Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

he gone

Comments

• Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

LawDawg1 said:

dtd said:

Arc said:

RTD said:

ntxduck said:

Emoterman said:

People forget that colleges are under no legal obligation to provide a football program

Just a few more tweaks and its dead for good

The emotional attachment of a 150 year tradition and people's love of Alma Mater U doesn't translate to the Montlake Junior Seahawks

The players will never get better pay than they get now over and under the table

And I've been told a college education is valuable except when it isn't I guess

I'd have loved a free education. I made my own business decision at 19 and decided 100's of thousands of debt wasn't a good plan for me.

Yup, thats me. Stacking laundry soap. I also have a healthy 410K, I bought a house and property with a pretty cheap mortgage, paid in cash for the build of another house on my property that my mom retired in and outside of my mortgage I have no debt. I'm certainly not rich but after being a drunk and a coke head for my early adulthood I haven't been entirely stupid with what money I did make. You don't need to go to college if you're not ashamed of stacking cans, digging ditches, building fences, pouring drinks or shoveling shit for a living. All of which I've done at one point or another. Someone's got to do it. Maybe Biden will come through like he said and get that debt off your record. I don't have that problem. I know, take it to the Pump.
    Whatever you got to tell yourself to not face the reality of earlier poor decisions, man
    I'm sure he would have been better off taking out $100k of debt to major in gender studies.
    In the 80’s UW cost $400 a quarter for in state. It pays to be old.

I paid 180
    Yeah, but that is like $5700 in todays money if we adjust for inflation since 1861.
    @RaceBannon jokes are so old.

Does that guy have any eligibility left? Seems agile and could be a good slot receiver.
    We can’t outbid Oregon’s NIL deal for him.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,055
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    HFNY said:

LawDawg1 said:

dtd said:

Arc said:

RTD said:

ntxduck said:

Emoterman said:

People forget that colleges are under no legal obligation to provide a football program

The emotional attachment of a 150 year tradition and people's love of Alma Mater U doesn't translate to the Montlake Junior Seahawks

The players will never get better pay than they get now over and under the table

I'd have loved a free education. I made my own business decision at 19 and decided 100's of thousands of debt wasn't a good plan for me.

Yup, thats me. Stacking laundry soap. I also have a healthy 410K, I bought a house and property with a pretty cheap mortgage, paid in cash for the build of another house on my property that my mom retired in and outside of my mortgage I have no debt. I'm certainly not rich but after being a drunk and a coke head for my early adulthood I haven't been entirely stupid with what money I did make. You don't need to go to college if you're not ashamed of stacking cans, digging ditches, building fences, pouring drinks or shoveling shit for a living. All of which I've done at one point or another. Someone's got to do it. Maybe Biden will come through like he said and get that debt off your record. I don't have that problem. I know, take it to the Pump.
    Whatever you got to tell yourself to not face the reality of earlier poor decisions, man
    I'm sure he would have been better off taking out $100k of debt to major in gender studies.

I paid 180
    Yeah, but that is like $5700 in todays money if we adjust for inflation since 1861.

Does that guy have any eligibility left? Seems agile and could be a good slot receiver.
    With those hips? He's a corner.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

I see all these new posts about Junior Adams and I’m relieved to see that it’s just hot talk on the value of a college degree.

Oh no - wait... Oregon hired him? Well. Fuck. Why would we(?) want him(?)

My two thoughts:
    1. A college degree is definitely worth it. Even if we forego all the non-tangible benefits of college and just use the raw averages readily available - with the hypothetical $100k of debt, it’s worth it. Unless you plan on living under ~12 years after graduation. Save your outlier examples, we do averages like civilized people.

2. Some of Lanning’s hires don’t make sense. But after Scott Frost all of Oregon’s WR coaches have been shitty, he’s the sixth one since 2016, so it might not matter. If he’s shitty like the rest have been at least its another notch on Oregon’s dicking-of-other-Pac-12-schools belt and a step up from hiring away Leach’s assistants.

1. Just not true, not today. Using averages from 2 decades ago when people made money writing for newspapers makes no sense. The cash me ousside girl made a million in a weekend showing her meth boobs. Trade schools make way more sense for the vast majority of people.

2. Memphis of the West
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,572
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

I see all these new posts about Junior Adams and I’m relieved to see that it’s just hot talk on the value of a college degree.

My two thoughts:
    1. A college degree is definitely worth it. Even if we forego all the non-tangible benefits of college and just use the raw averages readily available - with the hypothetical $100k of debt, it’s worth it. Unless you plan on living under ~12 years after graduation. Save your outlier examples, we do averages like civilized people.

2. Some of Lanning’s hires don’t make sense. But after Scott Frost all of Oregon’s WR coaches have been shitty, he’s the sixth one since 2016, so it might not matter. If he’s shitty like the rest have been at least its another notch on Oregon’s dicking-of-other-Pac-12-schools belt and a step up from hiring away Leach’s assistants.

