Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mad Son's Ramblings: Year Three is Prove-It Time for Petersen

Comments

• Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,962
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Mad_Son said:

I feel like a broken record. I know Rutgers was keying on the run and giving us the pass. That doesn't change that I didn't see the results I needed to see that something had changed. Null hypothesis is that things are the same until shown otherwise.

THIS!
    The other night I was Dilaudid-sext-ranting to Coker about Bayesian analysis and why you have to take all years of Petersen as meaningful prices.

He deserves a medal.
    That should be 'priors' not 'prices'. Fucking AutoCorrect.

It's hard.

But yeah, as my class poaster friend @Mad_Son is saying the idea is this:

The important premise is we are predicting something that changes, but is not random.

Given that the pattern of data is not random, data already gathered can help you make more accurate (not 100% accurate, just MORE accurate) predictions about the future.

So, we just look at what we've gotten out of Pete so far... let's make it simple and not even use stats, just grades.

2014 Offensive Grade: C-
    2014 Defensive Grade: B+

2015: Offensive Grade: D
    2015 Defensive Grade: A-

What are the grades for 2016 likely to be?

And then, even more than that... Given our prior knowledge, what new information would we view as satisfactory evidence that a new pattern was emerging?
    And you're comfortable that 27 observations of a dynamic portfolio of 85 units (most of which Pete had no choice to include or not) is a large enough sample from which to draw conclusions? Askin for a fren
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited September 2016

Mad_Son said:

Mad_Son said:

Coach effect does not equal game management.

You'd have to be regularly punting on third down to cost your team three wins in one season via game management.

Game management is wrapped up in there. It is a much larger term that encompasses nearly every aspect of the team, as I tried to acknowledge. I maybe wasn't as explicit in mentioning the offense there as I had intended to be. Basically those are the areas where we are under-performing and it is costing us games.
    All coach effect does is compare recruiting rankings to results.

So, assuming the recruiting rankings are unbiased, coach effect attempts to measure every single aspect of coaching from identifying underrated talent to development to roster management to motivation to team-building to game management, etc.

Game management is the most visible aspect of coaching but also the most overrated. A lot of awful fourth down decision makers have won Super Bowls and crystal footballs.
    Yes, so my logic is that if everything other than game mangement and the offense is good then those are what is costing us three games as per CFBMCE. Realistically if we are overachieving in say defense and off-season stuff then those two bad aspects are potentially costing us more than three wins. I acknowledged I did a poor job of showing game management and offense were linked concepts in the context of CFBMCE. I shouldn't have made offense a separate paragraph or I should have separated out game management into the offense paragraph.
    Your logic is flawed.

Once again- a monkey picking plays using a random play generator wouldn't cost his team three full wins in a season. It's ludicrous

Take CP's most derided decision - to hand off to Cooper. An overly generous estimation would be that UW's win probability decreased from 99.5% to 95%.

In other terms that decision, as fucktarded as it was, cost UW less than .05 wins in expectation.
    Not so fast, Two games, Oregon and Arizona, were pissed away through poor play calling and game management. Utah? Is that three? And oh yeah, that decision to punt? Pure pussy.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,184
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rutgers didn't really sell out to stop the run. They were playing with 2 safeties back.

UW lineman just straight whiffed on some blocks (or weren't in sync with each other). It's concerning, but also the type of shit that can be cleaned up quick.

Either way it will be interesting
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    doogville said:

Rutgers didn't really sell out to stop the run. They were playing with 2 safeties back.

UW lineman just straight whiffed on some blocks (or weren't in sync with each other). It's concerning, but also the type of shit that can be cleaned up quick.

There were plays were all five OL just whiffed. The safeties also would read run based on the formations as well. You're right, they didn't stack the box that much. We just telegraphed everything like the pedestrian, unimaginative fucks we are.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

there is no reason the OL will be worse.

Coaching.
  • Options
    DongJamesDongJames Member Posts: 69
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2016

Mad Son puts a lot of time into his Ramblings. We should all thank him for his service.

Read the full story here

I cannot in good conscience thank Mad Dog for his service.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,780
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mad Dog TSIO = Too Soon. Drink heavily and relax 'til game #4. Utterly meaningless games 'til then.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,820
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    doogville said:

There were numerous snaps where Rutgers had all 11 defenders within 8-10 yards of the LOS.

When you are hitting as many bombs as we did, that tells you that the safeties are out of position to defend those and that's usually driven by their focus being on slowing down the run game.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

Puppy wanted Sark to have a 6th year. People forget that.

Uh, pup wanted him gone before he ever stepped on field dipshit.
    Liar. You openly campaigned for his 6th year.
    J that aint close to true. I was here bashing Sark in 2013. I bashed Sark on Dawgman from day 1, whic h is why I got banned. Now here, I remember why I dont come here...but will as I like to drag your pussy through the mud.

