Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Need ONE ticket to Hamilton

Comments

• Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Seriously mods, give this thread the Old Yeller treatment.

DISAGREE!

Threads about broadway musicals, philosophy, parenting, tech bro dick measuring contests, and book club recommendations all have their place here.

Especially on the eve of quite literally the most important Husky football game in 30+ years.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

DISAGREE!

Threads about broadway musicals, philosophy, parenting, tech bro dick measuring contests, and book club recommendations all have their place here.

Especially on the eve of quite literally the most important Husky football game in 30+ years.
    All y'all lead miserable and pathetic lives.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,841
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

pawz said:

As a proud holder of a B of A in History from a Public Ivy (hi @creepycoug !!) I would never go to see Hamilton.

Me and other scholars like @pawz like to get our history from thick 800 to 1000 page Chernow authored bios.

Learning history from hip hop Broadway? GTFOH!

I also hold history credentials from the same fine institution, and while the musical butchers most facts about Hamilton’s life, I take the opposite stance.

I happily saw the musical, which I enjoyed, and was thrilled it’s served as a “gateway drug” for many young people and got them interested in the subject again.

Sadly in this era of misinformation and overemphasis on STEM, fields vital to our society like history, civics, and philosophy need the FREE PUB!
    I took an intro to philosophy class, and it was a big revelation. I thought it would just be an easy GUR, but it ended up being somewhat life-changing. First few weeks of the class were all about basic boolean logic. Turns out debate is nothing but math in another language, and fuck the public school system for not addressing this sooner!

I'm not going to go as far as saying that a philosophy degree is useful in 2024, but I will say that not teaching basic logic to, say, middle-schoolers is perhaps the biggest failing of the education system in our country. Not teaching kids how easy it is to manipulate people with logic has to be the biggest contributor to the negative aspects of society that I can think of.
    Yes! I’m in no way saying that people should be majoring in philosophy, but taking a free course on it via Khan Academy or even watching the series “The Good Place” (a comedy that delves into moral philosophy) is a GOOD thing because that curriculum was completely gutted by most places. It’s the study of knowledge and the meaning of life for fuck sake, and that’s where everything should start.
    I happen to agree with you, but I know that 81% of the country would say that it starts with Jesus, or with saying that slavery was beneficial to everyone.
    Well, many of the OG philosophers were slave holders AND big into god(s)!

I guess to circle back to Hamilton (we still haven’t found that extra ticket for @PurpleBaze BTW), it just sucks that it takes a hip-hop musical to make learning/our? past interesting or cool.

But I’m a big fucking nerd, and tore through that Chernow book in a weekend.
    Nerd or not, how the fuck did you do that?? Both Washington and Hamilton each took me 2+ months and I read faster than most.

A combination of Audible/Hoopla/Overdrive (I listen to audiobooks in the car/gym/work) and sometimes horrible insomnia (if I can’t sleep, I read). If I have the book on Kindle, Whispersync allows me to switch off between the two.

But you really want to get your pro tips from @GrundleStiltzkin. He puts my reading abilities to shame.
    IIRC, @GrundleStiltzkin listens at 1.5x or 2x speed. While super efficient, I just don't enjoy listening that fast.

• Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,841
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

DISAGREE!

All y'all lead miserable and pathetic lives.
    And ?

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

DISAGREE!

Makes dwag sense.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    pawz said:

pawz said:

As a proud holder of a B of A in History from a Public Ivy (hi @creepycoug !!) I would never go to see Hamilton.

Me and other scholars like @pawz like to get our history from thick 800 to 1000 page Chernow authored bios.

I also hold history credentials from the same fine institution, and while the musical butchers most facts about Hamilton’s life, I take the opposite stance.

I happily saw the musical, which I enjoyed, and was thrilled it’s served as a “gateway drug” for many young people and got them interested in the subject again.

Sadly in this era of misinformation and overemphasis on STEM, fields vital to our society like history, civics, and philosophy need the FREE PUB!
    I took an intro to philosophy class, and it was a big revelation. I thought it would just be an easy GUR, but it ended up being somewhat life-changing. First few weeks of the class were all about basic boolean logic. Turns out debate is nothing but math in another language, and fuck the public school system for not addressing this sooner!

