Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NBA starts tonight. Who ya got?

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Not firing the guy who got you to the Finals was what they needed to do
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

As I get older, the hot take bullshit gets more annoying. The Celtics should keep their core. They aren’t going to get better by trading Jaylen Brown. Horford, Smart, and other role players are the ones to switch out.

They should maybe get a new coach or at least get him some veteran assistants that know defensive schemes. If it was Doc Rivers, I would fire him but Mazzula is 34 years old and got thrown into the job. He can and should improve with time.

The roster is maybe the best in the NBA and the two best players are still young. I would change the coach before changing out a 25+ per game scorer. They will never be a dynasty, but Tatum and Brown have a championship in them.

A few years ago, the hot take was that Giannis would never win in Milwaukee and had to leave. He won a title the next year. The NBA is easily the professional league most swayed by public opinion. It’s a disappointing year for the Celtics, but continuity does matter.

Brown is 26 and Tatum is 25. I could see giving them a couple more cracks at it. Jordan, I. Thomas and LeBron were all 27 when they won their first. Magic had Kareem, Duncan had Robinson, Kobe had Shaq, Bird had Maxwell and Archibald. Problem is, I just don’t think Brown or Tatum are that kind of player. Tatum would be the closest of the two but I think you’re looking at a franchise that has two Pippens and no Jordan. Two Klay Thompsons but no Curry. Two Tony Parker’s but no Tim Duncan. Probably HOF good but not an all timer to push you over the top. Maybe if they found a Larry Brown type coach that could create a formula for success not involving 45 threes a game and centering around defense they could scratch out a title. Who knows, I’m skeptical.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mazzula is on the spectrum. NTTAWWT

They need a real coach not an apprentice.

Stealing Mike Brown would be a good start. He already knows how to handle big boy egos from Lebron's early years and his time with the Warriors.

Mike Brown? Seriously?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    Boston's coach sucks

Stealing Mike Brown would be a good start. He already knows how to handle big boy egos from Lebron's early years and his time with the Warriors.

Mike Brown? Seriously?
    Pick someone else then.

With experience dealing with massive egos.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023

Boston's coach sucks

Mike Brown? Seriously?
    Pick someone else then.

If you want a coach with experience, Nick Nurse or Budholzter. Both are better than Mike Brown. Mike Brown also already has a job and contract. This isn’t college football where coaches bounce around unless they get fired.

Why are you so stuck on big egos and what has Mike Brown ever won?
  • Options

Boston's coach sucks

Mike Brown? Seriously?
    Pick someone else then.

If you want a coach with experience, Nick Nurse or Budholzter. Both are better than Mike Brown. Mike Brown also already has a job and contract. This isn’t college football where coaches bounce around unless they get fired.

Nurse and Bud would be similar. Older, experienced.

Let's be clear - Nurse won with Kawhi and Bud won with Giannis. Neither Brown nor Tatum are Kawhi and Giannis but egos (Tatum's especially) are more on the LeBron level.

Brown has reached ceiling in Sac with the available talent. His window will close as the young core starts entering free agency. Get while the getting is good.

People forget Bud spent time with Atlanta and parted ways to go to Milwaukee. So changing teams does happen in the NBA.

Common thread - they all come from the Popp tree.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Boston's coach sucks

Mike Brown? Seriously?
    Pick someone else then.

Nurse and Bud would be similar. Older, experienced.

Let's be clear - Nurse won with Kawhi and Bud won with Giannis. Neither Brown nor Tatum are Kawhi and Giannis but egos (Tatum's especially) are more on the LeBron level.

Brown has reached ceiling in Sac with the available talent. His window will close as the young core starts entering free agency. Get while the getting is good.

People forget Bud spent time with Atlanta and parted ways to go to Milwaukee. So changing teams does happen in the NBA.

Common thread - they all come from the Popp tree.

Bud got fired from Atlanta. The Clippers trading for Doc is the only time I can remember a coach under contract changing teams. And they had to trade for him.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,447
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

So many @haie takes in the last few pages of this thread.

This is the 3rd NBA finals that Coach Spo has made without Bron. And Jimmy was a bad blockout by a teammate by winning this in 6.

