Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners baby, hot stove edition

Comments

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sorry about the "Captain Obvious" above, Drunk Posting Rules!
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,609
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Haha. All I noted was that we seem to agree on what they could still do to improve.

Give me a lefty bat with power to spell France and I'm good.

I saw that dodgers writers are assuming Seattle is out of the Brian Reynolds sweepstakes since they signed Pollock. I don't think that's true at all, but that trade would have to trigger some other shakeups and the lineup could look substantially different than it does now. That would be fun.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

Haha. All I noted was that we seem to agree on what they could still do to improve.

Give me a lefty bat with power to spell France and I'm good.

I saw that dodgers writers are assuming Seattle is out of the Brian Reynolds sweepstakes since they signed Pollock. I don't think that's true at all, but that trade would have to trigger some other shakeups and the lineup could look substantially different than it does now. That would be fun.
    I agree. I don't think they are necessarily out on Reynolds, and if they can make it work, Dip can maybe create some sort of package from Kelenic, Flex, Marco and others to get the (closer to ) perfect fit of LH pop, both-corners back-up...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Colin Moran, lefty hitting corner infielder, signed to a minors deal and invited to spring training. Could be the guy they try to address that lefty reserve spot with for now while they put all their focus on trying to get Reynolds.
  • Options
    You beat me to it…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

You beat me to it…

First1!!! 1!!
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Fishpo31 said:

Don't sleep on Nellie Cruz...

As long as he's still taking his Dominican supplements...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Ms made the playoffs because of a combo of minor miracles and good game management. The lineup was never completely healthy, they got very little from two guys they really needed (Winker and Haniger), had a sub. 200 DH, and got a horrible second half from what had been their best hitter.

This lineup is constructed so much better, the young starters have a full season behind them (Hancock and Flexen are at best #s 5-6), Castillo is here for a full season, and the bullpen looks just as strong.

They can cover for injuries way better than last season. They have a couple of high upside starters MLB ready, or close, in case one of the top four is out for any extended period of time.

I think they've quietly added some wins to last season even with Texas improving.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nellie to the Padres for 1 million. If he goes and hits 25+ homers for them could someone please kick me in the nuts?

I know volunteers wouldn't be hard to find, but I'm not too concerned. He wont.
  • Options
    TheRoarOfTheCrowdTheRoarOfTheCrowd Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,560
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited January 2023
    Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

I'm not sure how to feel about him as an option.

Brandon Belt was one guy I was still thinking about but he just got overpayed by Toronto. I don't think they'll pay any more free agents unless it's for change though.

They surely would really like to unload the salary of either Flexen or Gonzales. I don't think we'll see another move unless it involves trading one of them, or swinging a huge deal for Reynolds. They're not adding anyone else without subtracting.

I like Belt, but I don't think he was a fit for them. I'm not so sure about Nellie, I just looked at his numbers, and he may be done. I offer up Trey Mancini...RH bat with some pop, can play 1B serviceably, has DH'ed. If they can find the right fit, they don't need a big name. DH vs LHP, ability to give 1B/3B a blow when needed. He checks 2 of three.
    They have what the Buccos want...MLB players, and high-end prospects. Not many clubs are dealing from a position of strength, and the M's have 6 legit MLB starting pitchers, with more in the pipeline. I hope think Dip waits them out, and pulls the trigger right before spring training...
    Think the same about Nelson, he is finally done ~ and what a great career... he is a hall of famer in my opinion in the same tradition as Edgar ~ he routinely changed the outcome of the game with a deadly bat sooooo many times and in Nelson's case over a long career. Gonzo is the better player and the more marketable so I think he will be traded along with pieces for somebody. YTD. Sure hope they keep Hancock, he is next in the hit parade IMO, the guy i would include is Brash ~ another good talent. I just wish they had resigned Haniger as an RBI machine but adding Pollock was a better move to give Kalenic another extended look chance.

Adding Reynolds without overpaying ~ yes please, he is that rare left fielder, doesn't have a giant bat [especially in our stadium] but is an above average 5 tool guy, but when they added Pollock [i year deal?] they were preparing to move on if they could not swing a deal for Reynolds is my guess.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fishpo31 said:

chuck said:

I'm not sure how to feel about him as an option.

Brandon Belt was one guy I was still thinking about but he just got overpayed by Toronto. I don't think they'll pay any more free agents unless it's for change though.

They surely would really like to unload the salary of either Flexen or Gonzales. I don't think we'll see another move unless it involves trading one of them, or swinging a huge deal for Reynolds. They're not adding anyone else without subtracting.

