus album one day last summer. I was trying to be chill about it but caught myself humming along to I Don't Want to Wait In Vain while I was trying to hit. That's what I have to work on...tuning it out when it matters
  • Options
    chuck said:

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

I understand that ...

There were some dudes a hole in front of us blasting the whole Exodus album one day last summer. I was trying to be chill about it but caught myself humming along to I Don't Want to Wait In Vain while I was trying to hit. That's what I have to work on...tuning it out when it matters
    It should never be loud enough that you can hear it a group away

Loudest that is acceptable to me is that you can barely hear it from your cart when on the green putting out
  • Options
    chuck said:

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

I understand that ...

I would consider myself a no-music-on-the-course guysm, and then I started thinking, and realized that, for the entirety of my life since I got into music (about age 12), I have songs going through my head, all the time, no matter the situation. I got fired up the other day when Nazareth, Hair of the Dog came on, because that was what I listened to to set the mood, and was in my head while pitching. It's the same on the course. From Brubeck to Blitzkreig Bop, and everywhere between, if it gets in there, I ride it. I dropped a snark line in Yella's dead pool thread the other day, and spent the next 2 hours chit-chatting with nice respectable people at the country club with Star Fucker rolling through my brain on a loop...I think there is something wrong with me...
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,903
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

I understand that ...

I would consider myself a no-music-on-the-course guysm, and then I started thinking, and realized that, for the entirety of my life since I got into music (about age 12), I have songs going through my head, all the time, no matter the situation. I got fired up the other day when Nazareth, Hair of the Dog came on, because that was what I listened to to set the mood, and was in my head while pitching. It's the same on the course. From Brubeck to Blitzkreig Bop, and everywhere between, if it gets in there, I ride it. I dropped a snark line in Yella's dead pool thread the other day, and spent the next 2 hours chit-chatting with nice respectable people at the country club with Star Fucker rolling through my brain on a loop...I think there is something wrong with me...
    Your tricks with fruit were kinda cute!!
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    CHRIST

Like Teq said 98% of rounds aren’t real competition. Sure there is money on the line but it’s for fun. Which means

Music
    Booze
    Cigars (I don’t but others sure do)
    Weed (a few dudes I play with light up)

Music does need to be generally agreed, so I keep customized stations of 90s alt rock, classic rock and rap/hip hop.

But it’s rare to find myself playing golf in a group where all golfers don’t share in the general agreement that we’re gonna drink, play some tunes, smoke if you wanna and talk shit.
  • Options
    Hope Joe has got some time on his hands…
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club