Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Husky Jacks open thread [2020]

Comments

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,757
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

dnc said:
    Absolute proof and a reminder that 99 times out of a 100, Goliath Stomps David's ass. Peterson bet on David way too often.
    We aren’t David. We put tons of guys in the NFL. When we were David, we went 12-2 and played Bama. We got worse as we got more Goliath’s (mostly overrated, low 4 star recruits). If you expect UW to out recruit Ohio State, you’re going to be forever disappointed.
    Referring to game plans and play-calling, not recruiting. UW was Goliath within the Pac12 when they went 12-2, because UW clicked on both sides of the ball that season. But UW was David in comparison to Bama, Penn State and OSU where the law of averages always favored Goliath.

David = Trickery, deception, and doing the unexpected to stay in the game and maybe steal it. Think Pete's Fiesta Bowl win vs. Oklahoma. David won that one, but no other NY6 Bowl contests thereafter.
    Pete won the Fiesta again in January, 2010
    Beat TCU, the other big mid major program at the time. Someone will say it doesn’t count.
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it's useless to focus on how many guys make the NFL, how many first downs, how many yards and time of possession as bright spots when a program cannot get over the hump and win the big games it needs to win to become elite.

The 2019 Rose Bowl was not even close until the last 40 seconds where an on-side kick would have to be recovered just to have the chance at a most prayerful Hail Mary. What are the odds of those two things happening? 1 in 10,000? It's like saying the game wasn't lost until the last play of the game. Problem is that's true in every game whether the final score is 7-6 or 55-0. Technically and actually, no game in any sport is lost until the "final play" or the clock runs out, but that doesn't turn an ass-whipping into a close game.
    A one score game with a minute to go is a somewhat close game. This is a dumb argument. Why do you care this much? Losing maybe your best defensive player that started as a rookie in the NFL to a QB and passing attack that threw for 50 TD’s is a big deal. Especially when he’s replaced by a FCS/WAC type of player.
    Why? Because you're deluding yourself, and it's stupid. Respectable losing is losing, period. And I'm tired of the excuses and but, but, buts, year after year after year.

Impressive comebacks that fall short, whether earned by grit or allowed by the other team "letting up" are still losses. And failures.

UW had more first downs and more time of possession, too. Does that mean UW was in OSU's class? Fuck No. Because they weren't. OSU sliced through the UW's vaunted D like a hot knife through butter to a 28-3 lead in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Look at the red lines in the ESPN probability boxes above. They don't pull those numbers out of thin air. If nothing else convinces you that UW had zero chance of winning that game at halftime, I rest my case and you can continue deluding yourself about the state of the program.

"Look at the bright side" is what losers say.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

Thank goodness we are still GRINDING

oh fun!
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,325
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The skwaad's definition of "distancing" seems a little off...
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,757
    edited April 2020

dnc said:

dnc said:
    Absolute proof and a reminder that 99 times out of a 100, Goliath Stomps David's ass. Peterson bet on David way too often.
    We aren’t David. We put tons of guys in the NFL. When we were David, we went 12-2 and played Bama. We got worse as we got more Goliath’s (mostly overrated, low 4 star recruits). If you expect UW to out recruit Ohio State, you’re going to be forever disappointed.
    Referring to game plans and play-calling, not recruiting. UW was Goliath within the Pac12 when they went 12-2, because UW clicked on both sides of the ball that season. But UW was David in comparison to Bama, Penn State and OSU where the law of averages always favored Goliath.

David = Trickery, deception, and doing the unexpected to stay in the game and maybe steal it. Think Pete's Fiesta Bowl win vs. Oklahoma. David won that one, but no other NY6 Bowl contests thereafter.
    Pete won the Fiesta again in January, 2010
    Beat TCU, the other big mid major program at the time. Someone will say it doesn’t count.
    I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying it's useless to focus on how many guys make the NFL, how many first downs, how many yards and time of possession as bright spots when a program cannot get over the hump and win the big games it needs to win to become elite.

The 2019 Rose Bowl was not even close until the last 40 seconds where an on-side kick would have to be recovered just to have the chance at a most prayerful Hail Mary. What are the odds of those two things happening? 1 in 10,000? It's like saying the game wasn't lost until the last play of the game. Problem is that's true in every game whether the final score is 7-6 or 55-0. Technically and actually, no game in any sport is lost until the "final play" or the clock runs out, but that doesn't turn an ass-whipping into a close game.
    A one score game with a minute to go is a somewhat close game. This is a dumb argument. Why do you care this much? Losing maybe your best defensive player that started as a rookie in the NFL to a QB and passing attack that threw for 50 TD’s is a big deal. Especially when he’s replaced by a FCS/WAC type of player.
    Why? Because you're deluding yourself, and it's stupid. Respectable losing is losing, period. And I'm tired of the excuses and but, but, buts, year after year after year.

Impressive comebacks that fall short, whether earned by grit or allowed by the other team "letting up" are still losses. And failures.

UW had more first downs and more time of possession, too. Does that mean UW was in OSU's class? Fuck No. Because they weren't. OSU sliced through the UW's vaunted D like a hot knife through butter to a 28-3 lead in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

Look at the red lines in the ESPN probability boxes above. They don't pull those numbers out of thin air. If nothing else convinces you that UW had zero chance of winning that game at halftime, I rest my case and you can continue deluding yourself about the state of the program.

"Look at the bright side" is what losers say.
    Never said half that shit. Said we would have had more of a chance with Rapp and we would have.
    You said it was a close game when it wasn't, as though Rapp might've been the difference maker. I disagree with that conclusion for this reason: OSU was so dominant over UW in all aspects of the game in the first half, that if Rapp had single-handedly stopped critical plays or drives, OSU would've successfully schemed around him.

The larger point being that while UW has flirted with the elite tier once, it is not an elite program as demonstrated by it's inability to show up and compete in 3 NY6 Bowls. It remains a program that is a lot further than one good NFL prospect away from competing with the bigs.

I'm sure Rapp would have impacted the game had he played. Would he have made a difference? Doubtful given all the mismatches and how badly UW got outplayed as OSU ran up the score.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,006
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Blocked from seeing this tweet... WTF? Oh ya, I told his sorry ass how much he sucks at coaching special teams, LB’s and recruiting.

Shouldn’t be employed at udub. Thin skinned bitch considering he coached college football.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    1:45, Bob Gregory and Lake celebrating.

“Yeah, but it looks like Lake is leaning away and doesn’t really want Bob around him.”
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,733
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Even the Cuogs have played at UT
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,733
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tin soldiers and Nixon coming,
    We're finally on our own.
    Too soon