Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chris Steele

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Oregon is fucking doing the damn thing in recruiting. If we recruited just 50% more like Oregon, we'd be Clemson. Instead we are going to be Stanford. Woohoo.

I'm not sure whether Cristobal can really coach. I don't know what's going to happen when they have success, etc... but he understands what they understand in the SEC: it's about getting a roster stacked with talent. That is the first step.

They are doing that. I wish we'd gotten Chris Steele, Kayvon and whomever else. DJ Johnson, etc.

If Cristobal is an average coach, then they will probably end up looking like USC or UCLA under Mora or Ole Miss under Hugh Freeze I think is a good comparison point.

If he gets good OCs and DCs he can be a really good coach. If that's the case, they are going to be Clemson west and we are going to be Harbaugh/Early Shaw-era Stanford.

Every year it will get easier for them to get talent. They care about it and they value it. Last year they got 50% of USC's normal class and 50% of UCLA's normal class.

Anyone that thinks they aren't a threat with this amount of talent and the recruiting juggernaut they are is fucking stupid.

I'm not saying they are going to win Natties with Cristobal. But unless he's a tard, with this talent, they should be pretty good.

Can he sustain? Handle success? Etc... who fucking knows?

Dude, we already know their coaching staff sucks at actually coaching. What happened against WSU, Arizona, and Utah were total debacles for Oregon. Their coaches got them all hyped up for the Stanford and UW games and then after those games they didn't have much left in the tank. That's some retarded Sark bullshit. Get the kids all hyped up for the big home games, and then shit themselves on the road when you can't replicate that same level of energy.

They are not doing shit in recruiting after they get exposed on the field this season. They will finish the regular season no better than 7-5 with a first round QB. Half their class will decommit, again. Just wait on it. UW under Sark. UCLA under Mora. USC under Kiffin, Sark, Helton. Tennessee under Butch Jones. Whatever comparison you want to use, they all fit. That's Oregon under Cristobal. Personally, I think Tennessee under Butch Jones is the best comparison because they recruit like the $EC in now and Cristobal is a loud mouthed arrogant prick like Butch Jones.

They suck at coaching and they're not bringing in better talent than UW. They're getting some talented guys but overall they're still weak at recruiting certain positions like ILB, D-line, WR (overrated WR recruits) and O-line (too many fat asses).
    What you saw with WSU and Arizona is pretty common with a young team with a less experienced coaching staff. Against WSU, Oregon came out flat from an emotional victory the week prior in an overtime game no less. I would actually like see what the win percentage is for teams that travel the following week after an overtime game. Even though they came out flat, Oregon did adjust well and got within a TD late from being down 27-0 at half. A great effort on a huge third down play for 37 yards on WSU's final drive prevented Oregon from having a game tying drive late.

Then they traveled the next week to Arizona, and had to try and dig themselves out of a deflating loss against WSU, this is where in a young team, the wheels can fall off (and they did). Even if it's common, the coaching staff needed to do better there. Oregon did not come out ready to play at all, and were mentally still in Pullman. For a first year coach, I'll let that slide, but it shouldn't happen again.

Utah? Shit, they should have won, but I wouldn't call it a debacle. UW played essentially the same team a couple weeks later and needed a pick six to win it.

Cristobal showed flashes at times during the season. Two specific moments:

1) He called a key timeout in the first half against Stanford. The analyst were mocking it, but it turned it useful on a third and goal adjustment that lead to a touchdown.

2) The most remembered one was the game winning touchdown run. Third and goal from the 6, Washington tipped their hat that they were in man coverage with help on Dillon Mitchell. Cristobal called timeout and adjusted the play call from a pass to a run, and set that up by putting Mitchell in motion which drew 2 Washington defenders out of the play giving Oregon a one man advantage on the right side of the line of scrimmage. As the Mitchell went into motion, Oregon ran it right behind the trailing Washington defenders for a walk in score.

Cristobal was far from perfect, but he did show me that he wasn't completely incompetent. He at times could adjust to what the opponent was doing. This is a prove it year for Mario. Oregon will need to take a step forward or that seat is going to be pretty warm in 2020.
    Lol, what a role reversal. Now Oregon fans are the ones making excuses about being young with an inexperienced coaching staff. Hmm, I remember them laughing at us when we said that about Sark's staff and roster. Everything you just posted is a bunch of bullshit excuses doogs used to say. "They came out flat after an emotional victory"and "had to try to dig themselves out of a deflating loss" and "young team". Holy shit that's amazing.

