Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mad Son's Ramblings: Year Three is Prove-It Time for Petersen

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited September 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board

imageMad Son's Ramblings: Year Three is Prove-It Time for Petersen

Mad Son puts a lot of time into his Ramblings. We should all thank him for his service.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited September 2016
    Glad to see this is back. Good stuff

Jake's deep ball isn't a MAYBE. He was throwing dimes. Even the Ross incompletion.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,760
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Paragraphs need to be broken up into smaller segments

I'll read it
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited September 2016
    You articulated everything I've been excited/worried about the program after watching the Rutgers game. Thank you.

Edit: PGOS is right - sample sizes of one do suck. Thank you for reminding me of that sir.

I still wish we would've put more points on the board though.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Also take slight issue with your point about the hype being negative. The hype can only be a good thing IMO, light shines ever brighter if we* fall short. Questions will be asked etc.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

Also take slight issue with your point about the hype being negative. The hype can only be a good thing IMO, light shines ever brighter if we* fall short. Questions will be asked etc.

Upvoted for being right regarding hype.

Tempted to give abuse for the picture
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I found that picture absolutely horrifying.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Gladstone said:

This is beyond stupid. The right answer is the hype is meaningless. The coaches and players have done nothing to ask for the hype, nor have they done anything to deserve it.

"But the hype can be a good thing, 'cause if they underperform that (unearned) hype, questions will be asked." Give me a fucking break.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

I found that picture absolutely horrifying.

Then you're retarded
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited September 2016
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,723
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited September 2016
    Coach effect does not equal game management.

You'd have to be regularly punting on third down to cost your team three wins in one season via game management.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,079
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Good write up. The "Hype" section was particularly salient. I'm not 100% sure what salient means so I hope I used it right.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,107
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

You'd have to be regularly punting on third down to cost your team three wins in one season via game management.

Game management is wrapped up in there. It is a much larger term that encompasses nearly every aspect of the team, as I tried to acknowledge. I maybe wasn't as explicit in mentioning the offense there as I had intended to be. Basically those are the areas where we are under-performing and it is costing us games.
  • Options
    BearsWiin said:

Schools like Maryland, Arizona, Cal, and Rutgers, etc should be happy with 7-8 wins when they can get them
    Fuck you

You need a new team my friend. Might I interest you in the Tennessee Volunteers?
  • Options

Ok, I read it.

Too much is being analyzed about the offense in a game that was over after the first 15 minutes.

Sample sizes of one suck...ask Ohio State 2 years ago.

It looks a lot like last year which is what worries me. Sure, we did see the mentioned upside in Browning's deep ball, we are early in the season, and weird things can happen week 1 with all the concealing the playbook, etc aside, but I just didn't see anything to indicate we've fundamentally changed. I hope as the season goes on this will just be one anomalous data point. I know some people give the running game a pass, citing the Rutgers DL as being stout and them selling out to stop the run. That would be a logical game plan based on last year for them and in those cases I'd like to see us air it out more. I just didn't see anything indicating we can impose our will on opposing defenses though which is my concern there.

Fundamentally we have been on a great upward trajectory, but it still remains to be seen if the same problems that haven't been fixed are being addressed. This game is only one data point (or really, one limited dataset) but anything that has been neglected thus far in Petersen's tenure will have to be shown to be different. Year three is time to show it. Benefit of the doubt is over.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

I like that hype is important to good recruits, and builds up an image that can help perpetuate good things. While getting good recruits is always good, perpetuating bad things isn't. It is too early to say if Petersen is good or bad but we will know at the end of this year. The hype can be a double edged sword in my eyes.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    HuskyInAZ said:

Gladstone said:

This is beyond stupid. The right answer is the hype is meaningless. The coaches and players have done nothing to ask for the hype, nor have they done anything to deserve it.

"But the hype can be a good thing, 'cause if they underperform that (unearned) hype, questions will be asked." Give me a fucking break.
    God forbid we ever have standards.

I don't know why they even bother to keep score.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

There is a correlation though.

See Peterman's well-documented game management failures for details.