Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners baby, hot stove edition

123578

Comments

  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2022
    I think they are going to go all in for Ohtani next year, and if they miss, Dip should be sweating...It will blow this year's FA signings out of the water...$60mm-plus per year.

    My take has always been "You've got to be in it to win it"...they were in it (playoffs) this year, and came up short. The pitching is what got them there, and that hasn't changed. He can get a bat at the deadline (or before) if he needs it.

    He is probably on the phone with the Pirates every day re: Reynolds

    Everyone (me included) doubted that the bullpen could repeat 2021, and yet they did. I don't know what they do with these guys, but it appears to work.

    ATBS, I am an eternal optimist in December, because we are undefeated in 2023...

    EDIT: For me, they have improved the lineup with Teoscar and Wong, made it deeper, and that will pay dividends. Also, I wouldn't sleep on Dip making a play for Tatis JR...
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Fishpo31 said:

    I think they are going to go all in for Ohtani next year, and if they miss, Dip should be sweating...It will blow this year's FA signings out of the water...$60mm-plus per year.

    My take has always been "You've got to be in it to win it"...they were in it (playoffs) this year, and came up short. The pitching is what got them there, and that hasn't changed. He can get a bat at the deadline (or before) if he needs it.

    He is probably on the phone with the Pirates every day re: Reynolds

    Everyone (me included) doubted that the bullpen could repeat 2021, and yet they did. I don't know what they do with these guys, but it appears to work.

    ATBS, I am an eternal optimist in December, because we are undefeated in 2023...

    EDIT: For me, they have improved the lineup with Teoscar and Wong, made it deeper, and that will pay dividends. Also, I wouldn't sleep on Dip making a play for Tatis JR...

    RIP Tom Browning. I enjoyed those Reds teams.

    As for the M's, they could be waiting for the Pirates prospect asking price comes down and there's a lesser chance they are waiting for Pollock to come down to $1 year, $9 million or so. That would be a reasonable hedge for Kelenic / Trammell / Moore but if I had to guess, they will roll with those guys and look to make a deadline deal for a player like Pollock if those 3 guys can't get it going again.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Had not seen this until yesterday...RIP
    https://youtu.be/WKtvcDEr3S8
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,777
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fishpo31 said:

    Had not seen this until yesterday...RIP
    https://youtu.be/WKtvcDEr3S8

    Take this to the Tug Maximum Carnage Week Game Thread.


  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,441
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    lol, so basically the Mariners owner won't give the GM more money to get the pieces they would need to get past the Astros/Yankees. Now that they locked up the one star player that will sell jerseys there's no need to spend more 😆

    This franchise is never getting to a World Series without a Tampa like run.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:

    lol, so basically the Mariners owner won't give the GM more money to get the pieces they would need to get past the Astros/Yankees. Now that they locked up the one star player that will sell jerseys there's no need to spend more 😆

    This franchise is never getting to a World Series without a Tampa like run.

    It's rough being a Moog. You won't get any arguments here. Part of the strategy is sound. There's a good core already that has shown it can match up well with Houston, better than pretty much anyone else in MLB. It's just not enough. I thought a couple more FA signings to buy 30 or so more homers would do it. They ignored me and would prefer to wait in Reynolds and dump more prospects to get him because he fits their model.

    They are all in on building this team by paying and keeping the guys they developed and/or acquired by trade. They're holding back on payroll so they can pay and keep guys like Raleigh, Gilbert and Kirby. I also expect that if he hits in year one, Teoscar will be offered an extension. The payroll is going to shoot up close to $200 million or so over the next couple of years.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

    haie said:

    lol, so basically the Mariners owner won't give the GM more money to get the pieces they would need to get past the Astros/Yankees. Now that they locked up the one star player that will sell jerseys there's no need to spend more 😆

    This franchise is never getting to a World Series without a Tampa like run.

    It's rough being a Moog. You won't get any arguments here. Part of the strategy is sound. There's a good core already that has shown it can match up well with Houston, better than pretty much anyone else in MLB. It's just not enough. I thought a couple more FA signings to buy 30 or so more homers would do it. They ignored me and would prefer to wait in Reynolds and dump more prospects to get him because he fits their model.

    They are all in on building this team by paying and keeping the guys they developed and/or acquired by trade. They're holding back on payroll so they can pay and keep guys like Raleigh, Gilbert and Kirby. I also expect that if he hits in year one, Teoscar will be offered an extension. The payroll is going to shoot up close to $200 million or so over the next couple of years.
    It's tough to know if they are waiting for the asking price to (potentially) come down for Bryan Reynolds or Ian Happ. Same for a RH bat like AJ Pollock (who may want a 2 year deal but may not get one).

