Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Key West, Florida

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I went in January of 21 kinda by accident. Started out in Marco Island and learned about red tide so we left and drove south. First stop was Key Largo. We wanted a beach and there are no fucking beaches there. Left after a night and kept going south until we hit Key West. Still no fucking beaches worth a damn and doing anything water related like snorkeling wasn’t worth the relatively cool temps.

I don’t fish so I didn’t give a fuck about chartering a boat but like others say, it’s good fishing according to people.

I did not have a bad meal while I was there and I broke my rule of nachos x3 daily so that’s saying something. It’s definitely a place to drink from the time you wake up until the time you pass out.

It was definitely cool going and seeing it all but I have no desire to go back.

The main islands of the Keys that US 1 follows don't have a lot of great beaches, though there are some stunners. You just have to know where they are. Watch Bloodlines on Netflix and you'll know what I mean.

To me, the Upper Keys are kind of boring unless you are going fishing. 99.9% of the cool shit is in Key West.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I went there on a cruise. A carpet mill gave dealers and contractors a free cruise with free booze and food. What could go wrong

Key West was like you see on TV. I'm a not a big Florida guy. A poor man's California

California for all its fuckery still has a superior coastline to Florida.
    Superior to look at in many cases (not all); not superior to get in an enjoy.

Agree about when the ships are in. Last time I was there, a guy was walking with his girlfriend/wife/whatever got into an argument on Duvall with some guy whose job it was to get people to come into a gay bar. I mean, just keep walking dude. It's like getting mad at the card flippers on the Vegas strip. If those things anger you, go to Disney World and be done with it. Classic "just off the boat for a few hours" tourist.
    The FL water is too warm and designed for soft, swarthy types @creepycoug .

Southern California ocean waters feel just right to me.

And in terms of scenery it's not really close.
  • Options

I went there on a cruise. A carpet mill gave dealers and contractors a free cruise with free booze and food. What could go wrong

Key West was like you see on TV. I'm a not a big Florida guy. A poor man's California

Agree about when the ships are in. Last time I was there, a guy was walking with his girlfriend/wife/whatever got into an argument on Duvall with some guy whose job it was to get people to come into a gay bar. I mean, just keep walking dude. It's like getting mad at the card flippers on the Vegas strip. If those things anger you, go to Disney World and be done with it. Classic "just off the boat for a few hours" tourist.

Agreed on scenery, for the most part. Although the Keys have their moments and their angles, particularly at sunset.

I miss it there terribly. Why oh why did I fall for a blonde haired, blue eyed eastern European with her inferior genes and inability to appreciate movies like the Godfather?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Agreed on scenery, for the most part. Although the Keys have their moments and their angles, particularly at sunset.

I miss it there terribly. Why oh why did I fall for a blonde haired, blue eyed eastern European with her inferior genes and inability to appreciate movies like the Godfather?
    Pollocks > Moors.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,876
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2022
    The only thing Cali Pacific Ocean water is good for is shrinkage. Beaches are adequate unless you’re into get sandblasted.

Too fucking cold.

@creepycoug is right. Gulf coast waters and Atlantic beaches up to North Carolina are the shit.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,924
    Founders Club

We have a family place there and a lot of family history.

It's not for everybody, but it has this:

1. Beautiful architecture. Unlike a lot of towns that have high tourism, which sport store front veneers to make the place look old and charming, Key West is actually fucking old and historical, and there is a lot of that to see. Like the Casa Marina, built by Flagler of Standard Oil fame, or the Southernmost House or the Little White House. For such a tiny place, a lot of things have happened there.
    2. A great place for foodies, and always has been. There are great places to eat, from the very high end to amazing comfort food places and everything in between. If you're not good at the restaurant biz, you don't make it in Key West. There aren't a lot of 4x2 mile islands that pack more high-end food experiences, and this is one of them. There are even a few Michelin 5 stars, which is astounding for the size of the place.
    3. The water experience is superior to California. Sorry guys: the Pacific ocean sucks ass this far up north other than to look at. Give me the Gulf side of Mejico and the Caribbean any day over Cali coast water. This one's not even fucking close. There aren't a lot of great beaches on Key West proper (though there are some), but the good stuff is all over the place and short boat rides away. A trip out to Fort Jefferson would be unforgettable.
    4. Fantasy Fest is a mini mardi gras. You either like that or not. If not, don't go in October.
    5. Key West, and Florida, are at its best weather-wise when it's completely miserable everyplace else. While I'd pick western US weather over southeastern US weather most of the year, from about late November to about March, it's hard to beat KW and south Florida. Come April, you want to get the hell outta there.