Now if your going to lie about Pup wanting Sark, find proof. I was the original on the topic Ty's 0-12 team Sark took over was better than Sark's team when he left. Now I see your brain firing up a memory , which are few and far between
    No one was harder on Sark than puppy was.
    Wow, some actually follow.
    Biggest whoosh ever on this board?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    AEB said:

Mad_Son said:

I feel like a broken record. I know Rutgers was keying on the run and giving us the pass. That doesn't change that I didn't see the results I needed to see that something had changed. Null hypothesis is that things are the same until shown otherwise.

THIS!
    The other night I was Dilaudid-sext-ranting to Coker about Bayesian analysis and why you have to take all years of Petersen as meaningful prices.

He deserves a medal.
    That should be 'priors' not 'prices'. Fucking AutoCorrect.

It's hard.

But yeah, as my class poaster friend @Mad_Son is saying the idea is this:

The important premise is we are predicting something that changes, but is not random.

Given that the pattern of data is not random, data already gathered can help you make more accurate (not 100% accurate, just MORE accurate) predictions about the future.

So, we just look at what we've gotten out of Pete so far... let's make it simple and not even use stats, just grades.

2014 Offensive Grade: C-
    2014 Defensive Grade: B+

2015: Offensive Grade: D
    2015 Defensive Grade: A-

What are the grades for 2016 likely to be?

And then, even more than that... Given our prior knowledge, what new information would we view as satisfactory evidence that a new pattern was emerging?
    And you're comfortable that 27 observations of a dynamic portfolio of 85 units (most of which Pete had no choice to include or not) is a large enough sample from which to draw conclusions? Askin for a fren
    Leave!
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,122

Mad Dog TSIO = Too Soon. Drink heavily and relax 'til game #4. Utterly meaningless games 'til then.

TSIO is 100% not the point...
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

I'm a true nega dawg and fully believe we suck until proven otherwise, but I'm not dumb enough to complain about the beat down we put on Rutgers. The team dos what they had to do. We'll find out after the Arizona and Stanford games.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Tequilla said:

doogville said:

There were numerous snaps where Rutgers had all 11 defenders within 8-10 yards of the LOS.

When you are hitting as many bombs as we did, that tells you that the safeties are out of position to defend those and that's usually driven by their focus being on slowing down the run game.
    THIS.
    It was obvious as fuck Rutgers chief concern was defending the run game all day long. The passing game worked good enough, but there is still too much fuckery as Roady aptly points out. Could we just retire the toss sweep to McClatcher and the zero net yard fucking bubble screens? We should all expect a double-reverse flea-flicker that goes for 5 yards and injures a key player in game 2 or 3. Smiff is hard as a rock just thinking about it.
    Despite the fuckery, UW will win at least 9, because the O has improved enough to execute when they need to.
  • Options
    Mad_Son said:

That declaration has been the entire point of following UW football for 15 years. The over-under on which weekend to make that declaration and start drinking bleach has been the most interesting and engaging point of following UW football since Tui.

We remain that way until we aren't.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Mad_Son said:

I'm a true nega dawg and fully believe we suck until proven otherwise, but I'm not dumb enough to complain about the beat down we put on Rutgers. The team dos what they had to do. We'll find out after the Arizona and Stanford games.
    Its Peter's 3rd year. If he goes 9-4 thats a big improvement. A coach shouldnt be judged till his 4th-5th year. Especially a complete overhaul of a program. Been saying for 2 years, anything that happens this year is a bonus and year ahead of schedule.

Enjoy the rebuilding process. Enjoy the games, the indibidual play. If Pete wins north he'll be consensus pac12 coach of year. And deservedly so.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Mad_Son said:

Its Peter's 3rd year. If he goes 9-4 thats a big improvement. A coach shouldnt be judged till his 4th-5th year. Especially a complete overhaul of a program. Been saying for 2 years, anything that happens this year is a bonus and year ahead of schedule.

Enjoy the rebuilding process. Enjoy the games, the indibidual play. If Pete wins north he'll be consensus pac12 coach of year. And deservedly so.
    Going from 4-5 to 5-4 is a big improvement. Everybody says so.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Mad_Son said:

Going from 4-5 to 5-4 is a big improvement. Everybody says so.
    Baby steps Baabs. If u actually read on you'd notice why being patient is paramount. Charlie Strong didnt do it in 2 years either. It was evident his emphasis on a power downhill running game with a reliable passing game would work. Just didnt have the horses left over from Mack. He brilliantly moved Hurd to WR and brought in a true freshman qb who could actually complete a forward pass. Didnt Petersen do the same thing Babby? Now, coincidentally both teams are in the top 15. Coincidence it is not however. Just patience. Unfortunately most of you bonio's here have zero.