Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners baby, hot stove edition

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

Nimmo isn't really my favorite player still in the picture Actually I'm not sure who is...maybe Reynolds.

Good addition though if it happens. I wouldn't complain.

I haven't assembled a list, but reading up on prospects a bit today, it strikes me that there are a number of good SS prospects low in the Ms system. Another, possibly an extreme high end prospect, is expected to sign with Seattle as an international free agent.

That probably played a role in not wanting to commit so much to a free agent SS. They're young but not 10 years away.

It really comes down to ownership's budget and I'm thinking Hancock and Brash will help allow the M's to move on from Flexen or Marco, which would save at least $6 million in 2023 and who knows how much more beyond.

So do the M's value controllable years (that they'll likely have to buy out after 2023) in Bryan Reynolds and their prospects less or if they value their prospects a ton will they go for Nimmo, who will cost more in 2023 and perhaps 2024 relative to Reynolds? Reynolds will push to have the last two arb years bought out.

For Reynolds, the Pirates may want Hancock and Ford besides Kelenic so that would simply be too much in my mind. The problem with Nimmo is that he also comes with a qualifying offer so the M's would give up a relatively high draft pick to sign him (besides $17 to $21 million a year).

Benintendi is cheaper but wouldn't play as good of a LF Nimmo (who could also spell Julio in CF if need be) and doesn't have the same power profile (and Nimmo doesn't have the same power profile as Reynolds).

Another option would be to do a low-risk 1 year pillow deal with Seattle's own Michael Conforto. He'd be the cheapest and would rotate at RF / DH.

Lastly, another trade candidate could be Jake McCarthy since he'd be cheaper than Reynolds in terms of salary / prospects needed but he is certainly riskier since he doesn't have much proven production. However, he has proven success against MLB pitching while Kelenic and Trammell don't so

Best case scenario is that ownership is willing to open the wallet and sign Nimmo to a 3 or 4 year deal but I don't think they will do that (while giving up a relatively high draft pick). So if I had to guess, will sign Conforto to $1 year, $12 million deal and a team option for a 2nd year at $18 million or a $1 million buyout. It is a relatively low risk deal the M's while they have a veteran player with proven production for 2023 in case Kelenic / Trammell / Marlowe can't break through.

What do others think?
    I'd make that deal. Hancock is easily expendable, we have plenty of high minors arms of similar quality (Miller, Berroa, Dollard). Kelenic probably needs a fresh start, I don't think he's going to pan out here. Ford would hurt to lose as I'm super high on him but you move a guy like that for Reynolds. I'd include Flexen and pay his salary for them too if need be.
    Bold as hell for my way of thinking but I'd probably love it in the end. Kelenic needs a new home. Hancock is special but I have doubts about his durability too. Ford would hurt.

But then I look at Reynolds again and holy shit. He's still young, he's versatile and fast he switch hits with fairly equal splits, and he has power.

Yeah do it.
    I agree, Reynolds is sick and I have had him on my fantasy baseball team each year because he checks so many boxes. The M's might have to overpay on the prospect side since some teams will value him as a CFer for at least a few more years while the M's would mostly have him play LF (which doesn't have the premium of CF).

Another thing we don't know by how much the FO values Cal Raleigh. If they like his future with the team beyond 2023, then leveraging Ford's value now wouldn't hurt as much. Plus if Kelenic struggles another year, his trade value drops waaay down and he would add move value to Pittsburgh as a CF / LF in 2023 than the M's (much shorter leash).
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,611
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

Nimmo isn't really my favorite player still in the picture Actually I'm not sure who is...maybe Reynolds.

Good addition though if it happens. I wouldn't complain.

I haven't assembled a list, but reading up on prospects a bit today, it strikes me that there are a number of good SS prospects low in the Ms system. Another, possibly an extreme high end prospect, is expected to sign with Seattle as an international free agent.

That probably played a role in not wanting to commit so much to a free agent SS. They're young but not 10 years away.

It really comes down to ownership's budget and I'm thinking Hancock and Brash will help allow the M's to move on from Flexen or Marco, which would save at least $6 million in 2023 and who knows how much more beyond.

So do the M's value controllable years (that they'll likely have to buy out after 2023) in Bryan Reynolds and their prospects less or if they value their prospects a ton will they go for Nimmo, who will cost more in 2023 and perhaps 2024 relative to Reynolds? Reynolds will push to have the last two arb years bought out.