KW is worth a visit, especially in the winter. The town has gone through changes ... the rough and tumble fishing culture that Hemingway loved so much to a renaissance in the early 80s driven by an influx of a large gay community that really made KW a destination for European tourists to what has become a place at which kids from SEC schools like to converge for spring break. KW has always had a party culture, and if seeing a girl getting a tattoo on her ass on Duval Street isn't your cup of tea, it's easy enough to avoid.

It's not Hawaii and shouldn't be compared to it. Though I'd take the actual town itself over any town I've been to in Hawaii, and I'd rather be in a boat in the Keys over any beach I've been to on Maui. That said, I've been to some beaches on Oahu that I'd rate higher.

The food in Key West was awesome and as our resident Cuban points out, great architecture.

• Options

The only thing Cali Pacific Ocean water is good for is shrinkage. Beaches are adequate unless you’re into get sandblasted.

Too fucking cold.

@creepycoug is right. Gulf coast waters and Atlantic beaches up to North Carolina are the shit.

you're goddamned right.

@creepycoug you can collect your contingent fee now. This case is closed.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

Exactly. Yella's always right about the Redneck Rivera.

Meanwhile I got hitched on the north end of main Laguna Beach below the ciffs and palms. Stunning and classy AF.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swim at Oceanside in April on a 105 degree day and then pop off

Surrounded by fire
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601

We have a family place there and a lot of family history.

KW is worth a visit, especially in the winter. The town has gone through changes ... the rough and tumble fishing culture that Hemingway loved so much to a renaissance in the early 80s driven by an influx of a large gay community that really made KW a destination for European tourists to what has become a place at which kids from SEC schools like to converge for spring break. KW has always had a party culture, and if seeing a girl getting a tattoo on her ass on Duval Street isn't your cup of tea, it's easy enough to avoid.

J?
  • Options

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

Meanwhile I got hitched on the north end of main Laguna Beach below the ciffs and palms. Stunning and classy AF.

Like we said: scenery is great. I’ve stayed at the Ritz at Laguna Nigel. Nice. Water? Trashy af. It’s for people who don’t know any better. Like you and Race.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,443
    Swaye's Wigwam

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

Like we said: scenery is great. I’ve stayed at the Ritz at Laguna Nigel. Nice. Water? Trashy af. It’s for people who don’t know any better. Like you and Race.
    I've been to South Florida twice Fidel

Miami in 84 and West Palm in 99.

California is better

It just is

Ski slopes an hour from the beach

Florida is a reclaimed swamp with bugs
  • Options

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

And your dick immediately shrunk in that frigid water.

Nice wedding night gift. Gives new meaning to the term “coxswain”

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

California is better

It just is

2 girls for every boy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

And your dick immediately shrunk in that frigid water.

Nice wedding night gift. Gives new meaning to the term “coxswain”

Hardly. The rejuvenating waters help with blood flow.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited August 2022

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

California is better

It just is

In the good old continential USA I don't know how you improve on the beach in Laguna.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

California is better

It just is

In the good old continential USA I don't know how you improve on the beach in Laguna.
    Then go to Laguna. I’d rather swim elsewhere.
  • Options

Too fucking cold.

you're goddamned right.

California is better

It just is

West coast beaches suck balls. But if you’re into that, then have it.