Oregon wasn't even that young. Veteran O-line outside of the LT. Junior at QB. Returning starters at WR and TE. Starting front seven were all returning starters. Entire secondary were returning starters. Most were Sophomores but they weren't first year starters. You were young at LT and RB and kinda young in the secondary and that's about it. Your best players were mostly Helfrich recruited veterans: Herbert, Dye, Amadi, Jelks, Hollins, Mitchell, and 3/5's of the O-line. Oregon was more veteran last season than young.
    So we had veterans at 9 of 22 positions. Sounds young to me. And yes, a second year player with no real solid veteran leadership at his position is considered young.

Most Oregon fans didn't say shit during Sark's first season, it was the end of his second season when the talk started. I'm still LIPO on Cristobal's coaching. His recruiting is excellent and only you disagree, because you're a dipshit. Cristobal was Taggart's head recruiter, and kept 90% of the class together when Taggart bolted. He then proceeded to post a top 10 class off a 9-4 season. Cristobal was not great year 1 as a coach but he wasn't horrible either. I think we'll know this year how good or bad he is. However, even if he's just average, the talent he's bringing in would make Oregon relevant. He would have to be a moron otherwise, and such would be gone.
  • Options
    BallzBallz Member Posts: 4,735
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs
    edited May 2019
    lawsandl said:

Oregon is fucking doing the damn thing in recruiting. If we recruited just 50% more like Oregon, we'd be Clemson. Instead we are going to be Stanford. Woohoo.

I'm not sure whether Cristobal can really coach. I don't know what's going to happen when they have success, etc... but he understands what they understand in the SEC: it's about getting a roster stacked with talent. That is the first step.

They are doing that. I wish we'd gotten Chris Steele, Kayvon and whomever else. DJ Johnson, etc.

If Cristobal is an average coach, then they will probably end up looking like USC or UCLA under Mora or Ole Miss under Hugh Freeze I think is a good comparison point.

If he gets good OCs and DCs he can be a really good coach. If that's the case, they are going to be Clemson west and we are going to be Harbaugh/Early Shaw-era Stanford.

Every year it will get easier for them to get talent. They care about it and they value it. Last year they got 50% of USC's normal class and 50% of UCLA's normal class.

Anyone that thinks they aren't a threat with this amount of talent and the recruiting juggernaut they are is fucking stupid.

I'm not saying they are going to win Natties with Cristobal. But unless he's a tard, with this talent, they should be pretty good.

Dude, we already know their coaching staff sucks at actually coaching. What happened against WSU, Arizona, and Utah were total debacles for Oregon. Their coaches got them all hyped up for the Stanford and UW games and then after those games they didn't have much left in the tank. That's some retarded Sark bullshit. Get the kids all hyped up for the big home games, and then shit themselves on the road when you can't replicate that same level of energy.

They are not doing shit in recruiting after they get exposed on the field this season. They will finish the regular season no better than 7-5 with a first round QB. Half their class will decommit, again. Just wait on it. UW under Sark. UCLA under Mora. USC under Kiffin, Sark, Helton. Tennessee under Butch Jones. Whatever comparison you want to use, they all fit. That's Oregon under Cristobal. Personally, I think Tennessee under Butch Jones is the best comparison because they recruit like the $EC in now and Cristobal is a loud mouthed arrogant prick like Butch Jones.

They suck at coaching and they're not bringing in better talent than UW. They're getting some talented guys but overall they're still weak at recruiting certain positions like ILB, D-line, WR (overrated WR recruits) and O-line (too many fat asses).
    What you saw with WSU and Arizona is pretty common with a young team with a less experienced coaching staff. Against WSU, Oregon came out flat from an emotional victory the week prior in an overtime game no less. I would actually like see what the win percentage is for teams that travel the following week after an overtime game. Even though they came out flat, Oregon did adjust well and got within a TD late from being down 27-0 at half. A great effort on a huge third down play for 37 yards on WSU's final drive prevented Oregon from having a game tying drive late.