For Reynolds, the Pirates may want Hancock and Ford besides Kelenic so that would simply be too much in my mind. The problem with Nimmo is that he also comes with a qualifying offer so the M's would give up a relatively high draft pick to sign him (besides $17 to $21 million a year).

Benintendi is cheaper but wouldn't play as good of a LF Nimmo (who could also spell Julio in CF if need be) and doesn't have the same power profile (and Nimmo doesn't have the same power profile as Reynolds).

Another option would be to do a low-risk 1 year pillow deal with Seattle's own Michael Conforto. He'd be the cheapest and would rotate at RF / DH.

Lastly, another trade candidate could be Jake McCarthy since he'd be cheaper than Reynolds in terms of salary / prospects needed but he is certainly riskier since he doesn't have much proven production. However, he has proven success against MLB pitching while Kelenic and Trammell don't so

Best case scenario is that ownership is willing to open the wallet and sign Nimmo to a 3 or 4 year deal but I don't think they will do that (while giving up a relatively high draft pick). So if I had to guess, will sign Conforto to $1 year, $12 million deal and a team option for a 2nd year at $18 million or a $1 million buyout. It is a relatively low risk deal the M's while they have a veteran player with proven production for 2023 in case Kelenic / Trammell / Marlowe can't break through.

What do others think?
    I'd make that deal. Hancock is easily expendable, we have plenty of high minors arms of similar quality (Miller, Berroa, Dollard). Kelenic probably needs a fresh start, I don't think he's going to pan out here. Ford would hurt to lose as I'm super high on him but you move a guy like that for Reynolds. I'd include Flexen and pay his salary for them too if need be.
    Bold as hell for my way of thinking but I'd probably love it in the end. Kelenic needs a new home. Hancock is special but I have doubts about his durability too. Ford would hurt.

But then I look at Reynolds again and holy shit. He's still young, he's versatile and fast he switch hits with fairly equal splits, and he has power.

Yeah do it.
    I agree, Reynolds is sick and I have had him on my fantasy baseball team each year because he checks so many boxes. The M's might have to overpay on the prospect side since some teams will value him as a CFer for at least a few more years while the M's would mostly have him play LF (which doesn't have the premium of CF).

Another thing we don't know by how much the FO values Cal Raleigh. If they like his future with the team beyond 2023, then leveraging Ford's value now wouldn't hurt as much. Plus if Kelenic struggles another year, his trade value drops waaay down and he would add move value to Pittsburgh as a CF / LF in 2023 than the M's (much shorter leash).
    I'm not sure that Ford is going to stay at catcher. Not saying he won't, don't twist. He's not limited to that though.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,246
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If Ford is the key, the package should include Evan White. This is the worst contract on the club. When he isn't "hurt", he can't hit. This is what the Red Sox did when they traded Mookie to the Dodgers. David Price went with him for $90mm, for 114 IP in 2 years (sat out covid year). Allegedly the Sox paid half of it. If they want the top prospect, then they get a bad contract.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fishpo31 said:

If Ford is the key, the package should include Evan White. This is the worst contract on the club. When he isn't "hurt", he can't hit. This is what the Red Sox did when they traded Mookie to the Dodgers. David Price went with him for $90mm, for 114 IP in 2 years (sat out covid year). Allegedly the Sox paid half of it. If they want the top prospect, then they get a bad contract.

I don't hate the idea, but you can't dump salary on Pittsburgh. The whole point of trading Reynolds is they don't want to pay him.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

I don't hate the idea, but you can't dump salary on Pittsburgh. The whole point of trading Reynolds is they don't want to pay him.
    Good point.

I watched a variety of short video clips last night, including some Winker highlights. One thing bugging me right now is this:. I bet he puts up his 2021 numbers for Milwaukee this season. That doesn't mean he would in Seattle, but if he did that would be all the improvement Seattle's lineup needs.

I'm sure it was the right move to get him out, but that's still going to be a gut punch for me.

Edit...on another note and to avoid double posting...The Ms Fan sided/sodo mojo or whatever the fuck page actually had a sensible idea yesterday. Brandon Drury perfectly fits one of Seattle's needs. He can play corner infield or corner outfield, hits for some power, and (from what I've seen) is a tough out that would fit the bottom of their lineup like a glove.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

Good point.

I watched a variety of short video clips last night, including some Winker highlights. One thing bugging me right now is this:. I bet he puts up his 2021 numbers for Milwaukee this season. That doesn't mean he would in Seattle, but if he did that would be all the improvement Seattle's lineup needs.

I'm sure it was the right move to get him out, but that's still going to be a gut punch for me.

