Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mariners baby, hot stove edition

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fishpo31 said:

Sounds like they are in the race on Nimmo.

Where'd you hear this? Great news if so.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,248
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    They were talking about it on MLB network…Toronto and Mets as well
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

Sounds like they are in the race on Nimmo.

Where'd you hear this? Great news if so.
    @Fishpo31 hears all! I've tried to beat him here with news only to realize he already knew or predicted it in a post that I had already read.
  • Options
    I geek out on this shit…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nimmo isn't really my favorite player still in the picture Actually I'm not sure who is...maybe Reynolds.

Good addition though if it happens. I wouldn't complain.

I haven't assembled a list, but reading up on prospects a bit today, it strikes me that there are a number of good SS prospects low in the Ms system. Another, possibly an extreme high end prospect, is expected to sign with Seattle as an international free agent.

That probably played a role in not wanting to commit so much to a free agent SS. They're young but not 10 years away.
  • Options
    Philly and the Pads (and some others) are built to win now, and will blow it up if they don't. The M's have the young core, with some dudes coming, and to make a 10 year commitment to a premium position that will be late 30s-early 40s when the contract ends isn't smart. I would not be surprised to hear that Dip checked in on all the big 4, with less-years offered. Shortstops decline pretty quickly as they age, and if you shell out large, you gotta play them.

I also heard a rumor, with no confirmation, that J.D. Martinez is in town...
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Nimmo isn't really my favorite player still in the picture Actually I'm not sure who is...maybe Reynolds.

I haven't assembled a list, but reading up on prospects a bit today, it strikes me that there are a number of good SS prospects low in the Ms system. Another, possibly an extreme high end prospect, is expected to sign with Seattle as an international free agent.

That probably played a role in not wanting to commit so much to a free agent SS. They're young but not 10 years away.

It really comes down to ownership's budget and I'm thinking Hancock and Brash will help allow the M's to move on from Flexen or Marco, which would save at least $6 million in 2023 and who knows how much more beyond.

So do the M's value controllable years (that they'll likely have to buy out after 2023) in Bryan Reynolds and their prospects less or if they value their prospects a ton will they go for Nimmo, who will cost more in 2023 and perhaps 2024 relative to Reynolds? Reynolds will push to have the last two arb years bought out.

For Reynolds, the Pirates may want Hancock and Ford besides Kelenic so that would simply be too much in my mind. The problem with Nimmo is that he also comes with a qualifying offer so the M's would give up a relatively high draft pick to sign him (besides $17 to $21 million a year).

Benintendi is cheaper but wouldn't play as good of a LF Nimmo (who could also spell Julio in CF if need be) and doesn't have the same power profile (and Nimmo doesn't have the same power profile as Reynolds).

Another option would be to do a low-risk 1 year pillow deal with Seattle's own Michael Conforto. He'd be the cheapest and would rotate at RF / DH.

Lastly, another trade candidate could be Jake McCarthy since he'd be cheaper than Reynolds in terms of salary / prospects needed but he is certainly riskier since he doesn't have much proven production. However, he has proven success against MLB pitching while Kelenic and Trammell don't so

Best case scenario is that ownership is willing to open the wallet and sign Nimmo to a 3 or 4 year deal but I don't think they will do that (while giving up a relatively high draft pick). So if I had to guess, will sign Conforto to $1 year, $12 million deal and a team option for a 2nd year at $18 million or a $1 million buyout. It is a relatively low risk deal the M's while they have a veteran player with proven production for 2023 in case Kelenic / Trammell / Marlowe can't break through.

What do others think?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think that if they can add someone good to the lineup by dealing any/all of Kelenic, Trammell, Flexen and Gonzales then I'm all for it. That or free agents. I wouldn't trade any more prospects right now unless they see something they don't like in them.

I'd be alright with Conforto. JD Martinez could be a good short term addition too. Get them both.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Nimmo back to Mets, 8 years. I’m on the Conforto train (1 year Boras special), and J.D. is interesting to me…

I think Dip is checking on everybody pertinent to need, but is getting beat by years, which is good, IMO. No 8-10 year albatross contracts, unless it’s the right fit.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

chuck said:

It really comes down to ownership's budget and I'm thinking Hancock and Brash will help allow the M's to move on from Flexen or Marco, which would save at least $6 million in 2023 and who knows how much more beyond.

So do the M's value controllable years (that they'll likely have to buy out after 2023) in Bryan Reynolds and their prospects less or if they value their prospects a ton will they go for Nimmo, who will cost more in 2023 and perhaps 2024 relative to Reynolds? Reynolds will push to have the last two arb years bought out.

For Reynolds, the Pirates may want Hancock and Ford besides Kelenic so that would simply be too much in my mind. The problem with Nimmo is that he also comes with a qualifying offer so the M's would give up a relatively high draft pick to sign him (besides $17 to $21 million a year).

Benintendi is cheaper but wouldn't play as good of a LF Nimmo (who could also spell Julio in CF if need be) and doesn't have the same power profile (and Nimmo doesn't have the same power profile as Reynolds).

