Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Inflation

124»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited January 2021

Inflation is controlled, encouraged, and determined by the Rothschild Federal Reserve Private Banking Cartel, which was illegally created on the aptly named Jekyll Island by a cabal of treasonous politicians and bankers last century. The Federal Reserve and its system of inflation and debt slavery was created to control the United States from the City of London. Money backed by nothing. Richard Nixon then sold the World Fiat Currency, which resulted in the creation of the Euro. The Federal Reserve encourages inflation because its publicly stated mission is to achieve 'maximum employment.' It's private mission is of course, slavery. In the United States, because of the inflation encouraged by the Federal Reserve, it now typically takes two adults working full time in a household to buy the same things that could be bought by one working adult in the past.

The Central Bank system is currently collapsing, which is why Professor Schwab, Prince Charles and other demonic folks in positions of unchecked power are advocating for the Great Reset and the culling of billions.

The Federal Reserve is an intractable fiend, along with the other Central Banks. The US Petro Dollar will be the World Currency no longer, as nations like Russia have joined BRICS to re-create money backed by gold.

Alright, I'll play. Connect a few dots for me:

1. how did leaving the gold standard result in the Euro?

2. you make an interesting point about two-family earners. but could the real answer be that, over time, more women started attending college and also started wanting real careers? when enough of that happens, you have family economic units competing in a free market. they drive up demand for goods and services and the prices go up. the only family units that can afford to have mommy at home are guys who make a given amount of money. couldn't this just be a result of free market economics as affected by the free will of its market participants?

3. what do you make of bankers? what is wrong with a market actor whose "sole object is gain"? why is that a problem?

Bankers play a role in the economy because they help make it work. Otherwise, they wouldn't exist. When they don't play by the rules, it's another matter. But when they do, tell me why their "sole pursuit" of gain is a problem? Are you saying they should be concerned with the collective good?
  • Options

After all of these good posts, I'm still left with the basic question: when do I know that I'm looking at inflation? What bundle of goods represents the right cross-section of the economy to tell us?

Is COVID making too much smoke, as has been alluded in the thread, to really tell? I.e., cranked up demand and fucked up supply lines, etc.?

When do you know? Or, is it not a very precise concept in economics? I really don't know.

Depress yourself by reading http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

Should be interesting reading the next year, esp if the rumors of a $2 trillion “stimulus” are true.

@HoustonHusky , ok, sufficiently depressed. In your view, is the pre-1980 adjustment measure more accurate? You mentioned that some of the adjustments in methodology were legit.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    @HoustonHusky - At a high level, real inflation to me means that real currency, however denominated, no longer reflects the same buying power in a given state of the economy. You're always going to have different elements of the economy that are pushing out ahead of other things, and so long as that is driven by legitimate market forces, I score those outliers as simply getting more expensive. As long as it's real - the demand is real for economically rational reasons - I don't think of it as inflation.

I think of post WWI Germany as the classic brand of inflation about which everyone has nightmares. You wake up one day, and your currency means nothing to everybody because your economy is dead or dying. The paper in your hand is a proxy to nothing.

I think about it the same way I think about stocks and stock dilution. We never say 5 shares is better than 3 shares. We say, "shares of what?" And issuing more shares isn't a problem as long as the thing in which you have shares is growing. I was recruited to work at Amazon a few years ago (didn't take it; still have mixed feelings), and it was the first I'd really heard of their pay model. I was going to be paid a salary that represented about 1/2 of my then-current salary, and the rest in RSUs. Literally using RSUs as salary. I thought, JFC how long can you keep this up? It's analogous to the Fed printing money. They just keep issuing the shares.

Of course, when growth stalls, they'll have to stop doing that immediately and pay people in dollars like everybody else.

I think of it those situations as analogous. If we're flooding the system with dollars and there's no real economic activity behind it, then I think we have a problem. But measuring prices of things, alone, seems to leave out important context.