Edit...on another note and to avoid double posting...The Ms Fan sided/sodo mojo or whatever the fuck page actually had a sensible idea yesterday. Brandon Drury perfectly fits one of Seattle's needs. He can play corner infield or corner outfield, hits for some power, and (from what I've seen) is a tough out that would fit the bottom of their lineup like a glove.
    Winker probably will have a nice bounce back year but I have read multiple times that he wasn't the best in the clubhouse. Maybe Julio or some of the other younger guys who will be with the team for awhile didn't jive with him?

Drury is intriguing but he's bad in LF and subpar at 3B. He probably wants to go somewhere where he can play 1B full time but maybe the M's could appeal to him as a back-up 1B / 3B / DH guy.

I'm not sure how he is in the clubhouse but AJ Pollock could be a good fit in LF. Even though he just turned 35, he has a proven bat and still mashes lefties. He could platoon with Trammell and also DH some.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

Good point.

Winker probably will have a nice bounce back year but I have read multiple times that he wasn't the best in the clubhouse. Maybe Julio or some of the other younger guys who will be with the team for awhile didn't jive with him?

Drury is intriguing but he's bad in LF and subpar at 3B. He probably wants to go somewhere where he can play 1B full time but maybe the M's could appeal to him as a back-up 1B / 3B / DH guy.

I'm not sure how he is in the clubhouse but AJ Pollock could be a good fit in LF. Even though he just turned 35, he has a proven bat and still mashes lefties. He could platoon with Trammell and also DH some.
    Dipoto has talked a lot about the need for a viable backup, primarily for first and third that's also a viable enough bat to slot in as the DH. He fills both all three needs and could play OF in a pinch. It'd be great if he was a plus fielder but isn't necessary to be a good addition.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

Good point.

Dipoto has talked a lot about the need for a viable backup, primarily for first and third that's also a viable enough bat to slot in as the DH. He fills both all three needs and could play OF in a pinch. It'd be great if he was a plus fielder but isn't necessary to be a good addition.
    What do you think about Pollock?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

Good point.

What do you think about Pollock?
    To fill a platoon in left as a rental? I really haven't watched him play much and didn't know what kind of stats he's had until just now. He had a huge 2021 but came back to earth a bit last year. I don't think your expectations could be all that high for him to produce much above average offense, but he'd be solid if healthy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    11 years for Correa. The NL west spending competition is fun.

Question..does anyone here think Seattle should've been in on the retardation the three FA shortstops created? Would you approve of a huge annual payment to a washed up SS for 3-5 years at the end of the contract?

Not me. The Ms come out of this in better position than the big spenders, imo. Their hands aren't tied.

Watch the trade value for Flexen and Marco sky rocket once all these big spenders realize they only have half of a rotation. That's what I'm banking on.
  • Options
    Short answer: Yes. That is what the DH is for. If you get the right fit, you've gotta pay to play.

It is impossible to out-perform a free agent, long-term contract. There will be decline, but is it slow, or fast? If a SS slows down or blows a knee out, he becomes a 3B. If he blows an arm out, he becomes a 2B/CF/LF. If he stops hitting, you are fucked.

The guys that become big FAs have track record, and they have performed a a very high level while being "grossly" underpaid for their production. The first big contract is pretty fair, the second one usually never is fair, for the club.

The years on these contracts are ridiculous, but short of offering 60-70 million a year for shorter years, that is the going rate for 5-6 good years at a premium position...My 2 cents
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

Short answer: Yes. That is what the DH is for. If you get the right fit, you've gotta pay to play.

It is impossible to out-perform a free agent, long-term contract. There will be decline, but is it slow, or fast? If a SS slows down or blows a knee out, he becomes a 3B. If he blows an arm out, he becomes a 2B/CF/LF. If he stops hitting, you are fucked.

The guys that become big FAs have track record, and they have performed a a very high level while being "grossly" underpaid for their production. The first big contract is pretty fair, the second one usually never is fair, for the club.

The years on these contracts are ridiculous, but short of offering 60-70 million a year for shorter years, that is the going rate for 5-6 good years at a premium position...My 2 cents

I just don't see where any of them mash or carry a team offensively enough to get paid like that. Certainly not Correa or Bogarts.

That's not the only way to get it done either, and all the Ms need are two guys with dangerous bats to rotate and they're right there with the best offenses in the league.
  • Options
    chuck said:

Fishpo31 said:

I just don't see where any of them mash or carry a team offensively enough to get paid like that. Certainly not Correa or Bogarts.