I like Belt, but I don't think he was a fit for them. I'm not so sure about Nellie, I just looked at his numbers, and he may be done. I offer up Trey Mancini...RH bat with some pop, can play 1B serviceably, has DH'ed. If they can find the right fit, they don't need a big name. DH vs LHP, ability to give 1B/3B a blow when needed. He checks 2 of three.
    They have what the Buccos want...MLB players, and high-end prospects. Not many clubs are dealing from a position of strength, and the M's have 6 legit MLB starting pitchers, with more in the pipeline. I hope think Dip waits them out, and pulls the trigger right before spring training...
    Think the same about Nelson, he is finally done ~ and what a great career... he is a hall of famer in my opinion in the same tradition as Edgar ~ he routinely changed the outcome of the game with a deadly bat sooooo many times and in Nelson's case over a long career. Gonzo is the better player and the more marketable so I think he will be traded along with pieces for somebody. YTD. Sure hope they keep Hancock, he is next in the hit parade IMO, the guy i would include is Brash ~ another good talent. I just wish they had resigned Haniger as an RBI machine but adding Pollock was a better move to give Kalenic another extended look chance.

Adding Reynolds without overpaying ~ yes please, he is that rare left fielder, doesn't have a giant bat [especially in our stadium] but is an above average 5 tool guy, but when they added Pollock [i year deal?] they were preparing to move on if they could not swing a deal for Reynolds is my guess.
    I think Dipoto would happily retool the entire lineup to make Reynolds fit if that's what it took. Even now.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Cruz got caught taking roids which means he won’t make the Hall of Fame. Ortiz is the only one that got caught and still made it.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited January 2023
    I disagree about that.. he has been clean ever since and it is obvious that his home run power which peaked even later was not influenced by Roids which i think is why he will be inducted… its a good point though and you may well be right about that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This article about Jonaton Clase got me thinking about Julio and where he should be playing. I don't think centerfield is the right long term answer. In my mind he's there until they find a better option. Yes he has the speed and all, but he's a huge dude and those don't seem to hold up in center. His greatest value to the team is on offense, and whatever it takes to keep it that way is what they should be planning imo. To me that means right or left field. Let the lightweight guys cover all that ground. I hope Julio sees it that way.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2023/1/19/23561862/seattle-mariners-40-in-40-jonatan-clase-speed-demon-with-some-pop
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2023
    They grabbed someone to fill the role I kept harping on...a lefty batting infielder. Not a guarantee to pan out by any means but his ceiling is up there and the Giants are paying him quite a bit to play for Seattle.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/mariners-sign-tommy-la-stella.html
  • Options
    MotownMotown Member Posts: 144
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

This article about Jonaton Clase got me thinking about Julio and where he should be playing. I don't think centerfield is the right long term answer. In my mind he's there until they find a better option. Yes he has the speed and all, but he's a huge dude and those don't seem to hold up in center. His greatest value to the team is on offense, and whatever it takes to keep it that way is what they should be planning imo. To me that means right or left field. Let the lightweight guys cover all that ground. I hope Julio sees it that way.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2023/1/19/23561862/seattle-mariners-40-in-40-jonatan-clase-speed-demon-with-some-pop

Long term probably not, but i dont see a reason to move him short to medium term either. Especially if hes only 22. It's not this season to wonder. An answer probably comes in draft.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Motown said:

chuck said:

Long term probably not, but i dont see a reason to move him short to medium term either. Especially if hes only 22. It's not this season to wonder. An answer probably comes in draft.
    Referring to Clase as a possibility isn't suggesting any changes this year or in the short term. He's a prospect, the outfield is full, and if anyone was coming up due to an injury this year Marlowe would be the guy.

Medium term we just disagree. The sooner he gets out of center the less likely the beating will affect him long term. They've made quite a long commitment to him.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I guess Julio is 20 lbs heavier than Griffey, but same height. Kinda sick of hearing about athletes these days and the rest, taking games off, etc. If the M's can get someone in center who has range and isn't a huge liability at the plate, great. Otherwise put the best player at their best position.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This thread needs a bump. Hot stove league is over so it's about time to retire it.

Never embedded a Twitter vid before so this probably won't work. Gilbert working on a splitter...
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited February 2023
    It was interesting to watch the wheels fall off after his great first half and the see him pick himself of the mat and believe in his stuff.
    Kirby sailed on through like a pixie, Gilbert can help him this year with what he learned about the darkside, and meanwhile the ace is
    going to have a great year and make a real difference. That is my take.

We gave up a lot when we did not resign the heart of the batting order, we will see if Teoscar can be that guy, I'm not sure that he can.
    That is my question. I'm not sure they made a mistake in not resigning Haniger, building is a process and it is clearly happening, is my
    conclusion.

The other thing I wonder about is that forever, until a few years ago, it was customary to put your best hitter at least at the 2 spot and
    most usually at the three spot even if he could run. Now its clearly the vogue to give up 25 - 35 RBI's and rally igniting big time hits by
    posting the guy in the leadoff position and i really wonder about that. Thoughts? @Fishpo31 @chuck