Another option would be to do a low-risk 1 year pillow deal with Seattle's own Michael Conforto. He'd be the cheapest and would rotate at RF / DH.

Lastly, another trade candidate could be Jake McCarthy since he'd be cheaper than Reynolds in terms of salary / prospects needed but he is certainly riskier since he doesn't have much proven production. However, he has proven success against MLB pitching while Kelenic and Trammell don't so

Best case scenario is that ownership is willing to open the wallet and sign Nimmo to a 3 or 4 year deal but I don't think they will do that (while giving up a relatively high draft pick). So if I had to guess, will sign Conforto to $1 year, $12 million deal and a team option for a 2nd year at $18 million or a $1 million buyout. It is a relatively low risk deal the M's while they have a veteran player with proven production for 2023 in case Kelenic / Trammell / Marlowe can't break through.

What do others think?
    I'd make that deal. Hancock is easily expendable, we have plenty of high minors arms of similar quality (Miller, Berroa, Dollard). Kelenic probably needs a fresh start, I don't think he's going to pan out here. Ford would hurt to lose as I'm super high on him but you move a guy like that for Reynolds. I'd include Flexen and pay his salary for them too if need be.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Fishpo31 said:

Nimmo back to Mets, 8 years. I’m on the Conforto train (1 year Boras special), and J.D. is interesting to me…

I think Dip is checking on everybody pertinent to need, but is getting beat by years, which is good, IMO. No 8-10 year albatross contracts, unless it’s the right fit.

Wow, the Mets must be sold on his physicals and clubhouse presence.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

What do others think?
    I'd make that deal. Hancock is easily expendable, we have plenty of high minors arms of similar quality (Miller, Berroa, Dollard). Kelenic probably needs a fresh start, I don't think he's going to pan out here. Ford would hurt to lose as I'm super high on him but you move a guy like that for Reynolds. I'd include Flexen and pay his salary for them too if need be.
    Man, that's tough because of Ford. I'd be willing to give up Hancock. I wonder if they'd accept Hancock, Kelenic, Gabriel Gonzalez, and Flexen (along with the cash to pay for Flexen's salary).

If they insist on Ford, I think I'd rather sign Conforto to a 1 year deal and give Trammell / Marlowe another year to develop while reassessing the roster needs at the 2023 trade deadline.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HFNY said:

Fishpo31 said:

Wow, the Mets must be sold on his physicals and clubhouse presence.
    The Mets are retarded. Not Padres level but close.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

What do others think?
    Man, that's tough because of Ford. I'd be willing to give up Hancock. I wonder if they'd accept Hancock, Kelenic, Gabriel Gonzalez, and Flexen (along with the cash to pay for Flexen's salary).

If they insist on Ford, I think I'd rather sign Conforto to a 1 year deal and give Trammell / Marlowe another year to develop while reassessing the roster needs at the 2023 trade deadline.
    I'm sure they can do better than that.

You're not getting Reynolds without giving up a consensus top 100 prospect.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

What do others think?
    Bold as hell for my way of thinking but I'd probably love it in the end. Kelenic needs a new home. Hancock is special but I have doubts about his durability too. Ford would hurt.

But then I look at Reynolds again and holy shit. He's still young, he's versatile and fast he switch hits with fairly equal splits, and he has power.

Yeah do it.
  • Options
    chuck said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

What do others think?
    Bold as hell for my way of thinking but I'd probably love it in the end. Kelenic needs a new home. Hancock is special but I have doubts about his durability too. Ford would hurt.

But then I look at Reynolds again and holy shit. He's still young, he's versatile and fast he switch hits with fairly equal splits, and he has power.

Yeah do it.
    I like Hancock but I'm not sure about special. What makes you like him that much?

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

What do others think?

Yeah do it.
    I like Hancock but I'm not sure about special. What makes you like him that much?

His stuff is pretty filthy, not unlike Kirby imo, and he has a bit of whip in his arm that makes it harder to pick up the ball. I think that same thing can cause him chronic arm troubles though.
  • Options
    chuck said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

What do others think?

Yeah do it.

His stuff is pretty filthy, not unlike Kirby imo, and he has a bit of whip in his arm that makes it harder to pick up the ball. I think that same thing can cause him chronic arm troubles though.
    He's been a lot more hittable than I expected in pro ball. I still like him but would like to see him miss more bats. I do think he's a bit underrated by the industry at this point.
  • Options
    Should add - thanks for the explanation Chuck. Wasn't trying to be combative, just curious what your reasoning was.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    dnc said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

chuck said:

dnc said:

HFNY said:

chuck said:

What do others think?

Yeah do it.

He's been a lot more hittable than I expected in pro ball. I still like him but would like to see him miss more bats. I do think he's a bit underrated by the industry at this point.
    HNMT. Injuries and the crud season fucked him.

Id like to see him called up this year for a spot start or some bullpen innings to see. Another 97mph arm in the pen at the end of the season wouldn't be horrible to have.

But again, Reynolds would be worth him and Kelenic. Ford would hurt a little more but I'm on board.