That's not the only way to get it done either, and all the Ms need are two guys with dangerous bats to rotate and they're right there with the best offenses in the league.
    You can draft, trade, or FA sign. That is the order of preference, btw. If your young guys hit (Julio, Big, Dumper, Kirby, Gilbert...) it's all good. When you get down to one piece being the difference, FA / trade are the only options. Correa just got 350MM, and the guy that replaced him and was the WS MVP made $700,000 this year. As Michael Lewis said, it is the art of winning an unfair game...
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Just listened to JP Morosi on the way to the store. Nelson Cruz’s name popped up, also mentioned Bennitendi. Also, said that Correa’s deal penciled out to about 27Mm per year, which is a pretty good value going forward…nice work, if you can get it…
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Fishpo31 said:

Just listened to JP Morosi on the way to the store. Nelson Cruz’s name popped up, also mentioned Bennitendi. Also, said that Correa’s deal penciled out to about 27Mm per year, which is a pretty good value going forward…nice work, if you can get it…

In LF, I think I'd rather have Trammell / Kelenic as the LH bat and Pollock on a 1 year or 2 year rental as the RH bat in LF. Benintendi is certainly less risky than running with Trammell / Kelenic and D. Moore could be the RH bat in LF when needed.

If Trader Jerry calls me, I'll tell him that I'm ok with either.
  • Options
    FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,483
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment First Anniversary
    Founders Club
    @Fishpo31 @chuck @HFNY

Good chit fellas, you are my go to off-season news and analysis source at this point. You guys are pretty fucking good at breaking down the different tradeoffs in roster construction and club strategy. I’m
    not a big enough baseball/Ms guy to know what else is out there covering the ins and outs, but I pop on here every couple days to catch up and feel like I learn something almost every time.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

@Fishpo31 @chuck @HFNY

Good chit fellas, you are my go to off-season news and analysis source at this point. You guys are pretty fucking good at breaking down the different tradeoffs in roster construction and club strategy. I’m
    not a big enough baseball/Ms guy to know what else is out there covering the ins and outs, but I pop on here every couple days to catch up and feel like I learn something almost every time.

I stopped paying attention for almost 10 years and got hooked back in last year. Still catching up. I'm full of ideas, but it's pretty obvious who really knows their shit here. @Fishpo31 is the one with the real world experience and real baseball nerd syndrome.

There are other guys who only stop in once in a while who know the game at least as well as me and follow just as closely too. They just don't lead boring enough lives to be in a Mariners thread in mid December.

I'm glad you're into it. We're not a big group.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

@Fishpo31 @chuck @HFNY

I stopped paying attention for almost 10 years and got hooked back in last year. Still catching up. I'm full of ideas, but it's pretty obvious who really knows their shit here. @Fishpo31 is the one with the real world experience and real baseball nerd syndrome.

There are other guys who only stop in once in a while who know the game at least as well as me and follow just as closely too. They just don't lead boring enough lives to be in a Mariners thread in mid December.

I'm glad you're into it. We're not a big group.
    Yeah I love learning new things or ways at looking at the game from others. Baseball is a great sport for kids too (I don't have any yet) because it works on their attention spans, which is every more needed in a tech-driven world.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    How about the M's trade Marco back to the Cards along with $3 million in 2023 and $6 million in 2024 for Tyler O'Neill? As Divish said, it would be amazing to have Hans and Franz in LF.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2022/12/19/23500662/seattle-mariners-spoiling-an-opportunity-not-their-fans-greedy-payroll-free-agency

The new Ms are still the old Ms. Boring. All I'm hearing from Dip is arrogance and excuse making.

They clawed their way into the playoffs with this roster, essentially, and with Texas still rebuilding. I don't think it will work this year. All of last year's playoff teams and contenders except Seattle have made moves to get better. Assuming improvement from young guys who have only one good, full year under their belts (or none, like Kelenic) is risky.

Of course this lineup can be good enough assuming repeat or better years from everyone but that's unlikely. Suarez is a good candidate to drop off, as are Julio, Gilbert, Kirby and Raleigh. You can't count the bullpen holding so many one run leads or ties like they did to win key series against Cleveland, the Yanks and Atlanta last year. You're not likely to go 7-1 against a playoff team like Toronto.

They haven't improved much on paper while a lot of other teams have. I see them as a fringe playoff contender with this lineup unless a couple of pitchers are in the Cy Young conversation and someone like France or Kelenic puts it together for a whole season.