Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Need ONE ticket to Hamilton

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,908
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Given the historical level of gayness here, kind of surprised at the hating on Broadway.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,554
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Hamilton exists so old white people can pat themselves on the back and tell their adult children that they've listened to rap music.

Kids don't know shit. I was listening when Run DMC and Aerosmith invented rap music.
    Sugar Hill and Grandmaster Flash broke in the 70s
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,359
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Hamilton exists so old white people can pat themselves on the back and tell their adult children that they've listened to rap music.

Kids don't know shit. I was listening when Run DMC and Aerosmith invented rap music.
    Hell, even fucking Blondie had a rap song in the 70’s
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Yeah there was meant to be some obvious irony in that comment. I do think that was a big deal as far as bringing it to the masses though.
    TheHB said:

chuck said:

Dylan had a rap song in 1964.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,908

chuck said:

That was only for us black folk.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,554
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Yeah there was meant to be some obvious irony in that comment. I do think that was a big deal as far as bringing it to the masses though.
    TheHB said:

chuck said:

Dylan had a rap song in 1964.
    I agree. Aerosmith and Run DMC on MTV was a seminal moment
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,491
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    RTD said:

PurpleJ said:

Yo did u know Hamilton was a white guy?

Pretty sure he was Peurto Rican.
    Can confirm. His real name was Alejandro Hamiltón.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,945
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

As a proud holder of a B of A in History from a Public Ivy (hi @creepycoug !!) I would never go to see Hamilton.

Me and other scholars like @pawz like to get our history from thick 800 to 1000 page Chernow authored bios.

Learning history from hip hop Broadway? GTFOH!

I guess I’m not a scholar as you recommended shorter books to me.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,973
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    Standard Supporter

As a proud holder of a B of A in History from a Public Ivy (hi @creepycoug !!) I would never go to see Hamilton.

Me and other scholars like @pawz like to get our history from thick 800 to 1000 page Chernow authored bios.

I also hold history credentials from the same fine institution, and while the musical butchers most facts about Hamilton’s life, I take the opposite stance.

I happily saw the musical, which I enjoyed, and was thrilled it’s served as a “gateway drug” for many young people and got them interested in the subject again.

Sadly in this era of misinformation and overemphasis on STEM, fields vital to our society like history, civics, and philosophy need the FREE PUB!
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Given the historical level of gayness here, kind of surprised at the hating on Broadway.

Maybe they’re just big 1776 fans.

https://youtu.be/AK1hX_j0-E4?si=NVkBy7CvQCV5IwzE?t=04m55s
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 782
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    chuck said:

Subterrainian Homesick Blues - Dylan invented rap.https://youtu.be/MGxjIBEZvx0?si=YIy3PbUq_tTzltZi
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I also hold history credentials from the same fine institution, and while the musical butchers most facts about Hamilton’s life, I take the opposite stance.

I happily saw the musical, which I enjoyed, and was thrilled it’s served as a “gateway drug” for many young people and got them interested in the subject again.

Sadly in this era of misinformation and overemphasis on STEM, fields vital to our society like history, civics, and philosophy need the FREE PUB!
    I took an intro to philosophy class, and it was a big revelation. I thought it would just be an easy GUR, but it ended up being somewhat life-changing. First few weeks of the class were all about basic boolean logic. Turns out debate is nothing but math in another language, and fuck the public school system for not addressing this sooner!

I'm not going to go as far as saying that a philosophy degree is useful in 2024, but I will say that not teaching basic logic to, say, middle-schoolers is perhaps the biggest failing of the education system in our country. Not teaching kids how easy it is to manipulate people with logic has to be the biggest contributor to the negative aspects of society that I can think of.
    Yes! I’m in no way saying that people should be majoring in philosophy, but taking a free course on it via Khan Academy or even watching the series “The Good Place” (a comedy that delves into moral philosophy) is a GOOD thing because that curriculum was completely gutted by most places. It’s the study of knowledge and the meaning of life for fuck sake, and that’s where everything should start.
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 782
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

I took an intro to philosophy class, and it was a big revelation. I thought it would just be an easy GUR, but it ended up being somewhat life-changing. First few weeks of the class were all about basic boolean logic. Turns out debate is nothing but math in another language, and fuck the public school system for not addressing this sooner!

I'm not going to go as far as saying that a philosophy degree is useful in 2024, but I will say that not teaching basic logic to, say, middle-schoolers is perhaps the biggest failing of the education system in our country. Not teaching kids how easy it is to manipulate people with logic has to be the biggest contributor to the negative aspects of society that I can think of.
    Yes! I’m in no way saying that people should be majoring in philosophy, but taking a free course on it via Khan Academy or even watching the series “The Good Place” (a comedy that delves into moral philosophy) is a GOOD thing because that curriculum was completely gutted by most places. It’s the study of knowledge and the meaning of life for fuck sake, and that’s where everything should start.
    I happen to agree with you, but I know that 81% of the country would say that it starts with Jesus, or with saying that slavery was beneficial to everyone.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Yep. Good post.

It’s still relevant and useful because it teaches you how to think and write critically. Most people don’t earn their living doing something they specifically studied in college.
    My father once said reading philosophy made him a better lawyer. And his undergraduate history classes taught him how to write.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I happen to agree with you, but I know that 81% of the country would say that it starts with Jesus, or with saying that slavery was beneficial to everyone.
    Well, many of the OG philosophers were slave holders AND big into god(s)!

I guess to circle back to Hamilton (we still haven’t found that extra ticket for @PurpleBaze BTW), it just sucks that it takes a hip-hop musical to make learning/our? past interesting or cool.

But I’m a big fucking nerd, and tore through that Chernow book in a weekend.