Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Need ONE ticket to Hamilton

Comments

• Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,323
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 7
    Mad_Son said:

Why shouldn't people major in philosophy? We need more people with that.. er.. skillet?... but for real, people can't write or think when they graduate college today. 22 year old will always be idiots, they may as well have those capabilities. Some engineers (few, but some) figure out real world problem solving and looking for solutions where you weren't already told the end result which is great and the other end of the practical skills spectrum.

Let me be the first to backtrack on that notion. I guess I only took a single philosophy class and was extrapolating. That class was probably the single most valuable that I took in college, but I got the impression it would be diminishing returns past that as far as building a whole major around it. Introductory philosophy was a revelation. So was introductory law. So was econ in the sense that ALL of these subjects can be broken down to just math in a different language. When seen that way, it's simplified.

Liberal arts degrees are shat all over these days, but I think that's only because the cost has skyrocketed to the point where the cost of the degree is disproportional to the monetary benefit, and our culture increasingly devalues traits that don't directly add monetary value. Coming from someone who's college major has basically nothing to do with his current jerb, what's wrong with being a person that has a grasp of logic and history?

My limited experience led me to believe that if one wanted to crush the LSAT and go to law school, philosophy and history should be the focus of undergrad. I think the same is true for the random schmuck that doesn't mind dropping six figures to be a more well-rounded person before becoming grist for the mill ("present!"). Want to be an engineer, doctor, banker, programmer, etc., there are too many other requirements to focus on, but at least a basic understanding of logic and history should not be optional.
  • Options
    HuskyBuckHuskyBuck Member Posts: 839
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    I took my computer science degree to Amazon and make a $1 million dollars total comp. Soooo those C++ classes do pay off.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,638
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Hamilton exists so old white people can pat themselves on the back and tell their adult children that they've listened to rap music.

Kids don't know shit. I was listening when Run DMC and Aerosmith invented rap music.
    Subterrainian Homesick Blues - Dylan invented rap.https://youtu.be/MGxjIBEZvx0?si=YIy3PbUq_tTzltZi
    Hence my comment that he had a rap song in 1964.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,368
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Got a liberal arts education at UW and ended up doing just as well, if not better, than my electrical engineering buddies — financially, emotionally and socially.

This was back in the day when EVERYONE! laffed and called you names if you weren’t getting a technical education.

To all those, I have enjoyed one extended fuck you.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,564
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 7
    HuskyBuck said:

I took my computer science degree to Amazon and make a $1 million dollars total comp. Soooo those C++ classes do pay off.

No one said those aren't still really valuable, but we?ve fired our fair share of people with them because they couldn't do the things I posted above very well.
  • Options
    Just want to get the word out there. It makes me cringe when people make the argument that getting educated in tech isn’t worth it. It DOES pay, even if you’re not working for a big tech company.

We’ll see how AI plays out and changes things but it is a lucrative field at the moment (if you don’t get laid off)
  • Options
    edited January 7
    lol why would you thumbs down me for that? I’m trying to give decent advice. No one said a philosophy class while getting your degree is a bad idea, I’m disputing you dismissing C++ classes

Tech is still a good field to be in and many out there don’t realize how good it is.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,564
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 7
    HuskyBuck said:

lol why would you thumbs down me for that? I’m trying to give decent advice. No one said a philosophy class while getting your degree is a bad idea, I’m disputing you dismissing C++ classes

Tech is still a good field to be in and many out there don’t realize how good it is.

CS here. Pretty sure most people realize it's still valuable given the investment and application volumes has only grown.

Did C, Python, Java, JS and some basic SQL.

You don't need to do those degrees in college to learn the languages anymore. Ana there's still some irrelevant classes you have to take because everyone except Cal and Stanford needs ABET accreditation.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

As a proud holder of a B of A in History from a Public Ivy (hi @creepycoug !!) I would never go to see Hamilton.

Me and other scholars like @pawz like to get our history from thick 800 to 1000 page Chernow authored bios.

Learning history from hip hop Broadway? GTFOH!

It is not a fucking history lesson, just a fucking play. I bet you are the type a parent that lets lil piss pissaway his day on an iPad
  • Options
    HuskyBuck said:

Wow, this flex is worse than Kim’s flex about being one row before business class.

Wow, @TheHB even you trying flex with this bull shit. I thought you were not a complete fucking loser
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,368
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FireCohen said:

HuskyBuck said:

Wow, this flex is worse than Kim’s flex about being one row before business class.

Wow, @TheHB even you trying flex with this bull shit. I thought you were not a complete fucking loser

• Options
    HuskyBuck said:

Just want to get the word out there. It makes me cringe when people make the argument that getting educated in tech isn’t worth it. It DOES pay, even if you’re not working for a big tech company.

We’ll see how AI plays out and changes things but it is a lucrative field at the moment (if you don’t get laid off)

wtf are you talking about? No one is saying this, you are just making bullshit up
  • Options
    HuskyBuck said:

wtf are you talking about? No one is saying this, you are just making bullshit up
  • Options
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

HuskyBuck said:

Not a flex when it’s true. Admittedly I should have used “a friend” instead of me but don’t take your insecurities out on me.
  • Options
    HuskyBuck said:

FireCohen said:

HuskyBuck said:

Not a flex when it’s true. Admittedly I should have used “a friend” instead of me but don’t take your insecurities out on me.
    Sure Kim
  • Options

Writing "$1 million dollars" is redundant.

My bad….I didn’t realize the fragile egos on this board. I’ll be better.