Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why We Are Average and the Importance of Attrition

Comments

• HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,689 Standard Supporter
    What's concerning is that we haven't won in Tucson since 2006 (Willingham vs. Mike Stoops), Willingham dropped 2008 and then Sarkisian got blown out of the water in 2010 and 2012.

I think you are winning 3 of those 4 "toss-up" games. The single loss coming to ASU. You'll go 6-3 in Conference 10-3 overall. A bowl win would put you at 11 wins. I think that is entirely possible, especially since you get to skip USC and Utah this year, which is a big help.

• PDXDuckFanPDXDuckFan Member Posts: 450
    edited October 2014

I still think this team can win 9 or 10 games if all goes right. But I also don't think there is much talent on this team.

Jesus Cristo. Peters/Thompson/Timu/Shelton/Kikaha are all going to be NFL players. Thompson, Peters, Shelton, and Kikaha are all first or second round draft picks. Shelton alone should make the UW defense dominant, since he's a Nick Fairley clone, but with a better burst. Maybe not Timu in the NFL as a draft pick, but he'll be a priority UFA for some NFL team, and I can see him at least making a practice squad.

Oregon has maybe 3 defensive players who are NFL locks.

Armstead, Ifo, Buckner (maybe) are Thursday/Friday NFL picks. Dargan may be a late-round draft pick. The Oregon LBs are dreck, but Tony Washington Jr. might sneak into the 6th or 7th round.

I can't figure out why this UW defense isn't dominant. So much NFL talent, it's ridiculous. The DC should be able to coach these guys up a bit to hide the freshmen who for some reason are starting for UW.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160

WSU's numbers are INSANE.

2010: Signed 26, 12 gone already.
    2011: Signed 29, 18 gone already.
    2012: Signed 27, 13 gone already.
    2013: Signed 28, 7 gone already.

Holy Shit, Cuogs

It's a Cuog thing...
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,369 Founders Club
    This may have already been mentioned in the TFL;DFR poasts, but it seems pretty clear that the "edgy" guys Sarkasm went after equate to a high attrition rate. OKFGS equate to a low attrition rate.

Pepsi, would you also include BSU's OKFG attrition rate over the same time period when you do the rest of the P12 for comparison? TIA

I can't wait for more OKFGs.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    YBE, coke. Interesting data points.

WSU's numbers are INSANE.

2010: Signed 26, 12 gone already.
    2011: Signed 29, 18 gone already.
    2012: Signed 27, 13 gone already.
    2013: Signed 28, 7 gone already.

Holy Shit, Cuogs

This actually brings up an interesting poont since ML's roots are in the south. Everyone always wonders how the SEC SEC SEC takes 30+ per class. If they are anticipating that level of attrition per class, then the aggregate number of players left over puts them right were they need to be in the end.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    @greenblood‌ Petersen will definitely recruit to his system. I'm anxious to see what the attrition #s are for Boise. I bet they are very low. I think Petersen will have very balanced classes where a good portion of the bottom half guys contribute. With Sark & Ty it was very few. That shit will really add up in 2,3,4 years but not right away.

It only took Saban, Carroll, Stoops, Meyer, Kelly are really killed it in their second year. Mark Dantonio won 7,9,6 before going 48-13 since which is 41-6 other than one 7-6 year. His breakthrough was in year 4. Perhaps we win 9/10 this season then drop to 7 next year before winning double digits for several years after that. Brian Kelly's breakthrough was in year 3.

If we are talking about average we need to specify W/L or metrics. If there are 70 schools from power conferences then you are average at best if you are not in the top 35-40. We could go 9-4 in reg season win a bowl and still be average from that standpoint. SOS will help push our metrics higher as the year goes on. Our conference schedule this year is easy and that helps our W potential. At this point I'd be really happy with 10-4.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    We will do Boise tomorrow and post the results. I'm actually interested to see if they had more attrition since their last 2 teams haven't been so good. Should be interesting, or not.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,174

We will do Boise tomorrow and post the results. I'm actually interested to see if they had more attrition since their last 2 teams haven't been so good. Should be interesting, or not.

I awesome'd this post in lieu of the original so "Hardcore_Husky" doesn't steal your rating. I am interested in what this post has to offer but I don't actually think it is awesome.

If you have time, it would be great if you could cover Peterman's whole tenure. I'd be willing to bet the Kellen Moore years are abnormally low.
    pawz said:

If you have time, it would be great if you could cover Peterman's whole tenure. I'd be willing to bet the Kellen Moore years are abnormally low.
    We will try to do that. But it will be hard because it is hard to search for players that might have left the program in 2008 or whatever. But we will for sure try because I think it could be important. I want to try to atleast start with their 2006 or 2007 class.
  • FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    You say your team is average, but you believe you can win ten games. An average team will win 6-8. Therefore, if you win ten games then you are an very good team.

Btw, we played a Freshmen and walk ons during the O line decimation time It's a matter of coaching as much as the talent of the players. You know that.
    10 wins = 6-3 conference record in a crappy conference. Maybe that's above average.

I'm not saying young players can't play good, the poont of the article is that tons of recruiting misses hurts your program.

And I do agree that coaching is crucial, I am sure there are some teams who don't experience much attrition that suck because their coaches can't coach.
  • The_UndertakerThe_Undertaker Member Posts: 521

All good poonts Tequilla, to your first poont I should have changed it to "Left Early" or something, that's my bad!

Yeah I'm a little retarded so I had to come read the comments before I could understand the charts. Interesting article.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,152 Founders Club

It would be interesting to check attrition for Boise State while Petersen was there. I bet Stanford is low but I'd best Boise St is even lower.

I feel like someone already did this and BSU had pretty low attrition rates
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,883 Founders Club
    edited October 2014
    We entered the 2001 Rose Bowl a bit nervous because we had two freshmen and a sophomore starting against Drew Brees. But great coaching and scheme were enough that our secondary did just fine.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Oregon has actually done a great job doing due diligence on their players starting with recruiting. I trumpeted the fact that Oregon has gotten 100% of their committed recruits into school for five straight years, and got some flack for it, but that factoid is related to what Cokehead is putting forth here. A recruiting class of 21 where every one gets into school and participates in practice and camp is better than a class of 24 where a few don't get in. Even if the class of 24, if only two or three don't make it, but one of those two or three was at a position of need... you're fucked, you're moving guys around to fill holes, and you have to work that much harder to maintain continuity among the various position groups.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Nowhere else on planet earth can a guy find such in depth analysis on Husky football than here at Hardcore Husky.

Obvious pandering toward KOMO is noted (pm to Derek, I hope you have an iron clad contract with cokegreaterthanpepsi or we may be hearing him trade barbs with Damon Huard on the radio soon)