Denver and Miami play the same game. Disciplined ball movement and good D with few live ball TO’s And neither get rattled. Most teams would have folded up the tent after losing that game 6 that way and having to go back to Boston for 7. But coach reminded them that they owned that building.

I think Denver will have their hands full in this one. Miami gets 3 guys scoring every night without Bam. And He’s prolly gonna get his shot back. I like #mynuggies still. But in no less than 6 games.

Thanks for reading.

Looks like everyone is right about Denver.

No one gives a fuck about "disciplined ball movement" at the NBA level.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,268
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I am apparently very late in fully appreciating Nicola Jokic. Holy shit that dood.

The GOAT Serbian athlete is without question the Tug's Novak Djokovic but Jokic with 2 MVPs and laying waste to all competition in the playoffs is building a foundation to have a claim someday.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    whlinder said:

I am apparently very late in fully appreciating Nicola Jokic. Holy shit that dood.

The GOAT Serbian athlete is without question the Tug's Novak Djokovic but Jokic with 2 MVPs and laying waste to all competition in the playoffs is building a foundation to have a claim someday.

He will be a top 5 player of all time by the time he hangs it up.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When I first saw Jokic a few years back I called him a beer league center. As a compliment really. He didn't look the part but he was the guy in the pick up game with a beer gut who had all the skills and you'd wonder how the fuck he was so good

He's really turned into something
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,474
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Anyone paying attention to the fact that most of the young, top shelf players are not American?
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,298
    Swaye's Wigwam

Anyone paying attention to the fact that most of the young, top shelf players are not American?

No different than all the Hawaiians in the NFL. I still don't get how they navigate the language narriers.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

When I first saw Jokic a few years back I called him a beer league center. As a compliment really. He didn't look the part but he was the guy in the pick up game with a beer gut who had all the skills and you'd wonder how the fuck he was so good

He always was something. But it took 2 MVP’s, a social justice screw job and a Championship run for most to notice.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2023
    haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

This is the 3rd NBA finals that Coach Spo has made without Bron. And Jimmy was a bad blockout by a teammate by winning this in 6.

Denver and Miami play the same game. Disciplined ball movement and good D with few live ball TO’s And neither get rattled. Most teams would have folded up the tent after losing that game 6 that way and having to go back to Boston for 7. But coach reminded them that they owned that building.

I think Denver will have their hands full in this one. Miami gets 3 guys scoring every night without Bam. And He’s prolly gonna get his shot back. I like #mynuggies still. But in no less than 6 games.

Thanks for reading.

I was right about Denver. You are almost always wrong. Just keep sucking down shit IPA’s and leave the sports talk to those that don’t do tech support for a livin.
  • Options
    Kaepsknee said:

He always was something. But it took 2 MVP’s, a social justice screw job and a Championship run for most to notice.
    That and he dropped 30 pounds.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

When was the social Justice screw job? This year? Jokic is better than Embiid but averaging 33 on a 54 win is MVP worthy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kaepsknee said:

haie said:

Kaepsknee said:

Thanks for reading.

I was right about Denver. You are almost always wrong. Just keep sucking down shit IPA’s and leave the sports talk to those that don’t do tech support for a livin.
    lol.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,974
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Kaepsknee said:

When was the social Justice screw job? This year? Jokic is better than Embiid but averaging 33 on a 54 win is MVP worthy.
    Less social justice although some commentators mentioned it. The bigger reality was more fatigue from giving it to a guy 3 straight years. It's why players like shaq, Jordan, Duncan, and lbj have less mvp's than they should.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023

Kaepsknee said:

Less social justice although some commentators mentioned it. The bigger reality was more fatigue from giving it to a guy 3 straight years. It's why players like shaq, Jordan, Duncan, and lbj have less mvp's than they should.
    Sure, if you're a Noogget like Salem-KKKeizer and that's your argument, then fine.

But the NBA isn't giving Embiid the trophy just because he mildly whined a year ago and Kendrick Perkins thinks the voters are too white.

I mean, if Lillard gets drafted by the 76er's or Knicks he probably has one MVP. It's not a serious thing and neither is the regular season.