Then they traveled the next week to Arizona, and had to try and dig themselves out of a deflating loss against WSU, this is where in a young team, the wheels can fall off (and they did). Even if it's common, the coaching staff needed to do better there. Oregon did not come out ready to play at all, and were mentally still in Pullman. For a first year coach, I'll let that slide, but it shouldn't happen again.

Utah? Shit, they should have won, but I wouldn't call it a debacle. UW played essentially the same team a couple weeks later and needed a pick six to win it.

1) He called a key timeout in the first half against Stanford. The analyst were mocking it, but it turned it useful on a third and goal adjustment that lead to a touchdown.

2) The most remembered one was the game winning touchdown run. Third and goal from the 6, Washington tipped their hat that they were in man coverage with help on Dillon Mitchell. Cristobal called timeout and adjusted the play call from a pass to a run, and set that up by putting Mitchell in motion which drew 2 Washington defenders out of the play giving Oregon a one man advantage on the right side of the line of scrimmage. As the Mitchell went into motion, Oregon ran it right behind the trailing Washington defenders for a walk in score.

Cristobal was far from perfect, but he did show me that he wasn't completely incompetent. He at times could adjust to what the opponent was doing. This is a prove it year for Mario. Oregon will need to take a step forward or that seat is going to be pretty warm in 2020.
    Lol, what a role reversal. Now Oregon fans are the ones making excuses about being young with an inexperienced coaching staff. Hmm, I remember them laughing at us when we said that about Sark's staff and roster. Everything you just posted is a bunch of bullshit excuses doogs used to say. "They came out flat after an emotional victory"and "had to try to dig themselves out of a deflating loss" and "young team". Holy shit that's amazing.

Oregon wasn't even that young. Veteran O-line outside of the LT. Junior at QB. Returning starters at WR and TE. Starting front seven were all returning starters. Entire secondary were returning starters. Most were Sophomores but they weren't first year starters. You were young at LT and RB and kinda young in the secondary and that's about it. Your best players were mostly Helfrich recruited veterans: Herbert, Dye, Amadi, Jelks, Hollins, Mitchell, and 3/5's of the O-line. Oregon was more veteran last season than young.
    No one is saying Oregon was young overall last year. At corner Oregon was young. Stop with Sark. He said he was young 5 years running and the dude had issues that Cristobal doesn’t. Also, Sark wasn’t out recruiting Oregon.

@greenblood Just said Oregon was a young team last season multiple times as an excuse for their losses. Read his post.

Oregon fans will be saying they're young for years and years as well. That's what happens when you have constant attrition and guys transferring out because they're from across the country and get sick of living in Eugene, OR. Next, Oregon fans will be not only using youth as an excuse but also attrition and injuries from playing players too early in their careers. It's the same exact shit as Sark at UW.

Cristobal isn't out-recruiting UW. UW's 2019 class is better than Oregons. Oregon's off to a fast start as usual in 2020 because they take soft commitments. UW doesn't.

Half the conference was "out-recruiting" Petersen when he showed up to UW based on the star ratings. What happened the years following that? Oh that's right, Petersen built UW into the conferences best program with those lesser rated classes. We have the best coach and Cristobal is down the list.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    DJDuck said:

So I have you jotted down for Oregon going 7-5. I will be sure and look you up on that at the end of the season. If I were you I would be dreaming up excuses already.😂
    Your team is significantly worse on the road than at home. Your team got spanked on the road against WSU and Arizona and the Utah game wasn't nearly as close as Oregon made it look. Now you think they're all of a sudden gonna beat Auburn, Stanford, USC, and UW on the road after losing most of their best veteran talent? You're delusional. They won't win a single one of those games and will drop another they should win. If they still can't beat WSU, that's another 6-6 season. I seriously doubt you'll still be posting on this board after the season. You'll disappear after Oregon fails to meet your irrational expectations.
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

lawsandl said:

No one is saying Oregon was young overall last year. At corner Oregon was young. Stop with Sark. He said he was young 5 years running and the dude had issues that Cristobal doesn’t. Also, Sark wasn’t out recruiting Oregon.

@greenblood Just said Oregon was a young team last season multiple times as an excuse for their losses. Read his post.