I'm not going to go as far as saying that a philosophy degree is useful in 2024, but I will say that not teaching basic logic to, say, middle-schoolers is perhaps the biggest failing of the education system in our country. Not teaching kids how easy it is to manipulate people with logic has to be the biggest contributor to the negative aspects of society that I can think of.
    Yes! I’m in no way saying that people should be majoring in philosophy, but taking a free course on it via Khan Academy or even watching the series “The Good Place” (a comedy that delves into moral philosophy) is a GOOD thing because that curriculum was completely gutted by most places. It’s the study of knowledge and the meaning of life for fuck sake, and that’s where everything should start.
    I happen to agree with you, but I know that 81% of the country would say that it starts with Jesus, or with saying that slavery was beneficial to everyone.
    Well, many of the OG philosophers were slave holders AND big into god(s)!

I guess to circle back to Hamilton (we still haven’t found that extra ticket for @PurpleBaze BTW), it just sucks that it takes a hip-hop musical to make learning/our? past interesting or cool.

But I’m a big fucking nerd, and tore through that Chernow book in a weekend.
    Nerd or not, how the fuck did you do that?? Both Washington and Hamilton each took me 2+ months and I read faster than most.

A combination of Audible/Hoopla/Overdrive (I listen to audiobooks in the car/gym/work) and sometimes horrible insomnia (if I can’t sleep, I read). If I have the book on Kindle, Whispersync allows me to switch off between the two.

But you really want to get your pro tips from @GrundleStiltzkin. He puts my reading abilities to shame.
    IIRC, @GrundleStiltzkin listens at 1.5x or 2x speed. While super efficient, I just don't enjoy listening that fast.

Shoutout to my superior comprehension and synthesis.

Now, mods, the kneadful.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,301
    Swaye's Wigwam

Delete

this thread.

Saw thread, saw multiple pages, thought it must be funny.

Not even funny get your popcorn aids.

Just regular boring aids.

Hamilton sucks.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,886
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    pawz said:

TITTT warning.

I couldn't agree more. I tell anyone who will listen modern education is about 'memorize and regurgitate' as opposed to thinking about what they are seeing/reading/watching. There is zero interest in teaching kids HOW to think.

Apply that reality to what gets fed to them via legacy news sources - regardless a preferred side of the aisle. So many go-along, get-along morons today. Far more than ever before. It's how people in power keep and maintain control. A generation of worthless puppets. Sad, really.

I think it's always been that way. Our education system was originally imported from Prussia about 200 years ago, IIRC.

Basically, it's set up for conformity and obedient workers, not critical thinkers. That's the way the Morgans, Vanderbilts, and Rockefellers want it, and that's how today's tech dork robber barons want it too.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Delete

this thread.

Saw thread, saw multiple pages, thought it must be funny.

Not even funny get your popcorn aids.

Just regular boring aids.

Hamilton sucks.
    There’s a small part of me that wants to tend to this thread like some kind of Malarkey Hestia.

I’m sure I’ll get bored though and the flame will die out.
  • Options
    HuskyBuckHuskyBuck Member Posts: 839
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited January 8
    I didn’t mean to talk about my Tech big dick but…..it is VERY big
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Any word on the Hamilton Ticket fees? Have them come down yet?
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

this kind of implies I'm stabbing Bazey for dissing Hamilton, doesn't it? I think I cocked up the joke
    Always a pissibility when joking the cock instead of jerking.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Houhusky said:

Any word on the Hamilton Ticket fees? Have them come down yet?

Still pretty spendy at $350 a seat, orchestra level, in NYC.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,572
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Hamilton exists so old white people can pat themselves on the back and tell their adult children that they've listened to rap music.

Kids don't know shit. I was listening when Run DMC and Aerosmith invented rap music.
    Sugar Hill and Grandmaster Flash broke in the 70s
    Broken glass everywhere. People pissin on the stairs like they just don’t care. Prophetic.
  • Options
    edited January 8

HuskyBuck said:

In my experience, if you really have a big dick, you don’t have to say you have one.
    In your experience huh? It was probably just a "college thing" for you, eh Doogy?

Edit: 4 people liked your post. I guess they've had the same experience of seeing dicks!
  • Options
    pawz said:

HuskyBuck said:

In my world selling real estate in West Bellevue, dime a dozen. Unimpressive, really.

I always find it funny when a client thinks they are the only ones who have money. Next.

You're a male real estate agent? Kim, is that you??