Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Which Seattle Star's departure hurt you the most?

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

Which Seattle Star's departure hurt you the most? 57 votes

Russell Wilson
3%
TheHBNeighbor2972 2 votes
Gary Payton
5%
KimsCopperPennyJoeysinceredawg 3 votes
Ken Griffey, Jr.
50%
DerekJohnsonMelloDawgSwayewhlinderDawgtonaRoadDawg55Mad_SonCuntWafflegreenblood79smoothdawgYouKnowItdncchuckbiak1DooglesDoogmanRefundEwaDawgGreenRiverGatorzSourcesMiley_Cyrus 29 votes
Dennis Johnson
3%
vadawgEl_K 2 votes
Randy Johnson
8%
SweatpantsGeneralFire_Marshall_BilltheknowledgelargemargeTheRoarOfTheCrowd 5 votes
Ichiro
3%
dOgmastertheLSkid 2 votes
Richard Sherman
0%
Danny Tartabull
0%
Janet Reno
24%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverPurpleBazeNeGgaPlEaSePurpleThrobberMakaDawgpawzAlexishuskyhooliganLebamDawgNEsnake12BleachedAnusDawgdannarcUW_Doog_BotReignMan 14 votes

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Of note, the Tartabull trade to Kansas City devastated me for several years. Back when I was a diehard Mariners fan.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,361 Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

Of note, the Tartabull trade to Kansas City devastated me for several years. Back when I was a diehard Mariners fan.

First two votes in for Junior. Great minds....
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

I not much of a baseball fan and I was deployed in Bosnia when Junior left so I was kinda focused on other things like buying pirated CDs from Bosnians.

The only other one that comes close to hurting me was Payton but after the players strike in the mid-90s, I really didn’t give a fuck about the NBA.

So... Psalm Wooching?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,361 Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

I not much of a baseball fan and I was deployed in Bosnia when Junior left so I was kinda focused on other things like buying pirated CDs from Bosnians.

The only other one that comes close to hurting me was Payton but after the players strike in the mid-90s, I really didn’t give a fuck about the NBA.

So... Psalm Wooching?

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    ARod may have hurt me worse than any of these as it was kind of the accumulation of Randy and Griffey.

But Junior was by far the player I was most attached to.
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    NEsnake12 said:

It never hurts as much when you think that the players best years are behind them. It takes some hindsight, but on this list only Randy Johnson really had any seasons better than his ones in Seattle after he left.

The one that hurts the most in hindsight is losing Durant/Westbrook when the Sonics left. Those Thunder teams from the early 2010's would've been electric to watch in Seattle

Good post. Most of the people who left Seattle and went on to stardom weren't stars yet when they left (like a million Mariner prospects mostly). Randy and ARod were the two superstars who continued to be superstars post Seattle, with Durant not really a superstar when he left but clearly headed that way. Westbrook certainly became bigger than anticipated (though his legacy has fallen apart of late).
  • theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,820 Founders Club
    Randy Johnson
    dnc said:

ARod may have hurt me worse than any of these as it was kind of the accumulation of Randy and Griffey.

Gillick actually used the money saved on ARod to build a pretty fun team. Ichiro, Boone, Javier, McLemore, Abbot and Moyer maybe? were all signed with ARod money. The losses of JR and RJ were much more brutal to my younger self. I thought it was all over. Forever.
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

dnc said:

Gillick actually used the money saved on ARod to build a pretty fun team. Ichiro, Boone, Javier, McLemore, Abbot and Moyer maybe? were all signed with ARod money. The losses of JR and RJ were much more brutal to my younger self. I thought it was all over. Forever.
    Definitely agree, but I didn't know that at the time ARod left. And I was convinced that, like Jr, he had generational, top 5 of all time type talent (obviously I didn't know he had help at the tim).

They acquired Moyer in 96, btw, but not sure when they resigned him. Spotrac only goes back to 03.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,108 Swaye's Wigwam
    Janet Reno
    As Race said, Don James a huge number one. The entire Sonics team number 2.
    If I had to use one of DJ's picks, it would be Payton, except in reality, every one of the choices on the pole forced their way out.
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Fishpo31 said:

I was in Seattle the day the Randy Johnson trade went down. Mom was in Virginia Mason, I was holed-up with my dad in the little hotel across the street (trigger FRANNY comps)...walked across to the bar in the Sorrento Hotel for a beer, they announce it on the game broadcast, and 15-20 minutes later, in come Woody Woodward and Chuck Armstrong. I was the only one in the bar, and I had some interaction with both of them previously. Woody made eye contact, and asked "How you doing?", to which I replied, "probably better than you guys right now"...they laughed, sat down, and started buying me beers.

At one point, Woody looked at me and said, "I just traded a guy with a bad back that didn't want to be here for THREE big leaguers (Freddie, Guillen, Halama), and everyone in Seattle thinks I'm a fucking idiot"...In the business, this trade is known as a draw...csb

I see similarities with Russ, in that it became obvious that he didn't want to be here, a big star traded for guy(s) that no one knows or cares about, and everyone loses their shit...time will tell.

The Randy trade turned out terribly for the M's.

Guillen was far more fragile than RJ.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,397
    dnc said:

Fishpo31 said:

I was in Seattle the day the Randy Johnson trade went down. Mom was in Virginia Mason, I was holed-up with my dad in the little hotel across the street (trigger FRANNY comps)...walked across to the bar in the Sorrento Hotel for a beer, they announce it on the game broadcast, and 15-20 minutes later, in come Woody Woodward and Chuck Armstrong. I was the only one in the bar, and I had some interaction with both of them previously. Woody made eye contact, and asked "How you doing?", to which I replied, "probably better than you guys right now"...they laughed, sat down, and started buying me beers.

At one point, Woody looked at me and said, "I just traded a guy with a bad back that didn't want to be here for THREE big leaguers (Freddie, Guillen, Halama), and everyone in Seattle thinks I'm a fucking idiot"...In the business, this trade is known as a draw...csb

I see similarities with Russ, in that it became obvious that he didn't want to be here, a big star traded for guy(s) that no one knows or cares about, and everyone loses their shit...time will tell.

The Randy trade turned out terribly for the M's.

Guillen was far more fragile than RJ.
    On the surface, absolutely, I agree. But, at the time of the trade, RJ was 9-10 with a 4-plus ERA. Post-trade, he was 10-1, 1.28. (Yes, I googled it, I'm not THAT much of a nerd, LOL!). He was pissed since before spring training that they didn't make an offer to extend, and he bitched out. Medicals played a big role in that, and you win some and lose some. IIRC, they never would have gotten Sele in 2000, because he signed with Baltimore, and their doctors wouldn't sign off on it.