Oregon fans will be saying they're young for years and years as well. That's what happens when you have constant attrition and guys transferring out because they're from across the country and get sick of living in Eugene, OR. Next, Oregon fans will be not only using youth as an excuse but also attrition and injuries from playing players too early in their careers. It's the same exact shit as Sark at UW.

Cristobal isn't out-recruiting UW. UW's 2019 class is better than Oregons. Oregon's off to a fast start as usual in 2020 because they take soft commitments. UW doesn't.

Half the conference was "out-recruiting" Petersen when he showed up to UW based on the star ratings. What happened the years following that? Oh that's right, Petersen built UW into the conferences best program with those lesser rated classes. We have the best coach and Cristobal is down the list.
    WTH are you talking about? Oregon is veteran next year. The kids transferring out are kids getting processed. Oregon is returning 17 starters
  • Options

DJDuck said:

So I have you jotted down for Oregon going 7-5. I will be sure and look you up on that at the end of the season. If I were you I would be dreaming up excuses already.😂
    Your team is significantly worse on the road than at home. Your team got spanked on the road against WSU and Arizona and the Utah game wasn't nearly as close as Oregon made it look. Now you think they're all of a sudden gonna beat Auburn, Stanford, USC, and UW on the road after losing most of their best veteran talent? You're delusional. They won't win a single one of those games and will drop another they should win. If they still can't beat WSU, that's another 6-6 season. I seriously doubt you'll still be posting on this board after the season. You'll disappear after Oregon fails to meet your irrational expectations.
    Oregon was also significantly more penalized the year before last and that got corrected. Things change.
  • Options

DJDuck said:

Best veteran talent...like all 4 guys. lol.

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2019

So many fucking ifs. We are not Stanford, we have already surpassed anything they have done recently.
    Except for that whole win a major bowl game thing.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

So many fucking ifs. We are not Stanford, we have already surpassed anything they have done recently.
  • Options
    DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

DJDuck said:

Oregon was ahead mid way through the 4th quarter you imbecile.

Here's the box score, since you obviously didn't watch the game

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401012789

Oh and Ahmed>Gaskins
  • Options
    lawsandl said:

lawsandl said:

WTH are you talking about? Oregon is veteran next year. The kids transferring out are kids getting processed. Oregon is returning 17 starters
    Nope, they'll be too young at WR. That'll be the next excuse this season when they lose games.
  • Options
    lawsandl said:

DJDuck said:

Oregon was also significantly more penalized the year before last and that got corrected. Things change.
    Only way they could go was up. They were the most penalized team in the country before last season.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper

How many times has Pete compared this program to Boise State? If that isn’t trying to be small world successful instead of a Clemson, USC, Miami, Bama like dynasty, not sure what to tell ya.
    If Petersen wanted this to be BSU he would have stayed in Boise. Hth
    Please, tell me again, how well did his time end at Boise State? Did they build upon the talent that Hawkins & Kellen Moore built or did they max out trying to under recruit and outsmart Nevada, Fresno State, and Air Force.
    Fucking Lol. The talent Hawkins built? I can't tell if youre trolling or not. Hawkins had nothing to do with Petersen's multiple undefeated seasons and COY awards. His last two BSU teams werent his best, but that has shit to do with wanting to compete with the big boys on the biggest stage. He got to the fucking playoff in year 3.
    Chris Petersen won his first COY award in his first year after Hawkins left..... but why actually do research you have revisionist history.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    lawsandl said:

DJDuck said:

Best veteran talent...like all 4 guys. lol.

You laugh at losing those four guys and yet without those guys Oregon wouldn't have become bowl eligible last season. Just take Mitchell off of Oregon's roster last season and they would have had a losing record. Your perception of Oregon is delusional. They're not nearly as good as you think they are and this season they won't have a cupcake schedule to gain confidence and momentum early in the season. It will be a straight ass kicking right out the gate and then a bunch of really tough road games to follow. That'll be another excuse. The schedule won't be fair to Oregon.
  • Options
    LaMichael_CorleoneLaMichael_Corleone Member Posts: 1,316
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Gladstone said:

- Amazes me they fired Leavitt but kept Arroyo. Yikes. Forfeiting an entire season and Herbert’s career until that’s fixed. Surprised the more critical Duck fans aren’t more concerned. Maybe he’ll be better I guess? That’s the plan?
    - Oregon had objectively the easiest schedule since at least the formation of the P 12 last year. They also got to play Washington after a bye week, while Washington was coming off a road game. Wilner has written extensively on the P12 suiciding itself like that, accounts for > 50% of top team losses since 2012.
    - There is plenty of data on Cristobal as a head coach with middling to comparable talent related to his conference foes. Why are so many in the LIPO camp here? He is not an unknown entity here. The Jim Mora comparison is a good one until he proves he can break through. Meathead recruiter who can jack his team up for home games but hasn’t won anything of consequence.
    - I’d be very curious what effect Urban or anyone else at USC would have on Oregon recruiting going forward. Similar fast strategy kids for the most part.

All the Husky angst about Oregon makes me feel like I’m missing something. Oh they are recruiting well? ok

Pretty sure Leavitt was so fed up he just quit because in the latest article about him he said he has no interest to coach and just lives in Boulder hahahaha
  • Options
    DJDuck said:

Oregon's DB room has never been deeper or as talented as 2019

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Oregon-football-recruiting-DB-room-132036786/

Lol what a fucking quook. You think an article written by some Oregon blowhard who's job is to hype Oregon up as much as possible is evidence? What an idiot you are.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,517
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

How many times has Pete compared this program to Boise State? If that isn’t trying to be small world successful instead of a Clemson, USC, Miami, Bama like dynasty, not sure what to tell ya.
    If Petersen wanted this to be BSU he would have stayed in Boise. Hth
    Please, tell me again, how well did his time end at Boise State? Did they build upon the talent that Hawkins & Kellen Moore built or did they max out trying to under recruit and outsmart Nevada, Fresno State, and Air Force.
    Fucking Lol. The talent Hawkins built? I can't tell if youre trolling or not. Hawkins had nothing to do with Petersen's multiple undefeated seasons and COY awards. His last two BSU teams werent his best, but that has shit to do with wanting to compete with the big boys on the biggest stage. He got to the fucking playoff in year 3.
    Chris Petersen won his first COY award in his first year after Hawkins left..... but why actually do research you have revisionist history.
    Oh got it, so Hawkins was going to do the same thing, right? Hawkins also would have gone undefeated 4 years later for his second COY award.

How about we look and see what Pete did at a P5 school versus how Hawkins did.

Are we fucking done here?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Gladstone said:

- Amazes me they fired Leavitt but kept Arroyo. Yikes. Forfeiting an entire season and Herbert’s career until that’s fixed. Surprised the more critical Duck fans aren’t more concerned. Maybe he’ll be better I guess? That’s the plan?
    - Oregon had objectively the easiest schedule since at least the formation of the P 12 last year. They also got to play Washington after a bye week, while Washington was coming off a road game. Wilner has written extensively on the P12 suiciding itself like that, accounts for > 50% of top team losses since 2012.
    - There is plenty of data on Cristobal as a head coach with middling to comparable talent related to his conference foes. Why are so many in the LIPO camp here? He is not an unknown entity here. The Jim Mora comparison is a good one until he proves he can break through. Meathead recruiter who can jack his team up for home games but hasn’t won anything of consequence.
    - I’d be very curious what effect Urban or anyone else at USC would have on Oregon recruiting going forward. Similar fast strategy kids for the most part.

All the Husky angst about Oregon makes me feel like I’m missing something. Oh they are recruiting well? ok

You should know why Leavitt was fired. He figured he was on his way to a HC job and was not recruiting. Avalos is considered an excellent coach and was a big pick up for Oregon.

I agree that the schedule was easy last year. Oregon could go 9-3 and be miles better. In fact, I see that as a likely scenario.

Jury is out on Cristobal’s pedigree as a HC. He can recruit. He runs a tight ship. The team is much more disciplined. Is he out scheming teams? I don’t think he will ever be an X’s and O’s genius and I believe he wants to overpower teams anyway. Arroyo is supposed to be that guy. I have reservations.

Jim Mora is another poor example as well as Sark. Cristobal’s roster management is superb and discipline is excellent. Mora left huge holes in the roster and his teams played out of control.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,517
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

We went to the Playoff in a year we would have won the Rose Bowl in years past. Stanford won a RB, we got a playoff appearance.

But yes everyone agrees Pete needs to fucking win a big ooc game