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    One thing on the Amazon side is that the RSUs dont really result in dilution as long as there is a medium to secure those units
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

One thing on the Amazon side is that the RSUs dont really result in dilution as long as there is a medium to secure those units

What do you mean? As long as the holder gets the underlying stock on vesting you have more shares outstanding. What am I missing ?
  • Options

Inflation is controlled, encouraged, and determined by the Rothschild Federal Reserve Private Banking Cartel, which was illegally created on the aptly named Jekyll Island by a cabal of treasonous politicians and bankers last century. The Federal Reserve and its system of inflation and debt slavery was created to control the United States from the City of London. Money backed by nothing. Richard Nixon then sold the World Fiat Currency, which resulted in the creation of the Euro. The Federal Reserve encourages inflation because its publicly stated mission is to achieve 'maximum employment.' It's private mission is of course, slavery. In the United States, because of the inflation encouraged by the Federal Reserve, it now typically takes two adults working full time in a household to buy the same things that could be bought by one working adult in the past.

The Central Bank system is currently collapsing, which is why Professor Schwab, Prince Charles and other demonic folks in positions of unchecked power are advocating for the Great Reset and the culling of billions.

The Federal Reserve is an intractable fiend, along with the other Central Banks. The US Petro Dollar will be the World Currency no longer, as nations like Russia have joined BRICS to re-create money backed by gold.

Hey @oregonblitzkrieg what is your take on the ‘69 Château Lafite Rothschild?
    Take it to the viticulture board @YellowSnow . We're all about making the money here on the Finance board. The spending it board is elsewhere.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

What do you mean? As long as the holder gets the underlying stock on vesting you have more shares outstanding. What am I missing ?
    Company doing share buybacks covering the RSUs
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Company doing share buybacks covering the RSUs
    Ah got it. Yes makes sense.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

The Rockefeller Foundation were the original funders the feminist movement, which resulted in more women attending college and entering the workforce, because the Central Banks understood that they couldn't tax half the population. This also served to gets kids into school, aka Government Indoctrination Centers, at an earlier age, in order to inculcate the idea of the state as the family. The CIA also used feminism to help destabilize society, in concert with the Federal Reserve. The destabilization of society began with the destabilization of the family unit.

Central Banks are the enemy, not ordinary bankers out for their own gain. Their sole object of the Central Banking System is the enslavement of societies through debt, inflation and taxation. Central Banks play a central role in the Communist Manifesto. Their ultimate goal is to create a One World Government run by the Central Banks.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Hey @oregonblitzkrieg what is your take on the ‘69 Château Lafite Rothschild?
    Cab that drinks like a merlot
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

After all of these good posts, I'm still left with the basic question: when do I know that I'm looking at inflation? What bundle of goods represents the right cross-section of the economy to tell us?

Is COVID making too much smoke, as has been alluded in the thread, to really tell? I.e., cranked up demand and fucked up supply lines, etc.?

When do you know? Or, is it not a very precise concept in economics? I really don't know.

Depress yourself by reading http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

Should be interesting reading the next year, esp if the rumors of a $2 trillion “stimulus” are true.

@HoustonHusky , ok, sufficiently depressed. In your view, is the pre-1980 adjustment measure more accurate? You mentioned that some of the adjustments in methodology were legit.
    Here is there full description of it...
    http://www.shadowstats.com/article/no-438-public-comment-on-inflation-measurement.
    The idea low interest rates allows increased purchasing power is agreeable and trying to account for that makes sense...the idea if one product gets expensive you would switch makes sense in theory...the idea of compensating by purchasing inferior doesn’t (ie the steak is expensive so I’m buying hamburgers). Same with the idea of discounting new items because they are superior.

I like to look at it this way...it is beneficial to everyone in govt to have the CPI underreporting...makes unfounded Social Security a little less expensive going forward while making GDP growth seem bigger than it is. Anyone think with that pretext when the calculation was redone it would come back showing higher numbers?

Another way to look at it from the 10,000 foot level...has the gap between people with assets and the people without assets been growing or shrinking relative to the reported inflation numbers since 1990?