    There's also a chance they feel good about rolling with Trammell (LH) / Kelenic (LH) / Dylan Moore (RH) / Haggerty (RH) and then, if they can't collectively get the job done by the deadline, will trade for a rental bat who is a FA after 2023 so as to limit their financial exposure beyond the season.

    It's also tough to know how they value Harry Ford and Emerson Hancock internally. Maybe they think Ford has too much swing and miss in his profile so they are willing to deal him.

    I just hope they don't roll with what they have right now because an impact or semi-impact RH bat in LF is needed.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023
    HFNY said:

    chuck said:

    haie said:

    lol, so basically the Mariners owner won't give the GM more money to get the pieces they would need to get past the Astros/Yankees. Now that they locked up the one star player that will sell jerseys there's no need to spend more 😆

    This franchise is never getting to a World Series without a Tampa like run.

    It's rough being a Moog. You won't get any arguments here. Part of the strategy is sound. There's a good core already that has shown it can match up well with Houston, better than pretty much anyone else in MLB. It's just not enough. I thought a couple more FA signings to buy 30 or so more homers would do it. They ignored me and would prefer to wait in Reynolds and dump more prospects to get him because he fits their model.

    They are all in on building this team by paying and keeping the guys they developed and/or acquired by trade. They're holding back on payroll so they can pay and keep guys like Raleigh, Gilbert and Kirby. I also expect that if he hits in year one, Teoscar will be offered an extension. The payroll is going to shoot up close to $200 million or so over the next couple of years.
    It's tough to know if they are waiting for the asking price to (potentially) come down for Bryan Reynolds or Ian Happ. Same for a RH bat like AJ Pollock (who may want a 2 year deal but may not get one).

    There's also a chance they feel good about rolling with Trammell (LH) / Kelenic (LH) / Dylan Moore (RH) / Haggerty (RH) and then, if they can't collectively get the job done by the deadline, will trade for a rental bat who is a FA after 2023 so as to limit their financial exposure beyond the season.

    It's also tough to know how they value Harry Ford and Emerson Hancock internally. Maybe they think Ford has too much swing and miss in his profile so they are willing to deal him.

    I just hope they don't roll with what they have right now because an impact or semi-impact RH bat in LF is needed.
    I'm fine with keeping Kelenic for one more try but they need to hedge their bets by finding him a reliable platoon partner.

    I'm not fine with anyone pretending Trammel could still live up to his prospect status. He is too big and losing his athleticism because of it, and it's obvious he's never going to hit consistently.

    I'm also ok with them trading both. I actually prefer it.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Well I think @HFNY first mentioned the idea. Ms are signing Pollock for one year, $7mil.

    They still need a guy that can play around the infield, or at least 3rd and 1st. I read and heard a few interesting names today, both trade targets and sneaky few agents. If they add one more bat with upside who can do that and DH a bit I'll feel pretty solid.

    I also like the reliever they picked up. 98mph sinker and frisbee slider.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

    Well I think @HFNY first mentioned the idea. Ms are signing Pollock for one year, $7mil.

    They still need a guy that can play around the infield, or at least 3rd and 1st. I read and heard a few interesting names today, both trade targets and sneaky few agents. If they add one more bat with upside who can do that and DH a bit I'll feel pretty solid.

    I also like the reliever they picked up. 98mph sinker and frisbee slider.

    Thanks and does @DipotoDawg must still lurk here.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think they're too right handed as far as power bats.

    LH (including switch hitters):

    Hummel
    Raleigh
    Wong
    Crawford
    Kelenic
    Trammell
    Haggarty

    RH , (not including switch hitters)

    Murphy
    France
    Suarez
    Rodriguez
    Hernandez
    Pollock
    Moore

    A little more pop from the left side would be nice unless one is betting on Kelenic or Trammell.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

    I think they're too right handed as far as power bats.

    LH (including switch hitters):

    Hummel
    Raleigh
    Wong
    Crawford
    Kelenic
    Trammell
    Haggarty

    RH , (not including switch hitters)

    Murphy
    France
    Suarez
    Rodriguez
    Hernandez
    Pollock
    Moore

    A little more pop from the left side would be nice unless one is betting on Kelenic or Trammell.

    I'm guessing they are counting on Kelenic or Trammell to start the season and then they'll deal for someone before the break if neither can rise to the occasion.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

    chuck said:

    I think they're too right handed as far as power bats.

