Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Why We Are Average and the Importance of Attrition

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,380 Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

We will do Boise tomorrow and post the results. I'm actually interested to see if they had more attrition since their last 2 teams haven't been so good. Should be interesting, or not.

I awesome'd this post in lieu of the original so "Hardcore_Husky" doesn't steal your rating. I am interested in what this post has to offer but I don't actually think it is awesome.
    I am awesoming this post because I think YOU are awesome, not the post. Cyber?
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    edited October 2014
    Fenwick said:

Btw, we played a Freshmen and walk ons during the O line decimation time It's a matter of coaching as much as the talent of the players. You know that.

To bring it to point, the Ducks played those two because Rowland, Euscher and Prater had to retire because of injury and the sum of our 2012 offensive line class is one of our starting DEs. If Euscher is still there, the Ducks probably don't lose Arizona. And Crosby is in a position to be really, really good as a senior in 2018, as opposed to really good as a senior in 2017.
    I read it. I liked it. Sark sucks.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,886 Founders Club

Nowhere else on planet earth can a guy find such in depth analysis on Husky football than here at Hardcore Husky.

Obvious pandering toward KOMO is noted (pm to Derek, I hope you have an iron clad contract with cokegreaterthanpepsi or we may be hearing him trade barbs with Damon Huard on the radio soon)

Will we get to hear him go Woo-Yoo! when the Huskies get a 12-yard gain?
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    So... when the call comes from his agent you're gonna just let him walk?

1. Derek runs a sweatshop

or

2. Derek is looking for FREE PUB for the depth of his writing tree.

So... when the call comes from his agent you're gonna just let him walk?

1. Derek runs a sweatshop

or

2. Derek is looking for FREE PUB for the depth of his writing tree.

Both cases show an abundance of MONEY GRAB.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Now that Hardcore Husky has hit the Big Time it's gonna be interesting to see how Derek manages the cap.
    The fact that we haven't had any fund drives recently speaks volumes.
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    I am paid in Cheetos.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,886 Founders Club

I am paid in Cheetos.

Actually, they're Cheesy Puffs.
    Swaye said:

The fact that we haven't had any fund drives recently speaks volumes.

Stay tuned. ;) <<<-----
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646

I am paid in Cheetos.

Actually, they're Cheesy Puffs.
    DAMNIT
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

We entered the 2001 Rose Bowl a bit nervous because we had two freshmen and a sophomore starting against Drew Brees. But great coaching and scheme were enough that our secondary did just fine.

I think we had 3 freshman CB's that got playing time and Carothers was a true freshman at safety. Jimmy Newell also got a little time rotating in at safety and on special teams. Massey was a r-fr, Johnson a true freshman, and Roc Alexander was also a true freshman. They all played well that season. Unfortunately, those guys didn't get much better from their freshman years.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

Nowhere else on planet earth can a guy find such in depth analysis on Husky football than here at Hardcore Husky.

Obvious pandering toward KOMO is noted (pm to Derek, I hope you have an iron clad contract with cokegreaterthanpepsi or we may be hearing him trade barbs with Damon Huard on the radio soon)

Will we get to hear him go Woo-Yoo! when the Huskies get a 12-yard gain?
    Damon needs to go.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    I still think Petersen has a shot at 6-3 in conference. 5-4 is the most likely outcome though.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

I still think Petersen has a shot at 6-3 in conference. 5-4 is the most likely outcome though.

Queue the idiots then that say Sark >>> Petersen
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,493 Standard Supporter
    Good chit, cokeboat, looking forward to you & the missus compiling the rest of the numbers.
    edited October 2014

We entered the 2001 Rose Bowl a bit nervous because we had two freshmen and a sophomore starting against Drew Brees. But great coaching and scheme were enough that our secondary did just fine.

I think we had 3 freshman CB's that got playing time and Carothers was a true freshman at safety. Jimmy Newell also got a little time rotating in at safety and on special teams. Massey was a r-fr, Johnson a true freshman, and Roc Alexander was also a true freshman. They all played well that season. Unfortunately, those guys didn't get much better from their freshman years.
    I stand corrected.
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650

Good stuff. The attrition and lack of redshirts has hurt the program. Sample, Ducre, Kevin Smith, Pio V, etc. Those guys would really help. That is one thing that excites me about Petersen. I don't think Sark cared about the bottom half of his recruiting classes. Petersen does and he really delves into their character, which hopefully leads to less attrition.

I do disagree with some of the article. This team has talent, but it is lacking it at the most important spot, QB. The RB's are pretty bad too. Talent was only one of the reasons we got plungered by Oregon. As I have stated many times, less talented teams than UW's played tough against Oregon. Arizona even beat them. Jake Fisher returning obviously has been a major boon. However, he was not a 25 point difference.

Nobody expected a great team, just a good one that wins 10 games. Let's not move the goalposts now. The fact that we have flaws and youth/talent deficiencies in places shouldn't be news. It was known all along. 10 wins is still feasible and I think there is enough talent to do that. It won't be easy, but if we don't, I certainly won't blame it all on a lack of talent.

5 stars is a good start. If you asked Greenblood or another logical Duck fan, I doubt they would name more than 5 guys who are stars. I suppose who those star players are also matters. I would trade 3 of our stars for Mariota. I don't blame it all on Petersen, but change can be tough. Some guys have taken to it and gotten better. Danny Shelton, Shaq, and John Ross are examples. Others guys have not. Timu and Feeney haven't gotten any better, and are possibly worse. The OL looks no better than it did last year. Up to this point, I can't say we are over achieving with the talent we have, and we are possibly under achieving. There is still a lot of season left though.

Huh? You know TSIO when a previously to be determined conference game in November is scheduled for 10am Saturday.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

I still think this team can win 9 or 10 games if all goes right. But I also don't think there is much talent on this team.

If all goes right..... Great qualifier as always. Things will get better or worse. Depending on how things go.