Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Which Seattle Star's departure hurt you the most?

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2022
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    I was definitely all Griffey. He was my idol as a kid. But I’m surprised ARod was left off.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Kemp hurt the most. I was obsessed with the mid 90s sonics and I couldn't understand it.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

sonics with kd

Ehh. Easy to say now. We had him for one year as a 19 year old rookie. I think everyone knew he'd be good, but not sure people were projecting him as a top-10 all time as you probably can do now.
    it was obvious he was gunna be a star. He averaged 21 a game on 44% from the field as a 7 ft 19 year old 2 guard.
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

sonics with kd

Ehh. Easy to say now. We had him for one year as a 19 year old rookie. I think everyone knew he'd be good, but not sure people were projecting him as a top-10 all time as you probably can do now.
    it was obvious he was gunna be a star. He averaged 21 a game on 44% from the field as a 7 ft 19 year old 2 guard.
    Yep. It was easy to see that he would become elite. Cause fudgie doesn't like to just throw that word around.
  • Options
    HypnotiqueHypnotique Member Posts: 70
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Fishpo31 said:

At one point, Woody looked at me and said, "I just traded a guy with a bad back that didn't want to be here for THREE big leaguers (Freddie, Guillen, Halama), and everyone in Seattle thinks I'm a fucking idiot"...In the business, this trade is known as a draw...csb

Everyone thought Woody was a fucking idiot because he was (and a shitty GM). The RJ trade just went on to further prove that point.
  • Options
    HypnotiqueHypnotique Member Posts: 70
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    El_K said:

Dennis Johnson. We got 36 games of Paul Fucking Wetsphal . Fuck Paul Westphal

Another trade that got me torqued as a kid was Gus Williams for Tim McCormick + Ricky Sobers

Tartabull trade was when we realized the M's were the minor league team for the rest of the league.

Most of those guys on that list wanted out. I think Payton was cool with staying and that trade worked out well.

Chinned for Fuck Paul Westphal
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,846
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Janet Reno
    Steve Largent.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,132
    None.

I could quickly name 10 crootin misses that hurt way more than any of those choices.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,245
    Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

Fishpo31 said:

At one point, Woody looked at me and said, "I just traded a guy with a bad back that didn't want to be here for THREE big leaguers (Freddie, Guillen, Halama), and everyone in Seattle thinks I'm a fucking idiot"...In the business, this trade is known as a draw...csb

Everyone thought Woody was a fucking idiot because he was (and a shitty GM). The RJ trade just went on to further prove that point.
    Trading Jason Veritek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb, whom Boston later revealed was about to be released and came to the Mariners with a ERA over 6.00.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Janet Reno

sonics with kd

Sure, but kinda tough to act like it hurt bad when he was here for 41 games. Losing the franchise overall was what sucked then, but not so much now, IMO.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

sonics with kd

43%*

@IMALOSER_ spent many posts telling us why he was overrated and how a player with his inefficiency was really hurting the team.

Turns out Durant was just too skinny for IMALOSER's liking.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I lost interest in the Sonics when it was clear they were gone. Started when Kemp left and making the playoffs was the goal. Finished when Ray Allen led the squad to two playoff wins over San Antonio in a magical run to a series loss to the soon to be champs

Schultz was a piece of shit but Seattle had plenty of folks who could have bought it and built the arena. I was against public funds even though that was the only way to save it

Fuck em
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,947
    Janet Reno

I lost interest in the Sonics when it was clear they were gone. Started when Kemp left and making the playoffs was the goal. Finished when Ray Allen led the squad to two playoff wins over San Antonio in a magical run to a series loss to the soon to be champs

Schultz was a piece of shit but Seattle had plenty of folks who could have bought it and built the arena. I was against public funds even though that was the only way to save it

Fuck em

Fuck Steve Ballmer.

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    With options like Griffey, Randy, and Don James (Reno), how the fuck does someone pick Gary Payton? He was 35 when the Sonics traded him and predictably fell off pretty shortly after leaving. It's not like he was going to save the sinking franchise.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Janet Reno

With options like Griffey, Randy, and Don James (Reno), how the fuck does someone pick Gary Payton? He was 35 when the Sonics traded him and predictably fell off pretty shortly after leaving. It's not like he was going to save the sinking franchise.

The Payton trade was a fleecing of the Bucks.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,245
    Founders Club
    Ken Griffey, Jr.

Fishpo31 said:

Trading Jason Veritek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb, whom Boston later revealed was about to be released and came to the Mariners with a ERA over 6.00.
    I was pretty bummed when Jose Cruz was traded for Mike Timlin. I thought Cruz was going to be a star.
    I felt the same way. I was pissed off and wondering if they were intentionally trying to tank the team
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,324
    Swaye's Wigwam

None.

I could quickly name 10 crootin misses that hurt way more than any of those choices.

I almost typed this exact thing but was too lazy at the time.