    LH (including switch hitters):

    Hummel
    Raleigh
    Wong
    Crawford
    Kelenic
    Trammell
    Haggarty

    RH , (not including switch hitters)

    Murphy
    France
    Suarez
    Rodriguez
    Hernandez
    Pollock
    Moore

    A little more pop from the left side would be nice unless one is betting on Kelenic or Trammell.

    I'm guessing they are counting on Kelenic or Trammell to start the season and then they'll deal for someone before the break if neither can rise to the occasion.
    They still want a corner infielder who ideally hits lefty with some power. They can cover 1st and 3rd for a short term injury or the odd day off with who they have, but if Suarez or France has any extended time off the lineup will suffer. I don't think it's a requirement but it would really be great to have a good bat that could cover at least one of those spots.

    I'm alright with Kelenic getting his chance in a platoon. He's in a position to help the team in a reduced role and may launch some homers facing only righties. I'm not a fan of Trammell though and wish they would give in and find him a new home. Either way there doesn't seem to be much sense in keeping both of them.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,560
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2023
    Good brief discussion article on Pollock skill set https://msn.com/en-gb/sport/mlb/mariners-sign-of-aj-pollock-to-a-one-year-deal/ar-AA166Dff

    I like what he brings to the table [kills left handed pitching, solid defender in left, another vet that knows what he is doing] and this does give Kelenic one more perhaps torturous chance at a big league career with Pollock there to also assist the kid in transformation of his skill set at the plate ~ something that he has already demonstrated that he is really good at.

    They still need one great big add and i don't know where that is going to come from but this is really helpful i think.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

    Good brief discussion article on Pollock skill set https://msn.com/en-gb/sport/mlb/mariners-sign-of-aj-pollock-to-a-one-year-deal/ar-AA166Dff

    I like what he brings to the table [kills left handed pitching, solid defender in left, another vet that knows what he is doing] and this does give Kelenic one more perhaps torturous chance at a big league career with Pollock there to also assist the kid in transformation of his skill set at the plate ~ something that he has already demonstrated that he is really good at.

    They still need one great big add and i don't know where that is going to come from but this is really helpful i think.

    I don't think they need a big add so much as anither role player with upside at the plate. I'm actually pretty happy with the strength of the lineup compared to where it was last year at this time. The rotation is set. The bullpen looks to be nearly set. The Ms are comfortably better than last season already in my opinion.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Seattle can stack a pretty fearsome lineup against a tough lefty:

    Julio CF
    France. 1b
    Hernandez. RF
    Suarez. 3b
    Pollock LF
    Haggerty. 2b
    Murphy C
    Raleigh DH
    Moore SS

    Just one option of many. That's a lot oof pop and a really long lineup vs a lefty. Raleigh is probably the weakest bat in this lineup hitting right handed.

    The AL west is stuffed full of lefties so I really like this.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Don't sleep on Nellie Cruz...
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm not sure how to feel about him as an option.

    Brandon Belt was one guy I was still thinking about but he just got overpayed by Toronto. I don't think they'll pay any more free agents unless it's for change though.

    They surely would really like to unload the salary of either Flexen or Gonzales. I don't think we'll see another move unless it involves trading one of them, or swinging a huge deal for Reynolds. They're not adding anyone else without subtracting.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    chuck said:

    I'm not sure how to feel about him as an option.

    Brandon Belt was one guy I was still thinking about but he just got overpayed by Toronto. I don't think they'll pay any more free agents unless it's for change though.

    They surely would really like to unload the salary of either Flexen or Gonzales. I don't think we'll see another move unless it involves trading one of them, or swinging a huge deal for Reynolds. They're not adding anyone else without subtracting.

    I like Belt, but I don't think he was a fit for them. I'm not so sure about Nellie, I just looked at his numbers, and he may be done. I offer up Trey Mancini...RH bat with some pop, can play 1B serviceably, has DH'ed. If they can find the right fit, they don't need a big name. DH vs LHP, ability to give 1B/3B a blow when needed. He checks 2 of three.
    They have what the Buccos want...MLB players, and high-end prospects. Not many clubs are dealing from a position of strength, and the M's have 6 legit MLB starting pitchers, with more in the pipeline. I hope think Dip waits them out, and pulls the trigger right before spring training...
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    On first blush, Belt was very interesting for me. He's a line-drive/doubles type guy, but I think he's probably more of a true platoon guy than a DH, and that raised the price. France needs a backup, and I think with as hard as he plays, that hurt him in the 2nd half last year. The ideal is a DH/bat first, that can back up at a corner, or both corners, when needed...
Sign In or Register to comment.