1. Just not true, not today. Using averages from 2 decades ago when people made money writing for newspapers makes no sense. The cash me ousside girl made a million in a weekend showing her meth boobs. Trade schools make way more sense for the vast majority of people.

2. Memphis of the West
    I’d take Memphis West over Jimmy Lakes Vanderbilt for Life
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Who's Junior Adams?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Who's Junior Adams?

For like 3 years I thought he was one of their? WRs.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dtd said:

My two thoughts:

2. Memphis of the West
    1. Your observational data aligns with teachers telling kids to learn how to add fractions or they’ll end up as plumbers digging in toilets - but fail to mention that the plumbers make twice as much money as them. However the data I’m referring to is new and shows that based on earnings just two years after graduation 76% of BA/BS degree holders are earning enough to where ten years after graduation they should have recouped their investment.
    This doesn’t take into account the higher employment rates, health insurance rates, and the rates of not being in poverty. The study is from 2020/21 and didn’t take the rocketing inflation into consideration.
    The 24% of those who don’t recoup in ten years should still come out ahead in the long run and the numbers are skewed by more expensive private and for profit institutions. The obvious majors are the ones with poor return: religious studies, anthropology, film, etc.

It’s still true, maybe not as obvious as in the past, but go to a state school and get a degree that isn’t 100% fluff and you’re going to be better off than most people without one.

2. I wish, Memphis had some monster offensive numbers. This feels more like an amalgamation of a watered down, poor man’s Saban/Kirby recruiting wins system, with a strong Jim Mora flavor Jr and Todd Graham aftertaste.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    GhostofMosster47GhostofMosster47 Member Posts: 68
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    LawDawg1 said:

So glad UW had the opportunity for hiring Tyrone Willingham, Keith Gilbertson, Sark, and Jimmy Lake. Such solid decision making.

I'm sure they nailed this one though...
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Who’s Roi?

My liberal arts and sciences education allows me to easily grok that he's talking about this guy.
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    HFNY said:

LawDawg1 said:

dtd said:

Arc said:

RTD said:

ntxduck said:

Emoterman said:

I paid 180

Chico Rolle?
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The question is, who do DeBoer / Grubb hire as WR coach now? Is it possible a WR coach can walk (coach) and chew gum (recruit well) at the same time?
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    Swaye's Wigwam

LawDawg1 said:

So glad UW had the opportunity for hiring Tyrone Willingham, Keith Gilbertson, Sark, and Jimmy Lake. Such solid decision making.

I'm sure they nailed this one though...
    Your head coach is Jedd fucking Fisch.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dtd said:

Average IQ people who work hard can spend 6 months learning javascript, .net, and database management and make $110k a year, at pretty much any age. There's zero reason to play school unless you want to teach, or do a hard science that requires shit only a research U can provide. Or hell, just learn the adobe suite and be a "graphics designer".

6 months of that, if you didn't spend it building something real world, is still a pretty shitty developer.

The bootcamps are much cheaper than college but still mostly a scam that isn't preparing someone to keep their 110k gig for more than 90 days.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,257
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

dtd said:

My two thoughts:

2. Memphis of the West
    1. Your observational data aligns with teachers telling kids to learn how to add fractions or they’ll end up as plumbers digging in toilets - but fail to mention that the plumbers make twice as much money as them. However the data I’m referring to is new and shows that based on earnings just two years after graduation 76% of BA/BS degree holders are earning enough to where ten years after graduation they should have recouped their investment.
    This doesn’t take into account the higher employment rates, health insurance rates, and the rates of not being in poverty. The study is from 2020/21 and didn’t take the rocketing inflation into consideration.
    The 24% of those who don’t recoup in ten years should still come out ahead in the long run and the numbers are skewed by more expensive private and for profit institutions. The obvious majors are the ones with poor return: religious studies, anthropology, film, etc.

It’s still true, maybe not as obvious as in the past, but go to a state school and get a degree that isn’t 100% fluff and you’re going to be better off than most people without one.

2. I wish, Memphis had some monster offensive numbers. This feels more like an amalgamation of a watered down, poor man’s Saban/Kirby recruiting wins system, with a strong Jim Mora flavor Jr and Todd Graham aftertaste.
    *sigh

Re: data

Yes, let's normalize our inherently non-normal data for kurtosis and skew. The overwhelming majority of wealth made that drives up the averages is made by less than 5% of graduate earners.

Odds are those guys were going to be successful anyways so it's opportunity cost as I mentioned.

Use the mode instead of the mean.

Now reverse the process for non-graduates to adjust for people that college would have never benefited anyways.

Aka you can't fix stupid.

We haven't even talked about market projection and demographics out over tim.

TLDR YMMV and correlation ain't causation.